How to Achieve Heatless Bouncy Curls in 6 Easy Steps

Avatar • Aug 2, 2014

image (50) by Kelsey (pictured above) of Lifewithcoco2

Natural Hair is so versatile. One of my favorite looks is huge bouncy curls. In the past, (permed hair days) I had to use a curling iron in order to achieve the bouncy curl look and then consequently had to worry about my curls falling. Since going natural, I have discovered the amazingness of flexi rods! Flexi rods can create beautiful bouncy curls that last for days without using any heat. Im going to give you a step by step on how to get soft bouncy curls by using flexi rods and a spray bottle of water. (Depending on your hair length and thickness, I would say you will need 25–30 rollers)

Here is the step by step process:

1. First you want to start out with dry stretched hair. I normally start with an old braid out. Part your hair however you’d like your curls to fall. I normally do my signature side part

heatless curls natural hair step 1

2. Next part your hair in four sections so that you can apply the rods section by section. Section off about an inch of hair and spray it with water. Make sure that your hair is just a little damp and not soaking wet. Smooth your hair out using a bristle brush.

heatless curls natural hair step 2

3. Take your flexi rod and starting from the end of your hair, roll the rod up until it is at you scalp and then bend the two ends of the rod to secure. Follow these same steps all through out your hair

heatless curls step 3

4. Once you have all of your rods in, you can either sit under a hooded dryer or sleep with the rods in over night.

heatless curls step 4

Note: before taking the rods out, make sure your hair is 100% dry.

5. Take all of the rods out and then begin to separate the curls

heatless curls step 5

6. Shake and fluff the curls to your liking and voila!

heatless curls final

This is my go to hair style when I want to jazz it up and doing something different. Its perfect for a wedding or any kind of elegant event because there are so many ways you can style these curls.

What is your favorite go to hairstyle?

About Kelsey: I’m Kelsey Janae aka Lifewithcoco2, I love all things natural hair. I seek to inspire and educate using my knowledge of all things hair, health, and beauty. My goal is to encourage women and men to always be the best version of themselves.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Redseouls
Redseouls

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Jacky
Jacky

Lovely! I loved it. I’ve seen a lot of pictures of naturals with beautiful bouncy curls( including a picture of the author of this article ) in the past, but i assumed that the styles were achieved with the use of a curling iron… Well, now I know the truth. I already have flexi rods so I’ll get right to work on achieving this style or a similar style soon. Thanks for sharing. P.S. I love your hair color!

licyy
licyy
Reply to  Jacky

i cant wait till my hair is long enough to do anything of the sort

ade
ade

Nice…but I find flexi rods so uncomfortable to sleep in..used it last week. Won’t be using it again as it left me with a painful head and sore neck.

Vee
Vee
Reply to  ade

@ ade, you can prevent that. Here’s how, after installing your flexi rods properly and completely simply walk into any hair salon and request to use their hooded dryer and pay for the service (where you don’t have one at home,I’ve tried it b4!). Don’t stand up until you’re sure your hair is 100 % dry, go back home and do the rest. #Useful Tip: don’t this on a day you have enough time on your hands.
#ihopethishelps
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_20140726_00125637.jpg[/img]

Vee
Vee
Reply to  Vee

CORRECTION on my reply
#Useful Tip:: DO this on a day you have enough time on your hands.
#ihopethishelps
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_20140726_00125637‑1.jpg[/img]

Darlyn
Darlyn

I’m gonna get some done in about a month!

Twinkle
Twinkle

I am definitely getting flexi rods now..you inspired me! Lol I love your make up as well,beautiful!

chrissi

Great vid!

Tequila b
Tequila b

WhAt is that amazing color from?

AnaDion
AnaDion

I really appreciated that this wasn’t posted in video format.

Not every tutorial requires a 14 minute video.

Kenna
Kenna

Great tutorial, I have discovered how to create bouncy curls and stretch hair by using a similar method. I use curlformers on washed hair which stretches my hair and give me spirals after the second day I use flexi rods to get beautiful curls, after that I wear it in a puff and after the 4th day I do a twist out on my super stretched hair. My twist-out is then bouncy and big. That’s how I maintain my hair now a days. It’s like I have fell in love with my natural hair all over again.