6 Cute Summer Protective Styles for Natural Hair

Avatar • Jun 3, 2014

lifeismyrunway

If you’re like me, you want to wear your hair out all summer long. However, there may be a couple of times when you’ll want to go the “protective” route to keep your hair off your neck AND/OR protect your ends from the summer sun, humidity and shrinkage. Whether you’ll be protective styling throughout the summer or just a few times this season, check out these styles for inspiration:

1. Milk Maid Braids

Milk maid braids were not just for the fall, winter and spring.  They are making their way into the summer season, too!  In the above video, Shaina shows you how to create cute, simple milk maid braids in just a few minutes. What’s most appealing about this style is that you can go to bed with it, wake up the next morning and go!

2. Sculptured Bun (for short hair too)

In this tutorial, Aisha shows you how to create a super cute, sculptured bun on short natural hair. She starts from a high puff and achieves the look in only 10–15 minutes. You will need a spritz (or water and oil), gel, a hairband and a satin scarf to slick your edges. A brush is optional.

3. Chunky Flat Twist Pompadour Pinup

I love KinkyCurlyBeauty’s creativity, and this style is one example why. For this super gorgeous pinup, she does a few jumbo flat twists in the front and pins up the back. All you will need are bobby pins, and the style is very easy to recreate.

4. Goddess Braids into Bun

Romona creates this protective style via a French or goddess braid on each side and a bun in the back. Gel is optional and an ouchless band is needed.

5. Funky Roll and Tuck Updo (for short hair too)

This is another fun updo by Aisha that can be done on short hair or modified for longer hair. You will need a few bobby pins and a rat tail comb (for neat parting).

6. Twisted Frohawk

For this look, MariaAntoinette starts from an old twist-out, but you can just as easily start from a braid-out or textured style. Though you will need several bobby pins, the updo is fairly easy to recreate.

Ladies, which of these summer protective styles do you like?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

imnotasian
imnotasian

not feeling them

Saturnia Bailey
Saturnia Bailey

Apart from the first one, the styles are all a tad frumpy 🙁

Jazz
Jazz

The 3rd one is my favourite! I think these are all great protective styles. Thanks!

LA
LA

Lots of repeat styles from winter…

Chanda
Chanda

I like the 1st and the 4th hairstyle only. I like protective styles with slick edges.

Rosie

I’m excited to watch the first video.

Sherida | Coconut + Cream

If I could do that Goddess braid thingy or milk braid thingy, I swear my hair would never ever see daylight again. I absolutely adore those styles, I find it very difficult to braid neatly like that 🙁 Subsequently, my hair always ends up tangled and really frizzy when I attempt them.

MJ
MJ

I’m surprised others aren’t feeling some of these styles sadly, but I must say I love the third one! Just checked out the YouTube video and I think it’s a really lovely updo, and I know she’s gotten a lot of positive feedback. As for the other braids styles, I’ve stayed away braiding (even chunky braiding) simply because I can’t do it neatly or nicely enough and I want to really feel a style when I’m wearing it.

lexdiamonz
lexdiamonz

LOVE the chunky pompadour I MUST try!!! AM I the ONLY one that does NOT look good in protective styles I keep looking for dressy ones but they NEVER work out so I will keep searching lol

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

1,2, and 3 are my favorites. They are all fun-natured features.

JustMo
JustMo

They are pretty but I can’t do it. I have long hair and am tender-headed to a fault. Even ponytails will give me a headache after 2 days. What kind of protective style can I do? I need an intervention because I’m seriously thinking about the creamy crack!

youngin girl
youngin girl
Reply to  JustMo

Hi, Justmo. You can do flexi rods, a easy top knot bun or two strand twists. You don’t have to be natural. It’s a choice. If your hair isn’t doing what you want it to do than go back to creamy crack.

Lynn
Lynn

Why do so many naturals wear their hair out in summer, and protect in winter? I am the exact opposite, I wear mine out all summer, and protect in winter.

amelia
amelia
Reply to  Lynn

You just contradicted yourself here.

Lynn
Lynn

I meant I protect in summer and wear it out all winter