4 Ways to Get Past Protective Styling Frustration and Boredom

Avatar • Oct 6, 2014

chi's twists

As a long-time protective styler, I can relate to those who get bored or even frustrated with keeping their hair bounded and off of their shoulders or backs. That is when these suggestions come into play:

1. For you twisters (or braiders), leave some hair untwisted (or unbraided)

This is something that helped me survive my first few years of back-to-back protective styling. I would twist my entire head, undo a few twists some days later and pin the resulting twist-out sections to form a new protective style. Alternatively, I would go the semi-protective route (that is, leaving some of my hair out and free) via a loose bang. This method of wearing a “partial twist out (or braid out)” is a great way to break the monotony of protective styling. Essentially, while the rest of your hair stays twisted (or braided), the front of your hair that is out is available for you to play up your style.

partially twisted

2. Switch between stretched styles and twisted/braided styles

Sometimes, I play a trick on my brain by switching from a stretched bun, for example, to twists in a bun. While both looks are technically protective – and buns – the switch seems to dim the boredom that can come with regular protective styling. I do the same with updos as well; for example, I’ll go from twists in an updo to a twist out in an updo.

different buns

3. Add some hair extensions

When I first big chopped, I thought short and stubby twists were not a good look on me, so I experimented with hair extensions a few times. For example, I would get braid extensions with loose ends or attach some loose Marley braid hair for more length or fullness. Wigs and crochet braids are a few other great alternatives, especially since you can keep your hair protected (that is, in cornrows) underneath. Whichever method you choose, the fact that your adding length or fullness while protecting your real hair can help you beat protective styling frustration, especially for those naturals in the short or awkward phase.

extensions

4. Let your hair out on the weekends

Whether this means undo-ing your braids to wear a braid out or letting your hair down (or out) after a week in buns is up to you. As a long-term protective styler, I did not do this every weekend, but the times that I did, it too helped to break the monotony of my routine. Come some Fridays, I was ready to let me hair out and wore it that way for the weekend. Then, come Sunday, I was tired of the loose hair and ready to go back into twists. Most of the time, it went like clockwork!

twist out

How do you get past protective styling frustration and boredom?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Abby
Abby

This is the reason why I stick with weaves <3 conroe all my hair and slap a you part wig on it lool. Prevents me from manipulating the hair too much.. PLUS, there are soo many weaves out there that resemble our hair texture.. Try it!

Angela
Angela
Reply to  Abby

I think you got the point Ab

zimzam
zimzam

I think you’re missing the point here Abby.

D
D

This is exactly the article I needed. I started wearing my hair in mini braids (no extensions) until from September to Christmas (transition chop time!), but I’m already getting bored. I wore marley twists with extensions for around 6 months before this. I would like to wear my hair out, but I don’t have the time because of school. I guess I’ll just put up with it

superchick
superchick

Chinwe is such a goddess. You can see her Nigerian beauty from a mile away. I love her articles!

semi

I use protective leave-in conditioners b/c they help keep my hair looking alivee

Sound Of Charm: @NuNAAT Hair Review for Mixed Women http://goo.gl/po4so8 #naturalhair

Adeola @ TheManeCaptain

I leave my hair out on the weekends. But when it’s in extensions, which is rare, I just change up the style and think of how much time i’m saving my keeping my hair bounded 🙂

A.Limb
A.Limb

I totally understand what this frustration is about. I actually stopped longer term protective styles such as twists both flat and single for about 6 weeks to two months following a 3 month Protective Style Challenge. PSC was actually a good experience cause my type 4 hair responded beautifully but the monotony!! 🙁
So, I will continue to implement suggestion 1 which I have began doing then incorporate 2 & 3 though, I’m nervous about extentions

Michelle F.
Michelle F.

I use heat, at least twice a year, that takes away some boredom and I get to see how long my hair actually is.

Jack
Jack

It’s not so much the monotony, but the fact that my twists and braids looks months old after I’ve only had them in a week. I wish I could get more “use” out of the protective style and without looking unkept.

Davi
Davi
Reply to  Jack

Try using flex rods on large sections at nights. It will keep the hair stretched, looking fresh and also giving it body.