5 Ways to Achieve the Perfect Big, Stretched Afro

Avatar • May 7, 2014

Style Icon Annisa

It is becoming that time of year when many naturals want to wear their hair loose and big. For those who want to rock the big, stretched afro, there are a number of ways to achieve the look.  Here are just a few ways:

1. Wash-n-go then Diffuse

Starting from a wash-n-go is probably the easiest method, especially if your hair can handle it.  This lady does just that but with the added step of diffusing the front of her hair for extra stretch.  Check out the video to see what I mean.

2. Banded Old Wash-n-go

In this video, we have another stretched wash-n-go but using another method – banding for stretch.  Another difference from the previous tutorial is that she starts from an old wash-n-go.  Watch her step-by-step demonstration.

3. Bantu Knots to ‘Fro

Wash-n-gos are not the only way to achieve a ‘fro.  In the above video, this lady uses bantu knots for just enough stretch to still maintain the afro texture.  Check out her tutorial.

4. Big Twists on Dry Hair to ‘Fro

Big twists on dry textured hair are another way to achieve that perfect stretched afro.  Though this lady starts from an old wash-n-go, you can just as easily start from your natural curls, coils, or kinks OR an old braid-out or twist-out.

5. Big Braids to ‘Fro

Lastly, you can also get creative, like this lady, and use big braids to achieve a stretched ‘fro.  This method might be ideal for those whose ends might tangle too easily in the previous videos.

Ladies, have you tried any of these methods?  Are you planning to rock your ‘fro this season?

About Chinwe

Healthy hair care tips and more! http://www.healthyhairbody.com

Alona
Alona

I don’t wear fros and don’t intend to for a few reasons. Let me preface this by saying I am a 4c with tangly hair that coils in places and does nothing in others not that soft cloudy kind of 4c that can be detangled with fingers easily although my crown is much more like that. 1. My hair tangles very easily due to coils and undefined hair that like to catch on to each other if given the chance. 2. I get excessive single strand knots when I leave my hair out without trying to give it a certain level… Read more »

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  Alona

My hair is the exact same texture as yours and experience the same problems yet I rock my fro ANY WAY. Cause I get single strand knots and tangles regardless of what I do. Next to straightening my hair they are pretty much consistent with every style. Afros for me are simply convenient at times and cause less stress on my scalp. I don’t always have time to do intricate twist, updos etc to my hair after wash day. And often I just plain don’t feel like it. Enter the Afro. I have tried all the above techniques with bantu… Read more »

naomi
naomi
Reply to  Alona

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO MEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! its so annoying but i still do afros cuz it looks pretty on me. it just requires ALOT of leave in conditioner, oils, protective styles and regular trimming to handle it. i wouldn’t trade it for anything tho. my sister has those 4b cloud like kinda hair thats soft.

Brittany.L
Jo
Jo

I actually did #4 yesterday and this morning, except I had a part in the center. 🙂

mary
mary

I twist mine up dry then comb out the twists and pick out my hair.

Aliyah
Aliyah

I have 4a hair . Do they have a tutorial on how to get a big stretched heartless Afro by braiding it in sections with 4a hair not 4b not 4c ?

lockstress
lockstress

I did notice that my fro is bigger after a wash and go. My problem is that i don’t ever rememebr to wrap my hair up at night. Sleeping like a wilding doesn’t help either.
I love my fro…lol

Brandi
Brandi

I have a little fro going on and I love it! Can’t wait until my fro gets bigger.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/image‑7.jpg[/img]

Amber
Amber

Hey I am going natural for the first time and it’s really hard for me because my hair is short due to my big chop