10 Celebrities Who Look Better With Natural Hair

Avatar • Jul 18, 2014

by Ijeoma of KlassyKinks

I’m a firm believer that natural hair IS for everybody. The hair that grows out of your scalp is meant for you! However, there are some people (myself included) whose natural hair looks so much better on them than straight hair. Sometimes those people happen to be famous, so here are a few celebrities whose looks were revolutionized once they went natural.

1. Viola Davis

Viola Davis straight curly natural hair

Viola Davis wowed us all when she stepped out onto the 2012 Academy Awards red carpet with a colored TWA, making her to talk of the show, despite not taking home an award. Although she occasionally wears a wig, her natural hair makes her look young and refreshed, especially in her October 2013 Essence Magazine cover.

2. Jill Scott

Jill Scott straight curly natural hair TWA

Jilly came onto the scene rocking curls when they weren’t even in style, but over the past few years she’s experimented with straight hair off and on. While this pixie cut is still beautiful, I can’t help but identify more with the natural Jill, whether she is rocking a fade or a voluminous look with the help of her stylist, Felicia Leatherwood.

3. Uzo Aduba

uzo aduba straight curly natural hair

Admittedly, I didn’t realize that Uzo’s textured looks on the red carpet were weaves until she undid her bantu knots in Season 2 of Orange is the New Black. She’s stepped out with straight looks a few times, but I personally think the coils and marley infused updos are more distinctive for Uzo’s big personality.

4. Kimberly Elise

kimberly elise straight curly natural hair

I’ve loved Kimberly Elise ever since Woman Thou art Loosed and Diary of a Mad Black Woman, and she has recently been wearing her natural hair on interviews, the red carpet and on the set of her new tv show Hit the Floor. Considering that I’ve been told more than I few times that I favor the actress, I’m going to vote that she looks better with her kinky hair!

5. Nicole Ari Parker

Nicole Ari Parker straight curly fro TWA natural hair

A surprising addition, but Nicole Ari Parker has demonstrated with both her short, natural cut and her natural protective styles that she’s even more beautiful with natural hair! Now if she could just tell us the secret to finding and keeping our own Boris…

6. Brandy Norwood

Brandy Norwood straight natural curly hair

Brandy has always been one of those people whose lacefronts betray them, so it’s refreshing that she’s started to wear more afro and natural hair styles that are reminiscent of her Moesha braids. This time around she’s opting for larger box braids and marley twists to give her edges a much needed break!

7. Solange Knowles

solange straight curly fro natural hair

For a lot of people, Solange put herself on the map when she cut her hair almost completely off several years ago. Ever since, she’s been the natural hair icon of many a natural and has managed to sustain a fabulous, realistic looking wig game that I’m envious of. Most recently at the Met Gala, Solo brought back a straight wig which would have gotten more attention if not for elevator-gate. Hopefully she’ll use that night as a sign to keep her hair big and kinky!

8. Marsha Ambrosius

Marsha Ambrosius straight curly natural hair

Marsha is another one of those examples that makes you want to smack somebody for even suggesting that she straighten her hair. Big and powerful, Marsha’s hair has a voice of its own! Not only does she wear her hair big and curly, Marsha has also gotten involved in natural hair events in the past – including a launch event with Dark and Lovely.

9. Raven Symone

raven symone straight curly natural hair fro

Raven also recently revealed a natural look late last year – along with great weight loss – that makes her look more at peace with herself. While natural hair makes some people look younger, it somehow makes Raven look more mature and settled.

10. Chrisette Michele

Chrisette Michele straight curly natural hair TWA

I can’t begin to explain how basic Chrisette Michele’s look was until she cut and dyed her hair. Even though her first album was a mega hit, Chrisette’s edgy style has definitely catapulted her voice into the limelight. Whether accessorized with tattoos or piercings, this low fade is now Chrisette’s signature look.

*Michelle Obama

MichelleObamaNaturalHair

So this photo has been floating around the internet for some time, but I’m so here for it! Someone borrowed Mae/Natural Chica’s twistout and put it on our First Lady’s head, and she looks so fierce! I know she must have seen it by now but I guess she’s doesn’t need to be on that #fourhourtwistsession struggle that has given naturals cut arms – considering Lady O already has some of the most talked about arms in the country..

Do you think more celebrities would look better with natural hair? Do any of these ladies look better with their straight hair?

KlassyKinks.com founder and editor, Ijeoma Eboh, is on a mission to change perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world.

About Klassy Kinks

KlassyKinks.com founder and editor, Ijeoma Eboh, is on a mission to change perceptions of kinky textured hair around the world. You can find her on social media @klassykinks.

tapiwa
tapiwa

like it.

aaliyah
aaliyah

Chrisette mitchelle is da bomb! Jill scott looks soo refreshing.…

Rae
Rae

There could not have been a worse title for this article. All of these women are beautiful regardless of what their hair looks like. That statement is just as ignorant and offensive as someone telling a natural she looks better with straight hair. We’d have a fit. The natural hair community is getting more and more petty every single day. Texture discrimination, too light/dark enough, hair not kinky enough (those last two are in reference to some natural’s opinion of the new character Tip in the animated movie Home. This title just creates more discrimination where it’s not needed.

Iva
Iva
Reply to  Rae

But the author didn’t say they weren’t beautiful with straight hair but that they looked better (to her). Which is an opinion. I’m not sure how that is discrimination.

I can freely say that save for one hairstyle throughout my life (a fabulous pixie) my natural hair looks better on me than straight relaxed hair. That’s my opinion, someone else may disagree. Some of the ladies in the pictures above may disagree but it’s still just an opinion and, to me, nowhere on the same level as some of the other things you mention and certainly not discrimination.

good luck
good luck
Reply to  Rae

I agree I was side eyeing that look better comment before I clicked on it like what now most of this was weave or wig vs their natural hair so they are just natural who rock weaves sometimes big deal

RB
RB
Reply to  Rae

The title is not creating more discrimination. The title is simply stating an opinion. An opinion actually brave enough to step over the abyss of political correctness. Listen, I understand there is texture discrimination, a persistent light/dark binary amongst us, but our discourse HAS to be honest if we ever expect to get anywhere in resolving these issues. It is not resolved by subscribing to the idea that no one can be offended. That just leads us to the self-censorship-run-amok we now find ourselves in. I also find the “hiss hiss” comments here puzzling given the absolute absence of malice… Read more »

merry
merry
Reply to  Rae

Most black women look better with their natural hair. I don’t know if it’s the confidence they get from wearing, but many do look better. Get over it. I hate that naturals are chastised for having an opinion or POV of straight hair. And, BTW, it’s not petty to possess or express that opinion. So what if I think weave looks like crap on most black women. So what if I think black women should not wear weave. So what. There are far more judgments directed toward natural hair than the reverse. We don’t all have to be down with it.… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  Rae

Wow petty, wrong vibe? You took a playful fun article and took it way too deep. Saying a woman looks better with what she was born with is taboo and divisive? I think this is an over reaction. Also just because someone posts and article within the natural hair community doesn’t mean that their opinion represents the group as a whole. Must everything spark an argument for debate these days? I think all black women look better sans wigs, weaves, and straight hair unless it is what they were born with naturally. Saying that the other way around would be… Read more »

Leighton
Leighton
Reply to  Rae

Agreed.…the tittle alone is such a deterrence.

juanicole617
juanicole617

This was so cool to see. Viola looks sooo much better with natural hair. Beyonce has worn natural looks in the past and I think she looks better with textured hair. I’d love to see Gabrielle Union wearing her natural hair.
I think most people would look better because it’s their natural hair that grows from their head. This should be the norm and straight should be risqué but unfortunately it is the opposite.

claudene
claudene

Absolutely gorgeous.

del
del

To me, they all look better natural, but Viola??? Her natural hair does WONDERS for her.

Amanda
Amanda

It’s amazing how much younger some of these women look with their natural hair. I’m not sure if it’s the length, texture, or both, but it’s beautiful! I really love Viola Davis’ look on the Essence cover.

mscf

I liked a lot of them in all of their styles. But I will say the straight (permed) looks were a little…‘meh.’

Jj
Jj

Honestly, who cares? I feel like this article is a little petty. Almost the same as saying, “Wow, your hair looks so much better straight.” But not in a nice way…in more of an insulting way. However someone chooses to wear their hair is their choice. Whether it be permed or natural. Maybe I just got the wrong vibe… *shrugs*

Chanda
Chanda
Reply to  Jj

I agree. It was probably their attempt to side with some naturals because we know some are still sensitive when it comes to straightened hair. I don’t understand the divide, we should be past that. And just because someone wears their hair straight doesn’t mean it’s relaxed. I sometimes straighten my hair but never a relaxer. To each her own. Life goes on.

ganaisha
ganaisha

Won’t pretty much everyone look better with natural hair? Natural hair is beautiful.

merry
merry
Reply to  ganaisha

Yes, but evidently there are lots of people, even those on this site, who don’t want black women to know that. So sad when u can’t even elevate what is naturally yours.

...
...

In some of these picks it’s not there natural hair it’s weave, and Mrs. Obama that hair was photo shopped on. The title is misleading.

Should be what some celebrities would look like if they went natural.

RedPaperLantern
RedPaperLantern

Maybe it has to do with enhanced confidence that comes with being your natural self while wearing your hair *Napturally , I don’t know, but they seem to “glow” naturally, if I am honest. In regard to the First Lady O picture, well one can hope that she has seen it by now. If she were to go *Naptural, assuming that she isn’t already and just flat irons/blow dries her hair, it would be beautiful. The photoshopped picture clearly shows that. By the way, the photo for Viola shows the most dramatic “change.” *(don’t want to get people confused on what… Read more »

Puff

When I clicked to go to this article through the email I got, it made me go to some sort of “adult finder”. Yikes! Might want to check on that and why that happened. It was fun seeing the photos of who now embraces natural hair but I agree with some of the comments above about the title. Women are already too scrutinized for our looks why contribute to that? Seems counter productive to the concept of wearing natural hair which is feeling free to be yourself and not feeling pressured to hold to a standard of beauty. I also… Read more »

Bumper1959
Bumper1959
Reply to  Puff

It also directed me to an ‘adult finder’ at first — thought it was just me. Definitely something wrong with the link!

Redseouls
Redseouls
Reply to  Puff

When I clicked to go to this article through the email I got, it made me go to some sort of “adult finder”. Yikes! Might want to check on that and why that happened.”

That has happened to me too and I want it to stop!!!

Q
Q

The basic comment about Chrisette was rude.

Darlyn
Darlyn

I would love to see Mary J. Blige wear their hair natural. I do not think that the author had any intentions of being negative.

Iva
Iva

There is something about the natural hair on all these women that just seems to act like a facelift. It literally lifts the feature. Maybe it’s the volume but I think they all look better with the natural styles. They were all lovely before but something about the natural styles just seems to take years off of them. Brandy looks 15 in that second photo.

Beatrix
Beatrix

I think they look great either way.

crystalc
crystalc

Raven looks more mature and settled?!!! lol She do but I rather look younger.

Tisha
Tisha

I think this came from a good place but I don’t think where there yet. I dream of the day when a Black women’s decision on how to wear her hair IS simply a matter of what Best suit’s Her Face! And Not tied with all this other STUFF! Frankly some women that are Natural would look better with hair that “hung” and framed there face that way. Also the opposite is true. I would like a day to come where through OUR ingenuity Black women can SAFELY (no caustic relaxer burns, no flatiron damage) CHOOSE to STYLE HER HAIR… Read more »

donalda
donalda
Reply to  Tisha

I hear you, but put the blame where it belongs: on a white supremacist culture that has been telling us for 400+ years that we are ugly and everything about us is inferior: hair texture, skin color, thick features, thick bodies. THAT’S where all the “stuff” comes from. And frankly, that is why I refuse, to wear the white man’s hair texture and styles. I personally came to feel that every time I went in to get my hair relaxed that I was confirming what THEY think of me, of US, and that I was confirming that white women are the beauty standard… Read more »

Elle
Elle

10 celebrities Who Look SENSATIONAL With Natural Hair”

The photos celebrating natural looks are great, but like others, I found the title condescending and mean-spirited.

silkynaps
silkynaps

I think (almost) everyone looks better in a natural state than they do in an artificial state. Chemically processed hair is usually thinner and drier and sadder than natural hair. Color treated hair is more often than not is NOT as complementary to a person’s complexion as is their natural hair color. Even a “beat face” only serves to add 10 years (or more) to your face. Don’t even get me started on surgical procedures… Of course, there are exceptions to the rule…tragic eyebrows might need some plucking, medical issues might require cosmetic remedies, etc. etc. and a cashmere sweater.… Read more »

Knotty Natural
Reply to  silkynaps

Your comment is interesting because many “studies” have shown that in 50 years most people will look like Lolo Jones…I believe they will be darker.

cinn
cinn

Chrisette Michele is my natural hair icon! Seriously, her hair always looks great, healthy, full and easy/breezy. I like her hair more then I like her music and her music is pretty great.

Indigo
Indigo

I honestly think this was not worth writing about. It’s extremely rude and hypocritical. Black women are beautiful for many reasons, one of them being how diverse and versatile we are. The same way it’s wrong to tell someone they look better with straight hair or weave, it’s wrong to say that someone looks better natural. It’s rude to put yourself in a position to talk about what is better or worse for someone as far as them choosing how they look. Especially if they didn’t ask. Also, just because someone is wearing a straight hairstyle, whether it’s a wig,… Read more »

Nyeira
Nyeira
Reply to  Indigo

That’s kind of exactly what that means…if you have a wig on, a weave in, or processed hair it’s not in it’s natural state. I think the point of the article was to promote natural hair, loving yourself as you actually look before you experiment with your hair. I think a lot of women mistake being pro natural as being against everything else. That’s not always the case. You missed the point of the article not that you’re wrong about the whole “we’re versatile and we should celebrate that” point. How exactly is it wrong for her to voice her… Read more »

Indigo
Indigo
Reply to  Nyeira

My hair is completely natural and flourishing but I wear wigs and extensions over my protective styles sometimes. Also, as we’ve seen many times on this site, naturals straighten their hair with heat but their hair is still chemical free and reverts at the end of the day. Natural. Anyway, the point is, none of these women asked her if she liked their hair. It’s not her business to use better or worse as a qualifier to people’s hair. Everyone has an opinion on what black women should do with their hair and it’s annoying. This article wasn’t as positive… Read more »

Simmi
Simmi
Reply to  Indigo

Look again at Kimberely Elise in that straight wig VS natural hair and see if you still stand by that statement. Her features stand out for all the wrong reasons with straight hair whereas she looks lovely natural and everything fits. At some point we need to be honest and say that weave wearing is based on convenience and/or certain insecurities surrounding our hair. Celebs want to fit in with the mainstream Hollywood aesthetic, the same aesthetic we are all subject to I.e European. The natural hair movement is important whether those who are pro weave admit it or not.… Read more »

MelyB
MelyB
Reply to  Simmi

@Simmi ~ so true about Kimberly Elise. Years ago she was on a show cast as an attorney and I could not get past the bad wigs/weaves they had on her head. I don’t have anything against wigs or weaves, just as long as they’re good ones, placed properly so that I can’t tell they’re fake. All of the women above look great wearing their natural hair and some look great with both styles.

Love
Love

Nicole Ari Parker looks so gorgeous w her natural !

temera
temera

A more appropriate title could’ve been “Women We Love to See w/ Their Natural Hair”

t
t

All these women look really pretty both with natural hair and relaxed. I like both and envy the versitiliy.

rlw
rlw

To be honest these ladies look beautiful both ways… they could wear baldies and still be beautiful! !!!!

not_naya
not_naya

I enjoyed the Boris comment lol

Bhamanon
Bhamanon

Seriously, I don’t understand why so many people have an issue with the title of this article. Are they just looking for something to be upset about? Hair is just like anything else we use to enhance appearance, makeup, earrings, certain clothes, some things look better on us than others. The author was just saying she thinks certain styles look better than others on these particular women. If you don’t agree, that’s fine, but why get angry about it?. I doubt that any of the celebs will lose any sleep because of what any of us think.

Exceptions
Exceptions

Exceptions to the title

Jill Scott looks best with the short relax and Brandy will always look better with braids extensions. She is the braid queen!!!

K
K

I do have a problem with this title. If they tables were turned and the title was “10 celebrities who look better with relaxed hair” there would be an uproar. Who are we to comment what’s better or worse–there should be no hierarchy with hair. We also have no idea why these folks chose the natural route. I don’t think we need to be placing them on a pedestal. We can acknowledge how nice their hair looks but I think that’s where it needs to end. Yes, they look lovely but I also see nothing wrong with their relaxed looks… Read more »

donalda
donalda
Reply to  K

It’s only an insult (the title) if you think something is the matter with the natural hair texture of women of African descent.

Iva
Iva

I’m really not understanding some of these comments.

It’s a natural hair site for natural hair. If it won’t celebrate the beauty and superiority of natural hair, who will?

(yes, superiority. Anytime you are comfortable in your skin, features, HAIR and don’t require any massive external validation or transformation to feel “better” than that is a superior state of being.)

Adía
Adía

I don’t think this article is rude at all. Some hair styles look better on people than other styles. Marsha Ambrosius, Viola Davis, and Solange Knowles look better with natural hair. But Uzo Aduba, Nicole Ari Parker, and Jill Scott all look good with all forms.

youngin girl
youngin girl

I like it. Michelle Chrisette wowed me with her twa and blonde dye a few years ago. She rocks it and it fits her face shape. Nicole Ari Parker looks fresher with her twa as well. There’s no denying that Michelle Obama’s twist out brings shine. She’s always shining, what am I saying? Viola Davis is flawless and rich in skin with her coily twa. I like that 3rd Juxtapose of Kimberly Elise with the bangs in the front.

thesatan
thesatan

No one seems to be paying attention to the Cosby girl…I guess because she doesn’t have a nose job.

thesatan
thesatan

I hate Jill Scott.

Saniel
Saniel

Great however never seen Brady’s natural hair all, wigs, weaves natural and braid extensions. America is not ready for a natural Mrs. Obama she will have to wait till she is out the white house

Sasha
Sasha

Tia and Tamera also look great natural.

Dana
Dana

I kinda understand why some people have an issue with the title, but it’s really not a big deal. I don’t find it to be offensive. That’s like me getting offended when someone tells me I look prettier without makeup lol. It’s a compliment, not an insult. I have yet to see a woman who doesn’t look better with natural hair. But that’s just me…

Marine
Marine

I think that all of the black women look better with the natural hair. Whilst straight hair is a good change once in a while it just doesn’t compliment your facial feature as well as natural hair. I think that sometimes it makes your black feature fade away a little,too.

Everybody has a choice of course, but I think it’s always the best to showcase your natural beauty.

Tearra
Tearra
Reply to  Marine

I have to agree with you. Every since I’ve gone natural and did the big chop my face actually looks slimmer with my new natural do than it did when I was rocking my longer straight hair.

Mia
Mia

I love natural hair! All types! ????

Andrea Taylor
Andrea Taylor

I’m a huge Brandy fan. I was so excited to see photos of her with her natural hair. I think that if Beyonce went natual and gave up the wigs more women would go natural. She’s a big influence on a lot of women.

donalda
donalda
Reply to  Andrea Taylor
Daughter
Daughter

What black woman DOESN’T look better with their natural hair?!!

Jordan
Jordan

I think it’s kind of rude to say someone looks “better” with natural hair. If it were reversed everyone would be up in arms. Some, I must agree with like Viola (but I think it’s because that’s a bad photo/wig) & Marsha because her hair is damaged but Nicole looks FAB with straight hair and so does Jill Scott, Raven, etc. They look great both ways, totally different looks which is the best part of hair anyway.

Indigo
Indigo
Reply to  Jordan

Another thing is a lot of these pictures show the women wearing extensions (FAKE hair) but its just in a kinky/curly texture. Like Brandy. Just because she has twists or an afro, it doenst mean shes natural. that’s not her real hair. Jill, Uzo, Nicole, Brandy and Solange are all shown wearing hair that isnt theirs, lol. I just don’t understand the logic behind this. These women look great, they’re beautiful with all of these hairstyles. But this definition of natural doesn’t really make sense to me. You cant always tell if someone is natural or not just by looking at… Read more »

Jerri
Jerri
Reply to  Indigo

Indigo you are right. But honestly people picking kinky hair extensions over silky straight ones is a big improvement. They see the beauty in kinky hair enough to sew it in their heads. LOL. I wish more women who wear extensions choose kinky or curly hair vs straight or wavy! It looks far moe natural that way.

donalda
donalda
Reply to  Indigo

I feel as if you (and others) continually confuse “natural” with a hairdo, when what we’re really talking about is someone’s natural texture of hair — not rather it is a weave or not. Imho, all women of African descent look more becoming with their natural hair texture as opposed to having their hair bone straight through relaxers or European and/or Asian weave. The vast majority of us were not born with bone straight tresses and we have to go to extraordinary and often harmful lengths (pun intended) to get it that way. I straightened for years and eventually finally… Read more »

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Jordan

Real talk. I have always said that Jill Scott is a freak of nature. She looks great with natural or straight hair at whatever her body size is (heavier or with weight loss). She’s just beautiful no matter what. Even with blond hair (on her Essence cover) and I never thought I’d say that! lol.

toystar
toystar
Reply to  Jordan

I totally agree with you, my phone thumbs down your comment in error. A lot of them do look good either way like Chrisette michele and jill scott, Viola typically wears bad wigs so that natural pic of her is better than her wig looks and the pic they used of raven… there’s better raven pics out there with straight hair.

Bella55
Bella55
Reply to  Jordan

Rude? Really? Wow… I completely get where she’s coming from.. You’re totally missing the message.. of the whole …natural looks better on them… point of view.. I look good with straight hair too.. but I personally prefer my natural hair to straight/blow outs. I very rarely straighten my natural hair. Probably only 4xs in 4 years.. While I might look good with straight hair.. I look better with my curly hair..I find that true of others… when I compare the visuals..but hey.. to each his or her own.. I think we all look better with our natural hair styled to… Read more »

elsa
elsa

wow They all look way better with natural hair !

Tanya

I thought for sure Janelle Monae would be here.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/janelle-monae-curls-bonnaroo-hypehair-325x514.png[/img]

Rinny
Reply to  Tanya

Janelle Monae rocks her natural hair 25–8. It’s very rare that she even straightens it. Usually, it’s in her infamous pompadour.

shine
shine

I understand that many don’t think a ‘press out/blow out’ of one’s hair is ‘natural’ but a few of these ladies have ‘natural’ hair pressed straight! Sometimes it’s about changing the look or the hair routine.….…

Kokopops
Kokopops
Reply to  shine

Absolutely agree with you. Your hair is still natural but you’ve just changed the look you have not altered the composition of your hair. The fact that you can reverse a blow out hairstyle back to it’s natural state by simply wetting your hair surely means that it is natural.