If A White Person Posted This… Sh*t Would Hit the Fan’: Michelle Obama Criticized for Speaking at Black Girls Rock

Avatar • Mar 31, 2015

Apparently we’re in a post-racial world and Michelle Obama didn’t get the memo.

The First Lady spoke at the 2015 Black Girls Rock Awards, held Saturday March 28, and she is coming under fire from fans on Instagram, where her team posted photos from the event.

I am all for the empowerment of disadvantaged groups, I just don’t see how alienating an oppressed group i.e. women by focusing on a subset of that group, helps anyone.”

If a white person posted this and it said white girls rock…the sh‑t would hit the fan.”

Black Girls Rock is leaving out all other girls of color. Brown is a color, yellow is a color, red is a color and yes, white is still a color. One day racism will end because we no longer NOTICE the color of our fellow human beings. ALL girls rock.”

The Black Girls Rock Awards were started in 2006 by former DJ and model Beverly Bond and are an offshoot of Black Girls Rock! Inc, a non profit mentoring organization dedicated to counteracting negative media images of black women.

The First Lady has made the empowerment of young girls through education a key part of her platform. Her Instagram account also includes photos of her visiting female high school students in Cambodia…

And showcasing female high school students in Guatemala and Paraguay…

The White House hasn’t issued a response and we can only hope the First Lady is unbothered. She looked fabulous at the event.

Michelle-Obama-Black-Girls-Rock-BET-Special-Zac-Posen-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-1

032815showsbgrallaccessmichelleobama.png.CROP.rtstoryvar-large

The Black Girls Rock Awards will air April 5 on BET.

Ladies, what are your thoughts? Are people right to be upset? Why or why not?

Leesha
Leesha

Lol jeaaaaaaaaaaloooous

She.
She.

Has anyone seen the documentary Dark Skinned Girls? There is a reason Black Girls Rock! exists…duh…After 200 years of slavery and only say about 50 years post slavery…we still have a lot of work to do in our Black community…

I salute Black Girls Rock! And I would tell it to any crowd of people on any given day!

April
April

As per the pictures of her in Cambodia, the first lady clearly supports girls of color in general learning and becomingn successful women in today’s society. Anyone who has any problems with her supporting Black Girls Rock don’t understand the damaging and negative images of black women that young black girls are subjected to everyday. Black Girls Rock is necessary and so are other organizations and programs that uplift women and girls of color. WOC are disadvantaged economicaly, and socially and need systems of support.

caty
caty

I’m so dang sick of this “all girls ” crap. WE BLACK WOMEN. DESERVE RECOGNITION GET OVER IT WHITE WOMEN. White people always acting like they get left out of something, dang Becky hush. I can’t do something without hearing “well blah blah blah white girls are blah blah blah too” I don’t care. I don’t have to recognize you, the media (excuse me) THE WORLD ALREADY DOES. Just like the dang blackout, idc what any of y’all say I will not, I repeat will not, give white women anymore recognition. Ima give it to my black girls who need… Read more »

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  caty

Keep going strong. I only wish every black person realised what you’ve realised by age 17! Black women are either invisible to the media or when they do include us it’s all to often in some negative light.

Ree Ree
Ree Ree

I can’t express my thoughts on this coherently. So much idiocy. I can’t fool with becky’s. Their the most neediest whiners, selfish, bunch of biddies on this planet. They have no idea what it’s truly like to be seen as invisible, ugly, worthless, loud, ghetto, masculine, aggressive, gold diggers, welfare queens, etc.

Here’s a nice middle finger to “all girls rock “.

AdinaKay
AdinaKay

#keepwhitefolksmad2015

smh
smh

Preach. They (whyte people) always wanna cry about something. They really need to get
over themselves. We, black people, no longer care for them or their
antics.

nikki
nikki

I think her supporting black girl rock has given her another platform to encourage women n girls to aim to be their best self..at this point it is directed to a particular set..black girls..there was no comparison to other ethnicities. .it’s just letting black girls know u r awesome and can be successful just the way u r..she has proven herself to be embracing of people of all races n national nationalities. .so if one group needs her to speak n they happen to be black..go for it Michelle. .

Bigantic
Bigantic

The person who made that “all girls rock” comment needs to get the memo of black oppression in America. Better yet, give her a history book. Maybe ten…

Yes, we know girls, in general, “rock”, but there is a big underlying social/political reason as to why events such as “Black Girls Rock” is vital.

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  Bigantic

Well said! I wonder if a similar movement was called say “Disabled Boys Rock” or “Gay Pride” if it would elicit such a reaction. Oh, that’s right they’re already championing those. Of course anything that threatens to raise the self-esteem of blacks/minorities however must be quashed before it gets ‘out of hand’. Some have worked so hard to destroy our dignity and self-love after all.

Oratilwe
Oratilwe

You see but the problem with countries like America hosting these awards is that when they do, it’s all about colour. What about African CULTURES? I hate to break it to you all but the afro isn’t a traditional african hair style, some african a prints don’t even belong to a quarter of African cultural groups either. So please could we forget about race which goes by colour and hair texture and focus more on culture and tradition which doesn’t need one to be of a certain skin colour to follow it - a fed up 16 yr old south… Read more »

cha
cha
Reply to  Oratilwe

What r u even moaning about? — a confused 16 yr old Zimbabwean girl

shay fi
shay fi
Reply to  Oratilwe

no white african girl is the same as a black african girl.

Reply to  shay fi

Lol ! Bloop

LimaCake
Reply to  Oratilwe

What are you talking about?

melissa
melissa
Reply to  Oratilwe

I am surprised that a South African girl like yourself would say something like that when South Africa has a lot of racism. I am Malawian, lived in the UK and did my university in South Africa and trust me colour/race matter in those countries. The reason why Americans have shows like these is because of the history that they have gone through and the racism they still face every single day. Even in South Africa, there is a lot of racism towards black people. How will focusing on tradition and culture eliminate the underlying issue which is that black… Read more »

Brittany
Brittany
Reply to  Oratilwe

Sigh, I am so tired of this. “It’s always about color! Why is it always about color!” Here is a reality check for those who can’t seem to understand: it’s about color because several centuries ago, a massive group of Europeans made it that way. Nothing is going to change the reality of our world. Race and racial problems will not just cease to exist. I’m not sure how afros and african prints have anything to do with the subject of this post. This post is about people complaining about an annual, nationally televised event in which black women and girls… Read more »

Ree Ree
Ree Ree
Reply to  Oratilwe

This is America.

Reply to  Oratilwe

Not all black girls in American are African natives, some come from the west indies, Brazil, Haiti etc . see ? That would just be a division of cultures within the black community and they just want to include the whole

lovie
lovie

I agree! A lot of white’s state “oh racism doesn’t exist anymore we should just get over it” but the truth is quite contrary. Walk a day in our shoes and you will see. For so long blacks, black women especially have been made to feel that they are sub par, the bottom of the barrel, the least desired. Not only by people of other races, but by some black men as well. So, excuse us for taking an hour segment or one day out of the year to appreciate ourselves because no one else is!

kalexa1
kalexa1
Reply to  lovie

Well said!

Sophie
Sophie

The response to this was really strange. If there was something like a “Native American Girls Rock” event I’d be like yeah they do! And continue on with my life. It’s really petty to be part of the majority and whine when minorities leave you out for a minute! Plus it’s not like they were putting other girls down, they were lifting a historically maligned and still not properly valued group up. People are selfish.… it’s all about me, me, me.

Angie
Angie
Reply to  Sophie

I agree Sophie, i just had a conversation yesterday with a friend about we valuing self to the point of making irrational comments or decisions based on our biases. It should never be about self but everyone around us, which seems to be the case with the Black Girls Rock org.

MalibuStacy
MalibuStacy

For anyone whose first response to Black Girls Rock is “all girls rock”, I’d like them to google “beautiful women” and tell me how many are women of color. I’ll wait…

That is the reason we need BGR movement.

cheryl
cheryl
Reply to  MalibuStacy

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to  MalibuStacy

Then also for some added proof look up beautiful/handsome men, and beautiful children

Jas
Jas

As I was getting ready for work this morning I thought the same things this article pointed out…the First Lady has visited other countries and embraced the culture and the struggles other countries are facing. Why can’t Michelle Obama do the same for Black people? I don’t understand the scrutiny and the backlash to Black Girls Rock or why some people want to pretend that the European standard of beauty isn’t still being pushed heavily in the media. Everyone wants to see themselves represented in the world. I applaud Michelle Obama for attending this year’s Black Girls Rock and hopefully… Read more »

Ghanana
Ghanana

I get what the “fan” was trying to say but I have grown up in world where I am black first before I am acknowledged as a woman and history denotes that. being a black woman is not being a subset of being woman. being black woman is a subset of being black.

Chevanne
Reply to  Ghanana

True. Remember that early women’s rights movements did not include black women. Sojourner Truth asked in a speech, “Ain’t I a woman?” Her blackness came first.

Reply to  Ghanana

Geneva Momma-loveofcooking Duk
Geneva Momma-loveofcooking Duk

Here we go with this race thing again.Let put our attention on these bad so call policeman that are killing OUR BLACK YOUNG CHILDRENS FOR NO REASON AT ALL AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT..And BLACK GIRLS DO ROCK..WE ALL DO.NO SHADE INTENTED…Everytime we as Black peoples come together for a good cause SOMETHING BAD IS ALWAYS SAID..PONDER ON THAT..

cheryl
cheryl

Hell No they don’t have a right to be upset! Whites look for race in EVERYTHING and like the projectionist hypocrites that they are — accuse us of the very thing they do all the time. Give me a break!

Bimpe Femi-Gureje
Bimpe Femi-Gureje

She is only 16. And i believe trying to understand

Mary
Mary

When someone publishes a study trying to scientifically prove that your girls are ugly..then you can talk…until then…sit down and sh#t up!!!!!

Yaya
Yaya

Anything by black people for black people, causes some to clutch their pearls lol. I wish those so concerned about this show worry unarmed black boys being shot or trying to integrate more jobs with black people. You do that FIRST and we can have BET create a “White Girls Rock Too” show lol

Dee
Dee

I’m sick of some white folks attempting to mentally enslave us.

Reply to  Dee

Lmao right ?? We’ve come a long way from the chains honey.

obby
obby

To the white people or anyone else that seem to have a problem with this. There is no denying what society deems as standard beauty. It sure isn’t black beauty. Why can’t you see this? We’ve seen it for decades constantly shoved in our faces via media etc. Also, have you forgotten the history of black people not only in America, but all over the world? Or anyone that is dark for that matter? If the native Indians, or the dark East Indians, Aborigines and other shunned and oppressed groups were to create their own version of this *^&%& girls… Read more »

sue
sue
Reply to  obby

Double Amen!!!!!!!!!

Tiera Chanel
Tiera Chanel

Thank you Nicole Archie! Black love does not mean white hate. So anyone who has a problem with Michelle Obama speaking at the Black Girls Rock event can suck it.

You right, love

Tabatha
Tabatha

Those people complaining need to go to Telemundo type programming and Asian type programing they have their own version. It’s not a bad thing that black women would like to have a moment to toot our own horns. To celebrate us. To show our young daughters that we are more than just baby mamas and mules for our gangster boyfriends, or what ever negative visuals that we see. If you don’t show your kids that you can be better tat you can do better than how will they be inspired and motivated? Please trolls, trolls every where and not a… Read more »

kalexa1
kalexa1

This just goes to prove that white people can strain at gnats too and be just as dogmatic as the black people they criticise for raising issues that make them uncomfortable. So, would such hypocrites be happy with something like “Marginalised minority women rock”?? I was once on my way out the office to attend a Black Secretaries Workshop, when my affronted white colleague asked me (in an angry tone) ‘Why do you need a BLACK Secretaries Workshop anyway?!!’ I told her maybe for the same reason many ex-pats leave the UK and all decide to live & socialise together… Read more »

clever_moniker

People want to hijack any movement black people have for themselves. Of course all girls rock, but right now we’re focusing on black girls. We’re trying to get them to love themselves since there is both cursory and serious research revealing a black woman’s perceived undesirability in comparison and the fact that her success is correlated with her likelihood to stay unmarried and/or childless. White girls have the remainder of media including award shows, television shows, magazines and websites to validate their beauty and worth. Not here for white tears and attempts at misdirection. And they shouldn’t kid themselves about… Read more »

Reply to  clever_moniker

Yes girl yes !

Nicole Archie

I dont understand why yall think black love equals hate to the other races ? Why do white people consistently compare themselves to us ? We are an oppressed group, so what if we get a little attention?? Whites have all the attention in the world by the media and it’s positive always ! Y’all are so insecure and its really sad . And I think its such bs when y’all change things from black or Muslim lives matter to all, because no you don’t mean all, you just want yourself to be included, because had she said black and… Read more »

sue
sue
Reply to  Nicole Archie

Amen!!!!

gr8p
gr8p
Reply to  Nicole Archie

I don’t understand why y’all think black love equals hate to the other races?’

Ummmm…because that is EXACTLY what ‘white power’ and the white power movement is: HATRED FOR ALL OTHER RACES. They just automatically assume it is the same for everyone else.

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  Nicole Archie

I agree with you!!! I’m tired of our celebration of one another being a threat or an insult to those who do not identify as Black. Whites and Asians rock so much that they can have their own private networks of housing and employment and don’t have to share the info with Blacks and Latinos. Come on!

Ashes69
Ashes69

Simply put, people who are not “people of color” haven’t been oppressed for years, looked down upon because of the color of their skin, denied rights because of the color of their skin, have been hosed down, forced to use certain restrooms, water fountains or told where to ride on public transportation because of the color of their skin. They weren’t plucked from their native countries and forced to work in fields to yield profits for other non-people of color. Simply put, we have had to endure the struggles, persecution and various trials that people who aren’t “people of color”… Read more »

Chaz Johnson
Chaz Johnson

Where in the devil was Michelle’s daughters if black girls rock!