2 Reasons You Shouldn’t Miss Another Natural Hair Event

Avatar • Sep 27, 2014

curls&cocktails.PNG

Curls & Cocktails, Natural Hair Shows, Luv and Learn Your Hair are all just a few of the awesome natural hair events I’ve attended.  The natural hair community is steadily growing and natural hair events are a great way to get out and meet some amazing people who already share something in common with you. There are so many different things you can get and learn from different types of events.

curlsand cocktails.PNG

Make New Friends

My favorite event, Curls & Cocktails, is hosted by one of my favorite curlfriends @halfietruths (Kenya Patterson).  It is a monthly event held every other month in Atlanta or Nashville where a bunch of amazing naturals (mostly from instagram) come together to hang out, mingle, talk about hair and have a cocktail or two. She started it so that we could all meet some of our favorite instagramers and also bring women together that share a common mindset. So many great connections and friendships have been built because of Curls & Cocktails.

curls&cocktails2.PNG

Education and Exposure to products and Techniques

Natural Hair Shows are amazing places to find a lot of information about haircare and also discover new haircare lines. I owe a lot of my haircare knowledge to hair shows and sitting in on some of their classes and workshops where instructors go into detail on various haircare topics. I also found some of my favorite hair products at natural hair shows. There are also hair events that serve as a happy balance of both education and networking, like Luv and Learn Your Hair, hosted by Taren Guy. This particular event was amazing because  there was time to socialize with everyone there and network with one another. Afterwards, there was a panel segment where we all talked about different issues in the natural hair community and ways that we could all change to make it the best community possible.

Overall, I think that attending natural hair events will help you to enjoy your journey so much more because you will be able to meet and connect with so many amazing people who can not only help you with your hair journey, but also inspire your life journey.

Have you ever been to a natural hair event? What did you gain from attending? Have you made any new friendships from going?

Tabatha
Tabatha

Well unless it’s in my city I can’t go. Money is tight, so I don’t have the luxury (at the moment) to take a trip, pay for my hotel, food etc. But if it’s in my area then sure I’d go.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Tabatha

So much this. A lot of naturals don’t live near large cities like Atlanta and NYC, so it’s not really feasible for us to go to big natural hair events.

Lynn
Lynn
Reply to  Tabatha

Same thing I was thinking. I’d love to experience an natural hair event; but however they only take place in popular cities. Considering I live in Kentucky I know that’s a wrap, those type of events don’t even exist here.

rb
rb

I’d go if there were more in my area. I agree with Tabitha about lack of funds to travel to a major city, where the shows are more frequent. There was 1 this year and it wasn’t well advertised. If I hadn’t been looking for a hard to find product on a local BSS website, I would have never known.

Saffron247
Saffron247

I would definitely go when I relocate to Atlanta but right now where I live, there are no types of events unless u travel. By the time I tend to find out its at the last minute.

cepfeng
cepfeng

I would love to come if there is one in LA but as a very pale skinned mixed race girl I worry that I would feel unwelcome, honestly

kxlot79
kxlot79
Reply to  cepfeng

I’m not saying your fear isn’t a legitimate one, but the fact that it is even a consideration is so ridiculous to me. We are all mixed race to some degree or another. I really don’t understand who these Black people are that antagonize mixed/light-skinned Black people or why. Though it may seem unfair, the onus is upon you to approach every scenario with an open heart and an open mind. Different meet-ups will be composed of different people and it’s not fair of you or to them to treat them like they’re all the same. It’s important to keep in… Read more »

cepfeng
cepfeng
Reply to  kxlot79

Yes, thank you for the vitriol for something that was quite hard for me to talk about but you actually don’t know anything about me or my experiences 🙂 i was raised in mostly around black people and mid-eastern people and felt sort of a culture shock coming to an all white environment for school etc. where I was teased relentlessly for being mixed. Then, coupled with that I met a few balk women who said they would never want a kid like me because i wasn’t any specific ethnicity (??) just last week I was walking through downtown LA… Read more »

kxlot79
kxlot79
Reply to  cepfeng

There was no vitriol in my comment. I feel empathetic towards anyone who is mistreated. My comment specifically said, “I’m not saying your fear isn’t a legitimate one,” as in, “your fear is legitimate, valid, and has a possibility of happening.” I also wasn’t trying to tell you about your experiences, just attempting to encourage you to experience something that may be more good than bad. There was neither hypocrisy nor self-righteousness in my comment either. I was just offering an alternative perspective on why people avoid one another. And specifically in regards to myself, I try to make a positive… Read more »

cacey
cacey
Reply to  cepfeng

seriously tho…almost half the women in those photos up at the top are visibly multi racial.……so, if pictures are anything to go by, i doubt you’d be alone. not that i’ve ever been to one of those events, but…like what the poster who responded to you said, keep an open mind. you never know til you give it a try.

Brittany
Brittany
Reply to  cepfeng

…I don’t see why not? There are plenty of fair-skinned naturals that are popular on youtube. I don’t see why you would think that you would be “unwelcome”. There are women of all different colors, hair textures, and hair types within the movement. If anything, darker-skinned, kinkier-haired sisters have more to worry about considering the hierarchies present in the natural hair community.

Miss Mo
Miss Mo

Went to my very first event last week “Curls For A Cause”.

Was really nice.

Loved seeing lots of beautiful black women with beautiful hair 🙂

Lénora
Lénora

How can we be informed of the differents events nationwide?

Darlyn
Darlyn
Reply to  Lénora

Google is your friend. If you find any events in your area, there might be a mailing list if there is a website available. 🙂

Blair
Blair
Reply to  Darlyn

Here is a website that tracks a majority of Natural Hair events national wide and globally:

Carlee
Carlee

Although I’m into natural hair, I’m not so much into glam and beauty stuff. I always thought events were more beauty focused. I could be wrong.

Darlyn
Darlyn

There are several natural hair events in the Baltimore/DC area. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to make it to these events due to not having the means.

Plus, I’m suffering from two chronic pain issues. Even though I am not paralyzed, it’s so difficult to have to walk around for so long.

NapturallyKia
NapturallyKia

I live in RI & there’s never any here. 🙁

Jumoké
Reply to  NapturallyKia

Lol that’s my hometown and nothing happens there haha you might have to travel outside to Massachusetts to find a good natural hair meet up

robin
robin

I find this hilarious. Because unless you live in Chicago, ATL, NY, DMV.…You’re not going to a hair event. And when you are a blogger yourself, and attempt to get help, product, and these people don’t help you, I’m so not inclined to support them. I do my own research and do what works for me.

As for the natural hair community.…..I’m officially over it

Sandi
Sandi

Were naturals with short hair not allowed in the picture?

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Sandi

I noticed that too. All of the women are beautiful, but I find it interesting that there was little representation of different lengths and styles in the photos. Would it be wrong of me to feel like there’s a lot of pressure to have big, defined, long hair at these events?

Kim
Kim
Reply to  Sandi

I agree. That’s one thing that I don’t appreciate. Any pics from the curly girl “events” seem to be only of long, thick haired, highly defined, lucious curled blah blah blah heads. Its a little off-putting.

Felicia
Felicia
Reply to  Sandi

You might want to look at the first picture again. I saw at least 3 short hair naturals.

melyssa
melyssa
Reply to  Sandi

There are a couple did you really look?

Genette
Genette
Reply to  Sandi

As one of the participants of Curls and Cocktails who happened to be at this particular one and featured in the first photo (purple sweater), there was no exclusion of short haired naturals. The picture was all in good fun and not exclusion.

Jumoké

Unfortunately I live in south Florida and if there were any natural hair meet up outside of the state, I ain’t funna go. It takes 8 hours just to get out of Florida from Miami! Maybe I should take the above advice and use Google as my reference lol

Denine
Denine

I love going to natural hair events. Especially when workshops are involved. I learn so much. I love seeing all those beautiful black women, all shapes, sizes hair lengths and skin complexions. Black women are truly beautiful. I live in Philadelphia and have been to shows in ATL. It has really helped with my process.

Nicke

If you live in a smaller city, you could always get together with other naturals in your city and host your own natural hair event. I live in a small city in Mississippi and that’s what we did. The event was great and we had an awesome time! Around 75 naturals attended our event. Now, we are in the process of planning another event!

Kenya

Thanks for the shout out Kelsey, I really appreciate it & you know I love you right back:)  Some of these comments are a total bummer! If you don’t like what is going on, do something about it! I didn’t like attending trade shows or natural hair shows bc they don’t interest me. I just want to get cute, have drinks and meet new people…and not have to pay for it! So I created an event that catered to what I was looking for.  You don’t have to be a huge blogger to have a meet-up. I didn’t start Curls &… Read more »

Blair
Blair

Here is a website that post national and international Natural Hair events/meet-ups: