Top Model Yaya DaCosta Instagrams Breastfeeding Photos to #NormalizeNursing

Avatar • Mar 21, 2014

YaYa-Decosta-breastfeeding

YaYa-Decosta-breastfeeding-2

A couple days ago, model and new mom, Yaya DaCosta Alafia uploaded photos of herself breastfeeding 6‑month-old son Sankara to her instagram account with the hashtag #NormalizeNursing. Yaya shared that she is standing in solidarity with model Ashley Nicole, who faced heavy backlash for posting a breastfeeding photo to Instagram a few weeks ago.

Yaya captioned the photos with the following

i know i’m mad late, but i haven’t been on the computer much lately. just heard about the uproar over @ash3nicole pic & had to post a copycat photo in solidarity. hope you don’t mind, beautiful sistren. i’m so proud of you and stand by you! #breastisbest #whattheyaremadefor #getoverit #mamasunite #movement

hubby was like “you can’t see your face!” re: yesterday’s picture. so here’s the other version. why not post #oneaday? vitamins for society! #normalizenursing

Isn’t she glowing? What are your thoughts on the movement to normalize breastfeeding? (And is her hair not insanely gorgeous?!)

juanicole617
juanicole617

I wish I looked this good breastfeeding. Lol! I hope this does become normal because trust me, this isn’t the simplest thing to do. If I had more support I would’ve breastfed my daughter for longer than a month. If you’re physically able to breastfeed I’d say go ahead and do so. #breastisbest

kerisha

breast fed all 5 of my kids and got to do it a long time, because I was a stay at home mom no wick office for formula, this is free and without hassle ‚got one more on the way and will breast feed wherever when ever , the need arises . maybe people are more upset thats its more for self agrandising than to normalize breast feeding in public. but to each his own I am not disgusted or turned off if I see a woman breast feeding uncovered in public,the breast is best and better I.Qs to boot,not… Read more »

Reply to  kerisha

Congratulations! Best wishes to you for a healthy pregnancy, delivery, and baby. I’m mom to 4 and still breastfeeding after 16 months. Remember vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Godspeed for your pregnancy and delivery!

Reply to  momofIV

thanks momofiv this one is the last 8 years between the old baby and the new new baby ‚don’t have to tell you what happened there lol, though unexpected very welcomed just a bit sad he or she wont have siblings close in age ‚my older kids are each others playmates and confidants and this baby may not have the same , anyway on to happier things thanks for the well wishes.

Reply to  kerisha

I feel you Kerisha, my two oldest ones are 14 and 11 and my two youngest are 40 months and 16 months (girls and boys respectively). I breastfed all of them. With my youngest two children, I’ve been a stay at home mom. It is a blessing to be home and care for family and have a husband who is 100% supportive of my being a mother…With my oldest two I was a single mom and they were in daycare while I worked and I felt terrible having to leave them with strangers. So, I truly appreciate being able to… Read more »

cacey
cacey

it’s a beautiful thing. i always felt bashful about public nursing myself, so i would always try to find a quiet place away from random people when i breastfed my son, but luckily for me i was mostly home with him anyway and tried to feed him before going out, so it wouldn’t be an issue. And if we did go out i’d pump (sometimes) so we would have bottles on hand. I nursed for a year, and would totally do it again. I love that there’s a normalizing movement going on right now, to support those who do breastfeed… Read more »

Crene'e
Crene'e

I don’t have a problem with it because yes it is extremely healthy for the child, BUT if I saw someone breastfeeding their baby like she is (uncovered), I’m going to honest I would be upset. I think if a woman is in public she should be covered and I think this type of breastfeeding should be done in the privacy of your home. I breastfed my oldest only for a month, I didn’t feel comfortable at all. I strictly bottle fed my second daughter and they both turned out fine.

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Crene'e

I agree breast feeding is normal but cover up in public. And if you dont cover up her nor her husband can be mad when fuys are staring at her chest. Its just called modesty. I mean really. I breast fed and bottle fed. If your gonna feed in public use a cover up. Breast feeding is great but it is not an excuse to walk around topless all for the shake of “my Child”. Just say you wanna show the world your boobs and have no one say anything to you because now your a mommy.

Crene'e
Crene'e
Reply to  Crene'e

Thank you!! And once again this is my opinion and how I FEEL ABOUT IT!!!!!

Stella
Stella
Reply to  Crene'e

Dear Sweet Rachel and Crene’e, You are both praising that of which is completely legal. As a matter of fact, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, “Forty-five states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location,” and “Twenty-eight states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws.” So even if you got so upset seeing a breastfeeding mother at a restaurant that you wanted to get her kicked out, there’s a 90% chance that the management can’t do… Read more »

Stella
Stella
Reply to  Stella

And by praising I meant condemning.

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Stella

If a women is breast feeding in public thats her business. I will still think its lascivious and sinful. But people can do whatever they want. I dont care what the law says is legal i dont have to agree with it and i dont. Just like gay marriage i dont agree with it and its becoming legal but i dont like it i think its nasty and sinful just like pulling your boobs out in public for any reason. can i stop people from doing it no but that does not mean i have to go along with it… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Rachel

You are indeed entitled to your opinion, but holding a certain opinion doesn’t make you right. In the US, it used to be socially acceptable to publicly discriminate against people based upon their skin color and nationality (it still is in some places). People who were okay with that kind of thinking also tended to hold an opinion that non-White people are inferior to White people. Obviously, that opinion is wrong, just like your opinion on gay marriage. I love how people validate their incorrect opinions by saying certain things are “sinful”. What exactly did God make boobs for again?

Likumbi
Likumbi
Reply to  Rachel

Wow “lascivious and sinful”…judgemental much? Also don’t those words apply more to the thoughts of people who cannot differentiate between a body part that provides sustenance for babaies and a sex object?

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Rachel

What’s sinful it’s letting your baby go hungry because you are a prude. BTW have you seen the women of some tribes in Africa?? Are they sinful too in your book?? You need to get off that high horse.

cacey
cacey

i was gonna, but i just CAN’T. :/

Crene'e
Crene'e
Reply to  Rachel

Rachel I’m 100% with you. It’s our opinion and that’s just how we feel. I don’t care what anyone says if I saw a woman outside the privacy of her own home breastfeeding her baby the way YAya is in this photo I would be disgusted. She can definitely do this in a more discreet way.

Adetta
Adetta
Reply to  Rachel

In what religion would breastfeeding be sinful? I’m Muslim and it is not sinful in Islam to breastfeed. It is the right of the child to be breastfeed for 2 years, yes 2 years. You can choose not to breastfeed for the entire 2 years, but it is better for the child. Children have rights and parents are responsible for giving them their rights.

shy scarlett
Reply to  Rachel

Homophobia is just the same as racism,and gay people can’t help being gay just like we can’t help being black!

PMS
PMS
Reply to  Rachel

You do know Eve breastfed all of her children!? Sinful I need a Scripture!!!!

sunsetsista
sunsetsista
Reply to  Rachel

@shy scarlett “Homophobia is just the same as racism,and gay people can’t help being gay just like we can’t help being black!” I have to disagree.…Even if you disagree with the homosexual lifestyle you are called a “homophobe”…which is ridiculous. You are born black and you die black. I never heard of a baby born gay. I say to each their own…but it bothers me when people compare EVERYTHING black people have been through in this country for hundreds of years to the homosexual movement. I don’t recall gay only waterfountains. Or gays being told to sit at the back… Read more »

Kristel
Reply to  Rachel

Breast feeding in public would be sinfull? That is if you look at breasts as a sexual thing and that is what men made of them. There are commercials where breasts are being used to sell shampoo an hamburgers, things that have absolutly nothing to do with womans breasts. No wonder that a lot of woman themself see it as sinful. I think there is nothing wrong with a woman breastfeeding in public, breasts are made for: to feed your child. that an society made it something you should be ashamed for aint right. If a man can make a difference… Read more »

Sasha
Sasha
Reply to  Stella

Personally, even though it’s legal I would want to cover up. By breastfeeding in public and uncovered I risk getting a lot of attention from curious kids/teens or sexually perverted adults, this would definitely affect my baby while he/is is breastfeeding. Additionally,I wouldn’t show off my breasts normally and accordingly I wouldn’t either with my baby attached to my nipple.

Sasha
Sasha
Reply to  Sasha

Additionally, I just asked a few adult male friends how would they feel if they saw a woman breastfeeding in public. They stated “as a man I just won’t be able to help myself from staring at her breasts as I would a stripper,” “there’s no reason why she can’t cover up, I can’t look at this woman as a [good girl] or a person that’s morally inclined.”

Jazz
Jazz
Reply to  Sasha

Sasha I agree with you. I breastfed my 5 children each over 1 year. I always fed them while at the mall, in the doctors office, wherever. But, no one knew that my baby was eating because I did it modestly. Breast is best. Breastfeeding is normal, but it can be done comfortably and easily with baby and boobies covered up. Overall I am pleased to see many celebrities promoting breastfeeding because many people are still ignorant to it’s benefits.

boyhead
boyhead

Lol…I was breastfed for 3 almost 4 years…yep, and I’m 40. So my mom was hip to this 40+ years ago. So, it’s nothing new…

Elle
Elle
Reply to  boyhead

Right?!
I’m a child of the 70s and 80s and my mom’s boobs were OUT and flanging along with all her other friends, everywhere! My grandmother and her generation did it without covering up — and she’s Pentecostal, Lol! I know there was a movement to practically outlaw breastfeeding in public, or at all due to GREEDY formula providers teamed up with the evil American Medical Association in the 1980s. However, bringing breastfeeding back to the forefront has been going on for the past 20 years, just ask your crunchy White friends.

Black Girl With Long Hair
Reply to  Elle

#dead at “OUT and flanging” LOL!!!

Rachel
Rachel
Reply to  Elle

If your grandma was really saved/pentecostal she would not have been doing that in public. Being a mom is no excuse to have your chest out. God created the breast for one of those purposes but showing your breast in public that is also gonna cause a man to lust and that is sin on her side and the man.

Stella
Stella
Reply to  Rachel

We live in a society where breasts are oversexualized to the point where a child getting nutrients and bonding is considered sexual… well, at least to your outlook.Your comment is actually fueling the fire in our nation’s view on sexualizing natural things that should not be sexualized. “Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice with her in joy, all you who mourn over her; that you may nurse and be satisfied from her consoling breast; that you may drink deeply with delight from her glorious abundance.” For thus says the Lord: “Behold, I… Read more »

Reply to  Stella

hi stella even scripture approves,a bare breast while breast feeding is not sinful,i did not think to bring scripture thanks for the scriptural reinforcement.

Delis
Delis
Reply to  Rachel

Rachel, sadly you’re an example of what happens when religious thinking rots the brain and replaces common sense. First, how on earth are you equating breast feeding with gay marriage? Secondly, how are you placing the burden of sin on a woman for a man lusting after her if she is breast feeding? I can only conclude you’re either INCREDIBLY immature or INCREDIBLY misguided. Whichever it is inside your head must be a truly sad and miserable place to be.

nicole
nicole
Reply to  Rachel

Rachel seriously… Where has “the black church” gotten you? What kind of car does your Pentecostal preacher drive? What percentage of the women are single and serving in the ministries? Im over you guys trying to make everything about you. Gosh you are so judgemental who are you to say who is saved and who isnt??

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Rachel

Watch out people, it’s the prude police.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Rachel

what the HELL?! if that male creature is such a stupid horny jerkoff that he can’t control himself and his thoughts at the sight of a mother feeding her baby then the problem is HIM, not HER/THEM.

Karen
Karen

I don’t know why there is an uproar or why it isn’t already normalized. I’m not a mother but if I’m able to become one physically I want to breast feed my child or at least try to because I know some women have a hard time getting the baby to latch and it can also be painful. I dont believe I’d do it in public but to each her own.

May
May
Reply to  Karen

It’s normal to publicly breastfeed in a lot of countries, but the modern world has really sexualized breasts to the extent where it seems scandalous to do so.

Reply to  May

So true…breasts weren’t designed to feed men or for men to gawk at, they were designed to continue life for a baby through nourishment. I think breastfeeding is beautiful and awesome. Not every woman can breastfeed. I feel sorry for any mother who cannot breastfeed her child(ren) and even worse for the child who never receives the life-affirming milk. I think a lot of those men who have sexualized breasts probably weren’t breastfed enough or at all as babies.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  Karen

So many people have their breast, butts, stomach, etc. for no other purpose then to show off their stuff. Why get upset when a mother pulls her breast out for the sole purpose to feed her child? Breast on TV, butts flapping around in videos. The picture is in good taste, lovely mother and child, perhaps we need to send more pictures like this. I can think of a lot more things to be grossed out about.

Bhamanon
Bhamanon

Breastfeeding is one of the most unselfish things you can do for your child, if you are physically able and your circumstances permit. It is very hard in the beginning but if you stick with it, it becomes very natural and easy to do. I fortunately stayed at home with my daughter and breastfed her for a full year. But everyone is not able to do this for various reasons. As far as breastfeeding in public totally uncovered, I think that if you are in a place where you wouldn’t normally flash your breasts at everyone, then you can still… Read more »

Ebony Beauty
Ebony Beauty
Reply to  Bhamanon

Thank you. It’s practically the same thing. If you won’t flash your breast in the mall why use your child as an excuse ‑yes, excuse- to do it? A child can be fed and covered up. It’s not about trying to go against breastfeeding mothers. It’s a little thing called modesty and respect for others. Everyone doesn’t want to see your full on breast. And btw this is coming from a mother who breastfed both sons until they were nearly two and currently breastfeeding my daughter.

making waves
making waves

Good for her. Americans have this warped mentality that breats are only sexual.

Andie
Andie

There isn’t too much that I don’t love about this picture. It’s beautiful!

Candy
Candy

DAMN she’s hot! O.O sorry I couldn’t help it!…Hope I look that good after having a baby haha!

Maryse
Maryse

There are many things natural in the world, a lot of which we do not share with the world. I don’t think this is about normalizing breast feeding as opposed to formula, but I think is that it needs to be normal to breastfeed our child in public of which I am not a proponent. In the sense that the baby is crying and just like that you pop out a boob. A scarf ok, but all out I say nay.

Reply to  Maryse

I personally used a baby blanket when I was breast feeding outside of my home, however it in no way offends me if women and many do across the world take out a bare breast to feed their child. what about that is so offensive to you and others who think like you when it comes to feeding an infant?

Bhamanon
Bhamanon
Reply to  kerisha

It is not offensive to me and doesn’t bother me at all if someone is breastfeeding their child in front of me without a cover. But that’s me. I am a mother who also breastfed and I think it’s great. But … When I was in public I covered up, not because I was ashamed of what I was doing or trying to hide it or whatever. For me it was simply a matter of respect for others and how they might feel about seeing my breasts or their husband or boyfriend seeing me exposed. I was never accustomed to… Read more »

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Maryse

Here a tip for you and everyone else who is “uncomfortable” with nursing in public: Don’t look. No one is forcing you to look. Go on about your business, there’s no need to stare and be offended.

Felicia
Felicia

Because breasts are so sexualized, I would prefer not to bare my breasts and I know it would make a lot of people uncomfortable. But I’m sure a lot of men and lesbos would love it and probably try to push for it.

Karen
Karen
Reply to  Felicia

Oh get the f out of here. This lesbo ain’t interested in your breasts or your ignorance, go sit down and please don’t procreate.

Tay
Tay

I just think it’s funny (for lack of a better word), how our society LOVES breasts until we see a baby being breasfed than it’s like “ew gross”. But I digress.

Reply to  Tay

Tay, unfortunately, for many in our society, the priority is placed on the man’s desire for the breast instead of the child’s need for breast milk.

Shannon
Shannon

Felicia you seriously think men & lesbians walk around looking at breasts all day!??? Don’t be so ignorant!

Anon87
Anon87

Personally Id feel uncomfortable seeing a women’s breast in public. I’m not “against” it, but yes, because breasts and the naked body is so sexualised in this part of the world, it is a bit uncomfortable to see in public, no matter how normal it is. Personally, I would do it discreetly or cover with a blanket (not really for other people, but to feel comfortable myself, I don’t want my bits out for others to see lol). Again, I don’t have a “problem” with woman who breast feed in public, that’s their choice! But when I see it, I… Read more »

Flynfab
Flynfab

I think this is more about breastfeeding in public rather than breastfeeding in general. Interesting thing about these photos is that they are in support of public breast feeding; but the photos are staged in the comfort(and safety?) of each woman’s home or a photography studio. And who breast feeds standing up? If you really want to make a statement, that’s cool but breastfeed out in public because that’s where the controversy is. Not a cheesing pic in your living room. Yes breast feeding is natural. I’ll just put it out there- If any other mother who isn’t flatchested bares… Read more »

Hansy
Hansy
Reply to  Flynfab

Even if she is in her house she is sharing the picture of the public.

Sophie
Sophie

Lovely pictures (and great hair), but I agree with people who say that it would be best for someone to cover a little while breast feeding in a public place (baby blanket, etc). I do have a problem with people getting all squeamish over the implication of breast feeding even when nothing is showing, but I don’t necessarily think everyone should be able to whip out the boob without anyone noticing. Breasts are sexualized, and they attract attention. I personally don’t feel uncomfortable about it, but I think it’s considerate to cover for people who do feel uncomfortable, and its… Read more »

Flynfab
Flynfab
Reply to  Sophie

And to clarify when I say breastfeeding in public I’m talking about without a cover as Yaya is.

Andrea Taylor
Andrea Taylor

I couldn’t breastfeed my 2 kids but I did pump my milk out for them. They never latched on. I considered my milk as liquid gold. I was very proud to give my babies my milk. The health benefits r huge for that reason alone. I wish more black women would breastfeed their babies. Sadly I was the only one in my family to give my kids my milk and got some heat for it. Congrats to her for choosing to breastfeed her baby.

Reply to  Andrea Taylor

I applaud you, Andrea, for your efforts and hard work to give your babies their “liquid gold”. I remember pumping at work and my job had to set aside accommodations for me and at times it was challenging, but I did it because I wanted my baby to have his “liquid gold” even when I wasn’t home. I know pumping around the clock is hard and that showed your dedication to give your children the best of you…from you. Yes, more black women need to nurse and get off the formula crack we give to our precious babies…even if a… Read more »

Really?
Really?
Reply to  momofIV

Now, see…this is a double standard in my opinion. Just as mothers who breastfeed should not be judged, neither should mothers who choose formula for whatever reason. It’s nice that your job provided special accommodations for you, but not all women have that privilege.

Formula is NOT “junk food.” The attack on mothers who choose formula is ridiculous…and this is coming from a woman who breastfed.

Reply to  Really?

@Really? How is commenting on the positives of breastfeeding a double standard? No one is attacking anyone. FYI, formula IS junk food. Have you read the ingredients? It’s full of GMO foods, Corn Syrup Solids, vegetable oil, sugars, carageenan, cow milk, soy protein, sodium selenate, casein hydrolysate, etc…basically sugar, processed whey, chemicals, and chemicals in the names of vitamins (because it’s cheaper). Even contaminants such as melamine, dioxins, and rocket fuel has been found in baby formula.…lord knows what will be found next. Rocket fuel is the contaminant from cow milk where rocket fuel leaked into the waterways and agricultural… Read more »

Karen
Karen
Reply to  Andrea Taylor

Wow. Good for you. I don’t know why anyone would be against you feeding your children your milk. That’s what your body produces it for, their consumption. Odd.

Popo
Popo

Only in Murica

Renee
Renee

I have no problem with breastfeeding — in public or at home. The problem
cant be that you can see the woman’s breast. I see more breast walking down the street, on the covers of magazines, and on public transportation. And sadly at work. I have never seen a woman breastfeed in public without covering up somehow. You know what is insulting to me; young men walking around with their pants hanging off their a**es, put a f’n belt on.

Really?
Really?
Reply to  Renee

Yes, every woman I have ever seen breastfeeding in America was covered with a light blanket or burping cloth. MOST women are modest by nature and don’t have their breasts hanging out, whether breastfeeding or not. It is these attention-seeking models who want their breasts shown on Instagram for attention…I mean, who was really checking for Yaya before this controversy?

Renee
Renee

I have no problem with breastfeeding — in public or at home. The problem
cant be that you can see the woman’s breast. I see more breast walking down the street, on the covers of magazines, public transportation, and sadly at work. I have never seen a woman breastfeed in public without covering up somehow. You know what is insulting to me; young men walking around with their pants hanging off their a**es, put a f’n belt on.

Dawn
Dawn

I think this is beautiful, but it is also sad.That we need a movement to normalize what is so normal.Absolutely repulsive that the commenters who are also women say these nasty things.I look forward to that day when we are all comfortable enough with our own lives and beliefs that we no longer feel a need to belittle someone else’s.Because she and no other mother is committing a crime by breastfeeding their babies.Regardless of your ‘opinions’.

Paula
Paula

I breastfeed my 3 sons for a total of about 30 months altogether, and I am a fierce advocate of the practice. If we care about family finances and children’s health, it’s a no-brainer. There are some moms for whom this is not possible, but contrary to popular belief, they are very, very few and far between. Anyway, they’re great photos and of course, Yaya is nothing short of stunning but I don’t think these pics normalize breastfeeding. I think that if anything, they do the opposite — posing for a breastfeeding picture suggests that it is more of an… Read more »

Sasha
Sasha
Reply to  Paula

Thank You, I completely agree.

Kudzi
Kudzi
Reply to  Paula

Yes, I wouldn’t adopt that pose to bf my little boy but I have a couple of friends who found it easier & more comfy. Really coz their little ones preferred it. Gotta do what works for you & every situation is different x

Reuben
Reuben
Reply to  Kudzi

I respect the right of a woman to breastfeed her child anywhere she wants but what about the right of a man to urinate in public without being sent to jail and put on the sex offender registry? When you gotta go, you gotta go. What makes public urination a sexual crime while breastfeeding is seen as natural and acceptable? I don’t support bashing women for exercising their freedom to breastfeed in public but I am sure any man that bashed those moms resent the double standard in this society of criminalizing men for acts that would be considered “rights”… Read more »

Che
Che
Reply to  Reuben

Not the same.

Reuben
Reuben
Reply to  Che

Oh so you are saying that a woman can flash her boobs out to breast feed a baby (natural thing), but a man can’t whip his out to pee (a natural thing). Why not? If you see a man peeing (a natural thing) in public you would call that indecent whether he REALLY had to go or not and couldn’t hold it. But it’s ok for a woman to whip her boobs out to feed a child that really needs it. See how ignorant you sound?

Reuben
Reuben
Reply to  Reuben

P.S. What would you think if you saw a man peeing in public (and he had nowhere else to do)? Would you find that sexual? If so, why? He’s not doing anything sexual. He’s doing what his body was mean for. Us guys can’t pee into a bottle and save it for later and use it. Women can do that with their breast milk. So why do it in public? Too lazy? Yeah, they really love their kids — right! When I’m out in public I don’t want to see a woman breastfeeding anymore than you wouldn’t want to see… Read more »

Aico
Aico
Reply to  Paula

This is the best damn comment ever.

nappy headed black girl

I couldn’t care less about the breastfeeding uproar. I’m just mesmerized by her hair *drool*

LBell
LBell

THANK YOU!!! OMG…I’m just like, “Can we focus on that gorgeous mane??”

I’m a little over a week away from a “fa REAL fa real” trim — it’s still going to be done by me but I’m not focusing on keeping length; if it’s damaged it’s going, point blank period — and as soon as I do that I’m going back to my kinda-sorta WNGs. These photos are inspiring me!

Honeybrown1976
Honeybrown1976

I miss nursing my children. They are older now. But, I loved it! Go Yaya!

Ash
Ash
Reply to  Honeybrown1976

Sick fuck.

Marybelle
Marybelle
Reply to  Ash

I agree Ash. Who enjoys nursing? Think about it. You’re right she’s sick.

Marybelle
Marybelle
Reply to  Marybelle

Hey guess what? Some people do enjoy it. sick, but they do. Check out this short video (below) and this is for all of you idiots who are for public breastfeeding:

tamara
tamara

I think breast feeding is both beneficial and nutritious for the baby; I myself gave all my children breast milk. If you need to feed your child in public then do it, the child is hungry. What I don’t agree with, are women breastfeeding their children in public, and don’t have the decency to cover up. Regardless of the reason why your breast are being exposed, they still are being shown to the public which is still showing your nakedness. If you must breastfeed outside, do it discretely. I think that is wear women get it twisted and it is… Read more »

Penny
Penny
Reply to  tamara

I truly agree with you Penny!

Really?
Really?

I think a lot of the uproar over breastfeeding is manufactured by these attention-seeking models. (Giselle is another one who makes a big deal out of breastfeeding.) I’m a working mom and I breastfed my son. It was not a big deal. Just feed your baby and move on.

Camille in Brooklyn
Camille in Brooklyn
Reply to  Really?

Unfortunately, it *is* a big deal. I remember a few years back when Beyonce breastfed Blue Ivy when she was out at a restaurant and she caught hell for it. Much like natural hair, a lot of people need to be out and about showing it is a beautiful and viable option so that it can be re-normalized.

stephanie
stephanie

I think it’s inappropriate and unnecessary to make a display of yourself and your child in one of your most intimate moments that you two will ever experience.

Carla
Carla
Reply to  stephanie

It really is about normalizing so it is as natural as breathing. A hungry child is a hungry child and a breast full of milk is the answer, not a show.

Laura
Laura
Reply to  Carla

i never used to see anyone breastfeeding in public until it became controversial to do it and then anyone with a baby and a set of boobs was doing it. so i’m sorry but people can’t tell me these women aren’t doing it for the attention because they are, maybe not all of them but a good number of them. it’s natural yes but so is peeing but we don’t do that where ever we feel like, well most of us don’t anyway

Beverly
Beverly
Reply to  stephanie

I agree with you Stephanie. Why display yourself when you know how society looks at you. There’s a lot of sickos out there.

Jenn
Jenn
Reply to  stephanie

I completely agree. once my son was born, i had to share him with the world. but breast feeding my son was the one thing only i could do for him. i didn’t want to share that with anyone.

Leslie
Leslie
Reply to  Jenn

Same here. I didn’t want everyone sharing that beautiful part of my life. I guess some of us have class and other will never have it because they’re lazy and they don’t want it. Think about it. It’s much cheaper to breast feed in public than to get their lazy a$$e$ off the couch and go by formula or a pump lol! No way— too much work. “Welfare here I come.”

Deborah
Deborah
Reply to  Leslie

Bahahahaha! Ain’t that the truth!

Marie
Marie

I am 3 months in as a breastfeeding mom. My philosophy is do what makes mommy and baby comfortable, don’t worry about any negative opinions when it comes to nursing in public. Not all babies with nurse with a blanket or nursing cover over them, that’s what I’m dealing with right now. So I just wear clothes that make breAstfeeding easy and discreet in public. I refuse to nurse in a bathroom. I have all the right to breastfeed in public and I am not ashamed of it anymore.

Reply to  Marie

Good for you Marie! I remember breastfeeding my son at Sea World and using a breastfeeding cover. My son was tugging and pulling at it and throwing it away from his face. Fortunately, I was facing a wall when he exposed my breast for his feeding and no one else saw me exposed. I believe in modesty in public for myself…of course, at home is a different story. I’ve seen some women breastfeeding without regarding modesty as a factor and that’s their choice. I believe, however a woman chooses to breastfeed is beautiful. Seeing a child being nourished the way… Read more »

Felicia
Felicia
Reply to  momofIV

There are many natural things best not done in public, incuding breastfeeding. The LEAST that can be done is to cover up. It is RUDE not to be discreet about such things. Men don’t choose to oggle; it is the nature of the beast. I’m a woman & never let it all hang out; even at the beach I wore a modest suit. It is not necessary to do provocative things to get men to pay attention to you, unless you want salacious attention. Yes. there is TOO much sex oriented ads, etc.. and by breastfeeding in public you are… Read more »

Camille in Brooklyn
Camille in Brooklyn

It is normal and natural as breathing. I hope more of society will find a way to re-embrace it instead of shaming mothers who are doing the best they can for their kids.

I also like that these models are showing that you can be a nursing mom and stylish and sexy and everything. I think some people assume you can’t encompass all that, so I appreciate that they are showing that you can be so many things and STILL breastfeed.

Candice
Candice

Breastfeeding is natural as breathing, but that don’t mean that you have to show everybody what you got.

Kookie
Kookie

Breastfeeding a baby should be like a human being eating food, NO DIFFERENT. Babies shouldn’t be punished because adults made their meal a sexual object. Why should a woman feel shame for feeding her child in public? It is only a “BIG DEAL” in these so called “Modern” countries. I’m from Jamaica where it is expected to breastfeed your child everywhere, it’s actually weird if you don’t breastfeed. It is okay to run around flaunting your milk bags on beaches, showing off those milk bags in magazines, tweeting photos of your milk bags to the world, but the minute you… Read more »

Zoe
Zoe
Reply to  Kookie

The key words are “should be like a human eating food.” Unfortunately it’s not when you show yourself to everyone else. It’s because of women flaunting their bodies that public breasfeeding becomes difficult and seen as women flauting their bodies and using their babies as an excuse. Just use bottles already. I don’t want to see your boobs out. Geeesh!

Carrie
Carrie
Reply to  Kookie

What??? Who said anything about punishing babies???????? This is about publicly feeding a child — not punishing them. If you are a good mother you will make sure the baby is fed. You are not in Jamaica, you are in America. In some parts of Africa some people still walk around without any clothes on. In America that’s called indecent exposure. In America it is ok to flaunt yourself, but you are not having an infant suck on you in public like some wild animal.

Renata
Renata
Reply to  Carrie

I really agree with U. Can’t say it any better than that.

Tracy
Tracy
Reply to  Kookie

Seems men have a double standard…they don’t want to ‘see a woman’s boob when she is breastfeeding in public’, but they leer at the women with their boobs hanging out at the beach or wherever. Seems they want it BOTH ways. I breastfed my four children. When I was at church and they got hungry, I would go to the restroom, get into a stall, and nurse them. That was MY choice. I never nursed them in a mall, or anywhere public for that matter. I always took a bottle for them if we were going to be around a… Read more »

locedup

I breastfed my girls in the 80’s. Not too popular, but I had read about the health benefits and was amazed. My grandmother was all for it. My mother was a little skeptical. At any rate it should be re-normalized. My grandmother did it, but Mama got away from it. My daughter breast fed her son and is still breastfeeding his baby sister. So normal and so healthy.

Zoe
Zoe
Reply to  locedup

We are not simply talking about breastfeeding. I think we are all on the same page that breastfeeding is good. We differ about doing it for all the world to see.

Tabatha
Tabatha

Awww, he’s so cute! Big Boy she’s got there. I don’t have an issue with breast feeding. I think that do need to relax. If nature did not intend for us to breast feed the baby would have been born with bottle and Sippy cup accessories. I know that not all people weren’t breast fed (my sister wasn’t in a way. She was a premature, so she was fed with a bottle, but my mother still pumped her breast milk for the bottle) for what ever reason it might have been choice or not by choice, but I think that… Read more »

Nerida
Nerida

Although I didn’t breastfeed my son, I do agree with it. However, I don’t agree with publicizing it. There are far Too many sickos out there and folks who want to do harm, just for the sake of it. Ladies don’t put yourself in that position. If you can’t cover it up, due to your baby being uncomfortable, then DON’t do it in public. Better yet, use a breast pump and put the milk aside for future use, but don’t show everything to everybody. Not everyone wants to see it and some are offended by it. Would you feel comfortable… Read more »

Reply to  Nerida

say what ?!nut sack is a sexual organ lady what exactly does it produce for children to keep them healthy ‚this analogy is beyond inane.

Nerida
Nerida
Reply to  kerisha

Although a woman’s breast is a source of nutrition, it is ALSO considered a sexual organ and you cannot ignore this. A kitchen sink is a kitchen sink, regardless of how you try to use it! First and foremost, I AM an advocate for breast feeding. I simply do not believe that it should be publicly displayed. Do you even realize how breast feeding publicly came to be? (Probably not). Trust me, it wasn’t started by females. Women seemingly jumped on the boat to express their freedom, not realizing that it was a ploy by a man to have the… Read more »

Dottie
Dottie
Reply to  kerisha

Oh, so you’re saying that breast aren’t sexual organs? Where have you been?

Laurie
Laurie
Reply to  Nerida

I totally agree with you. But you have to realize that you can take some people out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of them. We brought them here and now look at all of our prisons and the hoods. Just awful. They need to take a loooooooooooooooooooongggg boat ride back home already!!!!!!!!! Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back, Please go back,Please go back,… Read more »

AnkhEarth

I commend ANY woman,in America who exercises her freedom to breast feed, let alone spontaneously, in public! I breast fed two healthy, happy children:(boy,’82-’83;girl,’85-’86), for 1yr, apiece. And when it was too hot to be under a privacy blanket, we did what we had to do ANYWHERE and ATE. My grandson has been breast fed for 2 solid yrs, without incidence, YAY! There is no apology and shame when corporations and individuals sell something with big boobs blazing, so what could possibly offend anyone whose not boycotting billboards and bimbo’s exploitation in PUBLIC? Yet, you want to set a standard… Read more »

Nerida
Nerida
Reply to  AnkhEarth

I repeat as I’ve said before, I am an advocate for breast feeding, but just not in public. To go deeper into the matter, I had a cousin who publicly breast fed her infant. That same cousin was raped a short time later and was blamed for “publicly” exposing herself as if she wanted to be raped. Now that’s sick and terribly wrong!!! However, you cannot shape the way society thinks and feels. When a woman wears a skirt up to her buttocks, is she asking to be exploited or is she simply exploiting herself? Very many gay females that… Read more »

Reply to  Nerida

so what your saying is a bare breast in the mouth of an infant can get you raped , more asinine than the first analogy, tell me do you boycott Victoria’s secret and other such places that display breast , this hypocritical stance you and the backward thinking take is laughable. I am sorry about your cousin though but I think there is more to that incident than you let on ‚hope she found healing and justice.its sick to you because you view it as sexual and akin to pedophilia especially for older children .here is a tip don’t look!

Nerida
Nerida
Reply to  kerisha

I feel as though I’m trying hopelessly to communicate with a moron here. I’m not saying that breast feeding in public can get you raped. I simply gave you a scenario of something that occurred as a result of public breast feeding. Did you not read the content? Obviously, it was perpetrated by a sick person who got his kicks out of seeing females expose themselves (for whatever reason) in public. Any more to the story is none of your business as the main point is the only reason for the crime. In regards to Victoria Secrets, etc. I don’t… Read more »

Jazz4hire
Jazz4hire
Reply to  Nerida

Hey Nerida I have to agree with you. My mother breastfed all of us, but she refused to do it in public because my father didn’t want everyone to see her like that. I think breasfeeding is great, but I don’t like it when girls and women do that in public. It’s just wrong. I’m just 17 but I now how the boys talk about women and bodies and when they see them doing that in public its a big joke to them & they say a lot of nasty things about girls.

Reply to  Nerida

then don’t communicate did I hit a nerve your analogies are stupid period,tsk tsk name calling now, I get it your not against breast feeding your against seeing a bare breast in public with an infant attached to it and it can get you raped if you don’t cover the breast while feeding your child,what did I miss?

Dana
Dana
Reply to  Nerida

Why are you generalizing her. I didn’t read anywhere that breastfeeding can get you raped. She said something awful happened to her cousin as a result. You sound stupid. Get a life already. She sounds like she is trying to protect women and you are trying to exploit them. Just read your texts.

mh
mh
Reply to  Nerida

In case you haven’t researched, it is not as healthy for a child to receive breastmilk from a bottle as their saliva tells the body what nutrients to make in the mother’s milk. Without the latch on none of this information gets sent to our body. Furthermore, the normalization movement is taking place in part because many women exclusively breastfeed their child as it is the healthiest route to take. Breastfed baby’s normally eat every 1 ‑2 hours. It would be extremely ridiculous for a mother to have to go and “hide” because certain people think she’s flashing them and… Read more »

Janice
Janice
Reply to  Nerida

mh.…. it “may not” be “as” healthy, but it “is” still healthy to bottle feed your child. I had 6 kids and 1 one on the way. None breast fed. All VERY healthy! Great teeth, strong bones, mental clarity, you name it! This is first-hand knowledge. The time that my babies eat varies. There is no set or average time. Take it from someone who knows..no research needed. It would be extremely ridiculous for a nursing mother to be out and about when she she should be home nursing her kid.

TBTBoss
TBTBoss
Reply to  Nerida

I had a situation while breast feeding. A mosquito bit my breast and flew on my baby’s head. It was my own fault because I didn’t cover myself and I shouldn’t have had my poor baby exposed out in the open like that. I only had a tiny red bump on my breast but the doctor told me that I could have caught some type of fever I forget the name but he said we were lucky because the mosquito didn’t penetrate the skin quite enough. I promised him that I wouldn’t take my baby to the park and breast… Read more »

Cindy
Cindy
Reply to  kerisha

May women could pump if they plan on going out. Why do they assume that society and going out in public is going to be ok with this? They are wrong to think we aren’t a modest nation. It embrasses many people. Be considerate and pump when you are out in public.

Laurie
Laurie
Reply to  AnkhEarth

Such an idiot. Where’d you read that at? I’m sure you don’t have any common knowledge. I bet you try and lighten your skin you hipocrate. But you can’t be like us. You can’t even be like those pretty light skinned ladies.

Lyndsay
Lyndsay
Reply to  AnkhEarth

As a woman, a wife, and a mother, I am VERY adamant about this issue. COVER UP YOUR BODY. You’re right, you should and can feed your child wherever and whenever you deem it necessary (I certainly did) but no one ever saw any private area(s) of my body. Now, any intelligent human being can come up with their own methods of covering, but I will state some of my personally used solutions here from when I was breatfeeding my son: covering with a blanket (not only does it cover you but it also actually HELPED my son eat more… Read more »

Julie
Julie
Reply to  AnkhEarth

I also nursed my two kids but you never would know because I did not make a show out of it. I don’t think people are necessarily against breastfeeding itself, they are just tired of the women that try to shove it in everyone’s faces. If someone is uncomfortable with it, they are uncomfortable with it. Trying to push it on them is not going to change how they feel about it.

Clare
Clare

I really wish that people would understand what they read. This doesn’t seem to be about breastfeeding. It’s about breastfeeding in the public view.

BertaB
BertaB
Reply to  Clare

I agree. There seems to be a lot of people bashing those who don’t agree with breast feeding in the public’s view. It’s really not rocket science. Because they are not saying not to breast feed, they are just saying they don’t agree with doing it publicly. What’s the big deal? They are not telling people not to do it. They are telling people they disagree with it. Duh.

Charlene
Charlene

Hello all! I am for breast feeding (in private). I read all the comments and then I texted six different people to find out what they thought — see below: Male #1: “If a woman wants to show her stuff I’m all for that!” Male #2: “I can’t understand why women complain about Beyoncé showing everything, when they’re fighting to show off their tits in public.” Male #3: “I don’t care either way. But if you show your body like that in public you have to expect people to re-act. How would women like it if we men exposed ourselves for ANY… Read more »

Charlene
Charlene
Reply to  Charlene

.…And no I’m not religious fanatic. I’m just realistic. Thanks Nerida, you seem very well informed lol!

Tamika
Tamika "Tammy"
Reply to  Charlene

I’m not a fanatic either but I believe that because of sin, it became a sin to expose ourselves in public places. I believe the human body is very beautiful but if everyone sees it exposed, then it becomes less attractive to look at except for the perverts of course.

Aico
Aico
Reply to  Charlene

You’re kidding, right?

Tamika
Tamika "Tammy"
Reply to  Aico

Duh, does it sound like I’m kidding?

Donita
Donita
Reply to  Charlene

good comments. makes sense too.

Kenny
Kenny
Reply to  Charlene

If women can pull out a boob in public, does that mean men can walk around with their penis flopping around? Lets use some common sense and public decency here. Your baby may be a cute bundle of joy to you and yours but to most of us it is just a poop machine.

Bart
Bart

Why can’t you women get it in your heads? Stop vying for attention. You don’t need to openly expose yourselves for everyone to see. Are your husbands not giving you the attention that he used to? I am all for women’s rights but I am against women displaying their nakedness out in the open. I don’t care if you are breast feeding. My wife used to say that her breast milk keeps running out and getting on her clothes so she wanted to breast feed our daughter wherever we were, no matter where. Her mother suggested that she use some… Read more »

Aaron
Aaron
Reply to  Bart

Hey Bro I feel ya! I can’t believe I’m joinin this talk but d$$#! These h##S actually wanna show it all in public? They must not have man sounds pretty desperate to me. Kudos to the ladies who don’t want to show everything to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would marry you in a heartbeat lol!

mh
mh
Reply to  Bart

How is that an excuse. What if a woman exclusively nurses her child because it’s healthier and the only way for our bodies to know which nutrients to make is from the saliva of our child (pumping doesn’t do that). No one is vying for attention but I will not feed in a bathroom because that’s unsanitary.

Bart
Bart
Reply to  mh

Dear you’ve been misinformed. I was not merely speaking from a male point of view, but also from that of a DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice). We specialize on the clinical aspects of the disease process. With one exception, it is no way healthier for a woman to “physically” nurse her child than to bottle feed her child. The exception stems from where the milk was derived. If directly from the mother, the milk is healthier. That isn’t to say that formulas are not healthy. Whether the mother’s milk is supplied directly from the mother or pumped into a bottle,… Read more »

Jennie
Jennie
Reply to  Bart

I have to agree with you. It sounds kind of dumb to say that saliva knows which nutrients to make. What if the mother is deficient, then her body may not be able to produce the correct nutrients. Please correct me if I am wrong. But anyway like you said (in so many words) a mother’s milk is a mother’s milk whether it comes straight from her breasts or pumped into a bottle. It’s all good. BTW what is formula made from? Thanks!

Bart
Bart
Reply to  Jennie

Baby’s formulas are man-made, designed and marketed for infants. One of the reasons the mother’s milk is more advantageous for the infant is because since formulas are chemically made, some may contain soy. Some infants (and adults) are allergic to soy or some of the other nutrients. There are also instances where infants may be allergic to some nutrients from the mother’s milk. However, it’s still best to go with the mother’s milk, as the baby will most likely outgrow that type of allergy or even become immune to it. Glad I could help.

Reply to  Bart

@Bart… apparently, according to MidwifeAndDoula… http://www.midwifeanddoula.com/breastfeeding.htm …“A surprising fact is that the composition of breast milk changes with each feeding, so no matter what time of day it is, or what season, mother’s milk will adjust to the specific needs of her baby. This is true for the nursing newborn or the nursing toddler- a mother’s body will adjust to provide exactly what is needed nutritionally. So, as a child’s vitamin and mineral requirements change, so will the concentration of these important nutrients in breast milk . One theory for this is that the baby’s saliva signals specific nutritional requirements… Read more »

mh
mh
Reply to  momofIV

Thank you! I was trying not to go back and forth with the Nurse

Lebron
Lebron
Reply to  momofIV

Midwife” seriously? You believe that sh## over a person in the medical profession? Obviously because it’s what you and dummies like you want to believe. How dumb.

Candace
Candace
Reply to  mh

What?

Nickie
Nickie
Reply to  mh

I don’t see anything wrong with breastfeeding a child in public however, out of simple respect for others, cover up the act with a blanket. This is a very simple way to avoid uneeded controversy.

Missie
Missie
Reply to  Nickie

it’s not the breastfeeding in public, it’s the boobs all hanging out in public, why can’t you cover up?!?!?! what and how you feed your child is your business, not everyone elses!

AnkhEarth

Misogyny, Patriarchal oppression, loss of original culture, self hatred, judgement, ignorance of evolution (by intelligent design even), religious allegory misconstrued, fear mongering, cowardice, and projected sexual dysfunction and homophobia…evident failure of the school system (that dumb health class), ALL this showing itself, from the beautiful pic of a BLACK woman & child, whose HUSBAND, took a picture of them because they both feel strong, fearless enough, and FREE enough, in the wilderness of North America to do so and be right in the eyes of their own enlightened minds. Ethnocentrism, begat Colonialism, which begat being stripped lost and divided (HOUSE… Read more »

SusanB
SusanB
Reply to  AnkhEarth

Just how do you know who took the pic? Were you actually there? Oh and you read their minds and you know their perceptions huh? You need to give it up. Go and preach that unpatriotic BS to a less knowledgeable person of your kind. I can see a lot of ignorance on this matter. And a lot of people are just SO IGNORANT. Were you born with that ignorance or just never learned anything?

AnkhEarth
Reply to  SusanB

Susan B. Anthony!? what forum are you on? Her husband may not have taken the photo, but supported her doing so. This whole forum is about her supporting breastfeeding, and showing fearlessness as her hash tags and photos show. Living in and being born in America, affords me the right to be ANY thing I choose. And, I do have degrees, but African American studies, with a Poli- sci and Anthropology twists. So my apologies if my far fetched sensibilities don’t agree with your Eurocentric ones. Maybe I’ve been miseducated. Please don’t’ be no white girl on here calling people… Read more »

SusanB
SusanB
Reply to  AnkhEarth

There some points to consider here. I was quoting you, “whose HUSBAND, took a picture of them.” Now you’re changing your tune huh? Living in and being born in America, affords me the right to believe as I choose. I have a degree also, but I don’t need to publicize it to prove anything. “Maybe” is an understatement if you think that it’s ok to flaunt your boobs in public as those flaunting it on tv, ads, the beach, etc. I couldn’t care less about your heart as I’m certain you couldn’t care about mine. BTW I can “be” anyone… Read more »

AnkhEarth
Reply to  SusanB

Had to give you a thumbs up! You got got me on a miss quote…I have been to nude beaches on several continents after breast feeding two children, I’m a heathen? GUILTY! and I’ve been myself for over 50 yrs. I’m Agnostic, so religious zealots, the prudish, the pervs, the insecure, the ignorant and inane..don’t register a blip. At the end of the day, this forum is still about OPINION and Preference as to the lengths some will go to exercise their rights. Peace & Conscious Intuition

Christine
Christine
Reply to  AnkhEarth

keep your boobs under wraps — no one wants to see you feeding your spawn.

Viviane223
Viviane223
Reply to  AnkhEarth

Disgusting, keep it to yourself

Lea
Lea

A lot of the comments are ridiculous. My view is if you want to breastfeed in public do so, if not then do not. I think that women should be free to do as they want when it comes to breastfeeding. I do not think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding in public when a woman can wear pasties on her boobs or a teeny tiny bikini top which basically shows everything but the nipple. No one is upset with the teeny tiny bikini large breast women, only the public breastfeeders. It is not a big deal. If my child is… Read more »

Diane
Diane
Reply to  Lea

I agree that everyone should have their own choice. But you can’t ignore the fact that women’s breast have been portrayed as sexual objects. Because of this, you can’t simply overlook that. I women’s breasts weren’t perceived as sexual objects then we probably wouldn’t even be having this discussion. It is, what it is and I don’t see that changing any time soon. I truly agree that women should be able to breast feed their child anywhere they want to. But the world doesn’t look at it that way, at least not here in America. We can’t simply do things… Read more »

Ayesha
Ayesha
Reply to  Diane

Amen!!!!

Marybelle
Marybelle
Reply to  Diane
Leanne
Leanne
Reply to  Lea

I think that women should be free to do as they want when it comes to breastfeeding.” Oh yeah? Well look at this & tell us if you still fee the same way:

KiaLeigh
KiaLeigh

What exactly are you paying for. Studies have shown that it is actually the affluent whom nurse more because they have education, support and medical guidance to assist them in making the best decision. Furthermore, employers are required to provide a place for their employees to pump. Additionally, I am an attorney with a 17 month old. I nursed for almost eight months. I pumped while at work. Please advise as to how your tax dollars paid for anything.

mh
mh
Reply to  KiaLeigh

Exactly!

Cindy
Cindy
Reply to  mh

I think breast feeding is a private thing between mother & child, and should not BE DONE IN PUBLIC!!!

Marie
Marie
Reply to  Cindy

I seriously don’t understand why Cindy got so many dislikes. She was simply stating her opinion on the topic of breast feeding. In my opinion, if a woman chooses to breastfeed outside the privacy of her home she should use a towel or small blanket to cover herself. Breast feeding is, to me, an intimate moment between the mother and her child. It is also bonding but that’s just me. Yaya wanted to share a beautiful moment with the world and I’m happy to see that her and her child are healthy and happy.

Mary
Mary
Reply to  mh

Modesty is something learned at home from a good Mother; it appears to be the age of hanging everything out.

Sheree Lee
Sheree Lee
Reply to  KiaLeigh

I am not opposed to breast feeding in public as long as they cover up. I dont think breast should be exposed for children and adults alike. And moms who says its too hard to cover up — they are just lazy. You all bring diapers, etc everywhere you go — add a small cover to your diaper bag — be responsible and considerate of those around you.

ElleBella2011
ElleBella2011

Breast feeding is bonding time with your baby. This is such a special time. It’s economical. It’s better then man-made formula. It’s natural. It’s the reason why woman have breast. Most of all it’s beautiful. Yaya do your thing.

Fred
Fred
Reply to  ElleBella2011

Breast feed away in public. I think men should stop and oggle while you’re doing it. After all that’s what men do, right? It’s natural right?

Arleen
Arleen
Reply to  ElleBella2011

If a woman wants to breastfeed, PLEASE do it in private. The Mom may not feel uncomfortable, others around might. This is “all about ME generation” — I WANT TO DO IT, SO TOUGH ON YOU IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT”. Come on girls, be polite. Cover up.

Jess
Jess

I never understood why people get so disgusted by a mother feeding her baby in public, the nipple’s in the baby mouth its not like she’s showing off her chest for fun. Yet it’s ok for a woman to walk around with her boobs out as long as she has pasties on her nipples. When something is used for what it was actually made for… we have a problem.

Penny
Penny
Reply to  Jess

It would be so nice if businesses would provide a place for moms to nurse their babies privately…just a couch or chair or something in the restroom or a separate room. Who knows…it could boost their sales if a mom goes to their store more often knowing there’s a place to nurse privately! 🙂

Che
Che
Reply to  Jess

Jess, I agree with you. Breasts can be sexualized, but not seen when being used as intended. That’s ridiculous.

GiGi466
GiGi466
Reply to  Che

What? But not seen? That’s the problem. The breasts are seen. Some girls or women don’t even try to hide or cover themselves. They just flip everything out right in public and start milking like a cow. It’s ok for a cow to do it in public because it’s an animal. Humans are supposed to be more civilized.

Lauren
Lauren

Since everyone will NEVER agree, going forward why don’t everyone simply say what your opinion of breastfeeding in public is and then be done with it. No one has to agree with you no matter how many people vote + or — it really doesn’t matter or change the other person’s opinion. There’s no need to argue, just simply give your points and have a nice day!

Jeremy
Jeremy

I come to the foodcourt to enjoy my food, not watch someone flop their boob out. You don’t do that where people are trying to eat.

Che
Che
Reply to  Jeremy

The baby is trying to eat. What makes you eating more important?

Jeremy
Jeremy
Reply to  Che

I don’t eat with someone’s body parts in my mouth. Body parts that are NOT only used for feeding a baby, but also centered around sexuality. Where have you been? Ever watch TV. Hell, ever go outside? What did you think? How old are you — 10?

Lola
Lola
Reply to  Jeremy

Mouths are used for sexual acts, so please wear a face mask when you’re eating your burger. Thanks!

Laura
Laura

i love babes and always take notice of them. they would go into quiet areas and do it. now you see women who don’t cover from the time they whip it out till they put it back sitting out on mall benches or just walking around. the lack of class removes the beauty and makes it a truly disgusting thing

Francesca
Francesca

This is a great photo and we should encourage new moms to nurture their babies like this. I nursed my son in public all the time and mostly no one even noticed. I am a modest and discreet person. Regardless, no mother should ever be shamed for making the best choice for their child. They are facing so much already with a newborn (sleep deprivation, change in hormonal levels, post postpartum issues etc.) When I see a nursing mom I usually smile and say ‘what a beautiful baby’.

Shaniqua

I don’t see what is so “distasteful” or “disturbing” or “disgusting” about a woman feeding her child the way nature designed her to in a public place. So long as they aren’t just allowing their breasts to be completely exposed for anyone walking passed to see, why shouldn’t they provide nourishment for their offspring. There’s nothing wrong with the likes of Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian being damn near publicly nude (I use the word “public” loosely to refer to the national exposure they get) but a non-sexualized breast being used to feed an infant is a problem? Wake the… Read more »

TMC
TMC

i don’t understand why people in north america are so against women nursing their babies in public. women in some other countries don’t even cover up, they just do their do in public!
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

AnkhEarth
Reply to  TMC

Maybe it’s akin to PTSD (at least for African- Amer), remember forced wet nursing during enslavement? For the life of me I have tried to understand the self deprecation that woman will subject themselves, and their babies to, in the name of not offending, being modest, being civilized, having class…and all the other “reasons” for the lengths they would have others go to so they won’t get a glimpse of MAMMARY Gland, with child attached. N. America is the Nouveau riche kid on the block and would so like to forget its, ill-gotten and treacherous beginnings so I have given… Read more »

HHJ
HHJ

I have absolutely no issue with breastfeeding. I bf both of my girls for at least 13 months! But I do agree that it is a private thing and that when in public you should cover… It’s not that hard. I use to bf in public all the time. Being a mother you usually have to unless you are going to stay home all the time. Both my daughters are healthy and hardly ever get sick. They always test high on the test they take… they are happy and beautiful. Don’t see the problem with covering up while in public… Read more »

Karen
Karen

People.com

Mother sentenced to 20 years for passing drugs along to her baby via breast milk, causing the child’s fatal overdose.

“She loved her drugs more than she loved her child,” prosecutor Barry Barnette told the Spartanburg, S.C., jury in summation.

Click here for more details: http://peoplem.ag/vrKtx

Aliyah
Aliyah

I see black and whie woman in public showing off their boobs with no bra and wearing booty shorts showing their butt cheeks to get attention . I see nothing wrong with woman breast feeding their baby in public . I don’t get why women can show their boobs when their not breast feeding but when they are breast feeding it’s a big problem! Doesn’t make any sense !

akpevwe
akpevwe

please learn to answer questions objectively. the question asked was what were our tots on breastfeeding not wether women should cover up in public when breastfeeding. am sure if she had covered up you guys would have attacked her the same way you did beyounce saying she wasnt actually breastfeeding and looking for publicity.humans are never satisfied,thats y u should always be true to yourself.

Ouida Cordell
Ouida Cordell

Why does she feel the need to share this on Instagram? We have all seen babies breast fed before. Spend less time on social media and more time attending to your child. That’s why I love Kerry Washington she would never do anything like this for show.