MegaTek is a Growth Aid for Horses… So Why Is it Used for Natural Hair Length Challenges?

Avatar • Aug 26, 2014

mega-tek-rebuilder

If a product is advertised as providing healthy, beautiful manes to horses, then surely it will produce similar results for humans. In theory this may make sense, but in real life, it might not be the best idea.

In 2009, I was ready to take my hair care seriously. I was done with wearing wigs and half wigs, while neglecting my hair. I was also done using the same products that seemed to leave my hair dry and brittle. In addition to using different products, I considered the benefits of hair growth aids, which is when I came across a few animal/human hair products.

Many of you might be familiar with the product Mane n’ Tail. This product existed for many years before the natural hair movement and was all the rage back in the day. This product took advantage of clever marketing, but really doesn’t fall in the animal/human hair category to which I’m referring. I learned of a product called Megatek and began using it to help strengthen my hair and regrow my thinning edges. Honestly, the only issue I had with Megatek was that it had a high concentration of proteins; so it was important to alternate using it every other week to prevent an overload of protein. The product itself was fine. So why am I issuing caution?

Unlike Mane n’ Tail, which you can now find in grocery stores and local pharmacies, I ordered Megatek  from a catalog, that sold horse equipment and grooming products (yes, you read that correctly). I now realize how important it is to distinguish grooming products marketed for both humans and animals that may be harmless from those products that may pose a threat to humans.

Another product I learned about during that time but never tried was called M‑T-G. Two things that discouraged me from using the product was the general consensus that it smelled horrible and secondly, it seemed to claim too much growth.  For small pets the product claimed that users would notice up to 3 inches of growth, which while great for the pets, concerned me.  Personally, I do believe some things can be too good to be true; so I would consult with a dermatologist or trichologist before using such a product.

While the idea of using a product that yields positive results on animals is appealing, even convincing, always err on the side of caution. Even if the product is topical, don’t use it unless it explicitly states that it is marketed for humans. Because these products are often marketed explicitly for animals, the strength may be too concentrated for humans resulting in hair breakage or even hair loss.  Moreover, your options for legal recourse may be limited if the company did not explicitly promote its use by humans.

Remember, these products may not have a harmful effect, but neither are they necessary for healthy hair.  Never endanger your well-being for a few more inches of hair.

Do you have experience with some of the products I named (or similar products)? What were your negative or positive experiences?

Bumper1959
Bumper1959

I have to ask, is this an ‘American’ thing? I have never heard of using animal products amongst any of my peers in the UK. Whilst I am all for growing my hair thick and long, there are limits to the lengths I will go to in order to achieve this.

Lilykoss
Lilykoss
Reply to  Bumper1959

I was thinking the same!! (I am French)

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Bumper1959

Well if that’s what it seems like to you then I guess it’s safe to say it is because they are risk takers, innovative, imaginative, and creative at all cost lol. I mean, look at the influence they’ve had on this modern day natural hair community. This article is old news as someone mentioned. They’ve experimented with all sorts of things but these are how new ideas and discoveries are formed. It’s all part of the process I suppose. I never judge.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Victoria Owl

Thank you Victoria! And who cares which group is using it? Last I heard, ‘Americans’ were a diverse group of people from ALL OVER, so these ideas are — from all over! And it’s not highly original to use animal products or products made for animals on human hair and skin (ratchet weave anybody?!), people have been experimenting for ages. You gauge the level of exposure appropriate for YOU. For anyone who has forgotten, most of us were using RELAXERS, a super-harmful toxic agent, in our hair several times a year NOT TOO LONG AGO! So some people may not approve of… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Elle

Exactly!!! Well said!!!

O
O
Reply to  Bumper1959

It maybe due to the fact that in the EU hair products marketed for humans must clearly state their ingredients on their labels. So if we buy a product without it then we know the manufacturer is hiding something.…

Jo
Jo

I haven’t heard of this one. O_O It’s always best to contact the companies directly when unsure about health related matters associated with it’s product. Perhaps something along the lines of “Hello. Product A is popular among the human hair growth community and there are claims of miraculous increase hair growth and health surrounding Product A. I’d like to know your opinion of this and whether or not this product is safe for such usage. To better illustrate, I have attached a few links of testimonials…” will do. However, i’m nearly 100% certain that the reply will be “We do not recommend… Read more »

Swe.gyal
Swe.gyal

From my understanding megatek is the same thing as ovation cell therapy. Only difference is that megatek is marketed for animal use and is cheaper compared to the ovation cell therapy which is marketed for human use and cost more. If that’s the case (and i could be wrong), how would it be harmful?

mia
mia
Reply to  Swe.gyal

Well it’s harmful for just the reason you stated, “From my understanding…”

Unless someone can prove 100% positive and say “IT IS” instead of “from my understanding it is” the same thing as ovation cell therapy (and provide the evidence) then people should not be using products made for animals on themselves

Bonni
Bonni
Reply to  mia

Swe.gyal is right. I had both. Megatek offered thickness before length and OCT was length before thickness. That was the biggest difference, apart from cost. I think Mega-Tek was like $20 or less and OCT was $70+. I had no side effects from using either, apart from thicker hair, retained length, and the expected increase of shedding. It just didn’t seem practical to me as I was always worried about protein overload and didn’t want to keep buying either when I could just get my protein/moisture balance on point. I don’t know why everyone is having a fit about it being… Read more »

Swe.gyal
Swe.gyal

Nevermind i just noticed it said neither may have hurtful effects. Sorry

sim
sim

Great article as always! I couldn’t agree with you more. I haven’t tried this particular product, but I did try Mane N’ Tail before it was marketed for “people” hair and it dried my hair out so bad it took me hours to detangle it and nurse it back to health. I’ll just stick with what’s meant for human hair. It would be like a doctor prescribing medication for a SPECIFIC client that he would just not prescribe to the general pop for instance. It’s not prescribed to you for a reason. Don’t know if that’s a good analogy, but… Read more »

Stace
Stace

I think it matters less who it is marketed to and more what the ingredients are. I found this listed for the ingredients of mega-tek:Ingredients: Deionized Water, Stearalkonium Chloride, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Castor Oil, Cetrimonium Chloride, Panthenol, Hydrolized Keratin Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance. Pretty much the same general ingredients found in many human cosmetics and conditioners. Nothing in this list of ingredients is specific to animals . Nothing in the list asides from the parabens (the safety of which is debatable) seems of any significant concern. I didn’t check into the other… Read more »

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  Stace

Yea but if there are HUMAN products out there that do the same why are you going out of your way to buy something for a horse? I mean I could clearly eat my cat’s food because nothing in it is harmful to me but.… This is nothing new. When I first returned to my kinks back in 2000/2001 horse products were being chatted about on hair boards back then. People want quick fixes and many think just because they do “research” and get enough information to tickle their ears its perfectly ok to use animal products on their human hair.… Read more »

Stace
Stace
Reply to  JenniD

Me personally I have never used any of these thing. The author alluded to it being unsafe and an unnecessary risk. Im just simply pointing out that its not dangerous to use. People are free to do whatever they want, but they should have equitable information.

Treacle
Treacle
Reply to  JenniD

Totally agree. I find it embarrassing and a little degradingly sad (read ‘pathetic’) that people are so inclined to do ‘anything’ to achieve the results they want. The suggestion by one commenter that someone should contact the company with a request and explanation is equally worrying. Just think of the negative message it sends to such companies about black hair(!!). Some bigoted people/groups in society already come from a long line of racists who have purported that blacks are sub-human. This’d just confirm their twisted lies. Think people, please.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Treacle

“I find it embarrassing and a little degradingly sad (read ‘pathetic’) that people are so inclined to do ‘anything’ to achieve the results they want.” Embarrassing? Sad? Pathetic? What do you call relaxers/texturizers, jheri curls, pressing combs, ‘smoothing treatments’, 50+ minute long YT vids on the perfect curl, the gaggle of Korean-owned weave stores in OUR neighborhoods, the multibillion dollar natural hair industry, wash day, and on and on? Many of us have been “embarrassing and a little degradingly sad (read ‘pathetic’)” in our hair evolution, and in full display of our peers, children and the bigots you speak of. Opinions are one… Read more »

Bumper1959
Bumper1959
Reply to  JenniD

I’m more worried about the ingredients they omit/disguise!

O
O
Reply to  JenniD

I wouldn’t eat pet food.

Seriously.

Some of it is unfit for human consumption but fine for animals.

Jenny
Jenny

I used MTG yrs ago based on the advice from the forum groups. That stuff smelled so horrible but I didn’t care since I believe MTG was going to increase my hair growth. One day, I’m in the elevator at work and one of my co-workers turned to me and asked “it smells like bacon” That was the last time I ever used MTG lol.

Michelle
Michelle
Reply to  Jenny

Yes, I remember the MTG craze!!! I remember reading on one of the long hair message boards about a lady who claimed her co-worker decided to REALLY speed up her growth by ingesting a couple tablespoons of that stuff. People asked for updates about the co-worker’s health, but the poster never responded. For a long time I wondered if that story was even true and, if so, if the lady who allegedly ingested the MTG was still healthy/alive.

Dee*
Dee*

This article makes some good points as to what some women will do for length.

But to answer the question, why are growth aids for horses used for length challenges?

Because it’s a RACE to get the longest hair possible in the shortest amount of time! (joke’s a lil corny but I snickered lol)

Redseouls
Redseouls
Reply to  Dee*

I’m snickering too!! 😀

Shonta
Shonta

Honestly I feel like the strong desire for length over health is getting out of hand when us naturals start seeing pet/animal vitamins as an option. No hate but I’m more concerned with my health to try this.

iluvnappyedges
iluvnappyedges
Reply to  Shonta

Do not forget the vaginal cream for yeast infections years ago naturals was on the bandwagon about how good it was…ain’t no way I will use animal growth aids and cream used for the coochie! NO!

Elle
Elle
Reply to  iluvnappyedges

From what I understand it was used by some for scalp fungus.

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/What+the+hell+am+I+reading.jpg[/img]

What the heck am I reading.

TS
TS
Reply to  0101

Lmaooo!

DutchGirl4C
DutchGirl4C
Reply to  0101

Link is dead. Please correct?

Shebababy126
Shebababy126

Wow!…so THATS what these natural hair bloggers and vloggers have been using to grow their hair at an accelerated rate…ok…I won’t mention any names but there are some who claim or advise that they used these techniques on their hair that is so different…not combing their hair…using heat…not using heat…using certain products and practices…When all they have done is used is horse shampoo.…they need to fess up…because they get on here and show pictures of their long beautiful hair to those who are transition or big chopped and are struggling thru their hair journey…and feeling frustrated… When in actuality is… Read more »

TS
TS
Reply to  Shebababy126

You tried it.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Shebababy126

?? I don’t understand this comment. “so THATS what these natural hair bloggers and vloggers have been using to grow their hair at an accelerated rate”
So you read one article, based on methods that a small group of people may have explored and this is your conclusion? Wow…Just wow. The natural hair community has now turned into a conspiracy? Lol. This type of thinking is why there is so much confusion in this world…But maybe you were just playing around…Right?

Cygnet
Cygnet
Reply to  Victoria Owl

I think—I hope—she was just being sarcastic.

Ahem
Ahem
Reply to  Shebababy126

Waaaaaaay back when using megatek as a way to help retain length it was in fact tested and approved for human use. This article is muchado about nothing.

Shebaby, while I don’t think all naturals with long hair secretly use this product I am aware that a lot of the top gurus did jump through hoops (crazy vitamin regimens, souped up growth oils, fungal cream etc ) before switching to a simple reggie after hitting their goals.

NapturallyKia
NapturallyKia

-____- why? What would make someone order products from an animal catalog? How did you even get your hands on a horse product catalog? Are you a equestrian? Vet? If so, you should know human and animal products have two totally different standards that deem said products safe. It’s a reason why “not fit for human and/or animal use and consumption” are on labels. Guess that isn’t a good enough to deter people these days.

Treacle
Treacle
Reply to  NapturallyKia

Well said. Even the ingredients list being similar to products for humans doesn’t endorse safety. I hope people realise that ‘safe’ levels are less stringent for animals than for humans, so logically higher quantities of ingredients such as parabens are permissible in these animal products. It smacks too much of desperation to go ahead and say it’s ok.

straightnochaser
straightnochaser

Why the obsession with better and faster ways to grow hair? Keep it clean, conditioned, moisturized, heat free, or at least use minimum heat, and keep it hands free. I would never use a product created for horses on my head.

Bettii
Bettii

I use megatek as a protein treatment and i love it. It help me to retain lenght. Its the first time that i use a product that can make my hair stronger like dat. Megatek is da bomb. I use it and i will use it forever. Why cause the webside they say dat u can use for human. And ovation and megatek have same ingredients. Ovation is too pricey because they just change the packaging and say thats human. I dont want to pay more for the same product. I dont rely care what people say. My hair love it i have less… Read more »

naturally Tee
naturally Tee

The lengths people will go to for length Wow.

straightnochaser
straightnochaser
Reply to  naturally Tee

Great pun!

coco.plum
coco.plum

WEll.…. My mom tried this because i Jamaican lady at work recommended it. She dilutes a lot and sprays it on her hair… S he says it works really well, but I’m not really sure how well it works really. But whatever works as long as its safe should be fine

Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

I purchased MTG (mane tail groom) for my Rottweiler/lab dog. She had naked spots from a fungus (or mite?). She had leathery grey patches where the hair came off in tufts. I sprayed MTG on the spots, the scent reminded me of bacon cooked in kerosene. Remember the old ‘Glover’s mange medicine”? That’s what the scent is reminiscent of. How anyone would be courageous enough to put MTG on their body baffles me. I digress. MTG WORKED! The hair came back within two weeks, and the loss was imperceptible within the month. Whatever was ailing her was annihilated by the… Read more »

Irritated
Irritated

I know this post is old but it’s really frustrating to see all of the ignorance here. I find it CRAZY that all of these women think they are too good to try something that is intended for horse grooming, when; 1. People have used it and it’s been effective for them

2. I bet most of the women commenting negativitly use makeup, which many companies TEST ON ANIMALS before saying it’s okay to put on HUMAN FACES.

If you’re so against using horse shampoo then a lot of makeup should be out of the question too. SMFH

Apple
Apple

The funny thing. Animal skin tend to be more sensitive with less layers than human, thus the fur needed to protect it. Ergo, the danger is most likely the other way around. What is ok for human skin is to strong for animal skin.

Betty Poo
Betty Poo

First you say you used Mega Tek, then you say use caution? Why not expound on your experience and technique while using the product since you felt it was safe enough to use in the first place?