Rapper Lil Mama Rocks Afro Puffs + Blue Ivy’s Adorable High Bun + Lupita Nyong’o Covers Vogue + The Walking Dead’s Sonequa Martin-Green’s Red Carpet Updo

Avatar • Jun 23, 2014

image53

Little Miss Blue Ivy Carter was spotted around NYC with her father Jay‑Z rocking a crown and donning a cute little bun. Despite the drama surrounding that utterly ridiculous petition about the hair of a 2‑year-old, the Carters are doing just fine. Lets make a promise to keep the overt negativity and petty bullying to ourselves regarding a child’s hair (that means you, R&B Divas).

As India Arie put it, “Were ARE better than this.”

Didn’t cha know, Didn’t cha know:  Lupita N’yongo looks absolutely stunning on the cover of July’s Vogue!

lupita-cover-600x800

Lupita is the 9th black woman to cover US Vogue.  She’s joining the ranks of Beyonce, Halle Berry, Michelle Obama and Oprah who have all had their own respective covers on the magazine.

lupita-nyongo-vogue

lupita-nyongo-vogue-j crew

The Walking Dead star, Sonequa Martin-Green who plays the role of “Sasha,” recently stepped out this weekend rocking a fabulous updo.

Sonequa+Martin+Green Vera Wang Opening

Sonequa+Martin+Green Vera Wang

Guess who’s responsible for this look? Why it’s no other than the fabulous Felicia Leatherwood. Leatherwood has wowed us with red carpet looks such as that of Mad Men’s Teyonnah Parris.

I rock rough and stuff with my afro puffs! Look out Lady of Rage, you’re not the only rapstress donning two afro puffs!

Rapper and actress, Lil’ Mama uploaded a photo of her afro puffs to instagram with the following caption below:

So I Got Carded at lunch today… I wonder why. Lol

Do we love Lupita and Sonequa’s looks? Aren’t Lil’ Mama’s afro puffs cute?

Poshnera
Poshnera

OMG Lupita and her beautiful flawless skin! I can’t I just can’t take it. She’s gorgeous!!! Also loving Sonequa’s updo!

Alisa
Alisa

Lupita is gorgeous, I love her skin! And of course the Carter’s are doing just fine despite the petition about their daughter’s hair, that petition was ridiculous, but I bet the petitioners have deluded themselves into thinking that the Carters have started taking “better care” of Blue’s hair (see cute princess bun) BECAUSE of their petition,SMH.

straightnochaset
straightnochaset
Reply to  Alisa

Actually, the chick that started that bogus mess apparently felt the backlash of her ignorance and is now saying she was only joking. Amazing how people try to justify their stupidity by crying ‘I was only joking!’

Donna
Donna
Reply to  Alisa

Now Blue Ivy looks adorable to me.

After all of the talk, here’s a quote from B:

Fine I’ll do it. Ya’ll happy? Damn!”

Now. For all of you saying, blah, blah, blah it’s her kid and she can do whatever she wants, etc. Guess what? If that was how she truly felt, then she would’ve continued allowing her child to look the way that she did. Also, by getting her child’s hair

Here’s the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kadia-blagrove-/beyonce-responds-to-blue-_b_5488645.html

J4L4N
J4L4N
Reply to  Donna

Please tell me you know what satire means? Pretty please!!

Tameka
Tameka
Reply to  Donna

I don’t think that was a valid article if you read down to the bottom where it states:

Kadia Blagrove is a journalist, reporter and a proud owner of a nappy and happy fro. Details of this story may or may not be true. Sources are trusted imaginary beings. If this article made you question your negative comments about a child’s hair, then you’re welcome.

This post first appeared on KazzleDazz.com.

T.J.
T.J.
Reply to  Donna

You should have read all of the article even the authors bio where it states the information may or may not be true.

Roo
Roo
Reply to  Donna

In that link it says she relaxed her child’s hair!

juanicole617
juanicole617
Reply to  Donna

Hi Donna, the article was a joke, like mentioned above, sattire.

AfricanSunshine
AfricanSunshine

Lupita all the wayyyyyy!!!

Dionne
Dionne

Thank the lord,they did the child’s hair hair..didn’t realize shes so beautiful..As for lupita..a beautiful black women standard.

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Dionne

Is this only the second picture you’ve ever seen of Blue Ivy?

kia
kia
Reply to  Dionne

wow. *face palm*

Love yourself
Love yourself
Reply to  Dionne

If you can only see the beauty of a child when their hair is done well I feel bad for you. I don’t get the drama with her hair I think people are so envious and jealous of her mother for being beautiful, successful, and rich that they are attacking her baby in an attempt to get a response out of her

elastagrl
elastagrl
Reply to  Love yourself

I agree, Beyonce is gorgeous and it’s all based on jealousy.Blue IVY looks great either way she rocks her fro.

elastagrl
elastagrl
Reply to  Love yourself

Forget Lupita’s complexion, look at her baby face, perfect nose and high cheekbones, She looks like an angel. Her face is angelic and her skin has nothing to do with it. I’m ALSO tired of hearing about her skin. HER skin is not what makes her pretty. People act like they’ve never seen dark blue berry chocolate skin before. It’s gorgeous yes, she’s lucky and that’s all that matters. Her face is gorgeous. I heard some black men saying she wasn’t pretty? How ridiculous, she’s stunning! As for the lil momma she’s an average looking girl. Nothing special. Blue IVY… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  elastagrl

You were doing fine until you got classist at the end of your post. Poor people are people. So are wealthy people. People may act differently in different contexts, but you can’t generalize poor people so negatively without telling us all about yourself :

EllieLo
EllieLo
Reply to  elastagrl

So.…when I hear most people talk about Lupita Nyong’o’s skin, it’s usually about how flawless and glowy it looks. Is that just me or.…?

EllieLo
EllieLo
Reply to  elastagrl

So.…when I hear most people talk about Lupita Nyong’o’s skin, it’s usually about how flawless and glowy and smooth it looks. Not necessarily droning on and one about her skin color. Is that just me or.…?

Deb
Deb
Reply to  elastagrl

Hmm, consider a wider nose perfect too?

mimi
mimi
Reply to  Deb

why can’t a wide nose be considered perfect too? who the heck made a certain group of people or certain features the overall and absolute when it comes to beauty? get out of here.

Mercy
Mercy
Reply to  elastagrl

Wow, “lil momma, she’s an average looking girl… nothing special” What a jerk!

Mercy
Mercy
Reply to  Mercy

I hope you guys post my comment after looking past those rude comments about lil mama.
I remember Charlemagne from The Breakfast Club wouldnt stop insulting her and eventually brought her to tears. No person deserves that! Adults bullying other adults should be unacceptable too!

JoAnn
JoAnn
Reply to  elastagrl

I agree! Yes, her skin is beautiful and flawless — but her face is what is gorgeous. SImply put, she’s a whole package of gorgeousness.

Thank goodness her beauty is being recognized!

iluvnappyedges
iluvnappyedges
Reply to  Dionne

…please stop…Blue Ivy looks like her daddy

juanicole617
juanicole617
Reply to  iluvnappyedges

I see both sides of Blue Ivy’s family resemblance. I see Mama Knowles especially. So, she looks like a beautiful version of her father. Many women look like their fathers. My daughter looks just like her daddy and she’s the cutest toddler in Illinois (biased mom). So because she looks like Jay‑Z doesn’t mean she isn’t beautiful. I love her hair up because it truly does showcases her beautiful features but I never doubted her beauty with her hair out either.

hipah
hipah
Reply to  Dionne

Wow..You must be one shallow person because you were only able to see the beauty in that child once her hair was done? This says a lot about you.

kia
kia

blue ivy is so pretty.…still prefer her fro that had the world up in arms. lupita is stunningly beautiful! her skin tone is so rich…reminds me of dark chocolate.

Dananana
Dananana

Blue’s bun is cute, but I feel like her wild fro fits her toddler lifestyle better, despite what the Natural Hair Neatness Police may think. It’s cute how Jay‑Z clearly adores being her daddy 🙂 I’m convinced Lupita has never looked less than well dressed a day in her life, though I get tired of everyone talking about her beautiful dark skin. We know it’s perfect, smooth and even…can we talk more about her impeccable style and how good she looks with a Caesar cut? Sonequa Martin-Green looks so cute! I love that she displays the post-apocalyptic potential of natural hair on… Read more »

juanicole617
juanicole617
Reply to  Dananana

Now I need to catch up on Walking Dead…I’d love to see how she wears her natural hair in a post-apocalyptic world.

lv
lv

ithink little blue ivy looks cute whether she is in a bun or whether her curly twirly locks are sticking straight up freely in the air. she is a cute little girl with beautiful hair. i hope her parents did not succumb to the nasty comments from the blogs. even if you are as rich and poppin like the carters, you could still have a twinge of lack of confidence in what looks good. i myself am completely sold on african american coiled hair—from 3a — 4c. when it is healthy and properly moisturized, the world knows what is beautiful.… Read more »

bushtribewoman
bushtribewoman

Lilmamma is not the prettiest thing is she? No that hair look hit. Sorry.

hipah
hipah
Reply to  bushtribewoman

Indeed, this is your opinion that you are entitled too but I have a question. What did you add to this discussion? What was the point of saying that? Do you feel any better getting that out of your system? I’m sure many people feel that way about you as well, but it wouldn’t be nice to hear them all say it right? Treat others the way you would like to be treated.

juanicole617
juanicole617
Reply to  hipah

It don’t matter…she got over 4 thousand likes…probably even more by now, a lot of people are feeling her puffs. I like that Lil’ Mama looks like someone you could know in real life. She’s not trying to be all glammed up and many people prefer the no makeup look. She looks good and she’s still super young. Her look fits her personality and as she grows and evolves, we’ll see her look change, as we do with all celebrities. Some people are just mean because they are unhappy with themselves…I’m sure she does feel better now.

Finn
Finn

Lupita and that skin! Those cheekbones! #Slay4Dayz
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/juTDpm2.png[/img]

Marta Daniels

I think the whole thing with the baby is sad. Leave the baby alone! I am glad they did something with the child’s had. Lupita is so beautiful its ridiculous.

anon
anon
Reply to  Marta Daniels

Was the irony in your post intentional?

Elle
Elle

Love Blue Ivy’s crown, continue being a queen!

Congrats Lupita for joining a shamefully TINY minority of Black women to cover American Vogue. And the damask-printed dress in the second photo is sensational!

juanicole617
juanicole617
Reply to  Elle

I know!!!! NINE is the total? Shameful indeed. Has Kerry Washington been on the cover?

kkp1066
kkp1066

Sonequa’s hair is gorgeous. I saw her on an episode of Talking Dead. She was wearing a blow out that was cutely styled. Her hair is very thick and long.

Hannah

People complaining about Blue’s hair so Beyonce did it in a bun and threw a damn crown on it. you think the Carter’s REALLY care what people think about their beautiful daughter? Nope coz Blue is gorgeous and so is her hair. what did you expect her to come out with a full lace front?

Alison
Alison

There is nothing wrong with Average, that’s where most of us live.

Brittany. L

Nupita killed it on the cover of vogue, and lil Mama looks mad funny to me for some reason lol.

Check out http://www.curlskinksfashion.com for natural & Fashion & more

Amma Mama

Baby Blu is so adorbz! I love her high bun, so stinkin cute. Sonequa Martin-Green is pretty.

luminous
luminous

Sonequa’s updo is gorgeous. I’m definitely stealing that hairstyle.

Jane
Jane

Lupita is stunning. She has really nice features and is very lithe and delicate looking, very classy. She does have beautiful skin too, but so do many celebrities. Her hair is always nicely coiffed as well. I do think it’s kind of odd that people fixate so heavily on her skin as if it’s the only thing that makes her beautiful. It almost seems fetishistic at times.

Adía
Adía

Lil Mama’s hair style is immature. She should’ve chosen something more age appropriate

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Adía

Ehh…I don’t know how old Li’l Mama is, but as a 24-year old, I will continue to rock the hell out of some afro puffs outside of work. I might stop by the time I’m 30 (professional appearances and all), but if White girls in their 20s can wear pigtails of all kinds, what’s wrong with me wearing double puffs?

victoria rosario