2014 Natural Hair Product Winners and Losers

Avatar • Dec 22, 2014

natural hair winners vs.losers

Love it or hate it, many naturals are product junkies and are generally always looking for new products to usually make detangling easier or to soften, moisturise and style hair better. This is my recap of the products that have been asked about and talked about the most in 2014.

Winners

1. Bentonite Clay — Bentonite clay is winning big! It has cleansing ability and is also a curl clumper. Its reputation has transformed from possible natural alternative but with worries of mess and drain clogging to a must-have product for wash and go aficionados.

2. Qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream — Full confession, I have never used this product myself but I have to say that it gets constant raving year in and year out on hair blogs and forums. For those who like heavy creams, this looks like a must try.

3. Aloe Vera Gel — Gels in general appear to be back in thanks to the max hydration obsession and topping the list of affordable and of natural origin is aloe vera gel.

4. Shampoo — For some years now, pretty much every guide to going natural had to include a section on how to eliminate shampoo and co-wash. In 2014, I have seen a dramatic change with more advice on how to select gentler shampoos and even use of occasional clarifying shampoo, so shampoo is back in!

5. Tea rinses — Tea rinsing has been around for a while now but in 2014 it really seemed to take off, possibly because it is a fairly simple additional step of pouring cooled brewed water at the end of the wash. The possible benefits of strength, hair growth stimulation and cuticle smoothing may be possible reasons why tea rinses are winning.

Losers

1. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner was and to be fair still is one of the most loved products in the natural world. However, things have began to tumble as the company was forced to drop the organic label and the revelation of the full ingredients list showed alcohol as one of the top 5 ingredients. There is hope though because quite a few naturals do feel a tangible difference when using the product compared to other conditioners and therefore vouch for it.

2. Aloe Vera Gel — You may have spotted aloe vera gel in the winners column but yet here it is in the losers section too! It is a product that really does split opinions right down the middle. This is no surprise as most humectants such as honey or glycerin do the same too. For some it may be flaky or may make hair too mushy. Sometimes it is a trick of tweaking the amount or order of product layering but other times, it just does not work.

3. Beautiful Textures Texture Manageability System — There was a serious raucous raised by this product in 2014. Social media icons such as Chary Jay and Chime Edwards as well as natural stylist Felicia Leatherwood were key to the brand establishing knowledge of the product within the natural world. The fascination for the product did begin to wane as naturals questioned whether it was really natural. A scientific analysis of the product ingredients showed that it is a BKT that is formaldehyde free but that would change hair. For some naturals the BKT aspect meant BTTMS needed a wide berth.

Who would you add to the winners and losers list this year?

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

cryssi
cryssi

Ecostyler gel was a loser for me. When I first started using it I loved how my twistouts and halo braids looked with it. Then I bought a new jar and used it on my niece hair for 2 strand twists and though at first it looked great, by the next day her hair felt sticky and was filled with lint and dust.

Ladylanita
Ladylanita
Reply to  cryssi

Yeah, I feel you! I’m trying to ease of eco-styler and opt for softer holds so I can twist my ear-length hair at night to keep SSK’s from forming. I purchased a few custard’s from Ecoco’s website that I used for refreshing my wng’s. Hopefully they work for my new hairstyle.

cryssi
cryssi
Reply to  Ladylanita

Hmm, I’m going to have to try that. SSK’s are the devil to my hair.

Dee
Dee
Reply to  cryssi

I tried it prior to this year and never again. It doesn’t matter if I mixed it with shea butter or oil.

This year, I have discovered that I do not need gels for my twist outs.

fancycoils
fancycoils

I’m from the school of thought that any product can work on any hair. Or, at least, be tweaked to work on any hair. I say that because I despised Kinky-Curly Knot Today in the beginning of my journey with natural products. I felt that it was lackluster at best…especially when I can get a litre of Giovanni Direct for the same price. Now, KCKT is my boo. I’ve figured out how to purchase it at $10 a bottle, with no shipping or tax and I keep at least 5 bottles stockpiled at any given time. KCKT is always the… Read more »

Sam
Sam
Reply to  fancycoils

Hey fancycoils,
If you’re referring to Giovanni Direct Leave-In, how was the consistency? I really want to try it (KCKT is too light for me) and its really cheap, but am not sure if I want to buy I need more information from people who have tried it.

fancycoils
fancycoils
Reply to  Sam

Giovanni’s texture is frothy. I can’t say it’s heavier than kckt, probably about the same. But it’s definitely cheaper if you buy it at LuckyVitamin or massage warehouse. If you find it to be too light, just use more.

Sam
Sam
Reply to  fancycoils

Thank you fancycoils!!!!!!!!

Puff Puff Poof

Clay is definitely a winner! Kaolin and Rhassoul are both great. Kaolin is gentler and Rhassoul strengthens my coarse hair. My fav thing to do is mix them with honey. In case anyone is curious here is my recipe: http://puffpuffpoof.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/how-to-make-a-gentle-clay-mask/

Chanda
Chanda

Winners for me this year is Shea Moisture’s Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo and the matching Hair Masque, and Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste (for my edges and buns). I believe I struck GOLD with those 3 and they all smell delicious.

Ladylanita
Ladylanita
Reply to  Chanda

Guurl, me and you both. Must be my hair twin! 😉

elizabeth31
elizabeth31
Reply to  Chanda

I haven’t gotten my hands on that stuff yet, all that was left at my Target was their Manuka body washes and stuff and I usually am particular about those types of products, but I already love the smell of those, the scrub has got my skin so soft! Shea Moisture is on POINT this year!

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  Chanda

Child, that SM Manuka stuff is THE TRUTH ! Been using it now fopr about 3 weeks & my hair is HAPPY ! I have the shampoo, condish, & that marvelous masque.Glad I got them when I did; they’re FLYING out of Target !!

SheridaDaily

Does anybody remember Cantu-Shea Butter? I loved it for ages, but for some reason it stopped loving me back after a while 🙁 Not entirely sure why it stopped working for me, but now I use the Texture My Way line in the green packaging. Works wonders.. for now lol

Dee
Dee
Reply to  SheridaDaily

Cantu Shea Butter leave in has changed their formula. Shea butter used to be in the top of the ingredient list but now it is pretty much in the very bottom.

Cantu Shea Butter is definitely one of my losses.

I love doing green tea rinses.

It may cost a bit more, but Shea Moiisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a great alternative. A little goes a long way too.

I’ve been using shampoo ever since I’ve been natural.

monniej
monniej

winner — TRU2U SKINCARE MARSHMALLOW PRIMER & PEPPERMINT CUSTARD — i get strong, tight, shiny curls that pop like springs with this duo! i never want to be without them! my hair loves these products! winner — carol’s daughter monoi intensive repair mask! i’ve seen my shedding reduced significantly with regular use. i love this product and order it monthly to make sure i never run out! loser — carol’s daughter spray leave in conditioners — i got the monoi and black vanilla and they both left my hair gooey, tacky and overly moist to the point of wanting to… Read more »

Cygnet
Cygnet

this year’s winner for me is Giovanni 2Chic ultra moist conditioner. since I started using it, it has become my go-to conditioner, both for co-washing and as a leave-in. It detangles my hair like nobody’s business, and it gives me lots of moisture. this year’s loser is the Whole Foods where I typically buy it. They are on the loser list because they stopped selling it in the big bottle. Since I can’t find it anywhere else, the only other way I can get it is to go to amazon.com for it. However, Amazon has made it worth my while,… Read more »