4 Incredible Cleansing Conditioners for Super Dry Natural Hair

Avatar • Jun 28, 2014

edenbw

It is summertime, and perhaps, you find yourself wanting to wash your hair more often. If you don’t like the buildup that can come with co-washing or the dryness that can come with shampoos, maybe it is time to try a cleansing conditioner. Here are a few recommendations:

1. As I Am Cleansing Pudding

asiam-cleansing-pudding

I bought this cleansing conditioner last year and have been in love ever since. It has the consistency of a super thick, creamy conditioner but it is also very cleansing without the dryness or buildup. I like using it whenever my hair feels too dry to wash with my usual shampoo but too dirty to co-wash with a regular conditioner. In fact, this product boasts the ability to “remove excess sebum, environmental impurities and shedding scalp debris”, and my hair and scalp seem to believe it.

THE INGREDIENTS: The top five ingredients consist of water and tangerine extracts as well as a humectant, conditioning agent, and emulsifier. Additionally, the product contains phytosterols, castor oil, and aloe vera juice.

2. Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Hair Conditioner

curljunkie

Now, if you want to get as close to cleansing as possible without reaching for a shampoo, this product may be the one. People who are not fans of co-washing generally are fans of this cleansing conditioner because it is so cleansing but non-stripping. My sister loves this product for this reason as well. (There are no sulfates in this product or others on this list.)

THE INGREDIENTS: The main ingredients consist of water, emulsifiers, conditioning agents, and a gentle cleansing agent. The product also contains hydrolyzed oat wheat flour, peppermint extract, and chamomile extract, amongst many other ingredients.

3. As I Am Coconut Cowash

asiam-coconut-cowash

I have not tried this product, but the positive reviews online are endless. If you want more of a co-wash, I’d suggest this product over the Cleansing Pudding. Some reviewers state that this product is the more moisturizing of the two, which makes sense since it has the additional ingredients of coconut oil and coconut extract. Very little of the product goes a long way, too.

THE INGREDIENTS: The main ingredients consist of water, coconut extract and tangerine extract as well as a humectant, conditioning agent, and emulsifier. Additionally, the product contains phytosterols, coconut oil, castor oil, and aloe vera juice.

4. Eden BodyWorks Coconut Shea Cleansing Cowash

edenbodyworks-cleansing-co-wash

Clean but moisturized” seems to be the common phrase when naturals are asked about their hair after using this product. A few individuals even say this cleansing cowash is comparable to As I Am Coconut Cowash.

THE INGREDIENTS: The top ingredients are water, aloe vera juice, shea butter, and coconut oil. Also contained in this cleansing conditioner are vegetable oil, hydrolyzed keratin, conditioning agents, and a preservative amongst other things.

Have you tried cleansing conditioners?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

naps#1
naps#1

#4 I did not like

Miss Mo
Miss Mo

I love As I Am Coconut Cowash. Never tried their Cleansing Pudding though.

Eden Body Works Cowash felt like a lather which was kinda weird lol but it’s good too.

jl
jl

I tried the As I am coconut co wash because of the hype and i got a really good price on it..it dried my hair and I had really bad tangles. it did clean but a few days later my scalp felt sore. Ill just keep using shampoo it works better.

lesha
lesha
Reply to  jl

Same I had a really bad experience with As I Am. I personally am wary with co washing because I use alot of product weekly and I felt that As I Am did little to remove the buildup. My hair smelt odd and I ended up doing a shampoo. Which is a shame I really really really wanted to like this product. I personally am a fan of the Cantu Co Wash.

ladylanita
ladylanita
Reply to  jl

As I Am co-wash didn’t work for me. It left too much product build-up on the scalp and hair. My scalp shouldn’t be gray after one month of use. I think that’s why people complain that their hair is dry. If it’s not cleaned properly, the build up will block any new moisture from entering your hair strands leading to dull dry hair.

Jane Carter conditioning cleanser should be on this list. I think it’s a newer product. It’s the best I’ve used for my 4a‑c hair. Invigorates the scalp and gently cleanses without stripping the hair.

Napturally Kia
Napturally Kia

i’d love to try curl junkie but that price tag ««

Felicia
Felicia
Reply to  Napturally Kia

Curl Junkie has a sale 2xs a year, Black Friday and Mother’s Day. I buy the huge size during the sale at 25% off and it lasts until the next sale. I also buy Curl Rehab in the same size bottle at the same time. Yes, it is pricey, but it’s really good.

Unmanipulated shade
Unmanipulated shade

Fell in love with Eden, my fave so far. Had my air feeling lush and soft, now my staple. Have Asiam Coconut cant wait to try!

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair

Did you like the As I Am Coconut Cowash? Did you like it? I think I want to try the Eden cowash but I want to make sure that the two products are similar in results first. If you liked Eden but hated the As I Am then the Eden cowash might not be the product for me as I am in deep with the As I Am.

Osy Osehie

Currently using the Eden bodyworks and love it so far. I might try the As I am sometime.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IMG_20140626_083217.jpg[/img]

Annie
Annie

I love the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash. At first, I was scared to try it, because of the divergent reviews. Many people rave about it as a “HG” product-how it moisturizes their hair, while others talk about how ineffective it was, and that it was too greasy. I think it worked well for me, because the coconut in the co-wash helped retain the moisture in my hair, while thoroughly cleaning my hair without it feeling stripped of nutrients. Also, I think that you need to shampoo once in a while, as well to maintain a healthy co-wash.

lm119
lm119

#4 Works well!

Monet
Monet

I’ve used the Eden Bodyworks cowash for the past month and fell in love. I’m going to try the other products in the line, and eventually try As I Am as an alternative.

Monet
Monet

Let me add that I usually do an ACV rinse before I cowash, which may be preventing me from having any build-up issues others may have had with Eden.

Thick Nigerian Hair
Thick Nigerian Hair

The As I Am Coconut Cowash is my new staple. I have 4c hair, sweat heavy in the gym, and I am heavy handed with my butters/creams so when I tried non-sulfate shampoos (Everyday Shea) and conditioners to cowash (Herbal Esssences Hello Hydration) and found a THICK layer of white residue on my scalp, I said no more and stayed with the sulfates. I had to scratch my scalp red to get that junk off. I recently tried this just to check it out. The one good thing about store bought products is the return policy. If I didn’t like… Read more »

Diane