How I Manage My Waist Length, Type 4 Hair Without a “Texture Manageability System”

Avatar • Jun 15, 2014

A few weeks back our writer Christina wrote a review of the Beautiful Textures Texture Manageability System. Here, Kara gives an alternative perspective of managing natural hair.

IMG_0414

by Kara (pictured above)

By now I am sure that most of you are aware of these “revolutionary” systems that are on the market for curly girls to maintain straight hair that lasts for up to 6 weeks! My initial thought was that some person out there still believes that curly hair needs to be managed or let me put it bluntly: controlled! I was totally confused and astounded when I attended a natural hair event and the main sponsor was promoting a “texture management system.”

Afterward, I decided to share my tips on how I look after my textured hair without the need of having to turn to a texture management system.

1. Moisture

While embarking upon my journey to healthy hair, one of the first things I learned is that curly hair requires a lot of moisture. The curves and bends of its structure does not allow for moisture to easily travel down the shaft of the hair strand, causing curly hair to become dry. To combat this issue, I began moisturizing my hair on a daily basis using water, especially on the ends. I ensured the moisture applied stayed locked in by using my oil mixture and a butter such as shea butter or Darcy’s Botanicals Shea moisture curl cream.

2. Satin pillowcase or scarf

I used to wear the foot of a stocking to bed, which I;m sure many of us have at one point. Unfortunately, that is a recipe for disaster for our curly tresses, as it sucks the moisture out of our hair. Ensuring that textured hair stays moisturized overnight means your hair will remain flexible and pliable. In turn, this flexibility makes it easier to manipulate your hair into whatever style you desire. I have a lovely purple satin scarf I like to wear to bed.  Investment in a satin bonnet or pillowcase is worthwhile. If you have extra pennies to spare maybe treat yourself to a silk pillowcase or bonnet!

3. Styling tools

Although I prefer to finger detangle, there are a few hair tools that have assisted me in the past. The wide tooth comb was an essential tool that I used to detangle my hair. Later on, I jumped on the craze of the Denman brush, which was also great for detangling. Both the wide tooth comb and Denman brush were great for me, but it’s important to find the styling tool which best suits your hair.

4. Deep conditioning

Find yourself a good deep conditioner. When I started out on my journey, I was deep conditioning religiously once a week because my hair was dry. I now deep condition every other week, because I have listened to my hair and now know I can go longer without deep conditioning. I like to use a moisturizing deep conditioner such as Bee Mine Balanced Conditioner or my recent favorite, Shea Decadence Clay Mask. Applying heat while deep conditioning allows the conditioner to penetrate the strands allowing for super soft manageable hair.

IMAG1358

5. Styling

During the week, I love wearing low manipulation styles. However, on the weekends, I will sometimes wear my hair loose. My low manipulation styles typically consist of braids or twists that I style. During the weekend, I just release it for a twist or braid out. If you want to reduce the likelihood of tangles, wearing stretched styles will usually do the job. When I wear a braid or twist out, my hair is set in a specific way so my hair strands follow the same pattern. This also decreases the likelihood of tangles which definitely comes in handy when wash day is approaching.

When I was first learning how to care for my hair, I turned to YouTube Gurus. Here are some of the you tubers that taught me how to care for my hair right from the beginning:

Kinkykurlyqueen

Prettydimples01

Kimmaytube

Curlychronicles

Rustic Beauty

You can make your own decision on whether or not you want to try a texture management system. However, just remember that your hair is manageable. Accept the uniqueness of kinks, coils and curls and learn to love your hair for what it is and not what someone else thinks it should be.  As for me, I am not in a hurry to use a texture management system, my hair is manageable.

What techniques or tools have you implemented into your hair care regime to improve the overall health of your hair?

Kara is a London-based health professional who teaches individuals with physical and mental health disabilities how to live independently. She is also an active natural hair vlogger. You can find her on YouTube at NaturalCurliesTV and Instagram @NaturalCurlies

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

kelendria
kelendria

Is this really Type 4 Hair? I thought I had type 4 hair, but my coils are so much tinier. Is there a Type 5? Maybe I have that.

TeeH
TeeH
Reply to  kelendria

Kelendria, I think she got that look by doing a braid out or twist out.

niksmit
niksmit
Reply to  kelendria

Her hair is stretched in the photos and video. It looks like my type 4 hair when stretched. Also, the longer the hair gets, the weight of the hair pulls the coil/curl into kinks/waves along the strand. If you look at the ends of her hair you can get an idea of how tightly it coils naturally.

Anon87
Anon87
Reply to  kelendria

She identifies herself as 4a/b. You could have what’s typically defined as a 4c hair. So you’re both “type 4” but she’s on the looser end of that scale (texture wise). Google the types, it might help.

wanda renee
wanda renee
Reply to  kelendria

Looks like 4a to me.

Nice hair Kara.

Love yourself
Love yourself

Sorry but I feel like most readers of this site already know all this.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Love yourself

Don’t assume that everyone on this site is a long term follower. There are newbiews out there too!

hipah
hipah
Reply to  Love yourself

There are always new comers, you remember what that like right? Just skip this article and wait for another 😀

Carleee
Carleee
Reply to  Love yourself

You’d surprised at how many people like me have been natural for 5+ years and are still a work in progress. They don’t call it a journey for nothing.

Nooni
Nooni

I don’t understand what people’s problems are with these systems. I’m in London and as someone who has never been able to wear straight hair ever for more than 30 minutes without it frizzing, these systems are great! I just tried the tms and I love it. They are a great product for naturals who want to be straight for a while, so I don’t see what is so ‘confusing’ about them being at a natural event.

Don’t like it, don’t use it.

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Nooni

I think people are confused about the term ‘manageability.’ My hair is not unmanageable in its natural state, it just cannot hold a straight style at all so I haven’t tried in about 5 years. TMS allows me to flip back and forth for the first time ever. It’s an amazing product and my hair feels super silky.

Starr00
Starr00
Reply to  Nooni

Because the ingredients in a lot of those systems are harmful.

AnaDion
AnaDion
Reply to  Nooni

That is where I’m coming from too. All of her healthy hair steps have little to do with the fact that on the rare occasions that I straighten my hair, it is a pretty unmanageable affair- I’ve got straight strands that won’t lie down and poofiness the next day. If your a person who wants to where their natural hair straight for a significant period of time, I can see how it can be useful tool. As for harmful ingredients (Starr00), like Noonie said, if you don’t like it don’t use it. Same goes for things like hair lighteners and… Read more »

Cass
Cass

I’m a waist length natural with mixed hair that is high porosity, high frizz, and has extreme shrinkage. While I appreciate these tried and true tips, I’ve been waiting on a product to help with the above mentioned styling obstacles for a while. TMS seems to fit the bill. I love my natural curl pattern but with my length and shrinkage, I don’t wash and go often because of tangles and knots. Twist and braids don’t suit my style, so I wear my hair in a stretched state most of the time. I also wear my hair out 90% of… Read more »

Kb
Kb

What is the problem with the TMS system? The name isn’t the best but the product is appealing to me, as a person living in the Caribbean and straightening my hair lasts until I step through the door! Poof! Frizz! I don’t think my hair is unmanageable, but I like to wear my hair both ways, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Naturals can be so uptight sometimes, stopping taking every thing so literal!

Nooni
Nooni
Reply to  Kb

Exactly. Just because I occasionally like to wear my hair straight I’m not down with the natural cause! lol I love my natural hair and I think the tips that the writer has given are very useful if you want to be 100% chemical free, but girls everywhere like options. I really want to try the uncurly keratin treatment, which lasts longer than tms.

Starr00
Starr00
Reply to  Kb

Because of the harmful ingredients in a lot of those systems.

kara
kara

I am not against straightening natural hair. I am just not for the term ‘texture management’ as it gives of a sense that natural hair needs to be controlled. We have come along way in the natural hair community,for us then to have a product aimed at the natural hair community called ‘texture management system’. My aim in writing this article was to give those who may feel they can not ‘manage’ their hair some tips on how to best look after their texture and to offend anybody who may wish to use this product.

JenniD
JenniD

The issue with the system is that we NEED a miracle chemical to tame manage our hair. We don’t. The Systems are designed to keep straight styles from reverting so quickly. If you like to wear your hair straight from time to time then its probably worth checking out. If you get to a certain length and your kinks and coils become unmanabable, there is no shame in getting a hair cut to make it managable. Long hair is not a badge of honor lol. It will go back.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

No new information here ! Besides excellent hair care, all that length depends on the length of your hair’s growth cycle, how fast it grows & how strong the hair is. Her hair looks very strong & probably has thick strands that don’t break easily. I also think her hair may be more 4a than 4b. Some people can follow all this & other advice for years & not attain that length & thickness while others will. Every head is different.She uses a wide tooth comb & a Denman. I use a seamless wide tooth comb. I tried a Denman… Read more »

ClipsCity
ClipsCity
Reply to  NubianPrize

I think responses like this somewhat take away from the care and effort some people put into their hair’s length and condition. Genetics are only part of the equation. The other part is customizing a regimen that works for each individual’s head of hair. So of course “some people can follow all this & other advice for years & not attain that length & thickness while others will.” That is because “some” advice works for “some” people and “some” of it doesn’t. This doesn’t negate individual responsibility towards hair care. One could argue athletes are “genetically predisposed” to be athletic but… Read more »

MK
MK

Not everyone is going to share or appreciate the opinions of others and I think thumbs up to this article. It provokes healthy discussion on many levels and shows that it is still a sensitive subject for some. There is nothing wrong with straightening your hair, but at the end of the day if your hair grows curls/kinky texture then why not learn how to manage those.

April
April

I love her job!

SuzyQ
SuzyQ

I agree with NubianPrize. On her icon page it says she is a 4a..and to be honest if you look at her hair is may be mixed with 3c.

With that being said I believe everyone has the right to follow there own hair care routine without be snubbed or scrutinized.

jennyj
jennyj
Reply to  SuzyQ

You’re preaching blasphemy here. Apparently around here if you straighten or texturize your hair you are greasing your road to hell. Some people refuse to accept the fact that your hair only has to work for you, and doesn’t have to be a political statement if you don’t want it to be. I can’t comb my hair without a texturizer, and I refuse to spend hours and hours finger combing, brushing, braiding and twisting. Every six weeks I use a texturizer for 10 min. tops; deep condition, dry and go. Co-wash every week, deep condition every two weeks. This works… Read more »

Ugh!
Ugh!
Reply to  SuzyQ

The only way to know for sure what a head of hair is like is to touch it yourself. Since Kara deals with her hair on a daily basis and has grown it to her waist with apparent health, I think she would be the ultimate authority on what her hair type is. She previously described her strands as being fine and her density as being medium and what she believes to be 4a. So who are you to tell her it’s anything else? Well cared for type 4 hair can have definition/clumping. Why do people think type 4 hair… Read more »

Aliyah Morrison
Aliyah Morrison
Reply to  SuzyQ

I agree her hair look like a mix of 3c /4a likes mine. 4b is zig zags no curls and she doesn’t have any kinky zig zags .

Cee Cee
Cee Cee

Great tips! I used the TMS and I hate the name but LOVE the product. My hair stayed perfectly straight and silky and even my ends were great (they are usually poofy). It didn’t change my hair in the non-straightened stare but I will definitely use again.

Carleee
Carleee

It’s not that straightening hair is so bad, it’s that some of us live lifestyles that are not harmonious with straightened natural hair. Some naturals MUST wash their hair daily for the sake of their scalp and hair health. I have 4c hair, and I wash and go for two main reasons. First, my hair and scalp flourish with daily (sulfate-free) SHAMPOO; my hair grows like a weed because it’s healthy from daily washing. Second, I exercise daily, and my hair is a sweaty mess afterwards. So, learning how to manage my curly, 4c hair and not obsessing over stretching… Read more »

Claudette UK
Claudette UK
Reply to  Carleee

Our hair is too dry to wash every day like Europeans do!

Perla Gisselle
Perla Gisselle

It’s not even like that. Sure. It’s CALLED “Texture Manageability System” but it just straighten your hair. It’s a bad name, but a decent product. Don’t get into semantics. I used it once and my hair is back to normal now. It’s not that big a deal.

nathy

What’s the name of the product you are using at 4:26?

crys cole
crys cole

Yes natural hair is manageable but you have to know how to take care of you hair and do it. Many people use those systems or complaining how they don’t know how to manage their hair because they don’t know how to do it.