Weird Science: Woman Replaces Shampoo With Bacteria Solution to Surprising Results!

Avatar • Jun 1, 2014

bacteria

During my freshman year of college, the boyfriend of one of my friends declared that bathing was overrated. Well, based on the way our living area smelled after he departed, I was sure that bathing was in fact a necessity. Last week, I thought of that young man when I came across an article in the New York Times entitled: “My No-Soap, No-Shampoo, Bacteria-Rich Hygiene Experiment” by Julia Scott. In the article, the author discusses a shampoo-free, soap free regimen and examines the scientific reasons for experimenting with an unconventional regimen.

Okay, so before you turn up your nose at the thought of throwing out your soap and shampoo here is some background on the author’s regimen::

Ms. Scott used a product called AO Biome developed by a company that promoted the use of “good” bacteria to help maintain a “clean dirty” lifestyle. She then covered her skin in the solution comprised of bacteria. She rinsed 3 minutes each morning but did not use any hygiene products, such as soap or shampoo.

So, what did she discover?

• During the first week of the experiment, Ms. Scott found that her body odor wasn’t as bad as she expected. However, by week two her friends told her that she began to smell faintly of onions and marijuana.  Yes, marijuana. Also, her oily hair made it necessary for her sleep with a towel on her pillow.
  • After visiting the gym, something interesting happened. She sprayed the  AO Biome solution on her skin and began to smell better.  She also found that over time her skin began to improve considerably. By the end of the experiment, she was even reluctant to return to her traditional routine due to some of these positive effects of the experiment.
    I admit that I was a bit turned off by the idea of giving up my hygiene routine. Some of the commenters raised questions regarding the possible spread of germs if soap was no longer used to wash hands. Questions were also raised as to how the author maintained her freshness down “there”.  Yet, once her body adapted to the bacteria she sprayed on her skin the odor diminished.

While the AO Biome regimen is still in the experimental stage, researchers say it shows promising signs.  Personally, I enjoy a shower, not only for the hygienic aspect but also the relaxation it provides.

So, would you join the bacteria rich regimen bandwagon if it helped to improve your skin and hair?

KP
    KP

That is quite an interesting experiment. It’s always neat to learn that things like this are possible. Surely, out of the ordinary. I think I’m with you, though. I enjoy showers for their refreshing sensation, too.

Deedeemaha
    Deedeemaha

It stinks just reading this article. Lol

Aree
    Aree

I am fully aware of good bacteria and bad bacteria, but my answer is still NO…

JenniD
    JenniD

Good article. Unfortunately social norms somewhat dictate how much hygiene or less a person can get by with. The Today show had a dermatologist on the show many years ago telling people not to take daily showers and to instead “wash up” focusing on the body parts that omit the most odor and bacteria( neither regions and under arms) while leaving he rest of your skin alone allowing time for your natural oils to return. I think that would be more sound advice for most people than skipping bathing all together. I don’t think its harmful or weird to do… Read more »

angie
    angie
    Reply to  JenniD

agree with ya, its the same of idea of skipping shampoo and just cowashing with conditionar. But yes, the social norms would never allow otherwise.…

momofIV
    momofIV

Probiotics are awesome, inside the body and on the skin

D
    D

Interesting, but no.
    Just… no.

Jas
    Jas

U lost me at onions… Hell freaking no!!!!

Dee*
    Dee*
    Reply to  Jas

HAAAAA!!!!

Treacle
    Treacle
    Reply to  Jas

LOL. Your comment literally made me LOL! ..Oh dear!

Jo
    Jo

I’d try it as an experiment, if I were being paid. Well paid.
    🙂

Otherwise, I would not want to offend my classmates, coworkers and other people I work around with the stench mentioned in the beginning portion of the experiment.
    I’m also a bit eco-conscious and a pet owner, so I also wonder if this bacteria, when washed down the drain or in soil, is eco-friendly AND if it’s safe for non human critters (pets).

Speaking of which, I also wonder if this is safe for use around pregnant women or infants.

=/

April
    April
    Reply to  Jo

True that. Who isn’t this safe for??? It does sound interesting but I don’t want to go through that you smell like something unpleasant phase at all. What we eat comes out through our pores, our waste and we smell the way we do because of what we consume and put on our bodies too. I’ve heard of some women just rinsing their vaginas with water but I have a hard time believing water alone can clean away certain types of waste effectively. Still, I would consider this if my diet was a lot better than it is now, which… Read more »

linda
    linda
    Reply to  April

FIY, you don’t need soap or whatever so called “feminine soaps” to clean your vjj simply because the vjj cleanses itself from the inside out with the good bacteria living down there. Using soap to clean the vjj can disturb those bacteria and the vjj ph and transform those good bacteria into bad ones thus leading to funky smell, yeast and other infections. Anything that can disturb the balance of the bacteria (douching, medication, sickness, hormonal therapy, wiping yourself from back to front,…) naturally present in a healthy vjj can lead to infections. Mild unscented soap such as pure African… Read more »

Marra Joelle

kind of cool! Not sure if I would do it. In regards to down there, your lady space is fairly self sufficient. You really shouldn’t be using soap in that area as it can cause inflammation and irritation. Also, not sure I would want to smell like onions and marijuana lol.

Aly
    Aly

I stopped wear deorderant or anything under my arms and i stopped sweating and dont have any oder. Ive also know people who only shower 1x per week except for hands and genitals and they dont smell bad.

Kezzy
    Kezzy

Thanks…but no thanks 🙂

Oly
    Oly

Sounds nice ! Soap and shampoo have never did me any good all of these years anyway. i wonder how effective it would be.

Westy
    Westy

I am itching at the mere thought of it.

Elle
    Elle

Woman replaces one product with another, lol! Really respect the idea though.

There’s a sizable community abandoning ‘bacteria and oil-stripping’ cleansers, and opting for water and sebum to cleanse and condition the hair, and water and exfoliation (brushing or salt or sugar or citrus fruits) for the body. Many caution against cleansers for your genitals citing harsh ingredients, hidden fragrances and high pH. And pointing, as April did, to a cleaner diet to neutralize skin, scalp and genital odor. Great article, a lot of thoughtful comments.

bettina
    bettina

NO. in fact I’ve been trying to figure out if its safe to use a strong ANTI bacterial on my hair like hibisclens, LOL

merry
    merry

Go vegan for a couple of months and you might notice a decrease in body odor.