Kelly Rowland: I’m Rocking This Bob Because of Color Damage

Avatar • Apr 7, 2014

Kelly-Rowland-Cute-Bob-2014

Say it ain’t so Kelly!! You might have noticed the sexy songstress is rocking a hot bob lately. Well, it wasn’t entirely by choice. In an interview with People Magazine Kelly shared that the bob is the result of color damage. Check it out;

I wanted to experiment and color my own hair. That was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I thought it was semi-permanent color. It was permanent color… I was packing up to leave for a red eye flight, and I thought that I’d have enough time to rinse it out cause I’ve kept semi-permanent color on long before. I ended up keeping it in for almost two hours and the permanent color ate all of my hair. My hair had grown down to like right where my shoulder hits, it was nice and healthy and thick. I went and reached for the back of my hair and it was all in my hand! So I went to my stylist the next day and said, ‘So, my hair’s broken off, I need you to fix it.’ He was like, ‘How did this happen?’ and then cut all my hair off and it just turned out really cute. I actually used Beyoncé’s hairstylist, Neal [Farinah]. Neal cut my hair and I love it.

In a previous People Magazine interview, Kelly Rowland initially said she cut her hair because she was bored. But I guess she decided to come clean.

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

Ubah Luar
Ubah Luar

No offense but the bob doesnt fit herr long face quite well:(
I have a similair face shape. As a a Kelly fan!
Het hair will grow back over time,rock is Kelly!

To thine own self
To thine own self
Reply to  Ubah Luar

Actually she looks great with a short cut

Andiegurl
Andiegurl

I agree. It looks really pretty on her. It’s a nice change from the long wigs and weaves.

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls
Reply to  Ubah Luar

I don’t think it’s the cut, it’s the middle part. I have a long, narrow face as well and center parts don’t work well with our face shape. I think a side part would look better, but Kelly is beautiful regardless!

Veronica
Veronica
Reply to  Ubah Luar

My favorite look on her is when she was in Destiny’s Child (the early years) rocking the very short hair with the petite figure and the catsuits. Woo! I even remember a few guys back then saying, “I like the one with the short hair.”

Ubah Luar
Ubah Luar

*Rock itt*
Im Dutch my Englisch is bad:)

trackback

[…] Kelly Rowland: I’m Rocking This Bob Because of Color Damage […]

Beth
Beth

why would a celebrity try to colour their own hair at home?

Bliss
Reply to  Beth

lol I guess just because you have the money doesn’t mean you HAVE to spend it. Plus she also said that she’s colored her hair many times before so she was probably confident that she could do it…..just picked up the wrong box i guess.

iluvedges
iluvedges
Reply to  Beth

exactly!

jo
jo
Reply to  Beth

she dont have that Beyonce money

Keya
Keya
Reply to  jo

I don’t care for these celebrities, but I am sure the money that Kelly has is more than enough to do whatever she needs to do. Money is the least of her problems or concern.

lala
lala

Good for her.she looked at the bright side of things and created a cute and new look instead of crying over broken hair.positive attitude is everything.

transitioningchica
transitioningchica
Reply to  lala

lala, thank you for this post. You are right. Attitude IS everything. I am going through something very similar to Kelly, except my breakage is due to problems with a brand of relaxer that my hair didn’t like and not color. I was a little sad, but there is no use crying over spilled milk. In fact, the breakage has inspired me to start transitioning. Currently, I’m 4 months post relaxer. I’m going to cut off the dead ends and protective style for growth. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for my tresses!

Elle
Elle

Sorry for the perm trauma, but congrats on returning natural! I swear you’ll feel brand new after cutting the ends, keep us posted on your progress.

lala
lala

Transitioningchica sorry about the breakage. I relaxed my hair after 3years of growing it.i regreted my decision then i told myself i might as well enjoy because it was cute. So i rocked a short cut for a few months then transitioned back.now i’m a year relaxer free and have a cute fro.Enjoy your hair in whatever state it is.happy hair growing dear!

Poshnera
Poshnera

Ish happens!! I’ve always liked her with short hair. She’s a beautiful woman and it looks great on her.

Courtney

I love that length and style on her. It’s fun, flirty and she can dress it up.

Andrea
Andrea

Ok this is just the last straw. I don’t understand why so many of these beautiful black celebrities who I know have 24/7 access to the internet and great natural websites like this one and the hundreds of channels that are on youtube, and they cannot educate themselves enough to know that poor choices such hair dye, tightly woven weaves and wigs, and overkill of heat ultimately destroys the hair, sometimes permeantly. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened to a well known black celebrity. Beyoncé ran into the same problem and sadly we are all aware… Read more »

AllyCat
AllyCat
Reply to  Andrea

Heux, you dont know Beyonce or if she ran into any problem with her hair/weave/color. It never ceases to amaze me how people make point blank statements about what a celeberity has said, done, hasnt done, wanted to do without ONE video, quote, twitter post coming from that person (that person MOST OFTEN BEING BEYONCE). How you sit at your computer and make up ish like you have ever laid your eyes on Beyonce IRL, let alone have a conversation with her about her hair care practices or anybody who would know her hair care practices is beyond me. Good grief.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  AllyCat

Relax! I’m sure Beyonce doesn’t need internet heroines to go all caps lock defending her.

the_lovely_one
the_lovely_one
Reply to  AllyCat

@AllyCat, as I recall Beyonce’s stylist did admit that the reason she cut her hair was due to damage right after her pixie cut photo went viral so you’re wrong. Why are you so angry? Stop stanning so hard. Jeez

linda
linda
Reply to  Andrea

I think they shouldn’t be all put in the same basket. Kelly said she usually does color her hair herself and this time it was simply a mistake. Why don’t we simply take it for what it is? As for Naomi, it’s also another story and same for Beyonce. Why do we expect all of them to be perfect 24/7/365? They are Human Beings like all of us, they make mistakes and probably more than we do because they are constantly placed under scrutiny. Yes because they have money we assume they will make better choice and have better stylists… Read more »

lablooplah
lablooplah

*insert the i cant tell meme* Cant tell if she cut her hair or if she just took off her weave and said she got a hair cut. Beyonce did that before. Anyway I think she looks great not only with short hair but just rocking her real hair, relaxed or not.

Scootova
Scootova

I think the bob fits her face.She has beautiful skin and features. Beyonce hair is always on point, so I can see why Kelly used her stylist. I t hink it’s cool that they just like use each other’s stylists like that?! well the stylist obviously knows hair.
I am having problen with breakage too as of today and i t’s getting on my nerves. I may use some castor oil but I bought the one in the blue bottle near the constipation medications!? I am not sure that’s the right one to use?! 🙁

Lolly
Lolly

Good lord I’ve been there. Grew my natural hair out to shoulder length and then dyed it with permanent colour-let’s just say my hair didn’t like it and fell out. within four days I was rocking a TWA. I was pretty sad the first week, as I had spent so much time and love trying to get my hair to grow, also I was heading on a date and had just started my new job, it wasn’t an ideal time to lose such a defining part of my look, but being a resilient 23 year old, I decided to change… Read more »

First of all
First of all

I’m going through this right now, I’m going to big chop again because of permanent hair dye. It seemed to dry my hair out! I can’t believe it because I relaxed and dyed in the past.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

I went and reached for the back of my hair and it was all in my hand!”

Just the back came out? Love you Kelly but Idk about this story. Hmm

jasmine
jasmine
Reply to  Deedeemaha

agreed,
i think its a cover story…

CJ
CJ
Reply to  Deedeemaha

That’s the same thing I said. Was she just coloring the ends, because the rest of that bob seems pretty full to me for someone supposedly experiencing color damage.

Andiegurl
Andiegurl

I like that she’s actually been wearing the style. She could have easily just threw another weave in or a wig. I like that she’s choosing to rock her real hair for a bit.

aly
aly

At least she’s being honest about the reason for the cut, unlike beyonce.

J. Nicole

I like this style on her. She’s one of those women who seem to always look better with shorter hair, but I think the middle part is a lil too blunt without texture. I honestly feel there is something misleading about the story. It would have sounded much more authentic had she simply said “I stopped wearing a weave”, since it seems like that’s all she did. Not saying it can’t happen, but any story I heard of someone who lost their hair due to coloring or perming, it’s usually at the top or sides where hair seems to be… Read more »

Jasmine
Jasmine

.Nicole and everyone eles who thinks kelly roland is lying as someone who has had broken overprocessed hair from relaxers and dyes my top and sides were always much longer than the back. When my hair broke off from overprocessing the back was always the wrost. I have experienced the same situation of overprocessing my hair with the back being broken off the worst.

imani
imani

I learned the hard way too.I used permanent color to give myself a few highlights & it took me a year to see that the pieces id dyed were a now actually a different texture &permamently frizzy.I finally started triming the colored pieces & I’m taking the slow road to cutting out the color.as cute as it looks when the sun hits my hair,the health of my tresses finally won me over. I haven’t found a semi that doesn’t eventually start to turn green as it slowly washed out! If anyone has any suggestions id be willing to consider them… Read more »

Jordan
Jordan

I just want Kelly or Solange to overnight me one of those textured wigs that they have…

Brittany.L

I’m happy she keep it real most celebs woulda just said they did it just because.

Check out http://www.curlskinksfashion.com for fashion and natural dope combo
And follow us on Instagram to join in the fun

Lawuan

Now I love Kelly Rowland nothing against her but she is slightly sugar coating the story. She did not cut her hair into a bob it grew that length and she had it shoe into a bob. She reveal way back in October of last year a short pixie cut stating she cut her hair off. She could’ve over process her hair but it took a lot more off than what she is claiming. Anyways regardless of hair length she still look beautiful. I’m always use to seeing Kelly Rowland rock sassy short hair anyway.