How to Preserve a Wash and Go Overnight

Avatar • Jun 21, 2014
by Victoria of Tresses and Treats
As I’m still in that awkward TWA stage and dealing with major shrinkage, preserving my wash n’ go’s overnight can be kind of difficult. I’ve been struggling for a way to manage my wash n’ go, but it’s still an ongoing process. And I’m lazy (uhh, hello?!), so I really don’t like having to do my hair all the time. One night after washing my hair, I did this by accident and I had a bomb wash n’ go the next day:

1. I pre-pooed my hair with Queen of Curls pre-poo oil. I shampooed my hair using Pretty Kinky Naturals Coco-Tea Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioned using Tresemme Naturals.

2. I gave myself a much needed protein treatment with the JBCO protein treatment.

3. I did the first two steps of my LOC method using Cantu leave in conditioning repair cream and Pretty Kinky Naturals Aggressive Growth Elixir while my hair was still separated into 4 sections from washing (sometimes I do 3).

4. I popped on a shower cap & caught some zzz’s.

5. The next morning I used Queen of Curls Hair Smoothie to take down the twists, which were still damp. (Normally I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie). I used a pick to fluff out the style, clear sections, and add volume.

I noticed that:

- My wash n’ go looked brand new, like I just hopped out of the shower.
— My curl definition was still there, and the curls were a little more elongated than usual.
— I love love LOVE doing this and will probably make this my norm for summer styling.

I now know how to cut down my getting ready time in the morning. Just shake and go!

What challenges have you faced with wash n’gos?

Victoria Sallie is a 21 year old blogger living in NYC. She started Tresses and Treats to document her natural hair journey.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

KinkKurlyPathDoc
KinkKurlyPathDoc

I had a similar revelation, except the night before I coconut oil , kinky curly knot today leave in conditioner, put four twist in my hair, covered my hair with a shower cap and went to sleep. When I woke up my hair was 75–85% dry, i put gel on each section, then gave my hair a shake for my curls to fall as it desired. The results were popping 4a-4c curls

Victoria Sallie

Yes! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that idea before. Doing it overnight gives you more time in the morning, and it’s super easy 🙂 Kinky Curly Knot Today and coconut oil are amazing btw!

mary
mary

I am so confused about the wash-n-go thing. It doesn’t seem that anyone actually just washes and goes. Why is it called that?

Yayla
Yayla
Reply to  mary

Well said. I’m always intrigued that every post seems to involve at least six or more ‘easy’ steps and ten different products(!). What’s that all about?

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  mary

I agree with that thought- when you think about it you’re not really washing and going. But you’re not really manipulating your hair with this style. The next morning all you have to do is just take down, shake, and go!

Robin
Robin
Reply to  mary

Well, I guess you could technically call it “wash, maybe oil rinse, condition, squeeze out excess water, apply leave-in and/or milk/cream (or use the LOC method, if that’s your thing), and go.” For me, a wash & go means I don’t do any styling (no twists, braid-outs, etc.) beyond what I mentioned above. Once I’ve applied my milk or cream and shaken out my coils, I’m good to go. It’s low-maintenance for me. Also, I don’t wash my hair at night unless I’m putting it in twists or braids (for a twist/braid out the next morning). Since my hair’s in wash &… Read more »

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  Robin

Robin,

Thanks for sharing! You’re absolutely correct, different methods work for different people. While you can sleep on a satin pillowcase and you can wake up without a big frizz ball, I can’t LOL. My hair looks better (& I have less shrinkage) when I twist it overnight and unravel it in the morning.

I love your method though, and wish my hair could do that!

Robin
Robin

Yep: it’s all about listening to our hair and finding what works and what doesn’t. Your method clearly works for you: your wash & go is beautiful! It took me a looooong time to figure out what works best for overnighting my hair. Years ago, I always pulled it back into a low bun at night and wore a silk scarf over it. That worked kinda sorta okay, but it always left my hair more stretched than I really wanted and hid my coily texture. Then I started sleeping on my back instead of my side, thanks to a leg… Read more »

lv
lv
Reply to  mary

you are right, it is rarely a wash and go. for me, my wash and go is a prepoo, cowash, deep condition, wash out deep condition. Loc method with two conditioners that I treat as leave ins (tresemme naturals and shea moisture restorative conditioner) oil, gel. dry under a hooded dryer. Now at this point i could “go” I have gone at this point many times—hair is well conditioned, curls defined, shiny but shrunken. So rather than go, I grap medium sections and twist without disturbing the curl pattern into not too tight bantu knots. after several hours, i take… Read more »

Cherie
Reply to  mary

I am a wash and go girl. I get up in the morning and either co-wash my hair or just rinse it, in the shower. Then I apply my styler and go. Each night I apply an intense moisturizer, wrap up my hair and go to sleep. I’m pretty lazy. 🙂

IB
IB

Oh I envy you lucky ladies who can maintain a style for longer than a day! I can never seem to achieve 2nd day hair. I’ve tried everything but it always looks too flat and limp the next day so I just cowash every day and restyle.

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  IB

Trust me, I have the SAME issue. It seems like nothing works. This style is on freshly washed hair, it’s just left overnight. You can try pineappling your hair (in sections if your hair is short) to preserve it. That way, you don’t have to co-wash and manipulate your hair everyday.

Kelly
Kelly

I don’t understand why it is called wash and go either. It takes me five hours to do my hair, makeup, etc on day one. That is a wash and work…LOL! My showers are almost 2 hours long on day one. But on day two, it only takes me 15 mins to style and I’m done. On day one, I use the “praying hands” method to define my curls instead of shingling. Shingling flattens and straightens my curls and on day 2 my hair explodes. So I pineapple at night and in the morning I take it down and spray… Read more »

Didi
Didi

Good for u.Wash and gos seem not to have been designed in my hair creation.It never works for me.Oh well,I’ll try again.Nice work ladies!

Jacky
Jacky

Nice article, thanks for posting!

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  Jacky

I’m so happy that you enjoyed it 🙂

Cygnet
Cygnet

Wash & go—I agree that this suggests cleansing by whatever means, walking away from the rinse, and going about one’s business. End of story. So I don’t refer to the results of my washing as a wash & go. Rather, I call it what it is: Wet styling. And honestly, I think that’s a more accurate description of what most washers & goers do :-). In my case, I sectioned my hair into five loose plaits which I co-washed with Giovanni 2Chic Ultra-Moist conditioner. I detangled each one, rinsed the plaits, applied more Ultra-Moist, then flat twisted the sections (because I like… Read more »

Cygnet
Cygnet
Reply to  Cygnet

And I won’t say they’re incorrect … “. Somebody needs an editor :-)!

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  Cygnet

I like the name ‘wet styling’! It’s a more accurate description than wash n go 😉

I also like how you say you will flatten your hair in the direction you want it to go in… I always struggle with styling and preserving my hair overnight because it’s so annoying to have flat hair in the morning. When I style my hair after washing out this deep conditioner, I will make sure to try your method.

Thanks for sharing!

cacey
cacey

i like what cygnet said about the name. I agree that it should be called wet styling because i’ve never seen anyone actually and truly just wash…and go. i like to call it “curl defining” because that’s more true to what the ladies always end up doing.

mlank64
mlank64

dry” wash-n-gos work better for me. My hair is usually already elongated and the products absorb better given me a longer lasting style. Ms. Vaughn has a video on wash-n-go without the wash part.

Victoria Sallie
Reply to  mlank64

Hm, I’ve never heard of a dry wash n go.. I’ll definitely look into that. Thanks for sharing!

NaturallyNeesh
NaturallyNeesh

I usually don’t purposely do a wash and go but if I’m short on time I wash and condition and then do the loc method and bounce out the house.

The second day I mist my hair add oil and get in the shower without anything covering my head. My 4c coils are still defined. I don’t care to use gel that often only because I don’t want to wash my hair every other day but yea.

If you have curls or coils honestly I don’t think all that other stuff is needed. They will come out either way from what I’ve seen.

kris
kris

I literally wash and go every morning. I just put a bit of conditioner in, rinse with cool water, dry it off, shake it out, put a little leave in in and its looking great by the time I’m dressed and ready to go. I hate overly complicated things so just having those three steps is awesomeness. Idk about other people but I’ve noticed that the less I do to my hair or obsess about it, the healthier and better it looks. I found the right products and just stick to what I know. I also live in a warm… Read more »

Bridget J.
Bridget J.

I think folks need to stop taking the term “wash and go” so literally. We all know what it means when someone says it. It is a particular look or result that one gets when styling the hair. No need to be so technical.

itgetsbetter
itgetsbetter

Going to try this tonight. Hope it works for me!

CaramelKurly
CaramelKurly

Glad to see a person who has in between twa/awkward stage hair and a plus that your hair looks like half of my head. (One side is a looser s wave the other is like yours) The wash and go’s that I always see are girls with long hair. Your hair is lovely. I am trying a new wng method kn my hair. I know many naturals swear by ecostyler but I just can’t get it to like my hair. I think it’s too heavy. I used my favorite As I Am smoothing gel after washing my hair and I… Read more »