The Awesomeness of Natural Hair Expressed in Gifs

Avatar • Jul 27, 2014

erykah badu natural hair afro

Natural hair is nothing new. Throughout the 60’s and 70’s, Black women and men sported shiny, soft, gravity-defying afros. But as the 80’s rolled in, Afro Sheen got swapped out for Soul Glo and jheri curl juice — until curls, kinks and coils slowly faded into the background.

But in recent years, natural hair has begun to dominate the scene — and while some would rather see it fade into obscurity like jersey dresses (I know you remember those), the truth is that #NaturalHair is here to stay. Here’s 11 reasons (among 50 bajillion) why:

1. It’s not a fad or fashion trend, it’s a community.

We’ve got blogs, magazine columns, Instagrams, YouTubes, hashtags, pinterests, forums, meetup groups, festivals, twitters, expos, and soooo much more.

2. Products, and products, and products galore! Available on shelves at your favorite stores!

Natural hair products used to be few and far between. Now, they’re just a click online or a short drive to a major retail chain away.

3. The “naturals in public” head nod of acknowledgement.

You’re walking down the street, or in the mall. You cross paths with another natural. Smiles, head nods and hellos ensue. You keep it cool on the outside, but inside you’re like:

1371684603566567_animate

It’s really that exciting.

4. Our men dig it.

5. Black owned businesses are thriving.

Good-for-your hair products, t‑shirts, bags, phone cases, head wraps, bonnets and hair tools are getting crazy love and support. Let’s keep that trend going.

6. We can mold our hair to be whatever we want it to be. Literally, whatever.

Settle on one style? Bye, Felicia.

7. Women from all corners of the earth covet our hair, instead of the other way around.

fluffing afro puffs

Yep, our hair sure is.

8. Let’s face it: those random conversations in the aisle of Target or Sally’s discussing products with complete strangers are so much fun.

emma-stone-amanda-bynes-scream

What products did I use? Follow me, girl!

9. For better or worse, the comment sections of blogs, YouTube videos, and forum threads make for some great entertainment.

10. It looks great on EVERYONE.

black-women natural hair

Literally, everyone.

11. It lets our little ones know they are beautiful, as is.

Train up a child in the way she should go.…

Why do you think #NaturalHair is here to stay?

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Word
Word

So positive! Love it! 🙂

IB
IB

Firstly, the lady in gif #7 is STUNNING & her hair is incredible! Wow!

Secondly, I can’t deny it I got a little emotional reading this, especially the last point. It’s NEVER been “just” hair.

anna
anna
Reply to  IB

the girl in the gif is a model i remember her on americas next top model 🙂

Damilola
Reply to  anna

Her name is Annaliese Dayes. Your Welcome 🙂

Coco
Coco
Reply to  IB

Thank you sooooo much for saying that last sentence. I absolutely hate when women say it’s JUST hair. Long, short, kinky or straight…or crown is our glory.

Never trivialize our crown.

CherryBOMB
CherryBOMB

Haha I love this! @#2 when walgreens has that BOGO sale… God help you finding a scrap of SheaMoisture lmao I ALWAYS MISS IT SMH @#3 I have been diagnosed with Resting B*tch Face, but whenever I see a fellow natural, I give a big smile without even realizing it! @#4 I find older (40’s+) Black men loooooovveee my hair, and not in a creepy, sugardaddy kind of way (I’m 22). Even if I’m wearing a simple low bun (my default ‘going to work’ hairdo lol) they always stop me just to say ‘your hair is so beautiful miss!’ and keep it… Read more »

Mere
Mere
Reply to  CherryBOMB

See in the UK we never get these bogof sales! Not only are all the shea moisture products here expensive despite being like $10 in the US you guys get sales too!!! *fumes*

Evelyn Soetono
Reply to  Mere

I feel your pain! I’m from the UK and live in the US. I have friends there who tell me how hard (impossible)it is to find any kind of deal anywhere. England is gansta 😉

Dee
Dee
Reply to  Mere

Sounds like you need to get a shipping buddy to hook it up for you! 🙂

maralondon
maralondon
Reply to  Mere

Mere, it depends on the products you use. I can go to whole foods or Holland and Barrets and find products i love using on my hair but usually stock up when they are on promotion.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  CherryBOMB

a little Black girl came up to me and told me my hair was beautiful and she wanted her hair to be like mine when she grew up (she had 2 puffs). I told her so was she, and that her hair was already beautiful, and to never believe anyone who said otherwise.”

!!!!! Love this <3

KP
KP
Reply to  CherryBOMB

I love those Walgreens BOGO sales! You can ask for a raincheck when they’re out of stock during those sales. Then you can return when they’ve restocked. 🙂 I have a stack of rainchecks because of all those BOGO sales. And thankfully, I won’t need to pay full price for SM for awhile.

juanicole617
juanicole617

This was awesome and entertaining! I’m all for this!

RB
RB

#11 is EVERYTHING! We can’t expect our children (girls AND boys) to love their hair if they don’t see it amongst the grown women in their life. Damn the media. What matters is what they see in real life.

Persistence
Persistence

I enjoyed this, thank you lol

Nicole
Nicole

@#5 That’s why we need to uplift OUR community, and not the one that’s bought out by white companies…

mary
mary

Of course its here to stay. We are born like that.

Mere
Mere

I love positive articles like this! It’s like buzzfeed without the negative comments 🙂

silkynaps
silkynaps

The Old Spice dude gif is an interesting choice considering he made some very derogatory comments about “nappy” hair.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  silkynaps

What did he say?

silkynaps
silkynaps
Reply to  Deb

Something about wanting to have babies with someone that has “good” hair because his is so nappy.

Vikki
Vikki
Reply to  Deb

Something along the lines of wanting to be with a woman with “good hair”, so his kids would also have it. This was combined with him making a statement on how he was having a bad hair day and his own hair was “nappy”.

Chanda
Chanda
Reply to  silkynaps

#4 Should have read other men dig it, because well they do.

Commonsense
Commonsense

This is so wonderful! It is so amazing to see women being free and celebrating their natural beauty! As a natural woman, who has actually been natural many times before, I find that my hair is far more versatile without a perm. I feel free as a natural and it is true that what God gives you is more often what looks best on you!!!!!!

Darlyn
Darlyn

I love this list!

Brittany.L

I Looooovvveeee This Post!!!! I’ve been MIA on BGLH too came back at the right time lol.

Visit http://www.curlskinksfashion.com to check out our 2‑week Giveaway of amazing hair products

KP
KP

Gus betta eat that popcorn. #9 is very real. The comments section can be quite entertaining at times.

Dee
Dee

I love this list 🙂 It makes me happy that I’m returning to natural. I really and truly believe that going natural IS for everybody and I hope other naturals read this list and smile as I did.

Yvette M

Just the motivation I needed. I’m in the awkward stage of transitioning and I have been itching to get my hands on some relaxer. But this post made me remember some of the reasons why I’m going natural

lovemycoils
lovemycoils

Love this whole post! And #3 though!

Laurie
Laurie

Give it a few décades… The futures generations won’t even know what a perm is!

Claudine C.
Claudine C.

Love this article and #11! Growing up, my mom always made me feel good about my hair and that’s the way it should be. When I have kids of my own someday day, I’m gonna teach them to embrace their natural beautiful selves!

Claudine C.
Claudine C.
Reply to  Claudine C.

*Oops typo lol

Primmest Plum
Primmest Plum

I agree with everything except for #4 really. I actually lol’d. Seriously, who are you fooling? Maybe older sets of Black men dig natural hair but guys n my age group: 18–25. Not quite.

Otherwise this was super fun. #9 is the truth for me lol It is ALWAYS interesting hahaha.

alt-K
alt-K

Great article!!! I do find that women of all races are envying black natural hair and the versatility right now!!! I receive so many compliments.

Leesha
Leesha

Lol number 9 is the truth!!

Olivia
Olivia

I especially agree with the last one. Too many black mothers (or mothers of other races who have adopted/biracial children) teach their young girls that their natural hair is ugly, that they need to relax it or wear wigs to cover the texture and make it beautiful. One of my favorite things that tackled this issue was the “Good Hair” episode of the Tyra show. It’s actually very educational and surprising. Absolutely worth a watch. I am so grateful to my mother (Who is white. I think that part is important) who took the time to learn how to naturally… Read more »

youngin girl
youngin girl

I have the 11th picture as my wallpaper on my youtube channel or Google plus. This is a great article. I do agree on number 6, 3, and 1. I have seen some natural women in commerical’s lately. Like the back-to-school ones and the wireless phone commerical when the family is giving the mother a birthday cake.

Joy
Joy

The irony using the guy who said he said he wants his future wife and kids to have “good hair!” as the guy who “digs it” on number 4.