3 Key Things to Consider Before Dyeing Natural Hair

Avatar • Jun 17, 2014

image (50) by Kelsey (pictured above) of Lifewithcoco2

If you’re anything like me, then you loveeee hair color! Ive changed my hair color 7 times since Ive been natural and I’ve always been asked a lot of questions. From picking a hair color to maintaining the health of your hair, there are a couple of things you should think about when deciding to dye your hair:

Will it be appropriate for your particular working environment?

Depending on what your daily life consists of, you want to make sure your hair color goes with that. For example, you probably won’t want to have bright green hair working in corporate america.

image (48)

Will you be able to take extra time to care for your hair?

Having colored hair means that there is no room for slack. You must be able to keep your hair moisturized and you must have a consistent hair regimen in order to avoid breakage or your hair being damaged.

image (47)

Does the color I want compliment my skin tone?

There is no rule to who can wear what color; but it is important to make sure that you are going to love how it looks on you. I personally look at various types of hair color on women who have skin tones similar to my own to get an idea of how it might possibly look on me. I then tweak the color a bit to fit exactly what I want.

Keeping your hair healthy

When coloring your hair, it is important that you go into it with already healthy hair. I do not recommend coloring your hair if you do not have a healthy hair regimen or if your hair is chemical treated (permed) or damaged. Even though color is not as harsh as a relaxer it is still a chemical and it is important to keep your hair very hydrated when adding a color to your hair, especially if it is a lighter color. You can keep your hair hydrated by doing the following:

- Drinking lots of water

- Deep conditioning regularly

- Wetting your hair frequently

- Staying away from heat

After asking yourself these questions, do you think you’re ready to make the jump to color?

About Kelsey: I’m Kelsey Janae aka Lifewithcoco2, I love all things natural hair. I seek to inspire and educate using my knowledge of all things hair, health, and beauty. My goal is to encourage women and men to always be the best version of themselves.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Ty
Ty

What coloring brands or methods do you recommend for 4C naturals?

Harper
Harper
Reply to  Ty

Hopefully a 4c will chime in to answer. I think this advice is universal but the brands that may not be harsh on her hair may not be great for us 4b/cs.

Miss Mo
Miss Mo
Reply to  Ty

Ty, I’ve heard Textures and Tones are good hair color for natural hair.

Napturally Nesey
Napturally Nesey
Reply to  Miss Mo

I used that brand before and it damaged my hair so much.

AnaDion
AnaDion
Reply to  Ty

I’m not sure how relevant my experiences are, but I’m a 4a with fine hair that is prone to dryness and split ends. I dyed my hair (twice, I wanted lighter) for the first time two or so weeks ago and was scared to death, but I have noticed no increased dryness or fragility whatsoever. I used Dark and Lovely Go Intense in 10 Golden Blonde to put chunky highlights in the front of my hair. I chose it because it has olive oil in and kept it on past the instructed 30 minutes and have seen no ill effects.… Read more »

Jacky
Jacky

Nice article, thanks BGLH for posting!

db
db

Drinking water will not hydrate the hair.

lala
lala
Reply to  db

it actually does because you still need work from the inside out — the same way a healthy lifestyle maintains your hairs health and hydration (exercise increases blood flow thus stimulating hair growth).

Ms. Tina G.
Ms. Tina G.
Reply to  lala

I can attest to this as well. I’ve had a stomach virus for the last 5 days and I’ve been quite dehydrated. I haven’t been able to keep much down, not even water. I noticed these last few days that my hair had been feeling drier than normal, even though I’ve been keeping it moisturized by spraying it with water and using moisturizing products. It’s just not the same, and I know it has to do with the fact that I haven’t been taking in as many fluids. So I do believe that drinking plenty of water helps to keep… Read more »

cacey
cacey
Reply to  db

i agree. people tend to get this point confused. drinking water will hydrate the hair that has yet to come in, but not the hair that’s already emerged from your follicles. so drinking lots of water won’t affect the length of your hair that’s there already, but it’s good to drink water because it will nourish from the inside the emergent hair. i get annoyed when people don’t make this distinction. just like taking hair vitamins or eating healthy will not do didly squat for the hair you’ve already grown; it will aid, however, the hairs that are yet to… Read more »

cacey
cacey

i’ve dyed my hair about five times now, and i’ve finally decided to just live with the color i have. so for now i’m two-toned. blond at the top and red at the bottom. i’m plenty colorful, and i think i look like a deciduous tree, but i’m slowly warming up to the colors lol next time i touch up my roots i’m going for blond again. i love blond 🙂

cacey
cacey

so far as brands go, i’ve consistently used dark n lovely for the last decade. since high school, not a single year has gone by that i haven’t dyed my hair at least once, but i tend to dye my hair several times over the course of a year. i’ve already used up my allotted dye opportunities for the year, and i don’t want to overdo it, since i’ve changed the color on the same length/bulk of hair now five times, which for me is normally a no-no. but i couldn’t get the color i had in mind, and did… Read more »

Yas
Yas

I used to use dark & lovely. It gave me gorgeous color, but my hair is so fine and delicate that I decided to stop using it just to be on the safe side. I now do henna glosses.

pbotts
pbotts

Also need to consider the water used for shampooing. Hard water was one of the culprits in my dyed hair breaking off

Pat
Pat

Black is beautiful and that’s the color that I use and will use to cover my grays, to me there is nothing more beautiful on a black woman than black hair.

JAnet
JAnet

I see the mention of bottled dyes. What about henna? Does anyone have any experience with the use of henna coloring on natural hair?

Bridgett
Bridgett
Reply to  JAnet

I’ve used henna since I have been natural (3yrs). I have had no problems with it. I always do a moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards.

Kaila P
Kaila P
Reply to  JAnet

I’ve used it, it loosened my curls and I wasn’t happy about it, other than that my hair seemed to thrive. I’ve stopped using it though

Kayana Robyn-weiller
Kayana Robyn-weiller

Whats the point of bleaching hair when your going natural . Bleach damages your hair so much similar to a relaxer . It’s basically the same thing except you have colored “natural hair “. As much as thinks it looks good but the breakage and dryness is awful .

Kelsey
Kelsey

I never experienced any breakage or dryness when bleaching my hair and I’ve done it twice in one year

EruditeLady
EruditeLady

Just because a person chooses to wear their natural hair texture doesn’t bar them from being creative with their hair. People call it “natural” because it doesn’t have a chemical straightener. It was used in the 1970s and made it’s way to the 2010s. Let her be.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

My hair is naturally jet black, which is fine with me; I wouldn’t want any other color. Now, as a midlife woman I’m into covering gray edges. For the past 4 years I’ve been using henna & indigo to keep my hair black. I tried Bigen & Kid powdered dye & then found out they both have PPD, a dangerous chemical, plus they made my hair dry & very brittle. Other women I know with fine natural hair like mine had the same problem. With henna/indigo there are no bad chemicals & my hair stays in great shape. I get… Read more »

Jae M
Jae M

I henna/indigo to gain strength and to cover my graying edges.. In the past Ive used Bigen, but it was just too harsh for my scalp.. Are there any other brands that arent so harsh ?? I’d like to go lighter for the summer and Henna just doesnt do that.
Open to suggestions

Shireese
Shireese

I have Senegaless twist an I am getting ready to take them down an I want to Color my hair which I believe is 4G it is coily an medium course I have Grey that needs to be covered an I would like to dye it a color of 27/33 any suggestions for brands. Oh I am all natural no relaxer for 2 years an no rinse for 6 months or more.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/20140404_161419‑1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/20140624_000827‑2.jpg[/img]

CiCi
CiCi

If you don’t mind me asking?… What color/dyeing brand did you use in these photos? And what color is that, because that is a beautiful color for your skin complexion. I’m the same and I would like to try it out. Plz Wright back! 😀

trackback

[…] Black Girl Long hair: 3 things to consider when Dyeing natural hair (I liked this article, it was very helpful) […]

Sanpm
Sanpm

Hi I tried to dye my hair but the colour never took. I have black hair! Someone recommended colour stripper, but I don’t like the sound of that!

Do you use colour strip to achieve your colour results?