7 Cute Summer Puff Styles for Short, Medium and Long Natural Hair

Avatar • Jul 5, 2014

mynaturalsistas

The “puff” is a super simple, go-to summer style for many naturals. Most of us – if not all of us – have worn it at some point in our natural hair journey. Nevertheless, sometimes the style can get a bit bland, but don’t fret. Here are some ways to spice up your puff!

1. Big Kinky Curly Puff for Short/Medium-length Natural Hair

In the above tutorial, India (from Mynaturalsistas) shows you how to get your puff to look so big and full on short or medium-length natural hair.  She starts from a defined twist out, picks out the root, and pulls out some tendrils.  Watch the video for details!

2. Pony Puff and Bang

Now, if you want to spice up your puff, check out this tutorial by Msbrightlights93.  The style is essentially a puff on top with a side-swept rolled bang.  Start from hair stretched via big braids or twists.

3. “Puff” with a Scarf

In the above tutorial, TheChicNatural starts from an old, smooshed flexi rod set, but you can just as easily start from a twist out, wash-n-go, etc.  All you will need a cute summery hair scarf and a little gel.  That’s it!

4. Mega High Puff

Ashley demonstrates how to create a mega high puff in the above video.  Like the top knot bun is to the classic bun, so is the mega high puff to the usual puff.  This is a great spin on the style.

5. High Side Puff and Pompadour

In the above tutorial, She’kia demonstrates another way to spice up your puff.  She shows you how to create her signature high side puff with a pompadour using an elastic hair band, gel, and a few bobby pins.

6. Textured Side Puff with a Flower

For this gorgeous style, SimplyCin starts from old “drab” afro, but you can recreate it on stretched hair as well.  This textured side puff requires little effort and few tools (elastic hair band, Eco Styler Gel, water, brush, and a cute flower).  The style is a great way to extend your wash day an extra day or two.

7. Simple Puff With a Twist

Watch this tutorial by xosimplyellexo if you want more of an elegant take on the style.  She demonstrates how to create a puff in back with a side flat twist along the front.  The look is very easy to do!

How are you wearing your puff this summer?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Jacky
Jacky

Nice article, thanks for posting!

MelyB
MelyB

Thank you for this post ~ I just achieved my first “nice” puff this past week after a failed wash n’ go and will definitely check out the side puff & twist/puff videos for inspiration.

anastasia
anastasia

Niiice!! Will certainly rock a few of these styles!

Adía
Adía

I like how a lot of these styles are up so that my hair isn’t making my neck hot

Mina Simone
Mina Simone

I loved my puff . But it would cause a tangled and knotted mess and when detangle and etc I felt that my hair was breaking off and my hair was also dry

Any suggestions to help combat those problems?
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/image-16.jpg[/img]

Lovely
Lovely
Reply to  Mina Simone

Maybe do a puff on rod/straw set curls, or if you use Curlformers that might help, too.

T-rey
T-rey
Reply to  Mina Simone

Deep condition your hair every few weeks. Use a good water based moisturizer and an oil to seal in the moisture. Fully detangle your hair prior to twisting. Then your hair wont knot up when you put it in a puff because it will be detangled and stretched from the twist. Finally, remoisturize on days when your hair begins to feel a little dry.

M2
M2
Reply to  Mina Simone

On wash day I would detangle with a mix of acv water leave in in smaller sections.
I would lightly moisturize n do loose big twists at night.
I would manipulate as little as possible during styling our throughout the day.
And I would keep my ends trimmed of the ssk that are inevitable in this style.
Hope it helps.

youngin girl
youngin girl

Backsyncfan(#3) always do cute hair tutorials. There’s so many fun ways to style your hair. I have one;How about a high puff with flat twists in the back or in the front? The flower accessory does make a dream come true.

breanne
breanne

Ugh. These are so cute. Too bad this Baltimore humidity won’t let my hair be cute for more than an hour.

trackback

[…] by black girl long hair […]