How I Crocheted Micro Senegalese Twists into My Hair

Avatar • Apr 21, 2014

by Sarah Dee of Coils So Beautiful
Crochet Micro Senegalese Twists. I know, that’s a mouthful to say. I don’t even know if that is an official style but that’s the best way to describe what I’ve got going on here.

Below is my braid pattern:
Braid Pattern

I would suggest doing the braids in the middle smaller and in an s‑pattern rather than chunky braids. Also, to further reduce tension, you can add synthetic hair to your braid pattern just as you would a sew in. The only negative thing is the bulk it adds to the front when doing these twists. If you use Marley hair or a thick/curly hair, it won’t be as noticeable.

I used four packs of Xpressions hair and I cut them in half. I also used a bobby pin instead of a crochet needle. I tried using the crochet needle (with closing-latch hook) this past April and it did not work out for me. I started off fine but snagged my hair often in the needle. It was frustrating to use the crochet needle and I didn’t have the patience so I took out what I started and did some micro braids with the hair. After that, I told myself I wouldn’t try crochet braids again. So this is my first successful attempt at crochet braids, using a bobby pin and my tool of choice instead. It’s just easier for me.

So what changed my mind?

I wanted to install Senegalese twists for January, but I was concerned about the tension and pulling on my edges. Ideally, I wanted to avoid or lessen breakage at all costs. So I figured crocheting these twists on would ease the tension. I went on YouTube to see if anyone had done crochet braids with Senegalese twists and I found a couple of women who did!  I put two and two together: crochet braiding and Senegalese twists. Additionally, I stumbled upon an alternative to the crochet method and heard about the bobby pin method. I didn’t search for any videos on the process, I just envisioned it in my mind and instantly realized how it should be done.

Process Below:

Installing Crochet Senegalese Twists

crochet twists

• Take a small amount of hair and “stretch” it so that the ends are not blunt (this will help the ends from unraveling)
    *by stretching I mean pulling some strands in the opposite direction to make the ends uneven
  • Take the hair by the middle and slide it in the opening of the bobby pin all the way to the end
  • Use one hand to hold the strands tightly (close to the middle where it bends) and with the bobby pin in other hand, take and push the closed end underneath your braid and pull through with the hair
  • Remove the bobby pin from the hair and pull one of the strands through so that they are even on both sides
  • *Twist the strands together
    *I used a spray bottle with water and spray the synthetic hair to give slip and twist faster..it helps my hands not use so much energy which made all of this pain-free! 🙂

Notes

• I used 4 and half packs of Xpressions brand kanekalon hair: colors 27 and 30.
  • I cut each pack in half and stretched the hair by pulling on the ends of the strands to make it uneven.
  • The install took me 2 and a half days to complete.
  • The braid pattern I used was trial and error..total error. I would suggest straight back cornrows to avoid the bulkiness

The upper-middle is unfinished

Video Tutorial Below

Pros

• Reduces tension and manipulation of hair; also preserves edges from breakage and damage
  • Lasts longer than traditional twists because natural hair is not twisted in strands and therefore the hair will not become frizzy
  • Can use any color of hair because it wouldn’t show your natural hair in the twists like traditional senegalese twists
  • Versatility: can be styled or worn down
  • Easier to moisturize hair and scalp simultaneously

Cons

• Natural braids may show at edges (some may not consider this style versatile for that reason)
  • Can be heavy if too much hair is used
  • Tedious and time consuming method for installation

I plan to keep in this style only for a month and a half, and so far so good! (see image below)
Crochet Micro Senegalese Twists
Have you tried crocheting with a bobby pin? Will you try out the senegalese twist as a protective style?

Sarah is natural hair enthusiast and blogger. She returned natural in 2010 and has been enjoying her natural hair journey ever since. She likes to do hair for fun and challenges herself by trying different and difficult styles.

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

nylse

that’s ingenious!!!

Jane
Jane
Reply to  nylse

That’s the first word that came to mind when I saw this!

flouncingtart
flouncingtart

this is amazing. i’m always so impressed with naturals who can do so much with their hair.

Valerie
Valerie

absolutely beautiful! Summer hairstyle!

JAgirl
JAgirl

props to her…I love the way it looks, may try it in the future.

NaturallyNeesh

wow thats awesome! I tried crocheting but le sigh.…has not worked out for me so far lol…nice to look at though

nicole hunter
nicole hunter

I love this idea, especially the style at the bottom with the headband!!!!

Adina
Adina

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/yt.jpg[/img]

I recently did this with my yarn twists! I crochethed them in and they came out awesome. It took me 5 hours to install, but doing it this way will allow me to take them down in very little time.
I’m so glad I did it this way, I’m never doing senegalese twist extensions the normal way again, lol.

Adina
Adina
Reply to  Adina

P.S
I did the front row of my twists normally in order to get rid of the corn rows showing.
But the rest of it was crocheted in.

KP
KP
Reply to  Adina

Nice! Looks great! I think I might try it this way.

smarie
smarie

Beautiful results but this seems like a lot of work.

nina
nina

i like this! my daughter and i were just talking about marley hair in twists. i have had good success with curly crochet styles w/cornrows using added hair, as they allow me to wash & condition my hair and scalp as often as i like to. they grow out really nicely as well. thanks for the pics!

Lo
Lo

COLD! The best idea ever. Like EVER

darkchildlovethyhair

Yes I’ve done this. Watched Jouelzy’s tutorial on crocheting with a bobby pin and got right into it. I used marley hair and it took me 6 hours. However it was sooo heavy so I had to take it out the same day. I’ll try this senegalese twisting style when I have 2 days to spare. Love your braids hun 🙂

Ps: wasn’t able to attach the picture from my blog of the crochet braids I did. Oh well!

April
April

Definitely thinking I can do this. Now I just have to learn how to cornrow!

Karen J
Karen J

I found that a bobby pin was more gentle/better for my daughter’s fine hair strands as well. Planning on trying a beader. I need to use less hair next time also. But, your hair turned out really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Miss Elisa K.

Beautiful… Oh the patience. The last time I did an extension install, let’s just say it took forever lol. And I suck at cornrowing my hair. If someone in Philly can do all this awesome stuff, I will pay you 😉 lol

Britt @ One&20

Soooo pretty!
I wish I knew how to do any of this!

Chinye

I must try this, most likely over the summer.

Gaone
Gaone

thaank you so much, hadn’t thought of these I live in Botswana and there not so many tools (such as crochet braids) including products, these is really helpful coz I have a weak hairline.

Mackenzie
Mackenzie

Oh!!!! If I just had the time to do this!!! So pretty and great for versatility!

Richelle
Richelle

i just did my install of the crochet Senegalese mirco twist…just to let everyone know you can buy the pretwisted Senegalese twist…very easy to install and take down

Bridget J.
Bridget J.

I used to get crochet braids when I was younger and my braider always used a bobby pin. Last year, I got crochet braids twice and installed them with a crochet needle. Will try using a bobby pin next time just to compare.

nya nh
nya nh

Will definitly try this some day. Crochet are the best for everything!!!

Alwina
Alwina

Beautiful! I might actually try this! Thanks for sharing!

Sharlene
Sharlene

This is amazing! I’m totally going to try this next time I want to twist my hair. I feel like this would be especially great for those of us with less dense hair. I always hated the “scalpy” look.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Sharlene

My thoughts exactly. Definitely gonna have my stylist try this.

Haduko
Haduko

I’mma hafta try this. Your hair is BOSS.

Tusar
Tusar

Looks beautiful…Any chance we can get pics without the hair band?

Adía
Adía

Wow I have never seen twists done like this before. Very interesting and inventive!

chika
chika

You can also buy pre-twisted hair for a faster application. I really want to try this style.

Toy
Toy
Reply to  chika

Exactly! Pre-twisted is the way to go!

shawnta
shawnta
Reply to  Toy

Where do u get it?

Commonsense
Commonsense

Wow that is a lot of work, but you are truly a genius for thinking of it!!!!!

fizz
fizz

amazing! but my braid pattern is different to yours. to small cornrows in the middle and bigger cornrows either side. i like to have 2 small in the middle so i have a middle parting and it actually (once i’m finished looks like my real hair) the crocheted hair is not braided or twisted just left out. but i notice every time my edge break, any tips?

olivia
olivia
Reply to  fizz

Hello Fizz, could you please share your braid pattern with me..I’d love to see it…wana try the braids this weekend. My Facebook account name is Olive Skovski…would appreciate the pictures and tips too..xx

Dione
Dione

I tried the crochet braids and love them. I put them in myself and had a friend put them in the second time. I wear my own hair out in the front and braided everywhere else. I wash them with ACV and water and shampoo. I condition them and treat them as if my hair was out. I’m looking for major hair growth. It’s been in about 3 weeks and plan to keep them in another 2 weeks.

trackback

[…] wait to start my weekend also I need to figure what to do to my hair, I might decide to go on this DIY PS mode because of the weather. Please share your regimen with me on the comment box below. Thank you for […]

olivia
olivia

Lovely…i wanna do mine this weekend..would love to see more pictures…keep up the good work…am learning from you..xx

Sheila
Sheila

I did this to my hair about 15 years ago. This was when the latch hook braids were popular. The braids/twists were already made in the pack and I used a crochet latch hook needle. It looked awesome, but the hair was really heavy on my head.

Fikani N
Fikani N

You are brilliant!!! Never woulda thought of that.

Negrakitty
Negrakitty

Thanks so much for posting this — has been a key part of my protective natural hair journey ever since 🙂