White Hair Stylist Refuses to Do Black Client’s Natural Hair — But Was It Racism?

Avatar • Dec 15, 2014

TGF1

A story out of Houston has us pondering race and hair again. African American college professor Dr Lisa Thompson went to the TGF salon in Houston and, when she discovered that her regular stylist wasn’t there, was turned down by a white stylist who repeatedly insisted that she doesn’t do “African American” hair.

On the one hand TGF is a chain store that should be able to handle the hair texture and length of any client who walks through the door. On the other hand, was the white stylist — who identified herself simply as Joanna — right in expressing fears that she would mess up Thompson’s hair? The style Thompson wanted was very simple — a wash, conditioner and blow dry.

The TGF Hair Salon has since offered the following statement:

We apologize to Dr. Thompson for her experience in our salon. At TGF, we are committed to creating a welcoming environment for all of our guests. We will provide additional training for our staff at this location and hope that she will consider giving us another opportunity, which will be complimentary.”

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Orange
Orange

I think it’s a failure of the salon to not be able to do all hair types. Heck, I’ve been to BLACK OWNED salons where black people more or less refuse to do my natural hair. Honestly, I’d be glad they vocalized their lack of skill before they mess up my hair, and so I can take my business and recommendations elsewhere. I don’t want to give my hair, money, and time to a business that lacks skilled hair stylists. EDIT After watching the video: WOW! The WAY she said it I find to be racist and intolerant, and it… Read more »

Juuuu
Juuuu

Joanna should have been able to handle african hair but I also feel like joanna was set up. When I go to a hair salon I always go with the aprehension that they will not be able to deal with my hair. I’m the one who asks many time “are you sure you can deal with that type of hair?”, “have you dealt with it before?”. It never happened but i wouldn’t be offended if it was the case. In that video it almost feels like Dr thompson has been harassing her about it. In the video shown i think… Read more »

rickeeta
rickeeta

Not everything is racism. This is taking this too far and embarrassing this girl for no reason. Just because someone is a licensed professional DOES NOT mean they are comfortable with doing everything under the sun. I was natural while attending cosmetology school and the BLACK teaching who was teaching “texture” was not comfortable with natural hair and said “girl, get a relaxer” so this is retarded. Also, I think the woman was not being rude but when you’re already embarrassed and you’re not a great communicator then you say things however you can get them out.

Veronica
Veronica

I don’t think it was racist at all…I would like to know the full story though. I think, here, she was expressing a genuine concern about her skills and ability to properly care for Dr. Thompson’s hair. Naturally she probably could have worded and expressed her fears a little more competently, but it doesn’t seem that she was being racist (from the info presented). Sure it was only a simple style, but a simple blow drying can wreak havoc on “our” hair if it is not done correctly. Would you rather a stylist attempt a simple style knowing she could… Read more »

Coffeeandfingernails

The last thing in the world I want is someone who does not feel comfortable working with my hair trying to do so out of fear of a lawsuit or public shaming. I’d much rather they be honest about their limitations than mess up my hair. I, unfortunately, speak from experience on this. But, as pointed out above, the salon should make it a point to have stylists that know how to do a range of types and textures, including AA textures.

Pen pal
Pen pal

Whoa,People are ignorant…people are so ignorant!

Siddeeqah Hofler
Siddeeqah Hofler

Stacie Danielle Reeves
Stacie Danielle Reeves

Heck I wouldn’t want someone who was uncomfortable doing my hair to do my hair, She very well may have just been afraid of damaging her hair.

Aadnois
Aadnois

We’re too quick to cry that these things happen because of racism or discrimination, when most of the time it’s a lot less deep than that. This white stylist wasn’t used to working with black hair, and even something that we consider simple (wash, condition, and blow dry) is still very, very different from what you would do with non-textured hair. I can’t blame her at all for refusing- if she messed up that woman’s hair, it’s all on her.

nononsense
nononsense

I don’t think it’s racism. While it’s unfortunate that the regular stylist wasn’t there, I personally wouldn’t entrust my highly texturized hair to someone with little to no experience with handling it, even with a wash/conditioner/blow dry. It seems “Joanna” didn’t have the required experience, so I think Dr. Thompson is/was better off.

Myllee
Myllee

Unless the woman had straight/relaxed hair it will might have been linked to racism but if the Black woman was natural which I am assuming she is, please remember people in beauty school are not taught how to take care of natural hair ( curly, tightly coiled etc..) even many Black hairstylists don’t know how to take care of natural hair as well.

Diahann Palacio
Diahann Palacio

This shouldn’t be a race issue; many women have to embark on a journey to learn the ins and outs of hair that has been on our heads all our life. I feel it’s unreasonable to nit pick like this; I don’t want a stylist who is not willing to work in my hair and I totally understand seeing as if I’m at a beauty shop, I don’t want to do my hair either.

LaShay
LaShay

I personally do not find it racist. You can’t truly expect her to know what to do with our hair, being that many of us are still trying to figure out our own hair. Even if she is a trained stylist, we just have to face the fact that their hair is COMPLETELY different from blacks. Also when I do find whites who are welling to do black hair, two things run through my mind. #1 Are they just eager to get into my head because they are fascinated (and probably don’t know what they are doing) OR #2 Hey… Read more »

Alicia
Alicia

I don’t see it as racist. All honesty I think she should have worded it differently and been a little more polite about it. Don’t say I’m afraid to touch it. XD. I think it is a situation that has been blown out of proportion though. Last time I checked there are a lot of people out there that don’t know how to do ethnic hair this to me isn’t surprising. It’s not taught in cosmetology. They only get a sheep wool wig to play with and that’s it.

Ebony Dawkins
Ebony Dawkins

The professor pushed this woman to the breaking point. If you called and the woman says,“the stylist you normally use doesn’t work here anymore,” why are you trying to FORCE someone to do your hair? I don’t believe the stylist was this hostile toward her at first. I think the professor pushed her beyond the limit.

Robinson Kyeshia
Robinson Kyeshia
Reply to  Ebony Dawkins

Usually anyone who works there should be able to take any client… it’s a business ..

Erin
Erin

If she’s not comfortable with doing my hair, I sure as heck am not going to force her to! I don’t even want to imagine the result!

mummy21
mummy21

The lady didn’t say it was racist — the article mentioned it. The lady’s point was that the way she spoke to her was hurtful- and she hung up the phone twice. And her hair is not that difficult — my god it’s not rocket science. Kind of made me wonder why people go to the salon for that kind of thing anyway..

OXxo
OXxo

It’s not racism in this case but bad commercial practise.

I have had my hair done by both Black and White stylists at different salons that cater to all ethnic backgrounds, and have had stylists at Black only salons refuse to touch my natural hair.

If a salon offers services to clients of all ethnic backgrounds like my current stylist does, then you should ensure that you have more than one person who can deal with different hair types. Otherwise you have will have issues like this when that stylist is not there.

mlank64
mlank64

I’ve seen black stylist refuse to work with natural hair because they only do relaxers or straighten hair with flat irons etc. I don’t see it as racist as much as she would be better suited to get her hair done by someone who has experience with natural hair.

Ladylanita
Ladylanita

I say this woman did her a favor. Better she tells you upfront then let her get in there, experiment, and ‘eff it up! I’ve had white stylist (English, to be specific) do my hair better than some black women. Race is not a hindrance for doing hair. But I did find it strange that when I moved back to the States, white Americans weren’t so eager to style it. Maybe they feel intimidated and/or really know nothing about our hair. Having said that many black American stylist I have been to weren’t all “experts” either. They could style but didn’t… Read more »

Ashley
Ashley

Would she really want someone who doesn’t know what she’s doing to touch her hair? Let it go

Anthro Pop
Anthro Pop

It makes sense for her to be honest and tell you she can’t do your hair rather than fuck it up.

Mardi Bishop
Mardi Bishop

I wish more stylists had told me they couldn’t do my hair instead of playing in it and taking my money. It’s poor business practice in this day and age, but I don’t see racism evident here.

Jasmine
Jasmine

If you watch the video the woman had very short natural hair. To simply wash and dry it is something a 5 yr old could do. Simple soap water blowdryer. That is why its it being called racist. Because she flat out refused and was supposed to have a license.

Mela
Mela

There are many black hair stylists who don’t even know how to properly do a wash and blow, shame on this professor, that lady said there is a lady who know’s how to do it well. As a stylist if she messed up this woman’s that’s a discredit to her and her craft. She never said her hair was subpar, she just said she can’t do her hair…now if she sat in that chair, and that lady burned her hair out she’d be pissed!

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren

I don’t expect anyone who isn’t familiar with my hair texture to know what to do with my hair, and I’ve had bad experiences when someone decided to try without telling me they had never do so before. To me the stylist did the woman a favor.

Seriously Natural
Seriously Natural

I would rather she tell me she doesn’t do it then becoming her guinea pig. She did her a favor as far as I’m concerned. She could have used some tact but again…let me know up front if you cannot or do not feel comfortable doing my hair.

kia
kia

If it were me, I wouldn’t have looked to a white stylist to touch my natural Afro textured hair. Not to be racist or anything and not saying a white person can’t do natural black hair, it just isn’t my thing. I’m not willing to put my hair on the line.

Robinson Kyeshia
Robinson Kyeshia
Reply to  kia

But it is in fact kind of racist …Lol

kia
kia

Because I have a preference of who i let dig in my hair? Have several. ????????????

Marsha Jones
Marsha Jones

I went to a Great Clips in Kansas City Mo. To get my hair cut, I showed the white stylist a picture of one of Lupita’s hair styles and she did a beautiful job cutting my hair. If she had said I’m not comfortable cutting your hair or that she didn’t have the experience cutting my natural hair. I wouldve left.

Bigantic
Bigantic

I’ve been to a very kind (Caucasian) stylist at a Walmart who said she wasn’t trained to do kinky textured hair and she explained that she never wanted to mess up and so one. She referred me to another stylist experienced in my hair texture and I was glad she did. The stylist mentioned in the article did not arrange her words correctly to come across as polite and clear, but I understand what she may have been trying to convey.

Taji
Taji

I wish we would quit cryng racism about everything!! Most white hairstylist aren’t trained to groom natural black hair properly. If I walk into a salon and ask if they work with natural hair and they say no, they aren’t comfortable, Im gonna say Thank you and leave.
Id prefer them be honest rather than pretend like they know what theyre doing and mess up my hair for fear of being labeled a “racist.”

Dee
Dee

I realize that they don’t exist everywhere but this article is an example of why more natural hair salons are needed.

cordelearts
cordelearts

If the woman doesn’t know how to do this type of hair, then she shouldn’t be required to do it.

When I moved to Orlando, it was hard for me to find a barber, because many of them were White barbers in the hood. (strange). But I ask them “do you cut Black hair?” And they said they didn’t, they weren’t comfortable. — I found no offense to that, and thanked them. Because for me, I would rather you be honest than mess up my head.

Moral of the story: Everything isn’t about race.

KnottyNatural
Reply to  cordelearts

I’ve been in Florida a looooooong time and even when relaxed, I couldn’t find anyone who could do my hair…and I had relaxed hair for 8 years! Since going natural in 2010, I’ve been to natural stylists who couldn’t do my hair! I’ve been in black hair schools and they didn’t know how to do natural hair. I don’t expect anyone, even those who say they specialize in natural hair, who can’t do hair. It’s all a toss up! If I go to anyone, it’s because of a recommendation and even then, I only use stylists to trim and blow… Read more »

Eshe
Eshe

Why would any black woman let a white woman be all up in their hair. Joanna said no because she wasn’t trained to do our hair, why would she in the first place? Her refusal doesn’t make her racist it makes her realistic.

Two things.

A) White owned salons are not obliged to be able to do black hair, we should have our own.

B) We need to stop throwing racism around like dollars at a strip club and actually develop an understanding of it

Here’s a start…

Eshe
Eshe

Two things.

B) We need to stop throwing racism around like dollars at a strip club and actually develop an understanding of racism.

Here’s a start…

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  Eshe

Thank You!!!

Lets hypothetically say that she was racist. I say: so what? We shouldn’t be allowing non-blacks capitalize off of our hair anyway. *shrugs*

Eshe
Eshe
Reply to  Ms. Vee

Exactly Ms. Vee, funny how we collectively feel the need to run off and give everyone but our fellow people business.

Robinson Kyeshia
Robinson Kyeshia
Reply to  Eshe

It was how she articulated not being able to do it… It does sound off putting. I have been to DOMINICAN salons that said they wouldn’t so natural hair… I think it’s lack of professionalism that makes it sound a tad racist, but I agree. She simply didn’t know

Nyia
Nyia
Reply to  Eshe

Like dollars at a strip club”! I totally agree!!

Likewaterforchoc
Likewaterforchoc
Reply to  Eshe

Thank you for this. Let’s be real here. When a white stylist goes to cosmetology school, they are not going to learn to do “black” hair. It is usually the same with black stylists. I do not think that this woman’s response was racist. What she can be guilty of, however, is lack of tact or professionalism. The reality is our hair IS different from white hair textures and it takes a completely different skillset to care for our hair professionally. I would accept someone admitting to the fact that they do not know how to care for my hair… Read more »

AdinaKay
AdinaKay

I personally wouldn’t want someone who is inexperienced with Black hair working on my hair anyway.
Unless the reason she gave for not wanting to work on African American hair was that it was disgusting or something like that, I don’t really see the problem.
This isn’t racism. We need to stop watering down the word lest it loses its meaning.

JazzWife

Hmm … I went to a white stylist once who told me she could do my hair when in fact she could not. I had to leave before she was done because … well, let’s just say, it wasn’t going well. I was more upset with the woman who lied to me about her skill set than I would be at the white stylist who was open about her lack of skill on my hair type. Nowadays, I do my own hair anyway. This is not a race issue, though I will say that if you do hair, you should… Read more »

Nyia
Nyia
Reply to  JazzWife

I slightly agree with this… you have to think of the beauty industry as you would the health field. Stylist specialize in the areas they enjoy. Some like natural hair. Some like weaves, some rather stick with makeup. In fact, we are often encouraged to specialize in a particular area as your Revenue & reputation will increase. Now here lies the problem with Hair chains… they normally have stylus for different things as everyone can’t do everything. I’m good with natural hair, relaxed, color, cut & other races, minus Asian up do hairstyles. That is my weakness! No person will… Read more »

jeen
jeen

Ridiculous. Why is she pushing it. She wasn’t being rude she was being honest…Some Stylist don’t do Caucasian hair. I don’t want anyone in my head who is clearly stating they’re uncomfortable…

Branishka Lewis
Branishka Lewis

I have been to black salons where I was told ” i don’t do natural hair” lol
so no, I don’t think it’s a race thing. I don’t think that automatically assume that just because you a hair stylist you should be able to do all hair types. Hell, i don’t feel comfortable letting someone with “non natural” hair deal with my hair lol… But that’s just me.

V.M
V.M

Why was a black woman going to a white salon to get her hair done anyway? She obviously didn’t know how to do natural hair (who can blame her? She’s white) and so she wasn’t going to do someone’s hair and potentially f*ck it up.

Kitt
Kitt

For everyone saying “everything isn’t about race” and citing this as an example. Please STOP. Is the stylist racist? Hmmmm… lets see. No, not if she takes this as a learning experience and makes a concerted effort (which it will take just that, EFFORT) as a white woman/person serving a diverse community, to learn how to service every person who walks through that door, INCLUDING Black individuals with afro textured hair because last I checked… we have hair too. But hey, it’s not her fault she’s able to get a job as a fully certified hair stylist with only a fraction… Read more »

LadyR
LadyR
Reply to  Kitt

Actually, the stylist (Joanna) did tell the Professor that the individual who styles natural hair would be in the next day. She didn‘t say that TGF was incapable of handling clients with natural hair.
Moving forward, the company should ensure that stylists who are able to do all textures of hair are available at all times.

eljjai
eljjai

I don’t know, we’d have to have more to go on than just words, what tone did she say it in? Was she dismissive? Or was she polite and apologetic. I wouldn’t want a clueless person of any colour messing with my hair.

Robinson Kyeshia
Robinson Kyeshia

All the woman wanted was a wash and flat iron. If one stylist new all should know. Also, the fact that people DON’T know how to do different texture hair just shows they need more training… and professional should know how to handle all types . That being said, it really was the delivery of the stylist that was off putting. She just didn’t articulate in a good way her lack of skill.

HeavnsGirl
HeavnsGirl

This doesn’t sound like racism. Incompetence? Yes, however it would be incompetence COMPOUNDED if the woman didn’t tell her she couldn’t do back hair.

I think the WAY she said it rubbed the black woman the wrong way, she responded in-kind, the white woman hung up on her, the black woman went to the salon, and the 2 squared off. “I don’t do y’all’s hair” and “I won’t even touch it.” is not professional.

Nyia
Nyia

I honestly don’t see a problem with her refusing to do the Dr. Hair. I went to an majority Caucasian cosmetology school. I had natural hair for YEARS! So when pairing us to work on eachother hair, I either was paired with a Black person, of course or a teacher.One day, I was on ddisplay as they were trying tofigure out how to blow dry my exextremely course, really tightly bonded hair(without my help). They used soooooooo much heat that the smoke detectors were set off! Hahaha Not only were they at a lost for doing my hair but a… Read more »

NyborNic
NyborNic

I dont believe it was a matter of race, I believe it was a matter of skill. I appreciate the stylists honesty. In my opinion it showed her professionalism, respect and appreciation for her craft but not attempting to do something in her field that she knew she wasn’t good at. Some stylists won’t tell you, “I’m not comfortable enuf yet comfortable with my skill set to do natural hair.” I would’ve done the same thing had I been in the stylists shoes. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for messing up or even damaging someone else’s hair.

Ellen
Ellen
Reply to  NyborNic

I worked in a “white” salon once, for kiddies. The ladies there DID NOT KNOW HOW TO CUT A BLACK CHILD’S HAIR. But the lure of money was to great. And they took the kids and just butchered the cuts on the black kids hair. It was awful, shameful. But that tip was all they wanted. Black hair is just different. How is this a revelation?

Orange
Orange

By the way, I want to appreciate BGLH for *finally* fixing the comment section of this website. It’s clear that such a move has increased participation in this forum back to what it was this past summer. The change is welcome, and Discus is a reliable comment section tool. After looking at all of the comments, and thinking this over a few times, I do see that there is a racial undertone to blacks being rejected at salons. Ultimately, many black women have just decided to (happily) keeping money in the black community by going to black-owned salons or black… Read more »

Suzy Q
Suzy Q

Do you know how many times I wish stylists, both black and white, would have told me they didn’t have the skill set to do my hair?!?! Man, listen, be upset that the company doesn’t provide ample training, but don’t be mad that someone didn’t agree to mess your hair up.

Ajah
Ajah
Reply to  Suzy Q

it’s not racist that they don’t teach that technique, but it is a horrible lack of judgement. The moment that the natural hair movement really started taking off the owner of the salon should have jumped on training.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q
Reply to  Ajah

I agree that it’s not racist that the stylist lacked the knowledge and skills to do AA natural hair. But how often do us naturals go to the salon anyway, let alone to one that caters their services outside of our ethnicity? Like it or not, hair salons are for-profit-businesses and will provide expertise within their largest profit margin. WITH THAT SAID, it’s definitely about time that all stylist at least have the basic knowledge to successfully wash and blow dry every hair type.

candice roma
candice roma

A wash and condition of natural hair is the most complicated part. Not knowing what she was doing she could have created a rat’s nest of tangles or used conditioner with silicone or combed from the roots down, ripping all her hair out in the process. It’s a special skill set that most salons should definitely start schooling their stylist in, and it’s racist that they don’t, but i dont see this stylist’s actions as racist.

girlbye
girlbye

This is madness. Leave poor Joanna alone! You dont go into a natural hair salon and demand that they treat caucasian hair?! Have yall lost your minds? You dont go to a mercedes dealer and tell them to fix your bmw?! Im mad at whoever even thought this was ok to post. This dr thompson oughta be ashamed of herself. Get outta here witht that garbage. Signed black 29 year old

Shonda023
Shonda023

I applaud “Joanna” for not wanting to do Dr. Thompson’s hair. Now if she damaged her hair, it would have been a lawsuit on the company’s hands. I have a Caucasian co-worker that is also licensed to do hair. She’s always trying to get me to “sit in her chair.” I am no one’s guinea pig, especially when it comes to my hair. When you have the training and knowledge of maintaining, treating, and styling natural hair, and have some clientele of natural women, then possibly, I’ll come to you for service. TGF needs to offer more training to their… Read more »

YS
YS

It’s really not that serious. I personally would be glad that Joanna was honest and find another stylist. We all know good and well that if she accepted to do the customer’s hair and messed it up — said customer would still cry foul. There are African American stylists who can’t do Caucasian hair. Not everything is racism :/

Wanda
Wanda

I would not want anyone to do my hair that cannot do my hair! So, she tells you that she cannot do “black” hair and your mad!I So she does your hair and it looks a hot mess then you find out that she cannot do “black” hair and now your upset! LOL! Black people are never satisfied! I know some black hairstylist that can’t do black hair but they still do it! LOL!

YS
YS

A story broke a while ago about a white stylist who posted a pic of her working on a black customer’s natural hair on a social media site, saying something about it looked like pubes. Now THAT is racist. This doesn’t seem to be to me. Just saying

cosmic umber
cosmic umber

I think Dr. Thompson benefited greatly by Joanna’s honesty. Better she goes elsewhere to received services from a well trained professional than get her hair messed up by Joanna! With that said, I’m not going to go as far as other people to “protect” Joanna, as her inability to do natural hair shows a centuries long practice that completely embodies how much the hair industry undermines any hair 4a and beyond (and maybe 3c, but that’s up for debate). To say “This isn’t about race!” is illogical. Of course it’s about race! When you have to literally hunt and do… Read more »

veronica
veronica
Reply to  cosmic umber

Not racist necessarily. When I used to go to the salon I would never let someone who did not have hair like mine do my hair. I just did not take that chance of the stylist not having enough experience with my hair type. It’s not racist. It’s practical. Knowing how to care for natural hair is a new thing even for black people. I’m the only one allowed to do my hair now.

Reply to  cosmic umber

I agree, how will there ever be a large body of hair stylists who can do natural hair, if every school doesn’t teach how to style it. My mom grew up in a county that had only 20,000 people, when I was a kid, and in the 25 years since has doubled to 40,000. The county has a large Latino population, and a small African American population, and it takes an hour just to drive over the mountains, to get to a more populated and diverse population center, where the odds of finding someone who can do natural hair is… Read more »

Ellen
Ellen

Not all white stylist can do black hair. How is that news? Layoff this poor lady. Did we forget how long the salons were segregated? Good Grief? I wouldn’t want a white stylist working on me if she didn’t know what she was doing. Our hair is really personal, a touchy subject with is. Give that lady a break, already.

Ajah
Ajah

I don’t thinki t’s racism, but I do think that she could have said it better. I have a white male alternative looking hair dresser and he does great with my hair. I applaud him cause I transitioned from relaxed to natural and he had to bare down and figure my hair out. I also have a friend that is Mexican and she wanted to put a relaxer in my hair before I transitioned and she had never done it before, but she thought that she could because she watched some black girls at her hair school do it. Uh,… Read more »

taliba2
taliba2

I’m with Ajah below. I don’t care if it seems racist, I don’t let anyone white do my hair. The reason for that was that when my daughter was in a well known Black Cosmetology school in Houston, she was informed that African Americans are taught to do all types of hair; but white schools don’t necessarily teach about Black hair and techniques. The boards they must pass are based on European hair. Not only that; when I once tried to let a white person do my hair at a salon; the hairdresser seemed scared and not confident. I stopped… Read more »

taliba2
taliba2

One more thing. That same daughter actually worked at TGF for about a year, until she opened up her own salon. She had more customers than the other stylists because she COULD do all types of hair. A lot of the cuts she did were Mexican men; white women came to her because she could weave their hair; and Black students were ecstatic to see a Black woman in this small white college town.

Tracu
Tracu

This isn’t racism, this is honesty. She doesn’t know how to do your hair so why push the issue? This lady was just out looking for a fight. Which is sad because I’ve had black stylists say they love natural hair and had no clue how to properly handle my hair. Shoot some of our own people can’t do our hair! This was a waste of time, leave Joanna alone. Yes, she could have worded it better but at least she was honest!

taliba2
taliba2
Reply to  Tracu

I think the problem is that Joanna was either trying to be rude or just doesn’t have good professional sense. I don’t know why the Dr. insisted on this woman doing her hair but telling someone “I just won’t touch yall’s kind of hair” is in no way nice or professional.

Tracu
Tracu
Reply to  taliba2

I didn’t see it as her intentionally trying to be rude. Poor Customer Service skills yes, intentionally rude no. The Professor seemed like the antagonist here in my humble opinion.

Gwendolyn Miner
Gwendolyn Miner

If she wasn’t comfortable doing AA hair, she was right to speak up. Better she say something than mess it up trying to ‘not look racist”.

PinkyPie15

That’s not racist, I can’t even do my own hair.

Cygnet
Cygnet

There’s a lot to consider here. I’ll try to sum it up briefly. 1. Joanna needs to acquire some communication skills so she can display more grace under fire—fire that, in this case, was unnecessary in my opinion. More on that in a moment. She also needs to acquire some skill handling tightly curled/coiled, highly textured hair. Given that I have yet to see a student’s mannequin with this type of hair, and I know that some BSS’s sell student mannequins, and given that she will find few live heads willing to serve the purpose, I wish her success on… Read more »

Antoinette
Antoinette

Not racist at all!! Seriously are we going to make everything about race. I would rather Joanna say she couldnt do it than try and mess it all up. There is a specialist in all field of professions. Dr are you going to allow your gyno to check you for flu like symptoms and write you a prescription? Extreme yes but your answer would be no. Please stop.

Arlene
Arlene

There’s nothing wrong with what the stylist said. Too bloody sensitive. I learned my lesson when I went to a stylist who couldn’t do my hair, never again. Heck, I can’t even work with my own nappiness.

Foxyrou
Foxyrou

How is this racist? If the woman stated she didn’t know how to style the woman’s hair, why pick a fight with her? I wouldn’t want her to touch my hair, after she told me she didn’t know how to handle my hair properly. Come on people! Stop getting upset over all the small things in life.

Morgan
Morgan
Reply to  Foxyrou

It’s the way she said as previously stated by the African-American lady.

Foxyrou
Foxyrou
Reply to  Morgan

Well, she could’ve told her off for her rudeness. But, don’t badger the woman to do your hair, if she don’t know how to handle it. Let it go! I wouldn’t lose no sleep over what that woman said.

proppa Chick
proppa Chick

Well at least she was honest. Its not her fault cause they don’t teach how to do natural hair in school. Natural hair community should know that! I’m just saying

A Vocal Guest
A Vocal Guest

I don’t know how to do my granddaughters hair which is 4C. I was amazed at the texture and couldn’t do her hair. Of course I didn’t say anything to my Grandchild but I talked to my daughter who also expressed she doesn’t know how to do her hair as well. I purchased the Pdf “Growing out Kinky 4B/4C hair for my daughter. I encourage her to wear her natural hair but my daughter is tempted to put a relaxer in her hair at 7 years old and I told her “NO”! When my granddaughter cries she wants “Curly/Kinky” hair like… Read more »

Shamenth Barril
Shamenth Barril

Never go into a salon for white fix my hair.

Most do not know how to treat our hair, I do not think it’s racist people are exaggerating

elizabeth31
elizabeth31

I must say I am SOOOO happy with the comment system thank you thank you thank you. Easy and simple now just how I like it <3

Morgan
Morgan

I don’t think the woman was being racist it’s just that she didn’t know how to say she doesn’t know or couldn’t do our hair in an appropriate or rather professional way. It’s really the way in which you say things to persons that makes it offensive.

Rachel
Rachel

Dr. Thomas was in the wrong on this one! The young lady may not have spoken in a professional manor but she also didn’t say it in a racist manor either. Dr. Thomas harassed that young woman in my opinion. The woman told her that she had fear of messing up her hair and we know how we are about our hair! That alone should have made Dr. Thomas just simply what until someone who was more familiar with our natural hair to come in and do her hair. It’s not always about race and if that woman had done… Read more »

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  Rachel

I went to a white woman this past summer and she messed up my hair. I wish she had told me she didn’t know how to do my hair. I wouldn’t have been offended in fact I would’ve been grateful.

Reply to  Rachel

If the Stylist simply discards folks with natural hair, and refuses to get the training she needs, then she is being racist because, she feels the people with natural hair, most of whom are non-White, are less important than the other people she serves, You can bet that, if a hot new hair style came along, that she didn’t know, she would rush to learn how to do it, so she could make more money. Learning how to do ethnic hair is no different.

s lynn
s lynn

I can’t even do white people’s hair! I wouldn’t know what to do with it! I also didn’t know how to do my own natural hair & i had to learn to & I’m still learning how to take care of it through trial & error. Sometimes I think the word “racist” is one of the most over used & misunderstood words in the English language. Just because the person who you’re talking to is rude, standoffish or brusque with you, doesn’t make them racist! We need to stop using the word so much or it’ll lose its power. Joanna,… Read more »

good2bfree
good2bfree

I don’t even go to traditional Black salons in my town for the same reason: They don’t know how to take care of nor style my hair. Until I can find a stylist/natural hair care professional, I will continue to take care of it myself. If someone is TELLING you they don’t know how to work with your hair texture, why push the point? Keep searching until you find someone who does.

Jasmine
Jasmine

her reaction was a little over the top. she could’ve said “I can’t do your hair, I don’t wanna mess it up” the yelling was uncalled for and you can clearly see the idea of styling natural hair scares her. I don’t think that it racist but yelling won’t help her over come her fears lol

ambarrie
ambarrie

Okay, why didn’t the woman filming just walk away and take her business somewhere else

Reply to  ambarrie

Because this happens all the time, and a women can be turned away many times over the course of a year, She probably finally had enough and posted her frustrations. It also might have been how the stylist said, I won’t work on your hair. If she came across as arrogant, huffy, etc, even if it had nothing to do with the client, its her fault for not sidelining her emotions before dealing with this customer. There are ways to say no without being a jerk, she might have been able to give the client a discount on her new… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie

This saddens me on both ends of the spectrum. I have natural hair like the professor and I am a stylist. We are taught in cosmetology school how to do all kinds of hair. Hair is hair when you get threw with it. When you work for a franchise you have to be able to do whatever comes threw the door. Most and I say most franchises have continuing EDUCATION and threw those avenues stylist learn about current trends with hair. Every six months the hair trends change you have to be able to go with the flow. As a… Read more »

canndigurl24
canndigurl24
Reply to  Stephanie

Through*

laurennicole821
laurennicole821

I dont think the stylist is racist or discriminating at all she is being honest. Sure she could have worded things differently but the professor was harassing her damn near. Im black i went to cosmetology scool you learn nothing about natural black hair and now she works in a mostly white salon so she probably has had no experience, sure it sucks but thats the way its been forever black men know they cant just walk into any barbershop and get cut they go to a black one not bc they’re not welcome but they want a barber experienced… Read more »

Ernest Dickinson

A barber who is smart will get the training needed to work on the hair on the faces and heads of all types of guys, with all the skin conditions associated with various hair types, so as to appeal to the largest client base.

Confused
Confused

Ive had african american stylists say they can not style my hair, so I would think one would appreciate the stylist honesty rather than have their hair sabotaged… I think this is being overly sensitive

Reply to  Confused

Then the AMS how say they can’t style your hair are being foolish, they are turning away clients, some of whom will spread the word the stylist couldn’t do their hair, which will spread doubts about the quality of their work. If you have a job and your boss tells you, either you brush up you skills in a specific area, or you will loose your good paying job with good benefits, what would a smart person do. Get the training to improve in the week area, as it would most likely be quicker and cheaper, than trying to find… Read more »

taliba2
taliba2

Okay, I keep hearing that Joanna was just being “honest” and not racist. I do agree that the Dr. should have just gone elsewhere; but Joanna wasn’t just being honest, sweet, nice, or professional: she was being a bitch. Just sayin. When you tell someone “I won’t even touch yawll’s kind of hair” you have to know that’s not going to go over well. Maybe they both were having a bad day.

Jasmine
Jasmine

I’m sorry but this isn’t racist. Would you want someone in your head who wasn’t confident in their ability to do it? Please, I’ve had so many black stylists turn me away or try to push a relaxer on me because my hair was too ‘difficult’ to style. Don’t even get me started on the braiders who would insist I press my hair first to get it braided. Tuh.

SuperCurlyGurl
SuperCurlyGurl

I would be happy that she said she doesn’t do my hair instead of doing it and messing it up. Yes it was only a wash/condition and a blow dry but I don’t want anyone working on my hair that lacks confidence in their performance. As far as her being “racist” or what have you…if that was the case then that’s something she/Joanna has to live with.

CommonSense
CommonSense

First of all, why would you go to a white salon to get your natural hair done?!?!?!?! And, why would you trust a white person to do your natural hair, when they don’t teach them in beauty school how to do natural textured hair?!?!?!?! The dummies they use in beauty school all have poker straight hair. What idiot would think that a white person would know enough about natural hair to do it justice. This person was just silly to even bother asking her to do it.

Ernest Dickinson

As someone in the IT field, I have to renew some of my certifications every 3 years, which means studying on my own, or taking classes. At my current job, we have around 100 computerized learning packets, that we must take. If I want to continue to advance in the Information Technology field, I will need to obtain more certifications, which take time and are not cheap. Any field from Automotive to taking care of cats and dogs, to the medical and dental fields, and most fields under the sun, involves some degree of training, many of which need to… Read more »

Kimmmy
Kimmmy

I wish some of the blacks stylists Ive dealt with would admit they dont know how to handle big kinky natural hair. Ive run across a few that have this know-it-all attitude, goin on and on about what I should and shouldnt do. Next thing I know, they’re comin at my dry twist out with a brush! I’m not gonna pay good money to sit up and argue with them. I just invest my money in tools and products and do it myself. But I’m still on the lookout for a stylist who can do a bomb cut on natural… Read more »

MjaySA
MjaySA

She was simply being honest and saying she doesnt want to mess up her hair, if you are not use to working on a certain texture of hair, the 1st time can be tricky. My white friends have asked me to do their hair and I have refused in the past because I had zero experience and zero confidence with their hair. That doesnt make some racist.

Tatiana
Tatiana

Think the doctor was fishing tbh and she just wanted to appear on the news. She has a regular stylist who did not inform her she was quitting? okay…Fair enough Joanna could’ve worded it differently but if she has said “I am not trained enough to do African American hair” Dr would still deem it as racist. She told her straight up. It is what it is. Yes she should’ve been trained to do it and there should be more education surrounding Kinky/Curly hair because tbh it is not as straight forward as Straighter hair textures. It requires a lot… Read more »

Sophie
Sophie

In my opinion if the stylist said without being rude that she didn’t feel she would do her hair properly, that is not wrong. I guess saying “I don’t do” this hair type came off as rude because really she is saying that she’s not trained/experienced. I’m surprised that on BGLH you would imply a “wash, condition, and blow dry” is simple enough that a person inexperienced with tightly curly hair should be able to do it, though. No person who doesn’t know about my hair is coming near it with heat and combs!! When I was in high school… Read more »

TightlaccedFem
TightlaccedFem

Negroes will make excuses for any and everybody EXCEPT our own. Yall taking this womans word for gospel and yet if im not mistaken you cant even graduate from hair school unless you can do a basic wash and blow for ANY hair type. Nah that heiffer can do black hair she just DOESNT and yes there is a difference.

StraightShooter
StraightShooter
Reply to  TightlaccedFem

I understand what you’re saying, but they really don’t teach people how to do natural hair. On top of that I don’t want someone touching my hair if they don’t want to.

Hrenee
Hrenee
Reply to  TightlaccedFem

So she should have done it, f**ked it up because she was too scared to say “I can’t”, and lost her job because she didn’t want to be perceived as prejudice? Gtfoh. Sorry to burst that action jackson bubble, but not everything white people do is racist. Oh, and way to keep it super classy by calling adults with opposing opinions “negroes”. That was super mature.

Lilo
Lilo

Oh please this was not racism, if someone doesn’t feel they could do my hair I will gladly walk away. Went to a salon with people “experienced” with natural hair and ended up with the worst heat damage of my life, my hair being pulled out. & all they did was a simply wash condition and blow. They didn’t know how to detangle natural hair properly, nor how to use heat safely so instead of getting upset she should’ve taken it as a blessing. Because of her had had been damaged she would’ve blamed the stylist

Blue Bunny
Blue Bunny

I agree with a a lot of the comments. I feel like this was a simple case of making something out of nothing. Her honesty is appreciated. Better to have someone tell you up front than to attempt it and screw up. Just go somewhere else. Simple.

April
April

This is not an act of racism. If the stylist knows her strength does NOT lie in doing “our” hair, she was within her every right to say she douldnt take her as a client.
On the flip side, as a black woman, I wouldn’t demand a white stylist do my hair anyway. She could’ve come out of that salon looking like Buckwheat and would’ve had the right to be pissed IF the stylist said, “sure, I can do your hair. No Problem!”
Racism, this is NOT.

ShesTruthful
ShesTruthful

I don’t think it was racist, I think had the stylist mentioned that she tends to mess up African American hair and has a African American friend whose hair she doesn’t even touch because she messes it up before just simply saying no I don’t do y’alls type, things would have been different. The professor seemed uneasy to please anyway, the uproar would have started regardless because she didn’t like the way Joanna said that her hairstylist was no longer employed there.I personally don’t like just anyone in my hair, professional or personal, with that being said, once she was… Read more »

Danielle
Danielle

No, it wasn’t racist. Or maybe it could have been. My point is, I would like to keep the Black hair business in the Black community. Since I have a thing against being hypocritical, and I would never personally go to a White stylist (I wouldn’t trust someone who didn’t have anything near my hair type to do my hair), I’ve got to stick to my guns. Don’t give them your hard-earned money if you want to rebuild our shattered communities. The company, however, can be said to have double standards. I could almost guarantee that a Black woman who could… Read more »

KeeKeeAlNatural
KeeKeeAlNatural

The stylist wasn’t racist. She told Dr. Thompson that she doesn’t know how to style African American hair. I can not judge the stylist tone of voice in this video because it is clear that she and Dr. Thompson at this point were frustrated with one another. If the stylist said she do not do African American hair, why would Dr. Thompson continue to press the issue? I guess it was the journalist in her trying to create a story. As a hairstylist myself, there are hairstyles that are my specialy and other hairstyles that are not in which I… Read more »

rachel
rachel

I dont think this was racist. I do think its strange how some stylist dont know how to do african american hair. Im african and go to a asian hair salon and they have no problem.

Wuluwulu
Wuluwulu
Reply to  rachel

My friend got her hair done at Asian salons all the time when she was in Korea. I live very close to the Korean district and my sister got an awesome cut and her well done at the Korean salon. I am not saying all Koreans know how to do black hair, but it is odd that they do know to begin with.

CherishBomb
CherishBomb

I think we should stop crying racism over every little “negative” encounter with other ethnicities. At that point, it’s alarmism. The woman said she didn’t know how to handle her hair. Many of us don’t know how to handle our own hair (hence the faithful salon patrons, wigs, weaves, thinning, breakage, etc) so I don’t understand why it’s a big issue for her not to feel comfortable handling a texture she isn’t familiar with. If she did it anyway and her hair came out wrong, then she’d be upset about that. I went to a salon chain some years ago and… Read more »

katataksrainbow
katataksrainbow

How is this racist? Honestly the Dr should appreciate this woman’s honesty in that she did not feel confident doing her hair. Yes it may have been a simple style request, but lets be honest.. natural hair is not really all that simple. What is simple about natural hair is messing it up.. that can be done real quick! I think the apology from the company was perfect. They’re sorry, they will train their staff better.. what more can someone really ask for?

Gladiator
Gladiator

Since when do we want anyone white doing our hair?

katataksrainbow
katataksrainbow
Reply to  Gladiator

Really though! For the most part white folks touching black hair is a bad idea in my experience. With the exception of the last time I cut off all my hair its usually a stressful experience for both parties.

tzrdkdtd
tzrdkdtd

For real: “its usually a stressful experience for both parties” and “lets be honest…natural hair is not really all that simple”

Marlena Tyrell
Marlena Tyrell

I can’t agree with you more.

Joh
Joh

The fact that she said that she can’t do kinky hair is ok… there’s nothing racist there. But it’s the way she said it «I’m afraid of african american hair». To me this is not professional at all and it’s very close to racism! And I don’t live in the US so I’m not sure if TGF hair salon is a big line or not but I think that if it is, it should be able to do EVERY type of hair!! This is called professionalism, that’s it… So I think the real debate here is not really about racism,… Read more »

Marlena Tyrell
Marlena Tyrell

Seriously? Seems like the client was almost bullying the hair dresser. If you’re not comfortable with my hair, please let me know so you don’t mess it up.

Tzrdkdtd
Tzrdkdtd
Reply to  Marlena Tyrell

I noticed that, too. Thompson was pushing her harder and harder. I felt there was aggression from Thompson towards the hairdresser. Underneath Thompson’s aggression was hurt and disappointment. The hurt was caused by the way she was repeatedly rejected by the stylist. I understand that Thompson was hurt and disappointed, but their is a difference between being aggressive and being assertive.

venezolanatrini .
venezolanatrini .

I think it was the way she said it, because she obviously came for a black stylist, but she wasn’t there, but the way the lady said it , it was like she was disgusted, to even try to attempt to do it. I live in Miami, cuban area and u can see the fear when I walk in with my afro, but they tell me the dominican hair stylist will be in shortly politely, give me coffee while I wait etc, I think its all about the way you say things.

Mindopen
Mindopen

Say for example we take race out of the picture. Clearly the stylist lacks the skills required for styling hair textures that is not caucasian (she admitted that), but most importantly she lacks the common courtesy and civility required of someone who chooses to work in a service industry. Quite frankly TGF should run social etiquette classes for their employees, if I had shares in TGF I wouldn’t want someone like that working in my company. She acted like she was repulsed at the idea of even touching the hair. Her body language:palms facing client with hand close to her chest… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie

I don’t think the stylist was wrong at all. It seems like Dr. Thompson was pushing her hoping to get a reaction from her. If someone says I don’t do kinky hair, you walk away and call it a day. What did Dr. Thompson want her to do, what,do her hair mess it up and then what she gets to sue or something. I’ve experienced real racism in regards to getting my hair done by a hispanic women at one of those beauty schools in South Miami. They made me feel small and inferior, I would have rather them said,… Read more »

Anaya
Anaya
Reply to  Stephanie

You must not have been listening to the video. It wasn’t the fact that she was inexperienced was the problem, it was the way she said it. “I don’t do YOUR hair”. Not “I’m sorry ma’am i am uncomfortable with doing your type of hair and I don’t think it would be safe for you or I to work with your hair.” See the difference?

Wise Mocha
Wise Mocha

Stylists of all races are supposed to be trained to do hair of any texture, and with that said, that salon should consider a personnel change. However, if a stylist told me that she/he didn’t feel comfortable doing my hair, I would see it as she/he doing me a favor, because I sure wouldn’t want to find out after they’ve been all up in my head. Also, TBH, it would take A LOT for me to even consider having a white stylist do my hair anyway. Yeah, I know they have or should have been trained to do it, but… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie

Hmm…I mean, I know it’s not exactly the same, but I am a white Jamaican and have had several black hairdressers on island decline to do my hair, just because they aren’t familiar with my hair texture and were not confident that they could do it properly. For me, I would much rather have a stylist tell me that than use me as a guinea pig and mash up my head. Once again, I know context is crucial and it is different, but…

Claudette UK
Claudette UK

How could she mess up a wash, condition and blowdry?

Mst
Mst
Reply to  Claudette UK

You definitely can every stylist isn’t great with every texture

xSilverTurquoisex
xSilverTurquoisex
Reply to  Mst

We might have different textures, but doing that is not hard. It was not like she asked her to style her hair LOL.

Benny Hanna
Benny Hanna

Do you want someone to do your hair that isn’t confidant they can do it right? Come’on people

Michelle Freeman
Michelle Freeman

Well, at least she opened her mouth and said something, I wish some hairdressers in Barbados would do that too instead of letting me find out through trial and error or rather pain (for me) and error (for them) … with them ending off saying, ‘I didn’t realise your hair was *so* thick’ … like really??? On the other hand, the lady’s employer might take a dim view to her honesty (sorry Joanna, didn’t anyone ever tell you that it really isn’t the best policy) and decide to target her in a sly way. Joanna, next time just say ‘I… Read more »

Denice B
Denice B

If all the lady wanted was a wash, dry condition and style, why couldn’t she do it? Not like she had to cut or wrap the lady’s hair.

Shannon
Shannon

I had a black woman refuse to do my hair because she didn’t know how to handle my hair texture and was afraid of messing it up. But it does seem a little weird that she would be afraid to just wash it, condition it, and blow dry it.

Staci Elle
Staci Elle

Why would she even want this heaux to do her hair? That is a privilege!

xSilverTurquoisex
xSilverTurquoisex

I understand that many can’t do hair, but like she said she has a license meaning that you should be doing ALL hair. What is the point in being a stylist if you can’t even do all types or refuse. Doing black isn’t scary thing to do, you just need to LEARN how. It’s not as scary as you think and she shouldn’t have had an attitude with her. The client shouldn’t have waited for someone who could have done it instead kept questioning her…I feel like both sides are wrong.

Ashley
Ashley

I am a white stylist and know how to do all kinds of hair texture but I have mostly worked with white clients. African American clients that I have done always interegate and ask many questions (they seem angry)… This is harassment because I shouldn’t feel like I do not know what am doing. I feel it’s because many are so mean and approache us in a rude manner. WE DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE. I will not be treated like that so I REFUSE. it’s not our fault that beauty school doesn’t teach textured hair.

nappturalls
nappturalls

If she would have done it and messed it up then the client really woukd have been mad. I don’t let anyone touch my hair except my sister. I have had too many fails by “trained professionals”.

coco
coco

Hmmm, I think it was racist she didn’t even want to try, or want to take the opportunity to educate her skills by doing a simple wash condition and blow dry. Sure it’s something she could do at home herself and perhaps should have but since she was willing to pay this woman to try the woman should have tried. Where does anyone get off saying I don’t do your hair though? Not just racist damn rude lol.

IonaDel
IonaDel

I feel like BGLH is just race baiting now…