Parody Video Shows How Awful Many Natural Hair YouTube Tutorials Can Be

Avatar • Jul 21, 2014

image

With the rise in popularity of natural hair comes the proliferation of blogs and YouTube channels dedicated to the subject. I dare you to Google “twist out tutorial” and see how many results pop up with a plethora of products and methods for just this one style.

By and large, YouTube is an incredible asset, particularly for styling tutorials and how-tos. Some ladies are just documenting their natural hair journey and sharing discoveries, while others are heralded as “gurus”  of length, style, techniques, information and more. But sometimes, the videos can be a little over the top with editing effects and sponsored product pushing. But rather than record a rant, NYC-based comedian Akilah Hughes created a hilarious parody titled, “Every Natural Hair Video Ever”.

From the self-indulgent hair montages to the “same length for the past 6 years” length check, Hughes’ humorous poke at the natural hair community is refreshingly accurate and lightheartedly incriminating.

image

After obsessively replaying the video, watching several others and doubling over in laughter, I had the awesome opportunity to connect with Akilah for a little Q&A about hair, comedy and YouTube videos:

The “Every Natural Hair Video Ever” video is hilarious. What moved you to actually putting it together? Was there a tipping point for you that made you say, “I’ve GOT to do this”?

Truthfully, it has been on my mind a lot. I get tons of questions on my tumblr every week from girls asking me to do hair videos and while I love my hair and would like to give advice where I can, I know that (A) I’m not an expert and (B) what works for me won’t necessarily work for anyone else. I also don’t do many different styles so the videos would for sure get repetitive. This video was my answer to all the requests.

Your video can also be seen as a virtual list of pet peeves for subbies watching natural hair videos. Out of all the ones covered in the video, which 3 things irk you the most about natural hair videos on YouTube and why?

I think the biggest thing has been that some natural hair gurus have literally the exact same fro every week and make videos just about using different stuff on their hair when no noticeable change has been detected. My ultimate goal for my channel is to only post valuable content and I get the feeling that some girls have been phoning in their videos for a while. Aside from that, editing is key! It doesn’t have to be fancy, but at least let your own aesthetic drive the graphics. No more default title scrolls from iMovie! Also, as far as editing, there is absolutely no reason for your video to be more than 5 minutes. You can edit down and use subtitles and just explain what people have to do. People just have to get the concept, they don’t have to watch you microbraid your entire head.

Enough about bad YouTube videos. What makes a GOOD natural hair video? Can you recommend a few videos for readers, subscribers, and aspiring natural hair YouTubers to go by?

Good natural hair videos get to the point, are informative, and don’t take themselves too seriously. I love a good, simple tutorial video. Here are some of my faves:

Shameless Maya: Twist Out Tutorial

My Natural Sistas: Natural Hair Updo

Naptural85: How to Keep a Head Scarf from Slipping

Who are some of your favorite natural hair YouTube vloggers and why?

I love ShamelessMaya, Chescalocs, Naptural85, HeyFranHey, and a few others. I think they have just been in the game long enough to try to make their content fun AND informative.

We know you’re a comedian and YouTuber on the rise, but this IS Black Girl with Long Hair. So we must ask — how do you achieve the signature style you rock (it’s FAB) in all your videos? Share some of your favorite products with us! Okay, maybe just share with me. I’m the product junkie here.

Well thank you! I like my fro, even if it hates working with me. My routine is super relaxed (punintentional). I co-wash with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner and detangle in the shower. After that I just put Kinky Curly on my wet hair and let it air dry. I wear my hair like that for a few days (doing a few large twists at night to keep the length and volume and avoid tangles). I should watch more tutorials…

Any upcoming projects BGLH readers should know about?

I’m working on a lot of comedy stuff for MTV’s youtube channel, so you should go subscribe! It’s a lot of fun working here, and I think the sketches are pretty quality.

Where can we find you on social media?

I am always online! Find me!

How do you feel about “Every Natural Hair Video Ever”? Comic relief aside, do you think it has the potential to change how natural hair YouTubers will present their content? Personally, I’ve got some content and editing homework to do.….

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

Tabatha
Tabatha

So I see she is a CD promoter. How much are they paying her, lol. So silly. =)
Totally agree with the typing. Whatever. I have learned that not all products for 4a work for my hair. I have found other products for other types that seem to work better. Lol, yeah and being in cities that is no where near me. lol. Too funny. Its all in good laughter and fun.

ShayShay
ShayShay
Reply to  Tabatha

Actually, I think if she were trying to promote CD, she would do so a little more obviously, say by facing the label out towards the camera at all times… It’s not difficult.

cepfeng
cepfeng

Genius.

Uchenna

I’m looking forward to seeing what others think on this one 🙂

Phoxxie
Phoxxie

I saw the video a while ago. She’s pretty funny and right on about these videos being the same old same old. Im starting to feel the same way about these natural hair websites. I mean, some articles are pretty ridiculous.

Why you shouldnt wash your hair with just ACV. I mean really, who does that?
Molasses and pancake syrup new sealant.
Water only washing
I havent combed my hair in 10 yrs.

Like I said, its ridiculous.

Stating the obvious
Stating the obvious
Reply to  Phoxxie

The people who post the same twist out or wash and go routine every week just with a different product like we don’t know the video is sponsored and they paid them to use the stuff is ridiculous. The monthly favorite products and HAUL videos are a joke to look at me and what I got for free this month lol.

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee
Reply to  Phoxxie

@phoxxie

Dont forget the Vagisil. Oh yes.. at one point there were naturals advocating the use of vagisil to help hair grow :

This parody is hilarious and so true for many out there lol.

mscf

She forgot to also stage it in a badly lit bathroom and offer a “simple” 12-step hair care routine, complete with the same tips every natural hair vlogger tells you. And this is why I’ve avoided them for soo long.

NaturallyNeesh
NaturallyNeesh

I love this chick! she is hilarious and this vid had me weak! lol

silkynaps
silkynaps

I agree wholeheartedly with her hilarious video. I’m fortunate that mother taught me to care for my hair when I was 11 or 12, because I can sit back and look at these videos for entertainment purposes only. Don’t get me wrong, I like watching girls wash their hair in the kitchen sink as much as the next girl. However, if I actually had to rely on the videos from hair “gurus” to learn techniques for my hair, I’d probably be a bald chicken. Not bald because of the techniques, but bald because I ripped out my hair in frustration… Read more »

Roberta
Roberta
Reply to  silkynaps

are you trinidadian? i have never heard anyone who wasn’t a trini say “skin and grin” lol 🙂

Jasmine
Jasmine

I feel like she’s talking about mahogany curls since she literally has 1 hair style but uses different products and she has that part in all her videos where she just shows off her hair. I seriously couldn’t take it and unsubscribed to her do to lack of variety and too much posing

Stating the obvious
Stating the obvious
Reply to  Jasmine

I love Mahoganycurls though she is an ambassador for Shea Moisture now so I am assuming she can only use their products now so not sure how she will be able to switch it up so much lol but she did just get a hair cut that may change things. I also think naptural85 has run out of ideas when every tutorial involved curlformers for about a year and Taren Guy has no variety at all picked out fro and go

la*belle
la*belle
Reply to  Jasmine

And let’s please give Chary Jay an honourary mention.

Vonnie
Vonnie
Reply to  Jasmine

Ugh what about Nikkimae aka Natural Chica? I LOVED her and her older content but I had to leave her alone literally EVERYTHING coming from this chick now is sponsored products!

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  Jasmine

The repetitive videos are just going to get worse. I saw on a facebook comment that she will only be using Shea Moisture products now that she’s their ambassador. If she doesn’t bring some other people/hair textures in the mix, I’ll probably unsubscribe. It’s gotten to the point that I’m not learning much, and my hair doesn’t do well with shea based products.

anecine
anecine

her parody was ON POINT! especially for naptural85!

Saleka
Saleka

The biggest crime for me is the super long intro and not getting to the point. Why do we need to know the consistency of shampoo? Surely we need to know if and how it lathers. I don’t agree with the length mockery though, it just adds to that pressure of having the perfect journey and super human growth many naturals seek due to seeing edited YT journeys.

Sabi
Sabi

MahoganyCurls and Naptural are both excessive with the preening for 10+ minutes…it’s like, you guys realize you aren’t exactly that gorgeous right?…I mean damn I could understand if they were legit models but they both seem a bit into themselves, wear the same styles over and over, and MC is kinda always creepily staring into the camera with this vacant stare. :l

Mere
Mere
Reply to  Sabi

Whoa no need to hate on their looks. They’re just having fun, don’t take it so seriously.

Au
Au
Reply to  Sabi

So mean

The One
The One
Reply to  Sabi

Kind of harsh, but I agree about the creepy staring into the camera. I’ve seen lots of vloggers do that “duckface freeze frame” moment. It weirds me out.

Ellipsis
Reply to  Sabi

Girl, don’t EVER EVER talk BS about Whitney!..EVER

Lulu
Lulu
Reply to  Ellipsis

Yes you can talk crap about mahoganycurls, my newborn baby, Jesus and The Holy Spirit but NEVER eva talk bad about Whitney!

CurlyGirlLov
CurlyGirlLov
Reply to  Sabi

Why so mean about their appearances? At least they make an effort to look their best while they’re filming. Also you do realize that Naptural85’s vid average 7mins or less right? And at least all her “posing” gives great angles of the state of her hair before and after. She’s the only person I’ve been able to watch long term because she actually makes an effort to keep her vids short and super informative. Plus she mentions curlformers a lot because thats how she stretches her hair and most of her hairstyle videos require your hair to be stretched to… Read more »

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Sabi

Well, luckily for them most of their viewers feel quite the opposite. You don’t have to like everyone and you are entitled to your opinions but did you really have to throw insults? As far as Whitney, I feel like her videos are informative and practical. She demonstrates that you can do a variety of things with the same old twist outs and or curl formers etc. She is very creative and comes up with ideas and techniques that a lot of people may not have thought about and so that makes her helpful and informative to many. I think Whitney… Read more »

Andie
Andie

Good points were made in the vid. I really can’t stand the ones where the video is like 10 minutes long and like 9:30 of it is all posing and stroking their hair. If you say you’re going to do a tutorial, then a person needs to actually see how the style was achieved. I watched a “tutorial” the other day where the chick showed all these products she was going to use on her hair, but didn’t tell you in what order she was using them in. In the video, you just see her slathering random product on her… Read more »

AnaDion
AnaDion

LOL! My least favorite things are the unnecessarily long and unedited videos and long intros.

jl
jl

the best parody is the type f blue roller video. The best part was they were trying to be serious and made a joke of themselves. still cracks me up to this day on how homegirl didnt comb her hair, put in a roller in her hair, and started posing. lol
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/110924–152950.jpg[/img]

TT
TT
Reply to  jl

I can’t believe you saved a screenshot from one of those videos.

jl
jl
Reply to  TT

lol no i found it online before posting my comment

Adía
Adía
Reply to  jl

what is this from? I can’t find the video on youtube

jl
jl
Reply to  Adía

Its from tyra banks, she made a site or whatever on on natural hair and it included some of the worst tutorial videos on natural hair ever. They were so awful it seemed like a parody but it sadly wasn’t. BGLH did an article on it but the videos are gone now, it had a huge backlash and they deleted all of them only screenshots exists now. http://bglh-marketplace.com/2011/09/tyra-banks-type-f-website-pushes-bad-natural-hair-advice/

KP
KP
Reply to  jl

OH! I wish! I wish I had seen some of those vids! I’m watching people’s parodies and confused looks after they watched one of her vids. #foolishness

Darlyn
Darlyn
Reply to  jl

Chileeeee, I can write an whole essay about that picture lol!

Kan
Kan
Reply to  jl

**literally rolling on the floor** OMG, I remember these videos! I could have SWORN they were a joke. One night my sister and I watched all of the videos and we laughed for a SOLID 2 hours. I’m talking gut-busting, tears rolling down your face, I can’t breathe laughter. I remember the way she would comb AT her hair and attack it like a lion. I was like goooood LAWD baby calm down, why are you so mad at your hair??!! lolololol. Then I lost it when she would try to “spruce” up the look with a little accessory. Then after… Read more »

Aiych
Aiych
Reply to  jl

I am cackling right now, I remember those vids!! lmao

xyzebra
xyzebra

Thumbs down. I don’t like the mockery of black hair tutorials, and yes I have a good sense of humor. This is the same girl who did that wack “I’m your first black girlfriend” video on youtube. I find her irritating. A spoof should be made about wanna be comedians trying to angle their way onto SNL.

Savannah
Reply to  xyzebra

What’s a good sense of humor? I respect your opinion but I don’t think it is meant as a derogatory video or “mockery”. It’s constructive criticism that happens to be really funny when you think about it. I’m pretty sure everyone who’s watched videos like the ones she mentioned got annoyed somewhere along the line. Really, who wants to see a person flip there hair around ten times before they start a twist-out tutorial. Also, not everyone finds the same things funny… food for thought 😉

t
t
Reply to  Savannah

That’s not constructive criticism. Constructive shows you how you can improve. It’s just making fun.

Marra Joelle

I seriously loved this video! I also think it’s important to note that she never pointed out any one person so maybe let’s not be shady and name names? lol.
I feel like always notice that a vlogger’s hair always looks the same even after they do special “out” styles

Adina
Adina

OMG, yes!
Whenever I see a natural hair video going over 5 minutes, it’s usually my cue to skip it, because it just has a whole bunch of unnecessary crap.
Lol. The best videos are short, sweet, and to the point. I should have to be fast forwarding through 75% of the video just to get to the good stuff.

JenniD
JenniD

Lol this was funny. Very true a lot of it. Especially about coming on video with the same hair style over and over lol. That’s like 90% of natural hair videos. The flip side of that is those that have tried every natural hair style ever known in their first year natural and make 30 min videos about being “bored” with their hair and thinking about relaxing or flat ironing regularly for “change”. The other major annoyance is when you click on their 4c hair videos and it is 99.9% wigs and weaves. I’m like how on earth is someone… Read more »

Lauren
Lauren

What good does this do? The magical thing about Youtube is that…(wait for it)…if you don’t like someone’s video/editing/length/preening/whatever, don’t watch! I wonder if people might consider that sometimes, people follow along with longer videos that show the whole process while they are doing their own hair…like I do? And just because your fro doesn’t look different from vid to vid, it certainly may feel different or behave differently with different products. Since when does every Youtube video need to fit a certain format for it to be acceptable? And shots at people who use I movie? Everyone can’t afford… Read more »

t
t
Reply to  Lauren

I’m inclined to agree. I think the point of youtube is having the freedom to do what you want. No one is claiming, that I have heard, to be a professional or an expert in the hair or beauty industry of natural hair. If you don’t like it well.…don’t watch. Everyone is free to make there on videos. If u can make one better then by all means. So until I make one myself, I’m not commenting on how bad someone else’s is I just won’t watch it again.

lol
lol
Reply to  Lauren

She was JOKING. You also had the option of not watching her video, but you chose to. People that cant laugh at themselves a little are so sad.

nappylove

This video was funny. I hate to say this but I kinda feel BGLH is like one of those videos with some of the articles. I feel like all the hair typing and length obsession is over the top. Having been natural for over twenty years I was not into all this stuff. But when I started locking my hair I wanted to read more about it. The blogs drove me crazy. Then I cut them after seven years and the blogs about the big chop and the types seemed insane. So I just care for my short afro like… Read more »

flouncingtart
flouncingtart
Reply to  nappylove

I’m sensing a lack of empathy for girls who were forced to relax for a long time and are just discovering their natural hair. Fine, it’s old hat to you because you’ve been natural for 20+ years, but many of us haven’t. Figuring out our hair takes a lot of trial and error and it makes sense to be obsessive about it when it’s like you’re a baby learning about your toes or fingers for the first time. Perhaps we’re still “hung up” on hair, because even when we’re wearing our hair the way it naturally grows, people still make all… Read more »

Stace
Stace
Reply to  nappylove

Speaking of hair websites, you just reminded me of Urbanbushbabes webpage. I’m not even sure if the site is even about hair anymore. I loved the site when I first stumbled upon it years ago, when they showed products, talked about their regimens, did a little thrift shopping and styling, and most importunity the “bush babes” hair icons. Then suddenly the one girl got so caught up in all the hair hype about protective styling, and type 4 hair being soooo fragile, that apparently you can’t comb or wash it. What really turned me off was when she polled her… Read more »

Truth Hurts
Truth Hurts

I think the biggest thing has been that some natural hair gurus have literally the exact same fro every week and make videos just about using different stuff on their hair when no noticeable change has been detected. ”

Sound like Iknowlee.…lol

Candace
Candace
Reply to  Truth Hurts

Or Charjay…I like her but it is a new product every week..and somehow they all work.

Caray
Caray
Reply to  Candace

Yessss, Charjay hair always look the same!

Sandi
Sandi

I have noticed that the girls who are usually ‘confused’ about hair typing are the girls with the type 3 hair.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Sandi

i noticed that and yes. i call bull on that “confusion”. they’re just playin stupid but they know what’s up. anybody who can look at and analyze pictures quickly figures out where they fall, so far as that goes.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  cacey

I’m one of those confused people. Why? Well because my hair appears to be somewhat of a 4a but with 3c characteristics. Does that even make sense? This is why I am confused. If I don’t apply product, if I don’t maintain it diligently, it will frizz up into a huge tangled frizz poof ball and it will feel very dry and some areas will feel crispy and coarse, kind of like horse hair. But then when I keep up with maintenance, add enhancing products, wash it and wet it, my hair mimics the type 3 curls. Someone told me that… Read more »

Aliyah
Aliyah
Reply to  Victoria Owl

I’ll say 3c/4a I’m a 4a with some 3c my hair never behaves and it looks weird I have some loose curl parts too that acts differently than the rest of my hair . My looser curl parts can be defined easily by gel too .

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Aliyah

Yes that’s what I figured. Thanks for your input.

Vikki
Vikki
Reply to  Sandi

I don’t know…I have seen several women on Youtube with completely different textures and curl patterns, but they all claim to be the same hair type.
I think the hair typing system is pretty confusing in general.

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Vikki

Exactly!! While there are clear distinctions within certain hair textures there are others that seem to fall somewhere in the middle between 4a-3c. Where they have both s‑curls, waves as well as zigzag coily with our without natural definition, all on one head!!

Also, My sister has no curl definition. Her strands are wavy/straight but feels so thick and coarse. Her hair naturally grows out like she had a blow out and it looks the same when wet. But her strands look somewhat silky yet course? Somewhat like mahagonyknots on youtube Sighs…

Victoria Owl
Victoria Owl
Reply to  Victoria Owl

Typo: I meant zigzag *coils* with *or* without natural definition, all on one head!!

Napturally Kia
Napturally Kia
Reply to  Victoria Owl

omg victoria! your sister has my hair! i thought i was the only one!!! it grows out bush like in my crown and a few other patches!!! when i observe the hair, it doesnt have a distinct curl, coil, or wave! its very frizzy tho. its like straight afro textured hair which is very weird. thats the main reason why i dont hair type my hair.

Savannah

Here are the points I think the video was trying to get: 1. If you search for a tutorial you don’t want a lengthy rant or a product review. You didn’t click the link for hair flips and ain’t nobody got time to waste. So when you read a title claiming it’s a “tutorial”, that’s what you want to see. 2. No one said that fancy editing is necessary- all we want is a clear, concise description of a technique in reasonably good lighting. 3. With thousands of videos on the same old same old, creativity makes videos waaay more interesting. If… Read more »

doglover
doglover

This is coincidental I JUST saw this video last week, and couldn’t stop laughing my a off! This was hilarious! I think she summed it all up perfecto!

Kade
Kade

The thing I hate the most is when youtubers are showing their daily routines but use new products and then go on to say “oh I don’t normally use this products but I figured I’ll give this a try” Oh my god! You said this was ur DAILY routine! why use something different when showing us what u use daily. It just don’t make sense…

mary
mary

Now that’s funny!

Chanda
Chanda

Cool. I usually try to skip the long, drawn out videos. The ones that go on and on saying the same thing over and over about one product. Now I like the products I do/don’t like videos. Those as well as the comments below gives me some idea as to whether I should buy a product or not. I also don’t like the videos where the sound is too low and you can barely hear them. Then there’s drama queens that make too big of a deal about a product they didn’t like that goes on for almost 10 minutes.… Read more »

La Toya
La Toya

Well I agree 100% with Lauren. and our hair has always been a culture. if some of us would just do our research we would know that. it goes back all the way to Africa. Although the video may be funny it is so dumb. Let black girls do their tutorial. I have been on numerous vids where it was too long and all over the place and yet some girls or women would comment on them thanking them because their super long ranting video have helped them somehow. So to each it’s own. Everybody wants the spotlight isn’t that… Read more »

Julie
Julie

I swear people complain about everything. And I feel like the girl who made that video just made it so she can get popular.

Brittany
Brittany
Reply to  Julie

Are you referring to Akilah? Because she already had a following on Tumblr/Twitter/Youtube long before she made her Natural Hair Parody video…

AJ
AJ
Reply to  Julie

Well, yeah, that was the point of her video, for her as an entertainer to entertain. Of course, entainers get successful by becoming popular. It wasn’t actually to teach about hair, that what makes it a parody.

la*belle
la*belle

I don’t think she touched on the super annoying things like the intros that are excessively long. Apologising for not posting videos is polite. And posing, within a reasonable time limit, is not my thing, but it’s ok if you are feeling uber-pretty after your twist out AND you are trying to promote your hair/beauty/fashion channel. This video was a bit nitpicky, and not really that funny.

Deja
Deja

Lol I found this to be really funny. The first person to pop in my head was mahogany curls. I’ve notice that in the last year or two she’s been doing alllll this extra stuff in her videos, like girl I don’t care about your sultry eyes and your slow motion hair flips just show me the end results and keep it moving

Yayla
Yayla
Reply to  Deja

LOL. Your comment hit the mail on the head alright. In the last year or so I’ve been totally put off by the narcissistic self indulgence behaviour of some of these YouTubers, even sadly the much worshipped gurus. It’s been too much about “look at my wonderful life, please envy me” and less about genuine connection or info transmission. A bit like photoshopped magazine covers distorting reality, life just isn’t that perfect. I find those brave YouTubers that honestly (& more humbly) share their life reality much more genuine and inspiring and uplifting. Not the wannabe celebs basking in the… Read more »

Monica K.
Monica K.

IMHO, Akilah Hughes neither interesting nor funny and you know what, I don’t watch her videos. No one is forcing anyone to make or watch natural hair tutorials. If a vlogger’s style does mesh with yours, watch another video. What’s the point of offering “constructive criticism” when no one asked for it? My bad, this was satire. Either way, this effort seems like click bait to me.

Susie
Susie
Reply to  Monica K.

Amen @Monika

Chanel
Chanel
Reply to  Monica K.

I didn’t find this particularly funny. but i can only encourage her to continue what she is doing! other people seem to like it. Not really my kind of funny 🙂

lol
lol
Reply to  Monica K.

I find it funny that you said no one asked for her critisism and then immediately gave unsolicited critisism. Hypocrites are hilarious.

Ann janae
Ann janae

This is hilarious! So true

reese
reese

I’ll say! Good video and professional lighting is the bee’s knees! One YTuber who has a really good following… was at Essence Music Festival at the Shea Moisture event and her hair looked totally different in person(texture and curl pattern) than in the videos. In her videos, her hair looks super shiny and well conditioned but when I saw her at the Shea Moisture event her texture and shine was totally different.

Amanda
Amanda
Reply to  reese

This is why I chuckle everytime someone says “You’re glowing!” or “How do you keep your hair so shiny? It looks wet!” on a instagram photo. Proper lighting does BIG things to a picture.

LMcB
LMcB
Reply to  reese

Lol, video editing software and filters work like magic as well.

Darlyn
Darlyn

Hilarious parody lol!

Amanda
Amanda

I saw this video last week and LOVED it. She pokes fun without being disrespectful. Her entire channel is extremely entertaining, especially the video where she shows you how to wear your high heel shoes — that one highly recommended to anyone who has a love/hate relationship with them lol.

Jumoké

I think some of you are taking this post a little too seriously like why so serious? lol Yes, we have the freedom to watch what we want but if you are someone who is researching on how to take care of your hair and you stumble across all the aforementioned things, I mean could you really avoid it? I can follow whoever I want to follow on Instagram but if I someone I followed on social media did something annoying, how was I suppose to avoid seeing it and not being annoyed? lol Honestly, it kinda saddens me that… Read more »

stacy
stacy

I found her video to be tasteless and bitchy. Her humor was a bit dry in my opinion as well. I feel like she somehow wants people who do natural hair videos to help others to feel ashamed/shameful of what they are doing. We’re allowed to bask in our hair glory just like the white girls flipping their hair on the commercials. If a certain person’s way of doing their tutorials doesnt work for YOU, than YOU can keep it moving and go elsewhere. I personally don’t have a clue what I’m doing as I go natural and some of… Read more »

Anon87
Anon87
Reply to  stacy

It was a joke! She’s just exaggerating her irritation with aspects of hair videos most of us can agree with. She’s literally taking something we all notice (but aren’t THAT bothered by) and just exaggerating it for comedic effect. She’s a comedian. From the video, I don’t see any demeaning or hating behavior; it all looks light hearted and tongue in cheek.

The “hair blowing in the wind, slow motion” thing is something people have been poking fun at for years, it’s not serious. At all.

Sandy
Sandy
Reply to  stacy

wow bitter much? it’s just a joke relax. Not that serious..

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

this video is too funny although true in many respects. I hate long pauses and honestly while I love to support my fellow bloggers…15 min.…30 min videos. really? I can not.

however I think ppl who are serious about vlogging are in a learning stage. I am not a perfect vlogger but I look back at old videos and learn from them. Some of them I was even like, ‘dang that sucked.” and then deleted it

Jacky
Jacky

Hi, I just wanted to give a tip on watching long videos. Since it’s on YouTube, I usually skip the parts of the video that I don’t like and watch only the parts that seem helpful to me. You can position the video wherever you want it to be eg. If a video is for 15 minutes( 15:00 ) but the meaningful part of the video starts at 7:04, you can skip/jump to 7:04 and avoid all unnecessary previous ramblings.

Cygnet
Cygnet

Okay, hold up!!!! I haven’t finished reading the comments yet, so maybe I’m not the only one who saw this; but I just plowed through a bunch of comments that were less than favorable toward blogger Naptural85 that were all started by one person stating the opinion that Akilah Hughes, who made the parody video, was referencing Naptural85 at some point in the video. In the interview part of the post about this video, however, when Christina Patrice asks Akilah to name some of natural hair vloggers she likes, Akilah names Naptural85 as one of them. Now, I freely admit… Read more »

Guest
Guest

She missed my number one pet peeve. Buy a tripod, people, and learn how to use it! I hate when the camera is focused on the girl’s chest because it’s obviously propped up on the edge of a piece of furniture. And don’t mumble! Don’t people edit those things before they post?

Napturally Kia
Napturally Kia

hilarious!

Amber
Amber

Not that funny but very much true!

Nicole
Nicole

right…not that funny, but soooo true. On another note, i wouldn’t have made it being natural 2 years without my youtube hair vloggers!

CocoUm
CocoUm

I laughed and shook my head knowingly at this video, because it’s so true! Unless you have an attention span for days, or you have only followed one hair person on YouTube ever, you have most likely seen all of these lol she’s just poking fun, really that’s it. If you were to do the same thing but highlight different ones, you too would be justified in doing so. You don’t have to agree with her specific points, but let’s be honest… She is pretty spot on with like 85%of YouTube hair bloggers