How I Straightened My Hair Without a Heat Protectant and Didn’t Suffer Damage

Avatar • Jul 10, 2014

by Christine of Amor Artistry

christine amor natural hair straightened without heat protectant

You did what??

That’s correct! A few weeks ago for my birthday, I got my hair straightened for the first time in 4 years. I was very curious about my length and I also needed a trim very badly. I went to H2 Salon in Brooklyn. The salon looks so nice and the stylists are very friendly. I got my hair done by Dailey; she is a very experienced stylist and also worked at Hair Rules Salon. When I was told that heat protectant wasn’t going to be used on my hair, my first initial thought was to run; but that thought only lasted a second. I am a HUGE researcher. Before I go anywhere or buy anything, I look it up. Google, Yelp, Instagram- you name it, I’m on it. I picked this salon based on location, price and last but not least, reviews. The reviews were great and the pictures I’ve seen were just as good. I’m not the first client they have had, so I’m sure if they were infamous for serving out heat damage, I would have heard about it.

All about moisture!

So there I was, putting my trust and my hair in her hands, which felt weird yet great at the same time. I haven’t been to a professional in years; it felt good to finally have someone else tame my hair. As soon as Dailey began to straighten my hair, I asked her why there wasn’t any heat protectant used. The summary of the matter was that it is all about moisture, which made plenty of sense. It will not do your hair any good if it’s dry and you try to use heat on top of that. Since she is the professional, I’d rather you hear from her why there wasn’t any heat protectant being used. Below is some footage of my salon trip, and her explanation;

Now this doesn’t mean throw away your heat protectants! Heat protectants are very important and recommended, especially if you are doing it on your own. Just in case you were wondering, my hair is still in good shape. There will be an update on my channel very soon. I just wanted to shine some light and share a new experience when it comes to flat ironing natural hair. Know your hair for yourself, especially when it comes to flat ironing. Get to know how your takes to moisture and it also doesn’t hurt to see a professional. You don’t want to be the girl that “lost her curls 3 flat irons ago”.

Christine Amor is natural hair blogger from New York. With her own YouTube channel, she is very familiar to the social media side of natural hair. You can connect with her by clicking the following links below: www.youtube.com/AmorArtistrywww.instagram.com/Amorartistry

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Come On
Come On

What a lazy article. So I have to click on your channel in order to find out why? You couldn’t provide cliff notes AND promote yourself? For various reasons some people are not able to click on videos.

Lana
Lana
Reply to  Come On

You at work huh. Lol. Cliff notes: The stylist says she didnt use a heat protectant because she started the regimen by making sure the hair was well moisturized. She used a sulfate free shampoo, conditioned and then deep conditioned Christine’s hair. Then a ton of leave in conditioner was applied before the hair was blown dry, to leave the hair soft and moisturized. Then the stylist said a lot of times people get heat damage because of too much heat and/or the hair being super dry before heat is applied. She says super dry hair plus heat equals trouble. That’s pretty much… Read more »

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

I enjoyed the interview with the stylist. I would like to get some feedback from you guys on a question about this very subject of straighting the hair. My mom is 80 years old (no can believe it. Lol) and back in the day was a professional stylist. I asked her was there heat damage after pressing the hair? Did you ever find that after pressing the hair week after that the persons hair would not revert back to kinky/nappy hair? Did the ends stay straight? Her answer was, “No the hair did not stay straight. As soon as water… Read more »

Redseouls
Redseouls
Reply to  Deedeemaha

I know what you mean. I pressed (or had) my hair just about every week (after each wash) from elementary school up to the day before I graduated high school and my hair reverted every time water hit my hair (most times with moisture in the air). I haven’t flat ironed my unprocessed hair yet, so I can’t speak about that part.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  Redseouls

@Red. A friend of mine from Jamaica would press her daughters hair all the time. Her hair was down her back. When she got older she no longer wanted her mother to do it. She wanted to go to a salon to have it flat iron. At the time I had a perm so I did not think much about what her mother was complaining about. She now like her daughters hair after flat iron and not want her to go back. I thought it look great! Well I saw her daughter all grown up and married. She was asking me… Read more »

LaNeshe

I’ve heard another stylist say something similar at a seminar. In a salon environment it’s probably safer to go without a heat protectant because they can ensure your hair being properly moisturized and not over apply the heat, just because they can see your entire head.

Renee
Renee

I found this interesting to read, I always though u needed a heat protector to flat iron ur hair but I guess I was wrong. With me being a newly natural I love reading articles like this. U learn something new everyday.

Annmarie
Annmarie

H2 salon is the truth! I had my first appointment there earlier this year and have my second one coming up in a couple of weeks. I was also skeptical when there was no heat protectant used before flat ironing my hair, but my stylist said that with a good leave in conditioner, a separate heat protectant isn’t necessary. When it came to wash day, my hair sprung right back into place. It’s always a great feeling to do your research on Yelp, trust someone with your hair and have great results AND no heat damage.

indigo
indigo

although i have only straightened my hair twice in my life, i havent used heat protectants on both occasions and didnt suffer any damage. my moms like a professional lol and she made me use lots of conditioner, moistorizer etc

good luck
good luck

That comb attachment hairdryer and the way she pulled it through your hair is what scared me more than anything

Laini Deskins
Laini Deskins

I don’t understand why moisturizing is a replacement for protecting. Why wouldn’t you do both? I understand that heat damage happens with dry hair but does that mean moisturized hair doesn’t get damaged? I’m gonna stick with moisturizing and then using protectant before flat ironing. Better safe than sorry

Violet
Violet
Reply to  Laini Deskins

I think the hairdresser meant to say that using the multiple deep conditioners and the leave in conditioners will coat the hair and protect it the same way a heat protectant will. A heat protectant literally just puts a coat on the hair that will act as a buffer to stop the heat from overheating the hair shaft.

JENNID
JENNID

Wait who says the leave in she loaded up on wasn’t a heat protectant? Many leave ins are designed to be thermal protectants. For instance Neutrogena’s Triple moisture, Africa’s best shea butter leave in ad many others. I also third the ladies above who mentioned having no visible heat damage using a good old fashion hot comb and I was pretty ruthless with that thing.

Jennifer
Jennifer

As a licensed hair professional I believe this information is misleading. A “heat protectant” was in fact used. Although the stylist may not have used a product that states it is exclusively listed as a “heat protectant” there has to be some sort of buffer between the natural hair and the heated tool, period. The product used prior to blow drying and flat ironing are considered as a “heat protection” and for all general purposes a heat protectant should be used with all heated tools in addition to watching how hot the tools are and how long you leave them… Read more »

Delia
Delia

This is very good information to have. I might just go a year or two without straightening, but I like the additional deep con she does after the conditioner. In this desert heat, I’ve gotta do extra moisture 🙂

Stace
Stace

I found using a heat protectant slowed down the irons ability to straighten my hair, and that was when I was relaxed (I never had bone straight hair). I would have to run the iron over my hair more times to get it as straight as a section of hair I had not applied protectant to. Even now that I am natural it is the same thing. If anything coconut oil or jojoba oil was the only thing I could put in my hair that would not interfere with the irons ability to get it straight with one or two… Read more »

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Stace

I forgot to mention that using the flat iron was alway only on clean hair after washing and conditioning. I would never dare put heat on hair what was not just cleansed and moisturized with water. I have been saying this to people for years. I believe like this stylist, that using heat repeatedly between washes, as well as too much high heat, are to blame for damage.

andrea dames
andrea dames

I never had a problem when I used a hot-comb. It is when I used a flat iron heat damage occured

Kate @ PrimeHairTools

You have such lovely & healthy hair! I total agree with your video, it makes perfect sense.
I would not want to mess up my curl patter at all. I always use low heat and my hair still comes out amazing

Love Kate J

Suzan, UK
Suzan, UK

Interesting article. As to the use of pressing combs, my hair always reverted back even after constant use. I’ve never had may hair flat ironed so can’t comment on its effects.….

Ally
Ally

I was checking out Sistawithrealhair youtube channel and she does something similar. Her flat ironed hair is always on point! I will try not using a heat protectant the next time I remember to flat iron. I’d like to have straight hair that moves.

cece danielle
cece danielle

Nah, I’ll just use my heat protectant. Good article though.

cece danielle
cece danielle

Her hair looks nice!

Tara Taylor
Tara Taylor

I was researching whether I could have healthy looking straightened hair without using any products. I use Tyche Argan Oil heat protectant before flat ironing my hair & it gave a greasy lemp apperance to it. Same thing with this Fantasia protectant. I washed it out & just ironed my hair with nothing today. It has body & shine. They protectors made it look thinner & stiff. Can anyone suggest what else i can use that wont take away from my hair looking thick & having movement? Id like it proteted just not at the cost of being greasy cause… Read more »