5 Natural Hair Companies With the Best and Worst Customer Service + Add To Our List!

Avatar • Nov 22, 2014

Although the industry has made great strides in the past few years, natural hair products that you can find on the ground are still few and between. Many of us opt to order our favorite products online and take no issue with sometimes waiting weeks to receive them. Some of these indie vendors have wonderful customer service — going above and beyond for their consumers to solidify their place in the natural hair community for at least the next few years. Others…not so much. I asked my curlfriends on my QFTPC Facebook page about their best and worst vendors for customer service. Here are some of the best and worst, in no particular order:

The Good:

bobeam

1. Bobeam Natural Products:

I’ve personally never ordered from this brand, but Laquita’s shampoo bars have a cult following across the natural hair community. The intricate ingredients keep customers coming back for more and the customer service makes them want to stay. Although Bobeam is a smaller brand, shipping times are stellar and the bars even come packaged in a nice little plastic case to keep them from getting wet in the shower. A personalized, handwritten note with each order adds a touch of charm.

natural_hair_oyin

2. Oyin Handmade

We’ve seen Oyin grow from a small space in Baltimore to the shelves of Target and Whole Foods. The products are natural and versatile, the shipping times are accurately reflected on the site and they are generous with coupon codes. I personally cannot recall having an issue with any of my orders over the years and I’ve placed several. They’ve even improved on shipping prices and processing times!

curl_junkie_natural_hair

3. Curl Junkie

Curl Junkie may not be free from mishaps, but it’s their transparency and quick to resolve attitude make them one of the best when it comes to customer service. When issues with a new product arose, customers were alerted in a timely fashion and replacements were issued as necessary. If you have a question about any of the products, shoot an email over to customer service — the owner, Marsha Coulton, often answers emails with product suggestions based on your hair texture and needs.

The Bad:

soultanicals_natural_hair

Soultanicals

I’ve personally never had an issue with Soultanicals, but I haven’t used their products in years and perhaps with good reason. Several curlfriends reported a vicious cycle of delayed shipping times, out of stock items and store closings to catch up on orders. They somewhat allude to this on the shipping policy site though, stating that they have an average two week lead time and during sales you may experience delays. I might be able to handle the long shipping times, but the inquiries on their Facebook about not receiving orders gives me pause (and you all know I’m quick to file a claim).

The Ugly:

HH_natural_hair

Hairitage Hydration

From products supposedly having mold to issues with customer service resolutions to claims of non-receipt of items, it’s unclear what this company is doing right. Again, I haven’t purchased from this company myself, but there are several horror stories about other’s encounters documented on the web. I’m going to leave this one alone too, ’cause…drama.

**Afroveda and Ashthepainter were initially on this list for worst customer service, but their online presences seem to be on hiatus.**

But hey, you may want to take this list with a grain of salt — customer service stories have a lot of variation and who knows? Another person’s vendor nightmare may be your dream customer service experience. It ultimately depends on how badly you want the product.

What are some of your best and worst customer service experiences?

Indigo
Indigo

Oyin should be on the bad list…I’ve dealt with them on the phone…awful service…never again

Zoopath
Zoopath

Soultanicals can be slow if you order during sales but otherwise it’s excellent.

Coils and Freckles
Coils and Freckles

Handmade products sometimes lack consistency from one batch to the next. The first time I purchased Oyin’s Honey Hemp I loved it so much that I purchased three more bottles. Well, I like to leave conditioner in my hair overnight. The first two bottles were ok for that, but if I left product from the last two bottles in my hair more than 10 minutes, it would be begin to tingle/burn. That was a problem because even if I’m just finger detangling, that takes more than 10 minutes. I had to finish them because they don’t accept returns and I don’t… Read more »

Darlyn
Darlyn

I love ordering online from Oyin Handmade! I love how they give you candies and bubbles with your order! 😀

J. Nicole

I actually had a pretty good experience with Karen’s Body Beautiful even though originally it wasn’t. Someone sent me a gift and one of the items unfortunately came damage. They were a little slow on their answering time, so I Tweeted her which got the ball rolling. They finally resent me the damaged product and a coupon code for my next order.

Mai
Mai

Didn’t Ash the Painter scam people out of their money? Kind of like MopTopMaven.

Elle
Elle

The Good (for me): BOBEAM OYIN ORIGINAL MOXIE CS, product consistency+packaging+information, delivery. I’ve written positive reviews on all three. The Bad DARCY’S BOTANICALS — ONLY negative is they weren’t aggressive in stating that product creation may take a minute prolonging delivery. The Ugly KAREN’S BODY BEAUTIFUL — I wrote reviews on several sites detailing a gift cert experience that went on for 1 month where different SAs lied to me several times via email and phone and delayed my delivery big time until I got ‘live’ with them. My first and last time trying their stuff. It was fruity lotion IMO and… Read more »

Indigo
Indigo
Reply to  Elle

wow, everyone is different I LOVE Karens’Body Beautiful…no problems with product or service…

DiJah
DiJah

SheaMoisture,Miss Jessie’s and BeeMine gets an honorable mention from me. Bee Mine for their fast shipping ‑got my product in less than a week, so gold star for them, even though shipping cost is crazy, I rock with them. I only buy a few things from miss Jessie’s, and only when they have sales and they too ship ASAP and that’s always good in my book. SHeaMoisture responds within a reasonable time. I like them. Curls unleashed — I contacted them about one of their products smelling bad and they sent me a new one. That’s when I realize it wasn’t a bad… Read more »

Prettydarkskinnedgirl
Prettydarkskinnedgirl

Great:
Purgasm–their customer service is exceptional & shipping times are fast

Good:
TGIN–good shipping times & consistent products & they offer a sample pack
Silk Dreams–fast shipping, consistent products & good service
Bonbon Cheveaux–ditto

Meh:
Cream & Coco–love their products but shipping time is very slow at times & almost everything is consistently out of stock when ordering from their website.

Nicole
Nicole

Fortunately, I have not had any bad experiences yet with any hair company… The only small issue was a product was missing, and the company replaced it quickly…I particularly haven’t had an issue with soultanicals, and I hear their shipping is improving. Hey, some companies have a rough start, especially small ones.

KirlyGurl
KirlyGurl

Big Chop Hair has horrible customer service! It took me 4 attempts to hear back from them and when they finally did respond, they were really rude about it. Never ordering hair from them again!!!

merry
merry

i used to dislike qhemet biologics’s service. they’ve improved. the owner really rectified a situation with her product. i believe companies should delight and even surprise their customers. and she did that for me.

Rou
Rou

Naturallycurly.com should be under the bad list, since it took them over a month to ship a few items that ordered from them. It was ridiculous! I’ve never ordered from them, again. It nobody have time to be waiting a whole month for some hair products to arrive.

Rou
Rou
Reply to  Rou

I forgot to mention that Oyin Handmade shipped all the items I purchased from them in a timely manner. I never had an issue ordering from them. But, it’s been a while, since I’ve ordered any hair products online.

Rem
Rem

Recently Soultanicals has improved their shipping situation. But before that, I have ordered from them twice. While it seems to take foreverish, it’s definitely worth it because of the quality of their products. I think the shipping is mostly bad because they want to send stuff as freshly made as possible I guess .

Andrea
Andrea

Bobeum — excellent. Laquita is great

Carol’s Daughter — Never again. They lie. I waited weeks for my products. I call an they say it has already been shipped. I wait another entire week and the invoice said it was shipped the day I called to complain.

f2usacib
f2usacib

Smooth Naturals, Bobeam, Bel Nouvo & Qhemet have excellent shipping times. Oyin, Annabelles Perfect Blends & Aveyou.com were good.
Koils by Nature, Soultanicals, Naturalee Haircare & Curlmart shipping times were slow. KBN did give me a refund after I complained about shipping & I continue to order her products.

krokan

Just tried to get Miss Jessie’s to send me the second Baby butter crème that SHOULD have come with my order for the BOGO cyber Monday deal. I was polite and explained how the order didn’t show that I should have gotten a second jar but I understand they are probably busy and dealing with a lot of orders, and could they please send me the second jar. I received an email that didn’t even make mention of the jar and whether they could or couldn’t send it to me. Instead I got a message saying that if I’m not… Read more »

Darlyn
Darlyn

I like Soultanicals…heck I LOVE a few of the products. I ordered during the Black Friday sale, so I know I’m going to be waiting. I got my shipping notice on the 11th of December.….and according to USPS tracking, only the label has been created. Today is the 16th. I HATE when companies send me a shipping notice, and don’t ship within 24 hours. I’m about to cut most of these companies loose. Bobeam, Jakaela, Curl Junkie…excellent products and customer service.

naja shabazz
naja shabazz

I love Adiva Naturals total line of hair and body products. That LUSTURIZER for my curls CHILE.….…… they make you feel like family. There customer service is beyond it. Especially they often tell you after a purchase “welcome to the Adiva Family”
Naja.