5 Stunning Pictorials of Perm Rod Styles

Avatar • Mar 1, 2015

Perm rod sets are hot with naturals right now — no doubt about it. And no wonder; the style is gorgeous and versatile, can be dressed up or down, and is heatless! The trick, of course, is to get it right. For some tips on what NOT to do, check out our writer Christina’s hilarious account of why her roller set was a fail.

1. Gorgeous Nigerian natural naturallytemi gives a quick rundown on Instagram of how she achieved this look:

Can you guys believe that I got this style on Freshly washed hair, as kinky as my hair is, I was suprised that I got such great results.
Plus I only used 2 products ???????? literally all I used was the @jsheaoil and the @frizzfreecurls new blueberry bliss control.

560247_1052427118107692_3722808676091582273_n

2. Beautiful Detroit natural nae2curly consistently slays with her perm rod styles! She broke down the tutorial on Instagram:

I washed my hair and put my hair in flat twists all over. I went to bed and when I woke up the next day, I took the twists down. For each section I brushed it out with my denman brush which created my afro. I used @motionshair to set my hair on the perm rods (large sections). Y’all know that’s one of my top styling foams. I then sat under my hooded dryer for about 1 hour and curls came to LIFE (your alternative is to air dry overnight) ???? This style isn’t about perfect curls it’s about SHAPE &VOLUME

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 12.18.51 AM

3. Galveston, Texas natural Dee Milburn aka juscallme_dee makes this stunning perm rod set look easy! The Instagram tutorial:

So I did a #permrodset on stretched out hair from a old permrod set using water, hair polish, shea butter, and home made flaxseed gel doing the roll and twist method for the first time and i love these results !

Justcallme_dee-pink-perm-rod-set

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 1.13.08 AM

4. Maya, of manely_maya, doesn’t give details on this perm rod set except to say it’s her first attempt. We say she did an incredible job!

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 12.35.09 AM

So this isn’t exactly a perm rod style, but we’re including it because it involves heatless curls. Naptural85’s gorgeous messy Curlformer bun is simple and elegant! We’ve included the video tutorial for your convenience! (Check the gallery below for a larger image of this pictorial).

Pinterest_Curl_Bun_Natural_Hairstyle_Naptural85

What do you think ladies?!
LBell
LBell

I think I’m gonna need y’all to get out of my head. 🙁 I JUST picked up some perm rods yesterday. I recently did a 3‑strand twistout on dry hair that came out beautifully so I thought I’d see if I could get similar results with a perm rod set. It has literally been YEARS since I’ve done either…I am very grateful to the sisters of YouTube for sharing their knowledge. 🙂

Chevanne

I tried a perm rod set once and it was a total fail. I think it’s because I was unclear about the base products needed and used setting lotion instead of something with more hold. I also didn’t have very good technique. My hair was really dry and frizzy. These ladies give me hope, though!

Veronica
Veronica

My perm rod sets used to be BOMB when I was relaxed. Now they just look a hot mess. All frizz. No definition. No style. Even when picked into a fro it looks iffy. So sad 🙁 regardless of the past failures I’m pressing my way into victory! I love this style for its ease and versatility and I want my signature look back!

ladydulayne
ladydulayne
Reply to  Veronica

Same here. When relaxed a roller set was soo easy, it was a no brainer. Since going natural, I have not had a good roller set since. Too much frizz. Oh well! These ladies rock them beautifully!

missna4u
missna4u

These MUST be photoshopped. The only time my rodded styles come out good, is if I twist my hair first and then use rods. Like Kia said, I be looking like a straight grandma with the end results

Tasha
Tasha
Reply to  missna4u

I had to change my technique to realize what I was doing wrong but then the end results were dramatically different. Don’t give up!

DNice5
DNice5

I absolutely ??perm rod sets! I use orange and tan rods. My hair is rather fine and this adds more volume. I can also use a pick to add more volume & an “illusion” of thickness. This is definitely my go to style!

ohhellyes
ohhellyes

If you’re natural and struggling to get smooth roller sets, make sure that you deep condition and smooth your sections out first with a product that works well with your hair before putting them on your rollers/rods. I use flaxseed gel and I get great results every time.

check it out
check it out

Tanya
Tanya

Nice hairstyles.

the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

tamika
tamika

So is perm rod considered a protective natural hairstyle. Pleease help

kia
kia

My perm rod sets be having me looking like big worm from Friday. I’ve tried several times. I be looking like somebody’s grandma in church. I give up ?

Crystal
Crystal

I am New at the rods having a hard time with it…