Woman Awarded $75,000 after Police Forcibly Cut Off Her Hair

Avatar • Mar 28, 2014

The video says it all. In November of last year, a woman by the name of Charda Gregory was arrested and booked on the count of trashing a motel room in Warren, MI. Once in custody, a female police officer detained Gregory while cutting her weave off with scissors. Video of the incident went viral. The police officer had since been fired and all criminal charges against Gregory were dropped.

Editors Note: Gregory came forward with her account of the events, stating she barely remembered what happened and could have possibly been drugged at a party she attended earlier in the evening. It also should be noted that the police officer who cut Gregory’s hair has a track record of discipline problems within her respective department. One as recent as 2010 for being “untruthful.” Video

Gregory went on to recently reach a settlement of $75,000 with the City of Warren, MI in light of the incident.

The original survellaince video from the jail is below:

What are your thoughts on how the city handled the case? Was $75,000 enough to compensate for Gregory’s experience?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

the gypsy life
the gypsy life

What?! Did they think she was trying to conceal a weapon or something? Smdh.

Beth
Beth

I must be missing something here. Was she locked up or was this just being detained for some hours? I’m not familiar with prison protocol. But if they were not supposed to cut her hair then yes, they ought to pay, I do think 75 thousand dollars is a bit much though. Was it racially motivated? I need more data.

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  Beth

I think that she was detained. But you know I have seen a lot of females with braids and weaves come in (I volunteered at a city jail waaay back in 99)and they didn’t do that. Only if you are being jailed do they ask you to remove that stuff, or if you can’t make bail and your court date is like a loooong time away so you would be in there a while. Since most of the time people make bail or their court day is like the next day maybe 3 days away at the most if you… Read more »

flouncingtart
flouncingtart
Reply to  Tabatha

“Hours before a police officer allegedly struck Charda Gregory, restrained her and cut off her hair, the 22-year-old woke up at motel, surrounded by strangers, with no idea how she had gotten there. She “flipped out,” said her lawyer, Paul Misukewicz, then allegedly damaged the room at the Suez Motel on 8 Mile Rd. in Warren, just north of Detroit. The cops were called, but not before Gregory ripped a TV out of the wall and smashed it, according to Warren Police.” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/cops-cut-hair-off_n_4731632.html Y’all should really read the whole story. She flipped out because she was drugged and possibly sexually… Read more »

Patricia Kayden
Patricia Kayden
Reply to  Beth

$75,000 is not enough. She should have gotten millions. There is no justification for restraining someone and cutting off her hair. NONE. This is a travesty.

Tabatha
Tabatha

WOW!One thing that I’m wondering about is if the motel will bill her for trashing the room? Even though she went through that she still trashed a hotel room and needs to be held reliable for the damage. As for the hair, they aren’t supposed to do that! They have to explain the whole hoopla of why you have to take them out, then they have to basically say, if YOU don’t take them out then you’ll be forcing us to take it out for you. Then ask her does she need assistance with that? I don’t know if they… Read more »

MsKat
MsKat

While I think 75K was a bit much, I also think the hotel should bill her; she likely wound up detained because she didn’t have the money to pay for whatever she did, and now she does. That can be her lesson learned in reference to what not to do in a hotel room. As for the police, I am glad the one who did it was fired, and I am glad they had to pay for what happened. that can be their lesson learned on how to treat an incoming defendant. I’ve never been to jail and don’t really… Read more »

Chocolatecurls
Chocolatecurls

Nooooo… She should have been paid more than that!! This is ridiculous! Smh!

t
t
Reply to  Chocolatecurls

I agree. i dont think 75K was enough under any circumstances for cutting someones hair off. And then holding her down to do it. Shes not in prison, its a city or county jail. So its temporary and the charges werent that serious anyway. And what does any of that have to do with her hair. I think they should have paid more just on civil rights. just wrong!

elodie
elodie

This is shocking, and it is humiliating for the victim. Glad she got payed for the prejudice.

jasmine
jasmine

According to the article, She was at a party & woke up in a strange place & got scared and freaked out in the motel.. She didn’t just show up & start messing stuff up.

Gigi Young
Gigi Young
Reply to  jasmine

That’s even more disturbing!!! Did the police even think to offer a rape kit for her? Nope, just a “wild” black female who needed to be jailed.

flouncingtart
flouncingtart
Reply to  jasmine

Yeah, seriously, why were these details left out? She was a victim of a crime and the cop humiliated her even further.

Naturally Lovely
Naturally Lovely

The article states that her weave got cut off. Did her real hair also?

I think $75,000 is enough. The cop getting fired is even better.

Adía
Adía

I heard they cut her hair so harshly they ended up pulling her natural hair out too

transitioningchica
transitioningchica

I saw this video a few months ago and I felt violated. I cannot watch it again. Was there no more humane way to handle the situation? I am glad justice has been served.

Iva
Iva

This article left out some facts though. She claims that she had been drugged and woke up in the room without knowing how she got there and the room wasn’t hers. There is a possibility she may have been sexually assaulted. So basically,this woman is possibly a victim of a serious crime and this is how the police treated her.

75k is not enough.

pc
pc

This poor woman was did so wrong, the female cop should of been fired & so should the other officers that helped tie her down & stood by while the female officer cut her hair off. There was no compassion shown, just humiliation, & I’m sure it was painful when that officer was cutting that poor woman’s weave & natural hair, we have no idea if it was a sewn, glue or how it was installed a number of things could of caused permanent damage to her scalp because it was apparent that officer did not care. I believe what… Read more »

KP
KP

Whoa. Where’s all the money coming from?

Reply to  KP

More to the point, where’s all the racist hatred coming from down the centuries to present day?? Any concern for that at all?

Jo
Jo

It should have come out of the police officer’s pocket instead.

Curry
Curry

That’s good for that stupid ass bald headed hoe,she should of been more aware of her surroundings!HA

flouncingtart
flouncingtart
Reply to  Curry

-all the points for this victim blaming trash.

Weaver
Weaver
Reply to  Curry

And then there are people like you who are stupid for the sake of being stupid.

Cami
Cami

I saw that video sometime ago and thought it was extremely degrading, humiliating, racist, sickening … I could go on and on.

She deserves MORE, but at the very least, every penny of that $75,000 should be TAX FREE!!!

tanyfaye
tanyfaye

It seems so violently done ‑_-. But at least they only cut the tracks out and not her actual hair! Along with the 75k I would have requested they shave the woman who was cutting her hair bald. Then.… And only then would i have felt that justice had been served lol.

Reply to  tanyfaye

Reports say she was left with bald spots where her own hair had been yanked out.

les
les

Seeing this just saddens me. Did anyone notice how the other staff just acted so nonchalant while she was being held down?It’s almost as if this type of thing goes on regularly.

Primmest Plum
Primmest Plum

$75,000? That’s chump change. That’s like JUST enough to pay my college loans, undergrad and grad combined. This is easily a million dollar settlement but I think somewhere in the ball park of $200,000-$500,000 would have been more appropriate. That video makes my blood boil, not just because of the demeaning act, but because of the blatant disregard for HER victimhood. She woke up in a hotel room with men she did not know and had no recollection of how she got there. THAT should have been the real issue. If the police department would have done their job and actually… Read more »

Crist
Crist

Wait…the victim got money and the office got fired? I’ve heard horror stories of women being raped in their own apartments and innocent people getting shot by the NYPD and the office only gets a couple months of desk work. Wow :/ I wish every person that gets abused by officers of the law gets comparable justice

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Crist

True.
I was surprised as well. But I’ve read stories — outside of NY, FL and CA of course — where victims of police crimes actually DO get some measure of justice. But there’s also a lot more to the victim’s sexual attack, the police attack and the history of this department we haven’t heard yet, I’m sure.

Reply to  Crist

They clearly messed with the wrong victim this time.

jessybabe

This is horrible and one of my worst fears. I would be flipping out too if this happened to me.

Cidriana
Cidriana

She should have gotten more. Look at the way they treated her, like some kind of animal. And what was the point of cutting off her hair. I don’t understand this at all.

anastasia
anastasia

I worked as a probation officer in juvenile hall in California. We had a young lady (White) transferred from Orange County jail on a juvenile warrant, and the officers had cut her weave out if her head. Her hair looked butchered, to say the least. But, yes cutting out weave is protocol in adult jails in California.

Janine
Janine
Reply to  anastasia

Then why did she get fired

Reply to  anastasia

Did they push her forward and then wrangle her like some farm animal beforehand though? and did she have her hair ripped from her scalp leaving bald patches as this (Black) woman experienced? Her head literally WAS butchered. This racist behaviour is outrageous and though you may make comparisons in the name of standard procedures, there’s just way too many blacks that have been mistreated and killed in custody and on the streets from pre-civil rights days to present day to ignore what’s ACTUALLY happening here. You may disagree but TRUTH is TRUTH. Where’s the plethora of examples of white… Read more »

luna
luna

As a respect to her, I’m choosing not to see this video. Good for her for seeking justice.

Mary in Md
Mary in Md

My mother cautioned us to never put our drink down or let it out of our sight at a party. If we did, she told us not to drink anything else from it. This is so sad. No one deserves to have something like this happen to them. I’m so grateful to my mom for giving me this advice. Let’s pass this advice along to other young women (and men) so they can avoid being victimized in this fashion. My heart goes out to this young woman. Seventy-five thousand isn’t enough but I hope it eases her pain. To the commenters… Read more »

NubianPrize
NubianPrize
Reply to  Mary in Md

My mom gave me the same advice even tho she knows I don’t drink alcohol & she even said not to put your food plate down & go back to it .Scumbags can put drugs in ANYTHING !! Apparently,according to Anastasia’s post, weave cutting is protocol in adults jails in California & they’ve done it to whites too. Stupid idea,treating people like this. Why not just have someone search their hair. To me $ 75,000 isn’t enough

marineblue
marineblue

Shocking and twisted behaviour from the white police officer. Can’t say I’m surprised though. Embracing our heritage brings feat into some people’s souls.

Anonymous
Anonymous

That video is hard to watch…I’m outraged! She was treated like an animal…there is no reason whatsoever to cut that woman’s hair. It was a way to devalue and demean her as a human being and it was RACIST beyond measure. Anyone who says racism is dead needs to have their heads (and eyes) examined!

Stacey
Stacey

All the male police officers in that video should have been fired along with the female police officer. What a disgrace. Sad, they are more comments on Blue Ivy’s hair than there are on another black female being treated like we are still in slavery. SMH!!!!

Reply to  Stacey

Well said.

shaniqwa
shaniqwa

Wow i live like 20mins from there smh that’s messed up i believe she should receive more money

soulmama

Can’t understand what her drinking/or whatever has to do with them cutting her hair?? Or maybe that’s just me.

Tiffani Knowles

I just don’t get this story. What would possess someone to cut off the hair of an assailant. Did she feel this was an appropriate disciplinary measure. How would this make the arrest better? Would she be easier to manage without the weave. Sick. I tell you.

If you guy are interested, check out our new site: http://www.blacknaturalhairstyles.org

aleshae
aleshae

I agree about thep male officers. Also I know that persons smuggle things in their hair but if this woman was arrested after being zonked out at a party what could she have in it? couldn’t they just do a search of the hair then? And if it was a case of her being invited for a extended stay in the free hotel and the rules are no weaves then I am quite sure they could find a more humane way to remove the extensions if they cared to try

Reply to  aleshae

Why is it always black people being treated like this, to the point of murder? Every scene reminds us of the way slaves were treated as sub-human objects.

Hop
Hop

I have seen this video before and I am amazed over the focus of her weave being cut out vs her getting assaulted before her hair was cut out. I don’t understand. I know this website is a hair blog so BGLH will get a pass… But still, from my memory she was aggressively pushed and hit and the hair we just a part of the other crimes against her. When this story first broke I felt the media, even black media sources, were laughing at her and her weave. With that said… It is protocol for weave to be removed… Read more »

Reply to  Hop

Exactly. The overkill attitude is clear for anyone who has eyes to see it. There should also be a sub-policy for sewn-in weaves. As for the aggressive treatment, I agree, she was actually pushed and wrangled like an animal rather than a human with rights to be treated with respect. Their attitude is repugnant.

Hop
Hop

The reason why weave is removed because they can be used as weapons, particularly suicide. The weave track can be used to strangle. I know it is extreme but I accept the reasoning because desperate people can do desperate things.

Reply to  Hop

Well she’s hardly going to be able to remove weave thats SEWN in rather than just clipped in to her hair is she?! The conduct towards her was equal to them wrangling some farm animal and just attests to the attitude some have that prisoners/blacks/whoever they look down on are somehow sub-human.

joan

Why did only the wonan cop get fired!!!!!! Those men were involved. I find it equal to murder if you were there then you were involved!!!!!

Rey Rey
Rey Rey

Jesus is going to get them bastards. She should have bit the lady on the neck or started walking on the ceiling. Ain’t nobody cutting my hair off and walking away with their face still in tact.

Dollynn
Dollynn

At many jails, prisoners are required to remove hair extensions that clip in because they could be used as a weapon or to commit suicide. But Charda Gregory didn’t have clip in extensions.  She had a weave that was sewn right into her real hair. Charda Gregory is a young mother who loves her hair.  And the 22-year-old hair dresser loves changing her style often by using weaves. But Gregory’s hair changed dramatically after an encounter with a Warren Police Officer.  Even though there’s no audio on the video from inside the Warren Jail, you can see Gregory kick her legs… Read more »