4 Edge Pomades that Tame Wash n’ Go Frizz

Avatar • Mar 25, 2015

For the past couple of years, it seems that several hair brands are incorporating “edge pomades” into their lineup. These products have a similar consistency to the Let’s Jam! Pomade of yesteryear, but usually without mineral oil and more natural ingredients. Used to often slick back edges and smooth hair for protective styles, edge pomades have gained a place in the product inventory of many naturals. But you may not have considered using edge pomades on your hair as a finisher on a wash n’ go, rather than a serum like Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle or Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper.

First, I know some of you are thinking, what’s a finisher? Similar to the goal of edge pomades, “finishers” are used to further decrease frizz and smooth hair when you’re wearing your natural hair texture. Also, they can help loosen the hold of a stiff gel and provide extra moisture and protection to the hair. I don’t think that they are required for one’s styling regimen, but I find them nice, especially if my gel isn’t strong enough to combat frizz or I’m using a gel that’s too strong, like clear Ecostyler. Additionally, edge pomades, when smoothed on top of gel on wet hair (definitely not dry hair!!!), appear to give me the same effect as a serum, while also being more readily available (I have to order my favorite serums while the edge pomades I like can be found locally). Here are my favorites:

IMAG0859_1

Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste and Passion Fruit Control Paste

I’m putting these two together because well, they’re basically the same product except for a few ingredients and the smell. The Curls pomades are my favorites because they have the best ingredients in my opinion. Each time I use these over my wash and go, my hair is nice and soft. The best thing is that both of these are available at Target for around $7–8. The blueberry version is a dollar more (at least it was at my Target), so go for the Passion Fruit unless you have an affinity for blueberry smells.

creme-of-nature-perfect-edges-4

Crème of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges Hair Gel

I was a little confused when I first got this since they called it a gel, but it definitely will do the trick for less than $5. The smell is a little cloying to me, but it fades over time. Since Crème of Nature is available at several drugstores across the country, this one is a good choice if you forget your products on a business trip or you’re in a pinch.

**Switches record** So I was about to mention the Carol’s Daughter Macademia Hold and Control Smoothie, but I went to the Carol’s Daughter site and it looks like this product has been discontinued. It’s probably for the better, because I think it cost around $20, and many people found this absolutely ludicrous, and for good reason. They now have a Black Vanilla Edge Control Smoother, and from the ingredients, it seems like it serves the same purpose as the products above. I’ll have to give this one a try – it’s only $8. I like the ingredients as well, as it contains honey extract, rosemary, and aloe vera juice. Interesting, I’ll be on the lookout.

Do you use any edge control pomades on your wash and go? Let us know!

FineNaturalHairandFaith

I actually tried it and no bueno for super fine hair. I felt like it was stressing my hair by the weight of it and it not having enough slip Therefore, I’ll just stick to use the edge tamers for their intended purpose…taming my edges lol

Elle D.
Elle D.

Interesting, it has a ton of slip for me. It goes on almost like a glaze. I use it on wet hair.

Balanced Melting Pot
Balanced Melting Pot

That’s what I thought of when reading this, too. When I use them on my edges, the texture is able “grab” and lay down my edges without the use of any tools. I couldn’t imagine having that same effect on my my fine strands. Since I avoid WNG’s anyway, I don’t think I’ll be trying this any time soon. On another note, I find that the Curls Blueberry has more hold than the Passion Fruit.

LBell
LBell

I’m having a hard time picturing this. Are you using it on a fully-dry WNG to help smooth and break up the gel cast or applying it to wet or damp hair like you would a styler?

(Why yes, I DO have a jar of Curls Control Paste that’s looking for something to do…)

Elle D.
Elle D.
Reply to  LBell

No, definitely on wet hair. I used it during my last wash and go video on my channel if you wanna check it out — Quest for the Perfect Curl on YouTube. I also posted some recent pics on my Facebook (also Quest for the Perfect Curl) using the pomades as finishers.

atlcharm
atlcharm

Won’t they be sticky? Most edge controls I’ve use are kind of tacky on your edges, but it’s okay because it’s a small area. I think on loose hair it will be very sticky and attract dirt.

Elle D.
Elle D.
Reply to  atlcharm

No, it’s not sticky at all and I get multi-day hair with them.

Chanda
Chanda

I don’t do wash and goes but that Curls Passion Fruit paste is the TRUTH when it comes to laying down my edges. The Creme of Nature Argan Oil one is a nice runner up, too.

Chanda
Chanda

I LOVE the Passion Fruit one but I’m gonna see if I can find the Blueberry one as well.

FineNaturalHairandFaith

I’m glad you said that because I actually never tried the Passion Fruit. The Blueberry works beautifully!

Oh and I know some have said make sure your hair is super wet. Doesn’t matter for this fine hair. it’s too heavy for a wash and go though out the entire head

DarDarWoo
DarDarWoo

I would need to see a demo on how this is used on wet hair for a wash and go,

Hair Anomaly
Hair Anomaly

I wear wash and gos exclusively, and I keep hearing about the benefits of using pomades but have never tried it myself.

Every time I think of putting pomade on my freshly washed and shaken mop, I immediately think of Mister from the movie The Color Purple, when he was trying to get sexy for Shug Avery and put all that grease in his hair…he looked like he was wearing a Crisco helmet. That’s what I imagine I would end up looking like.

renee
renee

I tired this and it worked great. The key is your hair has to be wet or it will be sticky and tacky. Thanks for the tip Elle

aosgrl
aosgrl

The Curls Passion Fruit control paste absolutely does not work for my hair. But i just like how it smells. I won’t be buying another jar. I just bought the creme of nature. Let’s see how this goes!