Animation Appreciation: The Simpsons Recognizes Natural Nigerian Author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Avatar • Mar 22, 2015

Many naturals know Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for her 2013 novel Americanah, and being featured on Beyonce’s song Flawless. Now the popular (and natural!) Nigerian author has been recognized by the Simpsons.

In the episode ‘Princess Guide’, a Nigerian princess named Kemi (voiced by Yaya DaCosta) is in Springfield while her father negotiates a uranium deal with Mr Burns. Moe falls in love with her and although she doesn’t feel the same way, she gives him four novels as appreciation for his kindness. One is Adichie’s 2009 book, The Thing Around Your Neck.

10987473_10155346785695296_5897335696458307632_o

The subtle shout out caught the attention of quite a few Adichie fans. We’re also loving the natural ‘do on the Princess Kemi character.

11053062_10155346785440296_615831199783689969_o

Check out the full episode below:

Any Simpsons fans here? Did you catch the shout out?

Bigantic
Bigantic

I havent watched The Simpsons in a long while.

Dee
Dee

It looks like the episode isn’t available online anymore. I love the Simpsons and I can’t believe that I missed it.

lis
lis

Physically she is a beautiful woman and I’ve read a few of her novels. That’s all I’m going to say.

HisMercy
HisMercy

Naija!

Eseoghene Ivijaro Omonhinmin
Eseoghene Ivijaro Omonhinmin

All four books were written by Nigerian authors! Naija, lets Go!!!!

@May
@May

One does not simply ignore genius because of disliking their way of thinking. I love this woman for standing up for herself and saying what she really thinks. However you might be free to ignore her but at the expense to miss out on great lectures. I myself did not like the ending of the book but I had to live with it!

may
may
Reply to  @May

I didn’t say I would ignore her. I just won’t be supporting her anymore. That doesn’t stop me from reading a found copy, checking out a book from a library or using their ebook system. I don’t agree with plenty of other writers that I think have some half-baked ideology. Doesn’t mean that there is no value in what they are creating. Genius? I think you’re very partial. I’d like to think I’m being a bit more critical.

Shamenth Barril
Shamenth Barril

i love it

ray333
ray333

honest question, why won’t you be supporting her? Is there some controversy surrounding her?

Adía
Adía

I love the Simpsons and I wish the princess had a romantic relationship with someone other than Moe

ebaiden
ebaiden
Reply to  Adía

like Mr. Flanders, or the guy that endorses the beer company.… or better yet, SKINNAAA! …

Ivie Erhunmwunsee
Ivie Erhunmwunsee

I think the ending of Americanah was unexpected and not the cookie cutter happy ending where the man does the right thing per say I do feel that art imitates life and she’s exhibiting the reality of what happens in society no matter how much it hurts ones feelings or violates your values. oh year and I’m super excited to see Nigeria get represented 🙂

Hadassah Agbaps
Hadassah Agbaps

#proudNigerian

AfroCapricornette
AfroCapricornette

Hadassah! I saw your hair pics and I drooled. Seriously! You fine well well, my sista. You use native shea butter, right? I’ll make my mum find some in Abuja and bring it here. What other native products do you use?

may
may

She is certainly a prolific writer but Americanah struck a sour note for me. I won’t be supporting her future books. Kudos to the Simpsons for writing this storyline and featuring a natural woman. The Simpsons is shown all over the world so it is not insignificant when this happens. Hopefully this will pique some interest in the other author’s books that were featured.

lis