Body Like Whoa! 10 Naturals to Follow on Instagram for Fitness Inspiration

Avatar • May 8, 2014

1. Genetra
We have to admit Genetra’s instagram makes us want to grab our headphones and rock out to Missy Elliot’s “Lose Control” while taking care of business on the elliptical.

2. Jaz Stewart
Jaz Stewart is one to watch as she is coming into her own as an evolving yogi.

3.Ashley Joi
From calisthenics to lifting weights, Ashley Joi keeps us on our toes and reminds us what consistency and hard work can do to make a healthier you.

4. Amber Desiree
Amber is not only an NFL cheerleader for the New England patriots, she’s also an accomplished yogi.

5. Lex
Lex is a personal trainer who is making some serious waves in the figure competition world.

6. Francheska of Hey Fran Hey
This goes without saying. Francheska of Hey Fran Hey is a well known blogger and we sort of want her to be our accountability partner when it comes to working out and watching what we eat!

7. Double Dutch Aerobics- Michelle
Even if you weren’t the best double dutcher on the block as a kid, following Michelle of Double Dutch Aerobics, makes us want to get back on the double dutch bus.

8. Simone
A Masters student in Biochemistry and a fierce bikini competitor, Simone shows us that fitness is truly a balancing act.

9. Ashley Renee Chong
Ashley and her fiancé lost a combined amount of 200 pounds after going to a raw vegan diet.

10. Ebonie
Ebonie is a hoop dancer of 4 years and continues to wow us by taking the act of hula hooping to a whole nother level.

These ladies make us want to get our life! Ladies, how do you stay fit?

nylse

i’m inspired! time to run.

momofIV
momofIV

#9 Ashley’s pic looks like 2 different people…amazing transformation! It’s awesome to see sistas out doing their thang.

Jari
Jari

I like Fran’s body. Most of them are bigger and more muscular than me. I’m thin so the softer look is more interesting to me. The others have the body type that seems most popular in the black community but I’ve never fit that image and never will.

Monica
Monica
Reply to  Jari

I hear you. At my smallest and tightest, my body did not look like any of the women in these pictures. Not all black women have tiny waists and muscular bottoms. There are plenty of us who are apple-shaped and no amount of diet or exercise will transform my body into Genetra’s.

Toni
Toni
Reply to  Jari

Maybe you have more of a danceer’s frame, like Zoe Saldana.

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Jari

Hey Jari,

We tried our best to provide a diversity of fit body types. Some (like Genetra and Fran) are curvy, some are muscular and some, like Ashley and Ebonie, are very slim and not visibly muscular.

Jari
Jari

Oh don’t get me wrong. I loved this feature. Diet and exercise is so important. I am slimmer than Ebonie, naturally slim. I think the naturally slim body type is shunned among black people to the point where black men and women both deem it unfeminine and undesirable. I’d be more appealing to black men if I was ‘thick’ rather than thin. The only way for a slim black woman to be approved of is for her to have thickish thighs, wider hips and a rounded or full bottom like Fran appears to have but that shape is born not… Read more »

T Spells
Reply to  Jari

I think you’re making lots of generalizations. I have been multiple sizes and shapes pre-and postpartum, and have always gotten attention from men. The biggest thing is to be secure, happy, and confident with yourself. That radiates from you and is attractive to men. It also appeals to the women around you and encourages them to accept themselves as well.

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality

…Puts down chocolate.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Afrinaturality

Don’t put it down! Especially if it’s dark chocolate! Just do 5 squats for every square 🙂

merry
merry
Reply to  Dananana

No.she needs to put down the chocolate and do squats.

One squat is not going to burn off a square.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  merry

No, but 5 squats, as I said, might. It would depend on individual physique and metabolism…and the chocolate lol. My point is that we shouldn’t necessarily deprive ourselves of things we might like just for the sake of being healthy. I’ve been down that road before, and all that will happen (for me, and others like me) is a break in discipline—I’ll just binge out on junk for a period of time and ruin the progress I made. To avoid this, I allow myself 2 cheat days during the week, and eat pretty healthy (beans, rice, poultry, veggies, no dairy,… Read more »

Toni
Toni

I’ve been off of my exercise schedule for the past week. This motivates me to get back on track. I don’t have bodies like most of these girls, and I am fine with that because I know what I want for MY frame, but I do see things that I can incorporate into my own routine. That especially goes for watching what you eat and consistency in exercising(4 days a week of exercise normally).

Guest
Guest

You can also add Destiny Godley and “BeautifulBrownBabyDoll” (I think that is the name of the latter).

Hayna Jota
Hayna Jota

Good list! Below are a few more sistas to check out. They offer nutrition and training advice.

Mankofit:

Nina
Nina

Beautiful post, i love it, black girls inspiring and supporting each other! And let’s not forget MarC she deserves to be part of this post and has a great youtube channel!

LoveMyCurlz

Such great inspiration! I have been challenging myself to get a workout regimen going since I can do one for my hair, I want the complete package! Is anyone feeling challenged like I am?

chalabrooks
chalabrooks
Reply to  LoveMyCurlz

I am. I have to restart mine. I was in a car accident and had to recover from whiplash plus my sciatica nerve was aggravated. It’s time to get back in action. I love my Hip Hop Abs and I want to get into other programs.

Tigerlady80
Tigerlady80

I have started running and incorporated some yoga (Jillian Micheal’s yoga burn dvd) which made all the difference to my aching joints by building strength. I always shied (sp) away from yoga because I have that big on top and bottom frame. I would try to do certain poses and my boobs just got in the way. I got over my hangups in the privacy of my own home and I am glad to say I ran my first charity 5k and the recovery was so much better due to improved flexbility and suppleness of my muscles.

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks

what is a yogi?

Likewaterforchocolat
Likewaterforchocolat
Reply to  Nappy 4C Rocks

Pracitioner of yoga exercise

Izzie

Hey everyone, I’d appreciate if you could check out and follow my tumblr blog. It surrounds natural hair, health and fitness.

Tressedtoimpress
Tressedtoimpress

Don’t forget Antanique! Her hair, body and fitness game are tight.

lauryn
lauryn

Don’t forget @msrobin_nella

Belle
Belle

I have read so many articles on this website, perhaps 5 days a week I am here. I must say this is my favorite thus far. It completely sums up my goals for myself physically. Thank you for the inspiration and thanks to the naturals featured in this article too.

DP
DP

You should’ve thrown Elisabeth Akinwale into this mix! She is a fierce Crossfit competitor, awesome mom, and has beautiful hair!

Shanqua
Shanqua
Reply to  DP

Wow! I think I need to do crossfit. Those arms though.

Jacky
Jacky

I feel so inspired plus i just got a new set of jump ropes, gotta get my fitness on. Ashlee Chong and her husband look so fit and healthier.…Seriously making me want to be a vegan and where has Jaz Stewart been hiding all my life? The moment i saw her picture, i knew that i should follow her on Instagram, I wanna start doing yoga.

nik
nik

Dont forget @msrobin_nella and @drphoenyx, and @fitnessblender for homeworkouts. They have a channel on youtube.

Niya
Niya

Vivamarnell on IG is another natural who’s takes her fitness life seriously. I can definately see her up and coming. Her journey is pretty interesting and I love her 4b/4c hair.

Alwina
Alwina

This motivates me to up my game! I run, box, yoga and take bootcamp classes but I have more work to do! Thanks for sharing!

Cali Jones
Cali Jones

Also add @fabchickgets fit. She’s gone from 280lbs to training for we first bikini competition in Novemeber!

elsa
elsa

I don’t wanna stay fit I wanna gain weight !

tehera