Actress Teyonah Parris: I Had to Learn to Love My Nappy Edges

Avatar • Mar 2, 2015

teyonah1

Teyonah Parris is a certified hair idol and source of styling inspiration for many naturals. But recently the gorgeous actress, who stars in Mad Men and Survivor’s Remorse, took to Instagram to keep it all the way real about coming to terms with her tightly curled texture. She posted the photo above with the following caption;

I love my nappy edges, my clump in the middle that never dries completely, the shrunken, fluffy, coarse kinks that God has blessed me with! Took me a long time to accept that my twistout will never look like those IG pictures I drooled over in their ability to achieve an immaculate twistout, that my edges will never ever be SLICKED FOR DA GAAAWDS, that my hair will consistently be inconsistent, and that’s everything I’ve learned to love about it! Girl, you gotta learn to love what God gave ya and stop looking over there to the left!! #RealLife (For those interested this is a Bantu Knot Out ????)

Love it!

Ladies, what do you think of Teyonah’s honest words?

Check out a couple more gorgeous flicks from Teyonah’s Instagram account below.

SheridaDaily

Just when I thought I couldn’t adore her more — such encouraging words

Jacky
Jacky

Lovely and I love her hair!

AllegraJ
AllegraJ

Luv her, can’t wait for the new season of Survivors Remorse! Luv that show

Chevanne

Love this. I’ve said it before: fuzzy edges forever. I care for what I have, stopped envying slick edges and as a result, my hair is healthier and stronger. No thinning edges here!

HisMercy
HisMercy

She’s beautiful and so is her attitude!

Kary
Kary

Short yet interesting article. The question is “do we really love our kinky hair?” As part of a self-reconnection, back to roots journey, we embrace our natural hair and we claim “we love it, we are proud”. Do we really ? The truth is that is not easy. I’m a 4C thin hair so a hair very prône to breakage. I’m 31 and I never have seen my hair long except when I had locs. I am right now in TWA and I struggle so much. At times, I say to myself that I’d like to perm my hair (which… Read more »

Xtina
Xtina
Reply to  Kary

I think you are totally right! The goal is that we dont need Sites like bglh because hopefully one day it will be normal for everyone to Wear their hair in their God given State thus no need for reafirmation. Btw: i totally understand yourself: im 31 too with medium lenght type 4 hair, Never had long hair in my life, Unlike all my White friends (i life in Germany) and my soft, type 3 Haired sister…:( Lets just stick with it and hope it will Pay off and in between go for extensions and Most and formost remember that… Read more »

blindie15
blindie15

She is such a glowing role model!

Dee
Dee

I couldn’t agree more with Teyonah Parris. I never slick my edges.

Philly Jawn
Philly Jawn

i like that piece and eve though i do slick my edges i am comfortable when their in a puffy mess

sweetchuck
sweetchuck

Love Teyonah Parris!! She’s my celebrity hair role model!!!

Since going natural, I don’t even care about my edges like I used to in the relaxed days. It matches the rest of my hair now! And without the lye, my edges are softer and healthier than ever.

QueenHav
QueenHav

She is EVERYTHING!

Guest
Guest

Beautiful hair! Finally, a message that I can relate to. Unfortunately we learned to hate our God given features, but thankfully, we can recondition ourselves to love them. I always tell myself that God didn’t make any mistakes when he made me. We must not allow ourselves to fall victim to what sociologist have referred to as “whiteness” and I will tell you that since going natural, I have had to stare at my hair, edges and all, until I realized that the natural curl pattern and the way in which they shrink, grow up, out and eventually down my… Read more »