How to Maintain Heat Straightened Natural Hair for 2 Weeks!

Avatar • Aug 24, 2014

Cassandre straightened natural hair

by Cassandre of CassandreBeccai.com (pictured above)

The first time I ever heat straightened my hair was a disaster. It took what felt like an eternity to go through the whole process of roller setting my hair prior to flat ironing. My hair reverted within an hour and it looked nothing like I anticipated.

However, I didn’t know what I did with my hair immediately after my press and every evening that follows would have such a huge bearing on how long my hair lasts in the straightened style. I’ve yet to keep a super pin straight look on flat-ironed natural hair for longer than 7 hours, but I’ve learned a few techniques that help it to stay relatively straight for two weeks.

Here are my tips to maintaining heat straightened natural hair:

1. Use a silicone or mineral based oil to repel humidity.

While I’m not a big silicone or mineral oil user, these ingredients have their place especially when it comes to heat styling. Silicone is a good heat repellent for flat ironing and moth silicone and mineral oil are best for long-term water repulsion. I suggest using them right at the start to keep frizzy hair at bay.  Just a note- mineral oil can be super oily, so if you don’t want that look use a light hand when applying it to your hair.

2. Use a flexi-rod or any other kind of roller to set each freshly pressed piece of hair.

When I first flat ironed my hair as a new natural, I didn’t understand that my hair would instinctively revert as soon as the flat iron was removed from my hair. I didn’t realize that my kind of hair needed a little bit of “setting” before I could wear it out to allow my cuticles to settle down and not grab for water so quickly from the atmosphere. One trick I learned to prolong that quick reversion is rolling each freshly flat-ironed piece around a flexi-rod, other curler or pin curl it.

3. Immediately wrap hair after your press.

This is relatively the same idea as #2. Once I’m done pressing my hair, I remove all the flexi-rods and wrap my hair around my head then put a satin scarf around it. After my hair has cooled down from the flat ironing, I take down the wrap for a nice silky, straight look. You can skip this step if you want the curls to remain in your hair. Just don’t remove the curlers before your hair has cooled down.

4. Use an oil every other day to help repel humidity.

Following the days after I flat iron, I now use an oil to help repel humidity. I like to use my “brilliant sealant” concoction (check it out here). It’s a little oily, but it’s helpful in providing nutrients to my hair while keeping it relatively straight, shiny and soft.

5. Pin curl or wrap your hair every night.

I don’t think this tip can be replaced or removed. For my hair, I’ve found that it’s essential to maintaining a straightened style. I prefer pin curling my hair because I found that a curly style on straightened afro-textured hair tends to better hide reversion.

What are your best tips for maintaining thermally straightened afro-textured hair?

Cassandre Beccai: Just another naturalista playing by my own rules!

About Cassandre

Just another naturalista playing by my own rules! Got hair that doesn't seem to grow past your shoulders? Check out my free Grow Your Hair Faster Video Course

silkynaps
silkynaps

Any tips for someone that works out? I wear my natural texture because one drop of sweat reverts my hair.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  silkynaps

…I often wonder if a dry shampoo would work in this case. Perhaps if you apply some dry shampoo to your roots prior to working out it would absorb some of the sweat.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Stace

p.s. Use a non aerosol dry shampoo (which does not contain an alcohol or chemical propellant). In addition play hair in a smooth bun by putting it up in a pony tail (not too tight) then twirling the hair (like a giant flat twist) then spinning the twist around into a donut shape, atop your head. Lastly, wear a sweat band snuggly at your hairline, and behind (not over) your ears. I would think even making the hair into two buns would be even better; to allow some air to get to your scalp.

silkynaps
silkynaps
Reply to  Stace

I think dry shampoo is more for oil than sweat, but buns are worth a try. thanks!

Stace
Stace
Reply to  silkynaps

Well the core of a dry shampoo is a starch..usually cornstarch…so it should absorb water as well…anything really that can absorb oil will also absorb water, so in theory it should still work.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  silkynaps

It’s worth a try, can’t hurt. Let me know if you try it, and let me know how the buns works out too. Good Luck. My mom sweats profusely from her scalp aside from exercising and its a major struggle for her. I had some of lushes dusting powder , they also have the dry shampoo, but they both contain corn starch, she used it and said it really helped the sweating. I ended up buying her a bottle.

nubiahbella
nubiahbella

Great tips and they come right on time as I wanted to straighten my hair but was a bit hold off since the few times I did it , it reverted as soon as I stepped out of the house or hairdresser.

Chelsea

I have accepted the fact that I can’t wear my hair bone straight, however pin curls will last multiple weeks. Even when the roots of my start reverting the fullness of the curls disguise it better then simply straight hair. In the picture my hair is a week old.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_2851.jpg[/img]

Jo
Jo

When, I first clicked on this, I was led to Adult Friend Finder… Again. D=
Oh, woe is me for I cannot unsee the ghastly horrors I have seen!

silkynaps
silkynaps
Reply to  Jo

Horrors? Ummm…how long did you stay on that sight 😉

User5-6919
User5-6919
Reply to  Jo

Hey Jo, out of interest, did you click on this article link from the e‑mail or from Bloglovin? I get those nasty ads from the BGLH e‑mails as well as the links from Bloglovin. =(

Now I just remember to manually go to the website to avoid accidentally having that kinda website in my history. *sigh*

Chanda
Chanda

When I’m serious about my hair straightening I always use a good press and a bit of grease. The flat/curling iron is good for bumping the ends but I want to do the pin curls the next time I straighten my hair.

Yo Yo
Yo Yo

I just did hot yoga for the first time last night. I straightened my natural hair last week (wash day will be thursday or friday this week). All I kept thinking was how I would have to at least co-wash my hair after it became puffy/frizzy after an hour in 100 degree temp plus humidity! Well, prior to the class I moisturized with natty naturals natty creme (lightly, it’s water based) followed by a little natty butter, then anti-humidity pomade from justnaturalskincare.com (I have been using their products for years. 100% all-natural. Prices seem high but you get a lot… Read more »

Rikki
Rikki

So I flat ironed my hair after like a year, yikes!! Lol, the tips you posted are great ones that definitely helped.in the past my hair could stay relatively straight for a week when I wasn’t looking after it as much as now so interested to see what happens.are you better able to explain how exactly you wrap the hair to protect it and keep the shape as I just used to sleep on a satin pillowcase. Thanks