True Life: I Tried a Water-Only, Zero-Product Regimen On My 4B/C Hair

Avatar • Mar 1, 2014

by Barbara of Frotastic

BGLHBARBIE

Since going natural 3 years ago, I became sort of a mad hair scientist; mixing food items including peanut butter into my concoctions without a problem. Then out of the blue, my scalp decided enough was enough.

What happened you ask? A teensy bit of my sealing oil, rice bran, touched my scalp and it burned to pieces! The same thing happened with avocado, olive oil and hemp. So for the 4th time over the past year, I once again found myself racing towards the kitchen in a panic with shampoo and conditioner in hand.

Instead of simply giving up on experimenting with new products, concoctions and oils, I decided to take it a step further and eliminate all products. Yes, you did in fact read that last sentence correctly. All is in a‑l-l. All as in no oils, no conditioner, no moisturizers, no leave ins…well, you get the point.

I’d love to say that I came to this water-only epiphany on my own, but the truth is it’s been all the rage on white hair boards. I’d routinely skim through threads of adulation then remind myself that these kinks need the whole nine yards plus another inch, that is, until the aforementioned incident.

Water-only does not equal “wet it and forget it.” In fact I had to devise a special regimen before embarking on this experiment. I committed to massaging my scalp everyday for at least 5 minutes in order to move sebum from my scalp to the length of my hair. Also, once a week, I rinsed with water and “scritched”– which is very, very lightly scratching the scalp to further loosen and distribute sebum.

Did my 4b/c hair survive on a water only regimen? There are 2 answers but first, a preface; As a long-term protective style wearer (braids or twists) I like to leave a small section in the front loose so I can “refresh” it while hiding the new growth in the back sections. This practice allowed me to compare loose 4b/c hair on a water only regimen versus twisted/braided hair.

Link to water only VIDEO:

The twisted/braided sections were amazingly soft as well as shiny and very easy to take down. My hair felt as if I’d sufficiently moisturized and sealed the day before.

The loose section held up fine but was not nearly as moisturized as the twisted sections. My theory is intertwined strands can better retain moisture from water rinsing sessions and sebum massages.

I was so beyond thrilled with my results that I now practice the “water-only” regime every other month.

This is what my hair looks like after 4 months of practicing the “water-only” regime every other month.

june2013TOoct2013

If you’re protective styling your own hair and can commit to sebum washing and massaging then perhaps water- only may be worth a try.

Ladies, would you try this?! And if you already have, please share your experience!!

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Tamia
Tamia

water only sound drastic. I can see it working on white hair but our natural kinks might need a little more than just “water only”. It seems cost efficient and from the pic your hair seemed to get longer and bigger. Seems like an ok ides but you don’t like it till you try it.

CoCo
CoCo
Reply to  Tamia

you sound stupid.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH
Reply to  Tamia

TO ADD TO THAT THIS IS A 4MONTH DIFFERENCE. HOW DO WE NOT KNOW IT WOULD HAD LOOKED LIKE THIS ANWYAY

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

water only works fine on my hair too. I tried it by accident years ago and saw growth.

Mlle Batifole
Mlle Batifole

Just four months!!! Wow, your hair looks so lush! I might have to try this. 🙂

JENNID
JENNID

Your hair is beautiful! I think I tried this years ago when I was somewhat of a newbie. I remember it working out ok. Good experiment. I have always thought that 4b/c hair didn’t need a ton of product to look to stay healthy. I think the key to this is the scalp massages and the fact that you only wet your hair down once a week. If you wet your hair down more than this I think it would dry out.

JNice On the Mic

this is really interesting. Think I want to try it. I’m not big on all the products and concoctions I often see people make so this will be really cool to try out

lablooplah
lablooplah

I agree.

Sarita
Sarita

Love your hair. I would really like a response, if at all possible. I am seriously going all the way. My hair is currently in braids and it is chemical-free for about five months. But I don’t know where/how to actually start. Why? Long story short: Mother started relaxing my hair at 6, “It was too thick.” 2007 it all fell out. Hairdresser nursed it back to health: 2.5 years w/o chemicals; texturized for 2 years; eventually a lot of breakage; back to no chemicals, braids, wigs or sew-ins. I fell in love with natural texture, which me hairdresser says… Read more »

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  Sarita

look into YouTube videos and natural hair blogs

:-)
:-)

Interesting article because I have been thinking of trying this since last week, so the timing of this article is great..

I’m going to give it a try with my ends and see..

Missc
Missc

I am definitely trying this! 😀

:-)
:-)

I’d suggest first reading the articles in the “getting started” tab on this website to kinda give you a clue of where to start..

the key to happy natural hair, imo, is moisture, and finding styles that reduce tangles and knots, then stay consistent..also health, that is important too, if you have a lot of breakage, then maybe there is a protein problem, that has helped me..

idk if I have helped but check first on the articles on that tab..

Kezzy
Kezzy

Your hair is just so beautiful and water only is something I’ve always wanted to try but I’ve been apprehensive to do it as my hair gets very dry. You’ve given me some courage to give a shot…just a trial of course. As I often say to myself “APPROACH HAIR WITH CAUTION”.

Elle
Elle

Great article, I recognize the author from YT! I’ve used the water-only and sebum-only method and really love it! I have mainly low-porosity, coarse hair. It ranges from loose curls to kinks. I seriously need to watch my ends for dryness and breakage, but I’ve done WO and SO on and off for decades and have had really great results retaining length and much-needed moisture. Moisture comes in a variety of different ways, you don’t have to dunk your hair in water to get moisture. Sebum lubricates hair and moisture is of course also internal; vitamins and minerals and nutrients.… Read more »

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle

Nah, I’ll just stick with what’s been working for me.

Lynn
Lynn
Reply to  Cece Danielle

CeCe I agree. I admire her and anyone else for being able to use water only. I say this as well.…do what works for you. The routine I have is best for me. I don’t think water only would help my hair, I have to have PRODUCT.

shine
shine

Wow! I commend you.…I keep it simple BUT the climate here…(Toronto, Canada) needs something I opt for a light coating of amla, coconut, olive or black castor at least!! If I was in a warm climate.…I would go for water! Your hair looks great!!!

Vee
Vee
Reply to  shine

I agree with you 100%! I have to do a sealing with oil for this winter weather, how do you use amla?

Ai
Ai

Great article!
I always use water only when my hair is in braids and it works well. I simply spray it with water in the morning and it keeps my hair soft and moisturized! But it is just not enough when I wear my hair loose.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Ai

Same for me, 24 hours WO with loose hair is my MAX!

Amber
Amber

I LOVE being natural, but when is it doing too much? Every time you turn around, there’s some new regimen, rule, routine, or concoction.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Amber

you don’t have to try them ALL. lol, I always laugh when women say its too much, it only looks too much cause you keep thinking you have to try everything suggested. Its just different women telling you the different things they’ve done. Its up to YOU to pick and choose.

Nubiahbella
Nubiahbella
Reply to  Amber

How much simple, can you get with water only tho?

Vee
Vee

I do water and oil only. It has been working wonderfully for me. In this winter, I need the oils to help protect my hair, in the summer, I will be decreasing even potentially eliminating oils all together. I also do GHE with this method, and I have seen moisture results and length as well. Most important, I can finger untangle my hair with very little breakage, and only a slight fairy knots. Most of my hair like 95% is shed hair YES!!!! I’m very excited, and it has worked so well for me. I do use extensions, and there… Read more »

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Vee

yes, I MnS daily with a water/olive oil spray bottle, and I dc with olive oil a lot of the time, then rinse off and seal damp hair with olive oil again. That’s almost my whole reggie.

Trainee Rapunzel
Trainee Rapunzel

Interesting, she has great hair… I won’t be trying it though; I actually enjoy the palava of experimenting with different oils/butters/products and my regime works for me.

TINA SMITH
TINA SMITH

DUMB AS HELL

Chez
Chez
Reply to  TINA SMITH

Why are you always so mean?

Inas
Inas

Naw I’m good on this one lol

Jasmine
Jasmine

I’m not big on products and concoctions either but water only method? Not happening over here lol. I’m into the keep is simple stupid method. Keep the scalp clean and the hair moisturized and conditioned. I have shampoo, conditioner, 1 oil, a leave in and coconut milk (for deep conditioning). Its interesting to see different regimes though! Glad it worked for you, your hair is gorgeous!

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Jasmine

It*

cinn says...
cinn says...

Something like this seems like it would be a good idea to try in the hotter months. I am new to being natural and I am wondering how to handle all these products in the summer. I really want to go as light as possible when it gets hot.

EllieLo
EllieLo

This.….must take some serious dedication.
I can tell you right now that this isn’t my cup of tea, but I have deep respect for Ms. Barbara for trying it and sticking with it! This doesn’t seem like the easiest thing in the world!

angie
angie
Reply to  EllieLo

Why wouldn’t it seem like the easiest thing in the world???? Is buying a crap load a products easier?? is finger combing easier? is twisting easier? is re-applying conditioner every dry moment easier? is wrapping your hair (which isn’t sexy) easier??? is learning what every f’n product does easier? Is being a natural who still alters their hair for convenience easier?? Is being natural (period) easier??? See where i am going here? I just had this chat with another natural blogger (Cipriana Quann) and she too agreed that the masculine approach is much easier…the masculine approach being, stop hoarding products… Read more »

PMS
PMS
Reply to  angie

That may work for you but I suffer from dry skin and scalp and a cracked bleeding tight scalp is not easier. Oils and conditioner are easier for me just like body lotions and oils. So yes ignoring my ashy hair, legs, and scalp would take MAJOR dedication.

angie
angie
Reply to  PMS

If its not a medical condition…drink more water. And that’s my point. Adjusting minor things in your everyday life that are essential to begin with should not have to take dedication, they should be natural. Life is too short to “dedicate” time to physical things. It all starts inside…very deep inside.

I wonder if me saying all this is even worth it?

Britt
Britt
Reply to  angie

…angry much

Ash
Ash
Reply to  angie

Oops, I did not mean to give you a thumbs up. I meant to thumbs down your angry, mean, aggressive, rude ass. Why are you so defensive and angry like it’s your fucking head? Bitch, if water only is easier for you then you do it! Don’t push it on others and force them to believe it is easier. And stop acting like you’re a holistic medical professional, some people actually have bodies that don’t utilize water efficiently like most other people, no matter how much they drink- the body just expels it. Look it the fuck up.

PMS
PMS
Reply to  angie

Yea my water intake is not the issue. You obviously don’t know anything about skin care.

If you run around ashy, musty, hairy, and stanking bc personal hygiene is much easier when you don’t have any. But hey I’m not nocking you if that works for you. Just don’t stand up wind from me.

Trini
Trini
Reply to  angie

I get you on the water intake. A few years ago I challenged myself to drink more water, in addition to making some other dietary changes (no red meat, soda and limit processed food). Anyway, from my standard 1 1/2 litres a day, I gradually increased to 2 1/2, drinking as much as 3 litres sometimes. The difference in my skin and hair has been remarkable. I also do this water only method when I wear braids and noticed that my hair is equally moisturized as when I use some manufactured spray.

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  angie

the ‘masculine approach’ wth?

Jack
Jack
Reply to  angie

Every time I wash my hair it’s get’s super dryer, even a co-wash. All the moisture is rinsed out. I don’t know if you do the method.… I have long type 4 hair. What do you do if the scalp just doesn’t produce a lot of oils and what it does produce just doesn’t get all the way down to my hair. I have a lot a questions about this method. Especially since my hair doesn’t get much natural moisture and is prone to being dry and brittle if I don’t moisturize everyday or every other day.

Kelly
Kelly
Reply to  EllieLo

I would like to try it but I’d have trouble sticking with it, that’s the only problem. I just like the whole don’t use that many products regimen period. I actually think that most of us don’t need more than three or four products anyway and many of us certainly don’t need to use products every day. I just think that generally a simple regimen saves money and time. When I first became a loose natural (I had locs prior), my bathroom looked like a beauty supply store! Then I tried a more natural approach but I’m too lazy and… Read more »

lv
lv

hair is beautiful but, i am a wash and go product junkie with well water (i.e. hard water). Had I started my journey using this method, I may have had a chance, but too late now!!!

Tyler

That afro is gorgeous! And how brave of you try this. Seems like a practice that could make life simpler if perfected.

Tyler
onelittleblackdress.com

marineblue
marineblue

I don’t think this would benefit me because my hair needs chemicals to stay in good shape. If I was to use this I would do that only as a temporary solution in case I was looking for a new hair regimen.
But, it’s an interesting idea regardless.

Brittany. L

A water only method sound good, but at the same time it doesn’yt, the moisture isn’t been sealed in. I feel like my hair will look and start to feel super dry rather quickly. Like I feel like I would constantly have to apply water to my hair.

Check out http://www.curlskinksfashion.com For a mix of Fashion and natural hair
And check out our Instagram account(curlskinksfashion) to learn about a shea moisture Giveaway

luminous
luminous

Her hair looks great. I may try the water only method in the summer. But I LOVE the massage technique.

Sherry23
Sherry23

I tried water and olive oil only for a few months last year. I was totally surprised how much product rinsed out of my hair the first couple of times I washed with water only. By about the third wash my hair was shiny and light feeling. It also had stopped breaking (I had been using some non-protein conditioners but they still had made my hair brittle). It was a fast wash day — rinse and massage scalp well for about 5 minutes, towel dry enough to stop drips and apply about a tablespoon of oil. Style without products. I… Read more »

Dolores
Dolores

I have tried a version of this. I co-washed daily with As I Am coconut co-wash for several months, detangled with a cheapie conditioner, but I did not leave any product in my hair. After the co-washes I would braid my hair in about 7 braids. (My hair was mbl and the type is 4B, mostly medium thickness of strands/density and low porosity). After my hair was completely dry, I wore braid-outs. It worked fine for me, but I was not concerned about length retention and I ultimately moved onto something else because I don’t like dealing with my hair… Read more »

Stephanie
Stephanie

This is genius, the less products the better. We need to understand our hair is fragile, natural hair is not relaxed hair. We have everything we need all this extra stuff is a waste of time and money. The scalp naturally creates oil, ans the messages to get the oil to release down the strand is a genius technique. I only use conditioner and clay in my hair everything else ia water and oil. I can’t wait to try this method, but I wish more women would consider going against all these money stealing products. Less is best!

karen
karen

i think it’s a summer thing for me. in the winter, i only use natural oils. mainly, coconut, castor oil, and spritz with water, and put box braids after work every. spritz with the water before bed. been natural since october 2013, very, very satisfactory results.

Laurie
Laurie

I’ve tried this water-only regimen and it worked for me too. I started spritzing a lil bit of water on my hair everyday, and my hair feels softer, looks healthier and grew quite a bit. And that, with no other products!!!

Amber
Amber

I have been using the water only method on my son’s hair for about six months and his hair has never been softer or curlier. I would try it for myself but for the load of products I own and refuse to waste. I bet if more ppl used this method on their children, especially young children (0–5), their children’s hair would thrive. But then again, you can’t teach some ppl steeped in “tradition” anything new.

mikxtr
mikxtr

I tried over the past month. the first time, I liked how the massage in water method helped with itchy scalp and smell. but I used some coconut oil to help with dryness, only it didn’t help. Finally washed (bar soap, no poo for me) and conditioned and my hair felt FANTASTIC. I’ll try again in a couple weeks. my second time was a little smelly but I got lazy. only lasted a few days.

D SIMONE

Heck yeah id try it but I think its more because of the massage and low manipulation. Her hair is quite thick after so results don’t lie.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

I’m an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of girl ! Bravo if it works for you, but I’ll probably never try it . I don’t have dry scalp, but I don’t think I produce enough oil for my very fine hair which breaks easily,esp if not moisturized. My hair is thriving now after abandoning Qhemet & Shea Moisture in this harsh dry winter air and ‚starting in December, using WEN fig shampoo, Giovanni Direct moisture leave in,sealing with grease ( Dax & Blue Magic in rotation) and deep conditioning & using my steamer. I’m retaining length &… Read more »

angie
angie
Reply to  NubianPrize

eat better..Avocado, nuts, greens, fish, water! Humans are all the same…we process things all the same.

the better you eat, the less products you will need.

Ms. Iknowhair
Ms. Iknowhair
Reply to  angie

We share the fact that we are human, but we do not all process the foods we ingest the same. Everyone’s metabolic rate varies and this can directly effect how our bodies benefit fro, the foods we eat. Yes drinking water is one very important essential to healthier skin and hair, but many people have health conditions that have nothing to do with what they are ingesting. Medications, hereditary traits, skin disorders and auto immune disorders can all play a role in how our hair and skin behave. Less is always more and the scalp massage and water only regime… Read more »

NubianPrize
NubianPrize
Reply to  angie

I eat all that stuff you mentioned on a regular basis, including green drinks I make myself. I’m also a lifetime member of weight watchers since the 70s & always drink a lot of water. I eat like we did in the 60s: REAL FOOD, not that processed non natural junk full of fat, salt & sugar. I seldom eat out due to HUGE portion sizes & the aforementioned fat,salt & sugar. I exercise a lot: hiking,aerobics,weight training & yoga. But I am realistic & old enough to know that humans are biochemically & genetically different & no one thing… Read more »

buddah
buddah

I love this. Will def do for the summer. I too have found that all these products, do nothn for me. I returned to natural jun 2013. First 6 mos has been nothing but trial and error for me. And after hundreds of dollars in product..the only thing that works for my hair is water and oil. Oil bcuz I have color. I kind of treat my hair like a plant. Water the roots( scalp )every two days. Dont care abt shrinkage anymore. Learning to rock it shrunk and then stretch it the next eve with braids or twist.

Chandra

Wow I really like this article it’s different. We are always so overloaded with products to try to get this and that result. It would be nice to have things more simple. If a water only reggie could be perfected or even just water and oil , man that would save a ton of money. Loved this one!

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Chandra

I also thought this article was refreshing for a change of simplicity. There are ao many things we make more harder then they are. If we only went back to what the folks did when life was less saturated with advertisements of get this buy that. Products are not to make our life more simple. Its for the companies to make money off of our lack of control. Once I figured out oil is really all you need its so so enlightening. I bath, cook, brush my teeth,wash my hair with oil. Im sure the same way our ancestors did.

Caramel
Caramel

We’re getting there slowly.….……

Legallynatural2
Legallynatural2

This a great article. This isn’t a new concept either check out weateronlyhairwash.com among others. I have started doing it this week and its not as bad as it sounds, its really liberating as I am tired of these products all over the house. I don’t use stuff in my daughters hair just spritz with water and it looks great! I appreciate all comments here and its great to learn what is working in the Natural hair world.

Legallynatural2
Legallynatural2

correction wateronlyhairwash.com

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren

It’s an interesting concept, although I’m not sure it would work for me, but I’m game to give it a go.

Meliieboo
Meliieboo

The link doesn’t take me to a site. But I found a great vlogger on youtube by the same name. Thanks for the tip.

And thanks for this article Barbara!
There is not much info online about this method for kinky-curly afro hair, that is easily accessible. So I greatly appreciate your doing this video!

TMC toronto meetup march 29th

there’s a reason why this works on straight white hair. though i don’t see how water can wash out the dirt and grease on one’s scalp. I wonder what Jc of Natural Haven has to say about this. 🙂
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren

If you aren’t adding grease to your hair, then there is no grease to remove. Besides, unless someone is throwing dirt in the air and it lands on my head, I’ve never actually seen dirt on my scalp.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  bsbfankaren

you gave the answer I would have with far fewer words, lol.

Meliieboo
Meliieboo
Reply to  bsbfankaren

But the sebum is grease produced by our scalp, as far as I understand…

SeriouslyConfused
SeriouslyConfused
Reply to  Meliieboo

…you do realize that the reason curly hair is dry is because the sebum has trouble traveling down the hair shaft. Why would you be concerned with trying to seriously get rid of it?

chalise
chalise
Reply to  Meliieboo

it is, but i don’t think sebum production for most of us is so much that it would necessarily require shampoo to remove it. i know i went a week without washing once, and my scalp was no more noticeably greasy. if anything, it was just as dry as it always was.

Blanca
Blanca
Reply to  bsbfankaren

Have you ever worked in a store and have to clean the bathroom? I don’t ever see dirt on my hands, or other women’s hands either. But I have to scrub it off the sink every night and I see it in in my washing machine water. Dirt gets around hun.

Mayaah
Mayaah

Seems interesting but I would not try it, cause my 4C hair is dry.

Vee
Vee
Reply to  Mayaah

Im 4c, and I have been doing this for 2 months. It works, and ti works well. The only thing, I have added was a mix of castor and argon oil to the last 2–3 inches of my hair, since it is winter, and in Canada that actually means something. Similar to the heat in the summer in the southern states. I have also added in ACV rinses every other week, and my scalp is just fine, my hair is moisturized, and I rarely have dry hair feeling. The main thing to do, is drink lots of water, that’s the… Read more »

Hannah
Hannah
Reply to  Mayaah

I agree with Vee — it definitely works! I tried it for a few weeks and got lazy, but in that short time my fine strands became so much thicker, and it was amazing to be able to rely on my own sebum 🙂 I’m returning to this method now. Take a leap, try it out for a month. You don’t have to get married to the technique, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

LiGlisa Chae
LiGlisa Chae
Reply to  Hannah

I just started and it’s working working for me. I actually am surprised how much it’s working. How soft not kinky and hard my hair is. I will continue through the end of the year with this. If the improvement continues, I will keep doing it.

Cassie Cooper
Cassie Cooper
Reply to  Mayaah

I have 4c hair as well. I am currently using this method. mind you I am early in but it is working thus far. i had the same reservation but glad i took the plunge.

Charise Wynter
Charise Wynter

I’ve been at it for a few weeks. I’m confident that this may be a superior way to moisturize, though it can be time consuming at first.

Audra
Audra

I did the water-only regime, too. Not by choice. I had surgery and couldn’t put anything on my scalp or hair FOR TWO MONTHS. My routine was using water only DAILY and two-strand twisting my hair at night. When I could finally shampoo, they advised me to use baby shampoo. I used unscented liquid black soap instead. My hair grew like crazy-from collarbone length to armpit length.

lex
lex

Just like with changing a diet, I’d have to take baby steps. I don’t dispute the theory at all as it aligns with my interest that the body is smarter than we think it is so just let it be. With that mindset I’ve started cutting out a lot of extra crap that growing up I thought we had to have. Due to financial reasons, I did at one point only have coconut oil, castor oil, and water to put on my head and it was soft. It didn’t last long though so I’d be worried about the next six… Read more »

Tanya
Tanya

I’m seriously considering trying this. From what I understand, this helps with moisture retention and hair softness because as you work the sebum down the hair shaft (and it takes time to achieve full coverage–like weeks), the hair retains moisture very well. I also heard that it keeps the hair very soft, and it no longer feels dry and hard once full coverage has been achieved. The youtuber I have watched who does it has quite long type 4 (b or c?) hair.

Pinapplegrl
Pinapplegrl

Nah..too much work. And if you already have a simple regime that works why change it?
But good luck to those attempting this

I don’t know why the words “sebum massage” sounded weird to me :/

nicole
nicole

Hi , i like to know when you water only washed your hair did you use styling products after ? ( sorry for my English i’m french girl )

Cherie
Cherie

I’m trying this, starting today! I’ve been intrigued by this topic all week and I’m so excited about it! I’m a minimalist at heart and the less I need to do, the better, in my opinion. I’ve watched some other YouTubers (Wateronlywashing among others) and they’ve also seemed to get very good results from this method. I’ve stopped using products on my face and I’ve only gotten good results from doing so, so I don’t expect doing the same with my hair to be any different. Thank you so much for sharing! I would not have thought it was possible,… Read more »

curlyBlue
curlyBlue

What type of water are we using? Water from the faucet or filtered water

Hannah
Hannah
Reply to  curlyBlue

Water from the faucet should be fine, but if your place has hard water it would be advisable to have a filter.

Candy
Candy

Ive done this and girls it WORKS!!! I LOVE the water only method, it leaves my hair very soft and shiny!! I had the AWFUL idea to use products like 2 weeks ago after months of only doing the water only and I regretted it right away, products give me soft hair and shine for a few days but after that hair begins to become dry. not so with the water only method(at least for me) my hair was always so soft! Sebum and water are the best moisturizing for my hair and Im pretty sure if others tried it… Read more »

Abi
Abi
Reply to  Candy

I am thinking about trying it, in my opinion my hair is so easy to detangle when wet with comb but with my fingers I feel like I could be breaking it when combing through it and running into knots… Also my Mother saying the water only method is nasty and how my hair would smell, I need to definitely do research

Ellie
Ellie

Hot or cold water?

Cherie
Cherie
Reply to  Ellie

Hot water allows the sebum to more effectively move down the hair strands

EniBee
EniBee

Can this be done when your hair is twisted with extensions?

Jus_Browsin
Jus_Browsin
Reply to  EniBee

Questions answered here (I think)

However, its possible to wash hair with twists (can’t remember which vid she explained how).

lynda
lynda

Can i try this on a 5month transitioned hair?

Hannah
Hannah

Water-only is the future! I love this method. I encourage you all to at least give it a shot — it’s totally worth it.

onyinyechi
onyinyechi

Good that this works for you. I think it is time for a chemist to get to work and find a way to manufacture sebum in the lab, I might buy that ish or If anyone produces excess sebum and doesnt mind selling.…and no jojoba oil is not the same thing. For now though, if it (my haircare regimen) aint broke, I am not fixing it.

Pebblesnbambam4evr
Pebblesnbambam4evr

You have beautiful eyebrows! Furthermore you are not just merely pretty, you are a handsome woman with an elegant, aristocratic face. You look like an actress who can play a Queen. You just have that royal face. But anyway, I’ve tried this no-product thing when I started as a natural about 10 years ago. I have 3c/4a hair that doesn’t grow very long at all. I think t he water and steaming effect works just as good as the products. Some people can’t believe that hair can grow without using product, but really, what is better and more natural than… Read more »

Dee
Dee

I would think that this would only work for people that have soft water, a water softening system or is prepared to buy distilled water? I was checking naturals doing the hard water test and can’t really tell without the ph strips. It’s an interesting concept though, and I recently saw a natural hair youtuber that went to beauty school that was more diverse because she didn’t think the majority of black beauty schools taught about the overall health of hair over styling. She also endorsed water only except for the last few inches to be sealed in a moisturizing… Read more »

nina78
nina78
Reply to  Dee

Good point. I have hard water and it tears my hair apart. 🙁

Princess
Princess

Typical responses from people in denial of their product addiction and unrealistic hair expectations. Someone tried something with the evidence that it works and enough naysayers have reasons for why it won’t work for them without even trying… Smh

jausserehl

I do want to try this especially as i already only ever wash my hair once a month. Its the massaging bit is what i may just be lazy about tho. But its def something i would try once im done with my current products

Lou
Lou

I just moved and tossed all my products but coconut oil so I’m going to give this a try.

Simple Natural
Simple Natural

I will definitely give it a try, as to be quite honest, I love my hair (my big ass afro, like my partner always refer to it) but the only thing I dread once a week is washing it. From making my own natural hair treatment from the kitchen, detangling my hair, sectioning it, washing it, applying hair treatment, the waiting game, rinsing it out, detangling again then lastly moisturising and sectioning in twist, this could take about 2–3hours. If I can minimise this with only water, massage,detangle & twist, I wouldn’t mind trying it every other day or twice… Read more »

Veronica
Veronica
Reply to  Simple Natural

I think I would get too much of a build-up of sebum and oil. I know man came before shampoo, so water is a call back to nature but I don’t trust myself to get rid of all of the scalp gunk. However, the simplicity of this regimen is what appeals to me. There is a YouTube vlogger named 22nd Century Woman who only uses vinegar as conditioner. Sometimes she only uses cornstarch or vinegar to clean her hair. Other than that, she uses homemade shampoo bars. She has waist length hair. So less is more.

Nialynhayes
Nialynhayes

Amazing, I have fought my natural for the last 15 years and maybe about 5 or 6 before then. This morning washed with water only. A little honey. Hair and scalp both feel great. My hair is 4c and breaks constantly. After using this method the hair was calm, stayed loose and the ends neither my scalp felt inflamed. I hope this method continues to work. Thank your for an excellent article and your beautiful hair.

Skylor
Skylor

It’s funny how I came across this article. I (a guy) have been trying to grow my hair but using products like shea, tea tree, etc make my hair feel soft for a period then eventually dry out. My hair is always in the best condition after I wash it and use a comb to scratch it gently. While I don’t have the curl pattern I like, my hair feels great and I usually catch myself playing and twisting it. I randomly thought to Google “natural hair just water” and this comes up. Talk about confirmation! Nice post!

LiGlisa Chae
LiGlisa Chae

When I first heard about this, I thought what many probably did. Is it possible to wash without product with a good result, w/o drying and breakage? Then, I thought, when God created us, products weren’t created with us. Just us and all God’s earth. What did they do then? Then, I thought it was possible. Now I’m living possible since I am now on this method.

Ali
Ali
Reply to  LiGlisa Chae

exactly what i said haha

BlueCornMoon
BlueCornMoon
Reply to  Ali

Amen to that! I grew up reading National Geographic & I saw those matted unkempt heads!

NattyGyrl
NattyGyrl
Reply to  LiGlisa Chae

Lol we had the products of the earth, juices and berries. &Our hair didnt get dry bcuz everything was perfect haha

Jones
Jones
Reply to  NattyGyrl

have you seen what aboriginal people look like or street people in Africa? there’s a reason that many tribal people wear their hair short. unkempt hair looks matted and tangled. no thank you.

Rose
Reply to  LiGlisa Chae

You are so right about the part God did not create us with products. This human body is equipped with so many wonders.

DeeDee
DeeDee

Hi there pretty sure you’ll be just fine using a light leave in or a light oil like jojoba or avacado. But remember to wash the next day and you can clarify you want just not to often as you don’t want to dry out your hair. Hoped I helped?

fulani
fulani

Water only on 4c hair and no oil? Simple chemistry water evaporates and shrinks and breaks your hair oil does not. Water and oil do not mix, do the experiment lol.

trackback

[…] Frotastic & her Water Washed hair Source […]

LynnA
LynnA

Hi ladies!! Does anyone know if it is okay to use a leave in after water washing? I wanted to wear a braid out and added a leave in. Do I have to clarify and start over or is that okay to do? Thank you!!

Elizabeth Venable
Elizabeth Venable

I always wondered what black hair looked like in its truly natural state…no product, braids, anything. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.