3 Ways to ‘Repair’ Heat Damage Without Scissors

Avatar • Aug 7, 2014

flat ironed natural hair cassandre beccai

by Cassandre of Cassandrebeccai.com (pictured above)

So you took that flat iron to your luscious mane and after 2 weeks of rocking a semi-straight look turned blow-out (cuz you know how our hair starts to swell), you wash your hair and then…those few strands at the crown of your head just won’t curl.

Seeing your hair not reverting back at this point, you may be hyperventilating or perhaps you’re as calm as a cucumber (or not!) either way, whatever your reaction- you’re just not happy about this new discovery.

While heat damage can’t be undone 100%, and you would have to cut it off to remove all unhealthy strands, you may be able to save your curl with some intensive and consistent TLC.

1. Reconstruct to recuperate and rejuvenate.

Aphogee for Natural Hair

Lot’s of uncool stuff happened to you hair while it was getting heat up by your flat iron. Bonds and proteins have been compromised and one of the best ways to help things get back on par is through the use of a recontructor. There are few products I stand by as much as this one- Aphogee’s 2 Minute Reconstructor. That stuff is a mini-miracle is a bottle and if you didn’t know, you know now! Use it as directed on a weekly basis and watch you hair revert slowly, but surely (if the heat damage isn’t too bad).

2. Moisturize, moisturize and moisturize some more.

hello

Your hair is super cried out from thermal appliances at this point so don’t skimp on that deep conditioning treatment! Your hair is really going to crave this kind of treatment. One uber inexpensive conditioner I like is Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, which I also mix with some olive oil. Follow with an intense moisturizing lotion like Oatmilk n’ Honey (my absolute fave in moisturizing lotions, which has a base of water + aveena sativa for that extra hydration your hair craves).

3. Heat Hiatus

Since you’ve recognized and acknowledged your problem, it’s now time to put that Babybliss away! I know it might be even more tempting to use heat now because you want your textures to match, but don’t do it. You’ll only make the problem worse and what’s the point when you’re goal is good hair health? Keep an eye on your hair and don’t use heat until you see a drastic improvement in your curl pattern.

Check out my video on combating heat damage below:

What are some things you’ve done to help you hair recover from heat damage?

Cassandre Beccai: Just another naturalista playing by my own rules!

About Cassandre

Just another naturalista playing by my own rules! Got hair that doesn't seem to grow past your shoulders? Check out my free Grow Your Hair Faster Video Course

Miss Mo
Miss Mo

Great tips thanks. I actually use the Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor protein conditioner and a heat protect prior to using heat.

I air dry most times though. Use heat once in a blue moon.

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Miss Mo

I know this reply is almost 3 years after your original comment, but how often do you use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor?

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair

Wouldn’t the Aphogee 2 step Protein Treatment be more effective since it is a more concentrated potion?

lexibugg
lexibugg

You don’t want to use the protein treatment weekly…I literally just used the keratin treatment and there is no crunch brittleness like immediately after the protein. ..my hair is silky detangle springy and defined..

Jacky
Jacky

Nice tips, thanks for posting!

Tisha
Tisha

Not to panic! I don’t think 90% of heat damage is heat damage! (10 thumbs down right there ;)Please, here me out. We have heard of cherry lola something right or the lime and coconut thing or Henna! They ALL Loosen Curl! Usually people don’t panic because the effects are slower and usually Temporary! Not All the time but most. And you look at the Concept of heat training your hair. If they were to stop yes the new growth would not be trained but they always go over the rest of the hair to. Yes I know they have… Read more »

DutchGirl4C
DutchGirl4C

Cassia,… cassia,…CASSIA!! I’ll say it again. Cassia DC treatment stopped severe, 4C fine hair, hair breakage. I had 2 months of Breakage Galore, after having severe heat damage due to a treatment from a “professional” hairdresser. I moisturized ’till my hair went limp. NOTHING, I repeat,… NO-THING would stop the breakage. It kept on going. I was so desperate, almost wanted to cry. Just didn’t know what to do.… Eventually I tried the natural Cassia powder treatment, in which you mix the powder with a little conditioner and natural oils, as a DC treatment. Et voilà. The hair breakage stopped… Read more »

Cass
Reply to  DutchGirl4C

ooo thanks for the tip on using cassia!

RozB

I use a deep conditioner (I like Shea Moisture’s different ones) and I sit under my steamer for abot 20 minutes before washing and rinsing with cool water. Pat dry with a tee shirt (don’t rub — it makes hair frizy), and two-strand twist with perm rods on the ends.

michellej
michellej

I have been using the karmin Spray Heat Protector and works really well for my hair. =)