4‑in‑1: Natural Hair Products that Can Act as a Shampoo, Conditioner, Detangler AND Leave-in!

Avatar • Jul 23, 2014

4-in-1 products

How many of you own more than a couple of shampoos, rinse-out conditioners, deep conditioners, detangling conditioners, leave-ins, etc.?  Come on, raise your hands. Now imagine having one product that does it all! While I have yet to find that one to replace ALL of my products, these four come close and are worth considering:

1. NATURALICIOUS Moroccan Rhassoul Clay 5‑in‑1 (Kinky/Coily Edition)

naturalicious_moroccan

WHAT IT IS:
— detoxifying cleanser
— smoothing conditioner
— detangler
— deep conditioner
— and leave-in conditioner in one.

WHY NATURALICIOUS?
Naturals who use this product seem to love it! No, really … LOVE it! They rave about its effectiveness as a multi-use product. I think I may want to try this as well, especially after reading an impression by DiscoveringNatural (a natural hair vlogger worth checking out).

WHAT IS IN IT?
The ingredients in this 5‑in‑1 product include rhassoul clay, water, aloe vera juice, glycerin, cocoa seed butter, olive oil, grapeseed oil and avocado oil.

2. Oyin Handmade “The Juices” Nourishing Herbal Leave-In

oyin juices and berries

WHAT IT IS:
— curl/coil refresher
— leave-in conditioner
— detangler
— and moisturizer in one.

WHY OYIN?
Trust me when I say that this product is not your average “water and stuff” in a spray bottle.  It has amazing ingredients and really IS a 4‑in‑1 miracle from my personal experience with my niece’s coils.  (We like the “Frank Juice” version.)  Reviews from many other naturals concur, raving about the great softness, slip, and moisture that it leaves!

WHAT IS IN IT?
The main ingredients include an aqueous infusion of shavegrass leaf, lavender buds, nettle leaf, chamomile flower, rose petals, flax seeds, aloe vera juice, and more.

3. SheaMoisture African Black Soap Purification Masque

sheamoisture purification masque

WHAT IT IS:
— purifying cleanser
— conditioner
— deep conditioner
— and scalp treatment in one.

WHY SHEAMOISTURE?
Some naturals call this their “holy grail” product and even comment on the slip.  It conditions the hair but also purifies it while addressing itchy scalp issues, such as dandruff and eczema.  Need I say more?

WHAT IS IN IT?
This masque contains water, coconut oil, shea butter, avocado oil, African black soap extract, sea salt, kaolin clay, and salicylic acid amongst its major ingredients.

4. Hair One Olive Oil Cleansing Conditioner for Dry Hair

hair one olive oil cleanser

WHAT IT IS:
— detoxifying cleanser
— conditioner
— detangler
— deep conditioner
— and leave-in in one.

WHY HAIR ONE?
If you like Wen but don’t like the price, you might want to consider Hair One if you have not yet.  I actually tried this Olive Oil version some years back and enjoyed it (before I went on my “no cones” phase). Today, naturals are still loving this product, especially since it compares to Wen but for much cheaper.

WHAT IS IN IT?
The main ingredients in this product are water, some fatty alcohols (not to be confused with drying alcohols), glycerin, amodimethicone, olive oil, and sweet almond oil.

Have you tried any multi-purpose hair care products? Share below!

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

KP
KP

I saw DiscoveringNatural’s review of the product. She seemed to like it, as it worked for her hair. I think I would try it out someday. Not so sure about using it as a leave-in conditioner. Seems like you’d want to wash it out due to the clay.

Gwen Jimmere
Reply to  KP

Wow! First, thank so much, Chinwe, for featuring NATURALICIOUS in this great article. We had no idea until we started getting a ton of emails from our customers letting us know. Thanks so much!! KP, just to clarify, the NATURALICIOUS Moroccan Rhassoul 5‑in‑1 Clay Treatment does the work of a leave in. You don’t actually leave it in. This is how you use the product: wet your hair, put the product in, massage through, detangle and rinse out. In doing so, you will have washed, conditioned, deep conditioned and detangled, all while doing the work of a leave in. One shot… Read more »

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  Gwen Jimmere

I was gonna say — how can you leave clay in your hair. I’d love to try this product as I’m a great fan of rhassoul.

Miss Gina Ray
Miss Gina Ray

That Shea Moisture stuff did nothing for me. I love the Juices but they just provide moisture for me. They’re slightly sticky and probably couldn’t detangle my hair. As I Am CoWash is a great multitasking product for me. It cleans and detangles 4c like a dream. It’s not very accessible where I am though.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty

I’ve tried all but the clay. I recently discovered Juices and Berries and just love it!

BUT nothing gets me all excited like the SM Purification Mask lol. I posted a video on my YT channel not too long ago about how I use it to prepoo and detox my scalp. That’s a true staple for me. I went to a local store in a “white” neighborhood that had them on clearance for $5…I cleaned them out.

NewlyNatural
NewlyNatural

I second the shea moisture purification masque. I use it as a pre-poo, scalp treatment, detangler and deep conditioner. It’s amazing.

Trisha
Trisha

RenPure Coconut Cream conditioner is never talked about online, but I use it successfully as a 4‑in‑1. It’s great under gel for a wash and go, also affordable at $5.99 for 16oz. Harmon Stores has a generic version in 20oz that’s just as good as the RenPure version for the same price. Good stuff!

Mrs. DeCuire
Mrs. DeCuire
Reply to  Trisha

I use RenPure too! They can miss me hard with the conditioner (the slip sucks) but it does really define my hair. Now the shampoo is amazing for me and I will continue to buy it. I’m just starting to get back to washing my hair weekly or bi-weekly (previously I waited about a month or so) and it has really helped to get my scalp clean and even provided some shine. I like the original renpure line the orange and red bottles but the new line is a miss for me.

merry
merry

Clay cleansers and conditioners are too easy to make for me to buy them.

zimzam
zimzam
Reply to  merry

Recipe please! 😀

cepfeng
cepfeng

When they say ‘purifying’ what does that actually mean in regards to hair?

merry
merry
Reply to  cepfeng

Pull out the dirt, product, etc from the hair. Deep cleansing.

My Baby Girls Curls

That Naturalicious 5‑n-1 is EVERYTHING!!!! I love using it on my daughter’s type 4 hair, when I say it cuts your wash day in half…it really does, it does a superb job at detangling, cleansing and moisturizing. I purchased just the clay and then decided to go for the hair box…literally you only need what’s in the box and nothing more but I prefer the clay over everything else. I’m on my second bottle. Its really good stuff, it does it all but as for using it as a leave in, I believe she (Gwen-the owner) just means that product… Read more »

Darlyn
Darlyn

Oyin Handmade’s The Juices is wonderful!

Miss G
Miss G

The SM Purification Masque acts as an excellent leave-in as well. Mixed it up with some water,olive oil, castor oil and coconut oil. Great stuff!

Mrs. DeCuire
Mrs. DeCuire

I really loved the SheaMoisture Purification mask and it still smells amazing. It’s probably been 2 years since I used it and so I decided one day to go in and get me a jar for I believe would be $10…they had marked it up to $12.99 but the size didn’t get ANY bigger…so I opted out and pick up the benzonite clay which literally lasted me 3 years before and was only $7 (also picked up a essential oil) and made my own dag-on purification mask. It’s never that serious.…that little jar of sheamoisture product last me for 2… Read more »

Mrs. Watson
Mrs. Watson

Juices and Berries was my mainstay when I first started wearing my natural hair loose (I wore locs for several years). It’s perfect for moisture but I hate it when I can’t just go grab something from the store. I heard Oyin products are in Target so I’ll check it out. I might need to put it back in rotation for mid-week moisturizing. As far as the SM Purfication Masque…! Woooo now that product literally handles the business. It cleanses AND conditions all in one step. Upon rinsing my hair felt heavy and moisturized. It didn’t feel squeaky clean but… Read more »

thelady
thelady

I love Shea moisture purification masque, it cleanses, conditions and detangles in one step. The only down side is that it becomes drying if I use it on a weekly basis. Probably because of the Salicylic Acid. So I just use it once a month to clarify.

Napturally Kia
Napturally Kia

def wouldnt recommend putting SM purifying mask in your head as a leave-in. that stuff has clay in it. the label even tells you not to leave it in over a certain amount of time. sometimes, it’s best (and the wisest thing) to follow a manufacturers label.