Janelle Monae’s Debuts Amazing Fro in Electric Lady Video + Ashanti & Monica Show Off Their Box Braids + “The Walking Dead’s” Danai Gurira at Comic Con

Avatar • Aug 1, 2014

Janelle Monae afro Electric Lady

Our favorite android, Janelle Monae recently premiered her new music video for her second single, “Electric Lady.” In the video, Monae reintroduces us to that big, beautiful and bountiful fro of hers. The video also stars lovely talented ladies such as T‑Boz, Estelle, Esperanza Spaulding, Monica, Kimbra and Fatima. Watch Monae break out the Nae-Nae and marching band the A Different World/School Daze college-themed music video below:

Not always there when you call, but always on time…

ashanti box braids

Yes, Ashanti herself is sporting a fresh face and the go-to summer style, box braids. The singer uploaded photos of her protective style to instagram. Looks good, girl!

Also joining in on the box braids action is songstress, Monica who uploaded a few photos of her braided do to her instagram as well.

monica brown braids natural hair style

Love the looks on both of these R&B Divas.

Comic Con in San Diego this weekend brought out a lot of stars from some of our favorite shows.

danai gurira comic con 2014

So, it’s no surprise that the radiant Danai Gurira of AMC’s The Walking Dead was in attendance. Have you seen the trailer for the new season? It’s safe to say Gurira’s character, “Michonne” will be kicking butt and taking names.

What do you think of the ladies looks?

momofIV
momofIV

I love Danai…she is beautiful, smart, and articulate, and can kick ass with that awesome Katana sword. I would love too see more of her featured on BGLH.

B3 Fearless
B3 Fearless

The video was cute. Her fro was fierce! I got a little excited when I saw the dude wearing the Dwayne Wayne glasses. Lol I got more of an “A Different World” vibe than “School Daze”.

Was that T.I. Janae was dancing with at the end of the video?

All of the ladies in this post look lovely with their natural styles. Ashanti looks like a teenager in her pic.

DeeDee
DeeDee
Reply to  B3 Fearless

Yep, that was T.I.P 🙂

curious
curious

Always been curious why weave braids are considered a natural style? I mean its weave right so why is that considered natural? I know it’s protective but not all protective styles are just for natural girls. I am really asking not shading either.

Vikki
Vikki
Reply to  curious

I think many of these braided styles are considered “natural” simply because of their origins. Specifically, Box Braids (from my knowledge) was inspired by the hairstyles of the Mbalantu tribe who would use oils and tree bark to braid their natural hair and grow it out to long lengths. [img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/LongBraids.jpg[/img] It is true that many in the states use weave instead of braiding their own natural hair. However, when I think of how these looks are inspired by african braiding styles that have existed for decades, perhaps even centuries, I personally enjoy that they are an inclusive part of the… Read more »

Vikki
Vikki
Reply to  Vikki

I forgot to source the original image; http://www.gondwana-collection.com

kade
kade
Reply to  curious

I think it’s because braids reflect ‘black’ (African/Black American) culture whereas weave is European/western beauty. I do not mean to offend anyone it’s just the way I think of it. And just to add I love myself some weaves occasionaly so I’m not against it. Whew! Just felt I should add that so I don’t get slaughtered! Lol just in case!

Dorcas
Dorcas
Reply to  curious

I agree with Vikki. Box braids are a natural hairstyle because they are distinctly African. They do not mimick the long and straight free-flowing hair of Asians and Europeans, which is evident in weave extensions. It is because of this trait that they rightfully belong to the natural hair community. For my fragile coarse hair, box braids have been a life-saver because wearing my hair out causes breakage and doing twists without extensions does not last long — after 1 week, its a frizzy mess.

Karine
Karine

Janelle is perfection *.*

Stace
Stace

Danai is really pretty…these pics don’t even do her enough justice…the first time I saw her outside of character I was stunned by her beauty.

brit
brit

Ashanti looks like a teenager! She looks fresh faced and gorgeous 🙂

Cynthia
Cynthia

Janelle Monae is SO BEAUTIFUL. Would you look at her face?! And she has gorgeous hair on top of that. It’s so awesome to see a lovely woman like her sport her curls. So few black music artists actually do that.

Brit