Good Idea or No? Dark and Lovely Releases Products Based on the LOC Method

Avatar • Mar 12, 2015

Today’s beauty industry is like one huge buzzword. Since consumers, especially those with natural hair, began educating themselves more and have taken on a DIY approach to hair care, tons of terms and techniques have been created. And if you watch TV, you’ll see several of them in commercials. I don’t even recall seeing a brand not 100% marketed towards black women even mention relaxers, let alone mimic its application in a commercial, until last week. So it’s clear to me that with the abundance of hair forums, blogs and YouTube channels, these companies are on the web doing tons of research. Now they want to capitalize on it, providing us with fairly affordable products that are readily available (and often on sale).

11035704_784819808265220_9066148842784246081_n

In the latest, Dark and Lovely’s Au Naturale line has released a system based on the L (Liquid). O (Oil). C (Cream). method. If you aren’t familiar with the L.O.C. routine, it mainly focuses on moisture retention by apply products in a specific order to moisturize your hair, then keep that moisture from diminishing. Ladies in natural hair forums began sharing their L.O.C. techniques with one another, and it quickly became one of well-known methods of caring for natural hair, along with oil rinsing, cowashing, finger detangling, and deep conditioning. So now Dark and Lovely came out with an entire line for this natural hair regimen — remember when companies used to emphasize (pseudo?) science and “facts” to sell products? Their line consists of a shampoo, deep conditioner, liquid leave-in, oil blend, and sealing cream. There you have it — a complete system for your natural hair care routine.

I’m not calling it necessarily bad, because if a routine works, hey, why not make it easier for consumers to get their routines in order? Also, it’s good to see that companies are actually doing research and learning their audience. However, I’m a little bit skeptical as to how much research they do beyond the community’s surface to measure the effectiveness of the alleged healthy hair practice. Because there have been several things that we thought were good for our hair in the past (e.g. frequent washing) that turned out to be more harm than good.

Furthermore, just because a company uses a buzzword doesn’t mean they actually know the meaning or significance behind it — think of when they use models with loose curls to show “kinky” hair.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15710-1403282924-5

But let’s get back to the Dark and Lovely line for a second — their L.O.C. line, while claiming to maximize moisture retention, actually contains ingredients that are often seen as enemies of moisture to naturals, including simethicone, amodimethicone, isopropyl alcohol and fragrance high on ingredients lists.

So could this line (and lines like it) cause a new natural to think that they’ve found an “insta-regimen” and neglect their own research, when in fact there are better things out there? The potential is an interesting circle of events, as many of us began researching natural hair care on our own because several of the products we were taught to use on relaxed hair were not beneficial — I know more than one of you thought you were truly moisturizing with an oil, I certainly did! As mentioned above, the true effectiveness of the practice or routine being highlighted may also be debatable. Several stylists and hair care experts claim that it’s impossible to seal moisture into the hair anyway, so what’s the point? You may look to a one-size-fits-all solution when a little trial and error would be in order. And where’s the fun in that?

These product lines can potentially make a great shortcut and save you some time on product selection, but make sure you are educated as a consumer and above all else, listening to your hair to ensure it’s healthy and thriving.

Do you buy full hair care systems from companies? Do you think that companies should lurk on forums and blogs for product research?

Curly Ts
Curly Ts

Too bad the person that coined this phrase did not trademark it. I remember seeing the video that introduced the phrase years ago, I just can’t remember the vlogger. Oh well, missed opportunity. Ladies before sharing game-changing info that some corporation is waiting in the wings to snatch up, trademark it so that you can be properly reimbursed.

froReal
froReal
Reply to  Curly Ts

It was chicoro, and i hope she gets the credit she deserves! I swear by this method. It changed my hair.

jjac401
jjac401

I would not buy full hair care systems from companies that are marketed mainly for relaxed hair. It seems to me that the large massed produced products are all about using cheap products so that they can get a return on their money. It is not about what is really good for the hair, it’s about making more money.

Rose
Rose

These perm companies want our money SO bad. It’s actually really funny.

Rose
Rose

Hahah! Oh my goodness that would be epic. All I have to say is that natural hair is winning.

MJCMorris
MJCMorris

I don’t relish the fact of buying products from companies who know nothing about black hair. Dark and Lovely is owned by Loreal a France based company. Many of the products on the market that you see advertised on TV for “natural” hair treatment are not good for your hair. Loreal has been cornering the black hair care market for decades under SoftSheen-Carson! The same ones making relaxers and greases for our hair! If I’m going to use the LOC method (which I do for my daughters hair) I can use good old water, olive oil and a Shea leave… Read more »

agman
agman

Lol. I am laughing at how much money these companies are making off naive naturals! I stopped being a product junkie when I bought grease. All I use is grease, water, and conditioner. Moisture for days. Hair soft like silk. Growing like weeds. Who needs LOC? Lol.

Aliyah
Aliyah
Reply to  agman

I use water oil and conditioner my hair is soft like silk and grows like weeds as well technically water oil and conditioner is the LOC method. Grease does not work for my hair and it smells sometimes I use shea butter too .

agman
agman
Reply to  Aliyah

And you’re probably not my hair type so it figures. Lol.

JazzWife

I don’t care about Loreal’s Dark and Lovely or anything they are trying to peddle. Not. one. thing.

Alwina Oyewoleturner
Alwina Oyewoleturner

I think you have to do what works for you. I recently got half the line from Dark and Lovely. I am skeptical. I will try it, but I don’t plan to re-purchase. I have plenty of really awesome products I can use that work with the LOC method. Thank you for sharing!

Ajah
Ajah

I say to each it’s own. If the products and ingredients don’t bother your hair and it’s health then I say use it. I’m glad that they made a line for the LOC method that way those who are new to it, won’t have to guess on what to buy parse. If the line doesn’t work for them then they can return it and they’ll have a better idea on what to get for their hair, but just a different company. People need to remember that what works for you will most likely not work for me and vise-verse. Every… Read more »

Ajah
Ajah

ROFLMBO! Quick trade mark it! That way if they do they have to pay you.

Dee G-p

I don’t buy full product lines from a company, but I tend to use products from the same line with one another to ensure they mix well. I think it’s good that they have a complete line for folks just starting out and it at least ensures that the products work together. I think people will still do their own research on what works best for them and that the DIY movement won’t necessarily be halted

nia21
nia21

A girlfriend of mine used the twist gel and butter and swears by it. I have yet to try this line of products

Camille
Camille

I refuse to buy any products from Dark and Lovely. It disgusts me that mainstream hair companies like L’Oreal will try to capitalize off the natural hair movement without any knowledge of natural hair health and which ingredients naturals need. Putting a black woman on the front of their products doesn’t mean their products are actually any good for black hair. Most companies that sell “black” hair products but aren’t owned by black people are just vultures for our money. They won’t get a dime of mine.

danielle
danielle

I’m signed up to do a natural hair research study next week. I’m ASSUMING it’s for Dark and Lovely based off of the questions they asked me.
I have natural hair, and only use products with NATURAL INGREDIENTS in them, so this will be interesting.

Jonie
Jonie

We ask for more diversity in mainstream products, get it and somehow it’s still a problem? They aren’t doing anything different or out of the ordinary that other companies(predominately black owned or not) are doing.I.e researching and such so that they do a good job. Not all predominately black owned hair care companies products work on all of us. And surprisingly some products not directed to us, work too. So the complaints about that are immature at best. Before reading this article I had no idea this was a line by L’oreal. I just thought it was a random company,… Read more »

Christina Patrice

Personally not a fan of the whole LOC Kit idea from Dark & Lovely. It just seems predatory to me — I mean how long have folks been talking about LOC and LCO? And besides, if I’m not mistaken, Anu Naturals (small business) had a LOC kit first, and it was pretty popular on social media.

Trish1112
Trish1112

IKR, what’s next, a max hydration kit?

good2bfree
good2bfree

I’ve never bought an entire full line from a company. I’ve experimented with various products in order to find what works for me.

Cleopatra
Cleopatra

Although I was hesitant to try this brand, I do have to say their conditioner is amazing. I have major shrinkage and their anti-shrinkage shampoo and conditioner does work well. I wash with these two products about 2x a month. I haven’t tried the rest of their products

AfroOshi
AfroOshi

Well, I don’t buy products that are not black owned, but I find it interesting that many companies are moving towards natural hair care. But like you stated they are still using the same ingredients so there isn’t much of a difference between these products and their products for relaxed hair. This is oNE of the reasons why I use black owned hair products because I am buying products with quality ingredients which is more important to me then some cheap mess that won’t work.

Lola

What is up with the anti-shrinkage? What are they putting in it? A relaxer?

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Lola

That’s a good question. I have a lot of shrinkage and there’s nothing negative about it.

Sharon
Sharon

No, I have never purchased an entire kit from these companies. I’m more attracted to the idea of using natural ingredients or making my own concoctions using those natural ingredients. As I’m getting older I’m starting but discover I’m allergic to a lot stuff these companies use in their products so it’s best if I take more control over what I put in my hair.

Survived it
Survived it

I got this line in a kit I ordered which features new products/samples each month. I used it Friday night & my kinky coils now look like a brillo pad!! Even the twists I did look horrid. I’m going right back to my coconut oil and a bit of shea moisture milk which left me with shiny,coils that I loved(even when I fell asleep and it dried in the towel). It may work on others but definitely not me.