Beyonce’s Knee-Length Box Braids

Avatar • May 30, 2014

Beyonce braids tumblr2

Beyonce really loves box braids! Who can blame her? They’re perfect for the summer season we’re heading into. This time she’s sporting a look where the hair is braided down to the scalp and parted to the side. Smart move, girl! No one likes looking down at a nice pair of shoes in the store only to have your vision blocked by 50+ braids.

beyonce braids tumblr 4

beyonce braids insta

beyonce melon dress with blue tumblr

Oh hey, baby Blue!

beyonce tumblr melon dress

Kind of loving this melon-colored 90s button down maxi dress on B.

Photo Source: Beyonce.com

What do you think of Beyonce’s braids this time around?

Mel
Mel

I cant believe i’m about to say this… Beyonce, to me, does no wrong when it comes to her style and her looks! She’s an 11/10 no doubt! But this time… I am not a fan. I mean she looks great, but there’s something about that hair style that just doesnt look quite right and frankly, a little “thrown together”. She’s still beautiful, but I like regular box braids better I think this style is a bit odd.

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Mel

How can she do no wrong when for over a decade she has worn fake hair tapered onto her head and bleaching and coloring it almost every single month. This whole method has seriously damaged her hair to where it is in a horrific situation only reaching shoulder length and no more. Not to be coarse in saying this but it’s no big secret that Beyoncé like many other black women celebrities have very serious inferiority complex issues. They have a problem in truly embracing the texture of their hair and how they must develop a regimen for the natural… Read more »

Lana
Lana
Reply to  Andrea

Andrea, I don’t think I would say Beyonce or many other black female celebrities have an inferiority complex because they don’t wear their natural hair. You have understand two things; 1st- having their hair out all the time instead of protective styling under wigs, weaves, etc would kill their hair because of how versatile their hair is expected to be because of their white/hispanic/asian counterparts which brings me to point #2 2nd- how do i say this? Sometimes you have to be someone else to be yourself. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and rock a wig or… Read more »

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  Lana

Totally disagree Lana. There are gobs of black actresses and musicians who are 100% their natural selves and still many people of different backgrounds have a high appreciation for their artistry and their beauty. Let’s just name a few: Zoe Salada, Lauren Hill, Erikah Baduh, Paula Patton, Thandie Newton, Esperanza Spaulding, Lupita N’Yongo plus many more. This same old excuse continues to be reiterated:” Black women in Hollywood have to wear weaves because of our hair texture and it cannot uphold against the harsh styling extreme ties of their hair dresser. “Then stop going to a stylist who is anti-naturalist and… Read more »

Reply to  Andrea

And a lot of those women wear weaves you just don’t know it because they are damn good weaves. Beyonce is not known for wearing the MOST realistic weaves. Either way, why should black women all do the same thing. I know for a fact that Beyonce has lovely hair. She doesn’t even need weaves in her daily life a nd she might just be growing it out. Zoe Saldana wouldn’t classify as black anyway, she is an ad-mixture of mostly Hispanic descent. Since when did all dark skin people become African American? Not all darker people’s are African.Paula Patton,… Read more »

Reply to  Andrea

As for Erykah Badu. I love h er. But her afro wig straight fell the heck off one year? So don’t tell me she doesn’t wear any wigs. Erkah covers her hair most of the time and she wears wigs constantly. NONE of that has EVER been MRs. Badus hair. So really?

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Andrea

There are plenty of women, natural and relaxed, who wear weaves and color their hair. There is nothing wrong with that. It’s just choice. It’s not my choice, mind you, but she is free to do what she likes with her own hair. Heck, I’m thinking of putting some box braids in my hair again and I’m a BSL natural!

Mel
Mel
Reply to  Andrea

Ok, interesting! I respect your opinion. When I said that she does no wrong, I meant in her style in general; that includes clothes, accessories and yes hair styles. I dont think it matters if its fake or real, I think the overall look is what “works” for me, enough to say that she does no wrong. I do find that it is a BIT unfair to generalize that because a woman chooses not to wear her hair natural that means she automatically rejects herself and her roots. We find this in MANY cultures and not ONLY with black people. White… Read more »

lis
lis
Reply to  Andrea

Actually Beyonces real hair is natural and very long.…she colors it blonde yes but if she straightened it, it would be waist length or longer.….why do so many black women hate Beyonce and each other.…have we been taught this and by whom?

Andrea
Andrea
Reply to  lis

Lis with all due respect Hun, that is utter most B.S. Did you not see the Grammys this past year when she performed with hub Jay- Z? She had her hair cut ear length short due to the severe damage of the bleaching, coloring, and excessive sown in weaves. I think you have been lured into a fantastical illusion of what the media wants you to believe what Beyoncé is when in all truth she does not look that way at all.

lis
lis
Reply to  Andrea

.…thanks for responding with respect…but I saw pictures of B after her tour was over relaxing and her hair was long blond and natural…she looked like she didn’t comb it and just threw a hat on it and she looked good…what u saw was a wig.…and I stand by my statement about Black women not liking each other.why?and who taught us this? c/rap music, reality shows,who?. It really bugs me and hurts my heart to see it.Without sisterhood we are done.

Reply to  lis

You are right lis. And it’s funny because I love my darker sisters, but they seem to show us no love. I noticed a lot of black women on here criticize Beyonc’es weave without criticizing the other members of Destiny’s child. You can inform/educate these black women all the time, that the OTHER members of Destiny Child wear a weave too,you can say Beyonce hair is natural and long on it’s own, but they still compare Kelly to Beyonce,and hate on Beyonce (two diffent types of beauty) I happen to think Kelly Rowland is waaaaay prettier than Beyonce, but Beyonce… Read more »

lis
lis
Reply to  Andrea

AND Beyond looks gorgeous as usual.

lis
lis
Reply to  lis

Oops.…Beyonce looks gorgeous as usual.

Reply to  Andrea

She still has naturally long hair. The wigs or “crowns” are for performing, trust me Beyonce can GROW long hair,but who needs to when you can just put a wig on it and go sing? Why go through that with all your styling and damaging your natural hair? yes she could style her natural hair, but why would she be that stupid? You wouldn’t be saying that if it were Kelly Rowland or the other chick, they wear weaves too you know, but its only the light skinnned sisters that seem to get put down and beat up for wearing… Read more »

cacey
cacey

chica, how’d you manage to make this about lightskint vs darkskinntet? rofl you came to vent, dintja? o.O

Cierra
Cierra
Reply to  Andrea

WHY does every celeb/high profile post turn into
if you don’t wear your own natural, root to tip hair you hate yourself/culture

if that the case: if you don’t eat right or work out you hate yourself (put down that burger and fried chicken)
if that the case: if you wear make up you hate yourself (put down the MAC and Bobbi Brown)

women, especially WOC, are NOTORIOUS for this. smh. sad.
can’t get mad how other races treat us as a group when we do it to ourselves on the regular.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Mel

I can’t believe I’m about to say this.…but I really like them, Lol! I totally respect Mel’s POV though. For me, even though super popular in the 70s, I grew up in the 80s when braids, especially extensions, were stigmatized as ‘un-American’, unrefined, cheap and for ‘bald girls’. I had to evolve past this and stop giving life to stereotypes and appreciate their beauty and creativity. Some styles still look a HAM to me, and I don’t know the difference between a box braid and a block of cheese, but I like Beyonce’s Rapunzel length, the airiness, the color (except… Read more »

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Elle

Wow I didn’t know that box braids held those negative connotations.

Honeybrown1976
Honeybrown1976
Reply to  Elle

Born in the 70s and raised in the 80s, I didn’t know they had negative connotations attached. People I knew wanted them.

Twinkle
Twinkle
Reply to  Mel

Some of you all must be pretty young because if you knew anything about Beyonce you would know that’s her look since the 90s. She either has flowy hair or braids lol..

Queen
Queen
Reply to  Mel

She looks super plain in an around the way girl kind of way without that straight blonde hair and mucho make up contouring. I dig it.

Tanya

Fantastic Box Braid Hair Ideas. I Liked This Hair Style.

Alisa
Alisa

I like Beyonce’s braids, but I LOVE Blue Ivy’s little fro It’s looks very cute!

Mary
Mary

Believe me, I hate weaves and wigs. Everytime I see a black woman with Caucasian-looking fake hair, I’m like: ” Why do Black women keep wearing these ugly fake hair??!” I love braids because they’re a part of African culture but I’m kinda not feeling this look. I mean the part side and everything, that’s a bit weird. However, the box braids that she rocked in Cuba…that was EVERYTHING!!

Reply to  Mary

Maybe you don’ tknow this, but Black women possess all different types of hair. Just because you see a black woman with LONG hair, doesn’t mean it automatically a weave. I wish people would get through their thick HEAD that not all black women have the same hair. We don’t have the same skin tone or nose shape,eye shape, so why w ould we all have the same hair? Some black women’s hair does mimic Asian or European hair when flat ironed or relaxed with a chemical. My daughter is like t hat, and her hair straightens very, very smooth and… Read more »

Anon87
Anon87

There is something about it that looks a little.…wiggy. I think the plaits are too close together? I don’t know, it doesn’t sit or shape right on the head.

Poshnera
Poshnera

I’m feeling all of it, love the hair and the maxi.

Cee Cee
Cee Cee

I love them! She always kills!

KP
KP

Beyonce is a natural celebrity? Did I miss something?

Well, anywho, I love the necklace she’s wearing in the last picture!!

Lindsey
Lindsey
Reply to  KP

I think she’s considered natural because she doesn’t, as far as I know, use perms. Heat, yeah; wigs and extensions, of course, but no chemicals.

Naomi
Naomi

I love Bey, she can usually rock anything and look hot!!! I’m not feeling these box braids though. I think they’re way too thin & too long!! Sorry Bey xx

Stace
Stace

Hha she looks like Tamar Braxton in the pic with the shades and red top.

Jacky
Jacky

I love it, i think it looks great on her! and i just love seeing Blue Ivy’s cute fro getting bigger and bigger.

Caray
Caray

The pictures look like were taken in 1995 to me!! The entire looks dated and old, not feeling it!!

shayshay
shayshay

1995 isn’t old. It’s RETRO!

Ella
Ella

meh on the hair. But Blue is a cutie!

Chanda
Chanda

They’re okay. They look kind of cheap though.

Tanyfaye
Tanyfaye

Loving blue’s brown doll!

khendra
khendra

Are these box braids or cornrows braided to the side?

Bush Baby
Reply to  khendra

I love BLACKGIRLLONGHAIR!!! …but these are not box braids …these are cornrows =) also… are they really KNEE-length??
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Copyofipadinventory2012-2013550.jpg[/img]

Angel
Angel

Braids are coo. Maybe it’s her protective style. I would love to see her rock her natural hair though!

Kristin
Kristin

Lis she cut her hair into a pixie last year its not waist length. But I do think she looks nice she is just protective styling so we should just leave her alone.

Lynn
Lynn

@lis… Bey hair is not to her waist . It was just aired about 4 months ago that her hair was short. It was actually very beautiful. In my opionion we as black woman should stop making a big deal about our hair! That’s what make us as a race so unique because our hair comes in all textures and length. I think Bey and a thousand more black woman have gorgeous hair whether natural, relaxed, or colored !!

Ashley
Ashley

I cannot believe black women are putting each other down about some damn hair.that doesn’t define who she is as a person.she could be a great person and yall talking about she colored het hair omg…so what!

Sheka
Sheka

I strongly dislike some who comment on these natural hair sites who believe that automatically like everybody should go Natural or once you have natural hair if you don’t show it you are not proud of it. Its a choice not everybody wants to leave their hair natural or wear their hair out and its not becuase they have inferiority complex or whatever else y’all come up with its becuase its their choice. Being natural rocking a weave or braids doesn’t make me feel less African or less confident or more or less proud of my hair.

GINA
GINA

I LOVE the braids, but the headline is misleading… The length is no where near her knees. Like, was this on purpose for hits? Lol, I have the same length on my hair now, below my butt, tres chic! Braids are a perfect summer look, I dig it!

Antoinette Stewart

For those of you who appreciate these lovely braids — a friend of mine is the stylist responsible for them

logicalconfusion

Well might as well be to her knees lol. Beyonce is a legend,and she’s amazing! Her style is great. I’ve always loved her passion and commitment to fashion and fitness.The fact that she looks like a REAL black woman is inspiring. Curves and all. I am so glad the true black women like Beyonce are representin. Let’s face it most of us aren’t rail thin like Lupita. Those are different measurements that most of us as black women have never been able to achieve. SO glad that curves and braids afrocentric women do exist in Hollywood.

Dananana
Dananana

Umm… Let’s step away from Bey here for a minute. Are you generalizing Black women’s bodies like this for real? I have seen other Black women in all shapes and sizes. Implying that there’s a “real Black woman” body type is very othering to Black women who are naturally petite, and it’s just as bad as a fat-shaming perspective.

Reply to  Dananana

Uh excuse me, but how is saying someone has the IDEAL female body shape compared to “fat shaming” I will NEVER know? That’s almost too funny to be taken seriously. Black women have the perfect body and face and everyone knows it. That’s why so many people copy us. When was the last time you saw a Japanese woman with a shape like Beyoncé? IF you did then most likely it was plastic surgery helping them. But I get your point, not all black women are built alike,but I don’t think I ever said we were. I just said Beyoncé… Read more »

lauri
lauri

Ugh, logicalconfusion you sounding just plain CONFUSED.

AvaH
AvaH

Uh no, Beyoncé doesn’t represent us all.

iluvedges
iluvedges

ugh

Reply to  iluvedges

ugh and that’s the difference between you who is a peasant and me who is a Goddess, I can give another Goddess a compliment. I wish people would be more secure in themselves.

Ray
Ray

Wow, what you wrote so far has been both offensive and mean. “True black women”; I really can’t understand how some can use this adjective to qualify others; because in every ethnicity, people come in all shapes and sizes. There is no “true” anything, saying this is insulting to people who don’t fit your definition and it’s belittling.
And I would imagine that a “Goddess” would be humble and kind. I’m sure there is goodness in you, so maybe you should think before writing and take some time to check wether it’s pointlessly insulting or constructive.

GSOLDIER
GSOLDIER

I find your comment both amusing and ridiculous. Born and raised in Nigeria and constantly moving living from one end of the world to the next, I can tell you that at least Lupita represents a good 15% roughly of black beauty. Beyonce (who ain’t even full black and is bleaching till infinity) represents like 5%. Lupita’s skin tone and hair alone is about 80% roughly of Black Africa alone! And despite what media shows Black People worldwide!!! WAKE UP! Both small percentages but to badically say Lupita who is 100% pure black (and African) and sports her natural stress… Read more »

logiclady
logiclady
Reply to  GSOLDIER

I think your whole post and thought process is ridiculous. For one, MOST black women aren’t BUILT like Lupita. Lupita is not a very curvy woman. She is built the way most white people THINK people should be built. Don’t you know that most white men think black women’s bottoms are too big and a lot of them think Kim has a big ass. DUH we all know that any race of woman can have curves you dolt. However, it is usually most black who have curvier bodies than most races, and sorry doll, but that’s a FACT. Lupita doesn’t represent… Read more »

eve-audrey
eve-audrey
Reply to  logiclady

You have issues. If beyonce represented most african american women then tell me why the colorism monster is so big in the US then? Why if most AA women are light like beyonce? Why are many of them so happy to see lupita on the red carpets? As far as beyonce’s skin tone goes just pick up the photos of her album dangerously in love and compare with her pictures now. She has always been light but got lighter with the years get your head out your ass. And lastly not every woman who’s not a fan of beyonce is jealous… Read more »

eve-audrey
eve-audrey
Reply to  eve-audrey

Last sentence i meant most of the time

bamarolltide
bamarolltide
Reply to  logiclady

I like the braids Bey is wearing. I’m in the south(Bama) and yes it is like that oh you are light skinned you be okay. That comes from black people. I“m so tried of hearing such dismay. Yes we are mixed down south and anywhere. We have plenty of dark skinned with baby fine hair down here like Chill from TLC rap group. Who cares about how she look, we suppose to be talking about hair. Yes, I have been natural, and now wearing relaxer and dye my hair. I like to do that, right now I“m wearing it like… Read more »

logiclady
logiclady
Reply to  GSOLDIER

And yes Light skinned black women can be TRUE black women. Beyoncé is now padding, again the little green envy monster is coming out. hahahah how sad and unhappy you are. What happened did your boyfriend say Beyoncé was cute or something? I swear get over yourself. Beyoncé is the BOMB and MOST black women are JEALOUS of her. And I’m a woman and I don’t hate because I’m secure enough in myself and don’t have to hate on someone for being a GODDESS< because I know I’m a goddess too. Maybe if you worked out and got into shape… Read more »

GSOLDIER
GSOLDIER
Reply to  logiclady

What the f$#! is wrong with you. I’m concerned for a no. of my sisters. scan true my comment and let me know: 1) when did I say light skin black women ain’t true. I said insighting that Lupita isn’t is bullocks. 2) I have nothing to envy from Beyoncé. You must be one of them stans who can’t take any truth about Beyonce. Why would I make up the padding and bleaching when it’s bait! You don’t have to be MJ obvious, but when people are confusing her for a white woman in some photos (and they never did in… Read more »

Reply to  GSOLDIER

Get real, who do you think runs the fashion industry?? A bunch of gay European men run it and Lupita is built like THEY/THOSE gay men THINK looks sexy. Since they wouldn’t post my other comment I have to re-post my response to you. Let me start with,Ummm how do YOU know that Beyoncé bleaches her skin? Sounds like you are just jealous to me. As for padding, uh no again, did you NOT see Beyoncé in her skimpy out fit shaking it to Partition? I don’t think we need to argue whether the chick has curves or not sis. BEyonce is… Read more »

eve-audrey
eve-audrey

And please do yourself a favor and stop talking about the african continent. Just because your mom is supposedly african does not mean you’re an expert on aftican populations.

I believe someone rejected you. Really

Lala
Lala

Beyonce is not mixed. She is Black. Period.

logicalconfusion

Here we go again, I said that BEYNCE represents what MOST black women look like. I swear some of you have such poor reading skills. When did I say that ALL black women are built like Beyoncé?? I said, that MOST of us are and we are actually famous for our bodies. I have plenty of friends who are skinny/ no butt/flat chested and they are black. So I didn’t say ALL black women. I just said, most of us would like to think that Beyoncé represents our body types. It’s not as common to find non-black women with that… Read more »

logicalconfusion

Lupita gets work because she’s a gay fashion designers dream. Gay men run the fashion industry and I’m happy and proud of her. I don’t hate unlike many women show themselves to do on here. I’m very happy for Lupita’s success and I don’t think it’s because she’s dark, or a fetish beauty for white people to love and admire and feel good about. She is an awesome model. She has a mix of innocence, youth and just a touch of androgyny to give her an edge. I’m going to tell you the chick is BAD. No one can touch… Read more »

Sandi
Sandi

Something does not quite look right about this hair

Lala
Lala
Reply to  Sandi

The braider only braided in the blond hair instead of mixing hair color. Also, it looks like her ends need to be dipped again.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Beyonce is gorgeous, that’s a fact! However, I’m not feeling these braids, I don’t like how there is not any movement at the top–I think they would have looked better free fall and a bit shorter.

Amma Mama

She looks amazing. I love her light orange dress and necklace. # Beautiful

Taijah Marie
Taijah Marie

I love queen b but I hate that look on her. I’m just being honest.

lily
lily

don’t like it, sorry

Melly
Melly

Her braids are ok, too long for me.. I never liked french braids so I stick to individual braids.. She is rocking an old school style, But I do see women still rocking french braids..A lot of woman who always wear weaves(Not All women) will rock braids b4 wearing there natural hair..I encourage all women to keep their hair healthy rather relaxed or natural, in weaves or braids.. But since it’s not my hair and I don’t have to pay for it then I don’t lose sleep over it…

Michelle
Michelle

Like the girl-next-door look. Her braids are ok. I think some people are over-analyzing the hairdo. I’m sure she has probably taken them down already.

making waves
making waves

Why is it that whenever a black woman is successful, she is compared to Beyonce. Lupita has a beautiful body and skin in her own right.

Back to tbe topic, I dont like this look and I dont know why everyone acts like she is the most beautiful person walking the face of the planet. She looks washed up here. Beyonce is o.k. she isnt as cute as lupita, and alot of other black women who are overlooked, imo(since Lupita is brought up).

Idk, im not a hugebfan of her or her looks.

bettina
bettina

Been wearing that braid to the scalp individuals every summer since the 90’s its the way to go because they are faster to take down then all individuals…

cacey
cacey

probly shouldn’t join this but i thought logicalconfusion raised some interesting points. it depends highly on where you live, whether or not you can say what body type represents the norm for your particular area. I live in south georgia, and i can PROMISE you that down here, the vast MAJORITY of black women are, sure, curvy (big asses, big boobs) but i can also assure you that well over half of them are overweight/obese, particularly past about the age of 45. you’re far more likely to find slender black women if they are significantly under that age, or they’re… Read more »

nosense
nosense

I just wish she’d stop with the ratty blonde hair. She’s really trying to convince people it’s her natural hair color. Looks silly.

sweet_lies
sweet_lies

people who think Beyonce represents the majority of black women obviously haven’t seen her in person. she is tiny. she’s like 5′7″ and a size 4, she’s pale as a ghost, and she has bleach blonde hair. i’m sorry but she is not trying to represent the majority of black women. and that’s not her job so who cares? no matter what she does, she can never represent me because she’s uneducated, in articulate, and immodest.

Natali paul

i like it sooo long hairstyles .…

sarah mazar