Lupita Nyong’o Takes Home an Oscar and Forever Rules the Red Carpet

Avatar • Mar 2, 2014

The amazing Lupita Nyong’o has been on our minds since her heart-wrenching performance as Patsey in the critically acclaimed movie 12 Years a Slave. We will be keeping tabs on this gorgeous Kenyan natural as she slays the red carpet and takes home multiple awards. We hope that you are as inspired by this incredible lady as we are!

lupitawinning

Credit: A.M.P.A.S./Michael Yada

Lupita captured the hearts of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and took home the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Patsey in 12 Years a Slave which won the award for Best Picture. N’yongo beat out Jennifer Lawrence, June Squibb, Sally Hawkins and Julia Roberts. So queue up Beyonce’s- “Flawless” on the ipod and let’s toast to this magnificent talented beauty.

lupita prada oscars

Lupita captivates the Academy Awards red carpet in this baby blue grecian-inspired Prada gown on Sunday, March 2nd.

lupita-nyong-o-wearing-givenchy-dress-2014-naacp-image-awards-in-pasadena_5

Lupita N’yongo looks effortlessly chic in a fierce, Givenchy dress at the NAACP awards.

lupitaBAFTA

Credit: AFP

Lupita Nyong’o effortlessly serves elegance and style at the BAFTA awards in London, Saturday, February 16. Nyong’o is wearing an emerald Christian Dior couture gown, Ana Khouri gold cuffs and Louboutin shoes.

lupitaSAGawards

Credit: Mark Davis/WireImage

Lupita Nyong’o at the SAG Awards in a fabulous aquamarine Gucci dress.

Lupita-NyongosAG

Lupita took home the SAG award for Best Female Actor in a Supporting Role this past Saturday.

lupitanyongoCriticsChoice

Credit: qui-tv.com

Lupita stuns again in this all white Calvin Klein gown at the 2014 Critics Choice awards where she took home the award for Best Supporting Actress.

Lupita-Nyongo-Critics-Choice-Awards-2014

Credit: Getty / Kevin Winter

Lupita Nyong’o is serving all kinds of fierce in this bold red gown at the Golden Globe Awards.

lupita

la-ar-golden-globes-fashion-it-girl-lupita-nyo-001

Nyong’o arrived on the red carpet at tonight’s 71st Annual Golden Globe Awards with her classic cropped do and her signature classic style in a gown designed by Ralph Lauren.

Lupita was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the critically acclaimed film, 12 Years A Slave.

Do you love her looks?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

gapch
gapch

simply gorgeous

Ugonna Wosu

best dressed of the night.

Ankit
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

Por 6 octubre 2011 — 11:10Yo tengo un tema nesceito usar mi pendrive en los dos sistemas, mac y windows pero fat32 me resulta obsoleto ya que paso archivos muy grandes y el fat32 esta limitado, cual puede ser mi solucion??se los agradeceria .saludos

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks

she is PERFECT!

Finn
Finn

So gorgeous! Beautiful! I really hope she continues to get shine after this movie.

lahblooplah
lahblooplah

Sublime. Fellow Kenyan in the house!! woop woop!

Rachael
Rachael

Beautiful!

Nature Girl
Nature Girl

African Queen! She looks so powerful and regal in red. Her complexion is flawless.

kendra b
kendra b

This is real/natural beauty. No Fake shit

Nappy 4C Rocks
Nappy 4C Rocks
Reply to  kendra b

right!

dionne

This women is absolutely stunning,not only does she have rich dark chocolaty skin but she can get away with short hair-which many women can’t
I don’t know who she is but I love her already.

ammamama

I love it from head to toe. She is beautiful and always snatched.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ

I absolutely loved he look from head to toe…you know I was watching Bravo TV Watch what happens live and they featured NeNe Leaks. Well she comments that she loved her outfit but not her hair. smh It looks better then hers. I wish black women would stop degrading others. Why say that?

Kade
Kade
Reply to  SuzyQ

She wasn’t nessarily “degrading” her hair it’s just a preference. Now it wasn’t like she said “no to the ‘nappy’ hair” now THATS degrading.

Anyways.…I can’t even begin to say how beautiful she is!!!! It’s not even her skin alone, it’s everything about her. The face structure, her facial features, her pyhsic. STUNNING!! I won’t be surprised if I see her on a billboard!! You go girl, Africa on the rise!! 🙂

gapch
gapch
Reply to  Kade

her hair actually doesnt look nappy.… in the shots above it looks relaxed or hit with a flat iron

Reply to  gapch

I think she flat ironed it. Her hair is natural.

Reply to  Kade

I think I saw an interview where Nene hinted at not being for natural hair.

Teetee
Teetee
Reply to  SuzyQ

She is naturally beautiful

reese
reese

Wow! Amazing!

cacey
cacey

wow she is gorgeous! stunning

Melissa
Melissa

For the women who feel they can not pull off bright colors, especially red, Lupita is showing us we can wear any color! I want to know what lipstick shade has on! Beautiful!

Finn
Finn
Reply to  Melissa

It looks like “O” from Mac. It’s a beautiful frost that looks superb on brown-skinned women.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Finn

Thanks Finn for the info=)

HortonHearsA...
HortonHearsA...

Her performance in TYAS is great. I really think it should be her vs Jennifer Lawrence for best supporting actress at the Oscars.

Toni
Toni

Is she a model as well? She’s so beautiful!

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

Dang girl, The dress looks Urbane and befitting on her. I can see confidence shining through her. I’m at school and when I saw the dress-first I saw the hair cut‑I was blown away. I’m glad that she’s getting nominated. She deserves it and it just shows Natural hair is spreading-at least it will in Hollywood but I won’t waste my time.

jojosatoes
jojosatoes

Her beautiful skin, hair and smile were her best accessories! Just gorgeous!

JAgirl
JAgirl

she looks fabulous, she’s a stunning lady.

Afrinaturality
Afrinaturality

Femininity, class and elegance all rolled into one. Beautiful. The kind of lady of which we should see more.

Cheryl
Cheryl

absolutely equisitely beautiful black woman! What a doll…love the style, makeup, hair, and beautiful face. She was the most stunning woman on the red carpet in my opinion!

Dee Dee
Dee Dee

Did anybody say “Regal” yet? Yes, she’s stunning! I saw her being auditioned on TV she recently graduated from Yale University. It appears she beautiful and smart.

How elegant!

Darlyn
Darlyn

She is SOOOOOO beautiful!!

Pat
Pat

Not shocked that fake blond wig wearing NeNe Leakes is not for natural hair, newsflash, she looks better with her own hair as I saw her natural hair from yrs past. That blond wig is awful.

t.c.
t.c.
Reply to  Pat

Nene was soo mad when she saw that picture of Lupita. And I’m surprised Wendy Williams hasn’t attacked her Lupita yet. Maybe she’s scared since she got read after she tried it with Viola Davis.

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Pat

Yup, I certainly expect that from Ms. Leakes who once uttered on national/international t.v. ‘white is right’. Ugh.smh. To each their own.

On the opposite end of teh spectrum is Ms. Nyongo who aptly encompasses the definition of flawless! Intelligent, full of grace, physically beautiful, and an advocate for those with albinism in her homeland of Kenya, how can one not be enamored with her? =) I do want that skin.…perhaps I will be tanning this summer, lol…for real doe!

greengirl
greengirl

Omg my heart skipped a beat. I wish I were a lesbian!! lol but too bad I’m straight and she looks just stunning, there are no words. I just can’t believe such beauty is in the world. She’s like a flower. she l ooks like a movie star! A flower with I mean wow!?? How did she get so beautiful?? Genetics? Who are here mom and dad?? The girl is like a walking work of art!!! STUNNIINNNNNNGGG!!!!! Can’t take it!! Heart will burst!

Reply to  greengirl

lol

greengirl
greengirl

The dress!!! Like a Barbie!!

greengirl
greengirl

Nene Leaks is jealous.

MommieDearest
MommieDearest

I can’t think of a superlative that adequately conveys how breathtaking this woman is. *sigh*

She’s my new girl crush.

cluelessnovice
cluelessnovice

Let’s stop the negatives, Mary J Blige has had blonde hair for many years and she’s not less of a black person for it. Lupita is very attractive and I like this look on her from head to toe. I wish I had her skin, so smooth and so clear.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

GIRRRRL, She was killin’ it in that dress ! Beautiful face, flawless makeup,hair & skin ! Speaking of skin, I remember waaay back when I was a kid in the 60s, some black folks would tell other blacks, esp the women & girls ‚not to wear bright colors like yellow,red or orange because they’d make you look blacker !! I remember getting a red dress anyway. Even got one now !! I hope that if any of those folks are still alive,they got a good look at this dark chocolate beauty rockin’ her black elegance in that red dress &… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  NubianPrize

I will never forget the first time somebody told me I was too dark to wear red. I may have been 15 or so and I had a new red skirt suit for Easter. This older lady told me flat-out I was too dark to wear that red. I was dumbstruck…because I hadn’t grown up in a colorstruck household and hadn’t spend lots of time around colorstruck people. This wasn’t in Africa either…this was in the American Midwest in the 1980s. Now as a young adult I joined that whole “black uniform” crowd in the 90s but sometime around 2000 I… Read more »

lablooplah
lablooplah
Reply to  LBell

Girl, Bright colored clothes are amazing, esp on darker skin, from olive an onwards. Not everybody can pull it off. I find that strange. I’m glad nobody said something that stupid to me.

gigi
gigi

can’t stop Kenyan beauty y’all! so gorgeous sometimes I forget to breathe when I look at her lol

lablooplah
lablooplah
Reply to  gigi

YASSS. It’s wonderful seeing her beauty being celebrated. Esp since we have similiar ethnic features. I cant explain it, it’s not the fact that she has dark beautiful skin and what not. But similar facial structure, big round eyes, round forehead, button nose, thick lips, pointed chin which is the typical east african look (among africans, usually americans think east africa is just the somalia/ethopia region) but i’m speaking esp of Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania. I often look at other celebs and while they are beautiful, i sometimes get tempted to not find myself being viewed as beautiful. For example, looking at a… Read more »

TW
TW

I have such a crush on her. Beautiful woman

miaculpa
miaculpa

I love how simply Lupita’s style is. Unfortunately the trend is to pile on “youtube tutorial” style makeup which can sometimes distort and not enhance natural beauty. People like Nene Leakes who are beautiful think the more hair you add, the more makeup you have, the more laid your hair is then you are beautiful. I wish ladies would believe in their natural beauty and not use makeup and hair to camouflage it.

Toyin Agbetu

Lupita Nyong’o is such an amazing woman. Its a shame that Vanity Fairs recent manipulation of her image misses the point director Steve McQueen so brilliantly emphasised by casting this natural beauty as the leading woman of his instant classic ‘12 Years a Slave’.

I’ve been working on and plan to release a feature length film this year on this and related topics about beauty from an African perspective.

You can catch the trailer at;

I hope you enjoy it and help spread the word.
Peace.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Toyin Agbetu

wow i would find this extremely interesting, because i’ve always wondered what various cultures in Africa deem beautiful. Growing up in the US i’ve got a pretty good idea of what Americans esteem so far as beauty goes, but it would be refreshing to see beauty through a different lens. thanks for doing this!

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African
Reply to  cacey

Actually, Lupita’s kind of beauty is not necessarily deemed beautiful in Africa — short natural hair, dark skin. There’s a lot of skin-bleaching, non-natural hair, particularly in the cities. I think that what Americans esteem beautiful is what a lot of Africans esteem beautiful as well. Therefore she is a breath of fresh air.
(see: http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/16/nigerian-pop-stirs-controversy-whitenicious-bleaching-cream-selling-stores/)

lablooplah
lablooplah

while there are people who bleach their skin in africa, i’d say women are found beautiful regardless of their skin tone for the most part, that’s my experience growing up in Kenya. Just a handful color-struck individuals judge beauty according to skin color. Esp seeing that most of the population is what the United States would consider darksin (see Gabrielle Union)

anastasia
anastasia
Reply to  Toyin Agbetu

You go girl! Awesome! Will certainly check it out.

Ashley
Ashley

She is very pretty.

Lita
Lita

What took y’all so long?! 🙂

t.c.
t.c.
Reply to  Lita

Too busy covering blonde wig devotee, Beyonce, and pretending like she’s actually relevant to women seeking natural black beauty.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  t.c.

whoop there it is

Reply to  Lita

they just updated an article they started last week, they didn’t take too long. It was about her look at the Golden Globes before, now its updated with photos of the other two awards shows and a new title.

Ugonna Wosu

Lupita Nyong’o was born in Mexico, raised in Kenya and educated in the USA.

Faida
Faida
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

University educated in the US, she has primary and high school classmates rooting for her from Kenya, thanks.

gina
gina

everyone is talking about her dresses and her skin but no one is looking at the fierceness of her hair!!!!! for a twa she is showing all kinds of versatility…her shape-ups change the side part the low top and the high top…i just can’t…her dopeness is on a‑whole-nother-level!!!!!!!

The Mane Captain

of course I love her looks! all of them! I love the blue dress best. it shows off her ARMS! so so beautiful!
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Sophie
Sophie

I’m so happy to see her working the carpet this season! One because she looks amazing and I like to just look at her, but also because she is a dark, natural black woman who is succeeding and is such a good example of being classy and yourself. It’s kind of silly maybe, but when I read articles on mainstream news sites about her and the comments section is flooded with compliments on her skin and style and poise, I feel kind of proud because it’s one more step toward dispelling bad myths about black women. Go girl!

Reply to  Sophie

yes, when is the last time you saw a dark, black actress get this much attention.

rho
rho

ehem! get your facts right! Lupita is kenyan. She was born in Mexico while her father, a politician here in my country kenya, was in exile. they left before she was even 1. She was raised in kenya and is kenyan.

Reply to  rho

I disagree,then she is Mexican-and Kenyan by heritage..to cancel out her place of birth just because her family are all African is crazy.

Reply to  dionne

the article wrote she was raised in Mexico and born in Kenya, the above poster is trying to say what I said: they got it backwards.

Yonnie
Yonnie
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

Where do you see that in the article?

SK
SK
Reply to  dionne

Well, it would depend on how those things are decided in Mexico. For instance, being born in London doesn’t automatically make you British if your family is from elsewhere. Most places are not like the US where being born here makes you a citizen.

Chiko
Chiko
Reply to  dionne

Seriously, people need to broaden their horizons. Being born in a certain country does not always automatically make you a citizen of that country. Cause it’s done that way in the US, doesn’t mean it’s the same all over the world.

lablooplah
lablooplah
Reply to  Chiko

esp since we, Kenyans (such as myself), feel so much joy at the mention of a fellow Kenyan succeeding in the international realm, I felt slightly disappointed when I didn’t see her Kenyan heritage mentioned in the beginning of the article. Of course that is just a subjective response and not an objective look at the article. But still, we are all humans lol.

Crystal
Crystal
Reply to  dionne

SHE MAY HAVE BEEN BORN IN MEXICO BUT SHE IS AFRICAN SO THEY SHOULD MAKE THAT CLEAR. ALL THE YOUNG AFRICAN AND AFRICAN AMERICAN KIDS NEED TO LOOK UP TO HER AND KNOW THAT SHE IS AFRICAN. HER RACE IS AFRICAN. PERIOD.

Reply to  Crystal

Why are you choosing to cancel out the fact of her birthright which is not in Africa,her parents may be African,her whole family may be African ..YES she is African but she is also Mexican.
Many African Americans were born in USA,who have family from other countries-are you saying they are not American..

Yonnie
Yonnie
Reply to  dionne

No. She’s not Mexican. Her family moved back to Kenya before her 1st birthday. NOTHING about her is Mexican except for her birth certificate and her first name. On Jimmy Kimmel she said that is is Kenyan custom to name a baby after the events of the day. She was named Lupita b/c she was born in Mexico.

Reply to  Yonnie

LOLLOL if you are born somewhere then you are a citizen of what ever that country is-she was not born in Africa therefore she is African through heritage.

soulshadow55
soulshadow55
Reply to  dionne

Her father was a diplomat/politician who was lecturing a university in Mexico. Having diplomatic status completely negates any citizenship ties to the country of birth. That is true for the children of all diplomats. If you are the child born in another country to a member of the foreign service/diplomat/military (no matter what country) you are automatically given the citizenship of the country that your parents represent. That means that even though she was born in Mexico she holds no citizenship ties to Mexico. Moreover, she and her family moved back to Kenya when she was very, very young. Culturally… Read more »

Yonnie
Yonnie
Reply to  dionne

Technically, this article isn’t wrong. She WAS born in Mexico. However, it gives the perception that she’s Mexican. She isn’t. She was only born in Mexico b/c, according to Wikipedia, her father was a visiting lecturer in political science in Mexico City at the time she was born. They moved back to Kenya before she was a year old. If your parents are American and you’re born while they’re visiting Ethiopia, and move back to the U.S. after a few months, that doesn’t make you Ethiopian.

Reply to  Yonnie

OH yes it does ‚that’s exactly the reason why you have to state on your passport where you were born and with those details they term that country your birth right..it doesn’t matter if you were there for 1 second or a year.
I personally only received that ‘mexican’ detail from a comment here but it applies to anyone-you can’t cancel out the fact she was born NOT in Africa but Mexico-that has to count for something.

Take a chill pill
Take a chill pill
Reply to  dionne

Before everybody starts going HAM for Mexican birth rights, and spouting claims like they are the worldwide authority on global citizenship issues, a little research on Mexican nationality rights, would go a long way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_nationality_law according to wiki, she’s Mexican. Doesn’t stop her from being Kenyan folks! Can’t argue with the Mexican constitution. Lol!

the_lovely_one
the_lovely_one
Reply to  dionne

, no she is Mexican by nationality and Kenyan by heritage. Get your facts straight. Even if she was born in the US she would still be Kenyan. If she were born in Canada she would still be Kenyan. Point being that her heritage is not Mexican.

Reply to  the_lovely_one

If that was the case then nationality wouldn’t be important ‑it wouldn’t matter-she may see herself as Kenyan but that doesn’t take her birthright of being Mexican away.
I think a lot of people would agree with your perception because many Americans have families born in another country but they still see their self as an American-to not regard someones place of birth is somewhat ignorant.

Reply to  the_lovely_one

*correction-WOULDN’T agree with your perception..lol

Nnnennaya

Lupita Nyong’o is sure making waves & rocking her natural look! Thumbs up to her!

Nnnennaya

Lupita Nyong’o is sure making waves & rocking her natural looks & beauty! Thumbs up to her!

Nnnennaya

[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/LupitaNyongo‑1.jpg[/img]

Trini in Colorado
Trini in Colorado
Reply to  Nnnennaya

How fabulous it is to have skin of color that allows us to look spectacular in EVERY color! Thumbs up if ya feeling me 🙂

kendra b
kendra b

OMG she is so beautiful. I can say I am jealous, but in a good way. 🙂

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

Class, elegance, grace, style, and BEAUTY! This woman makes me proud, and I hope her career continues to soar!!

Mel
Mel

I love to hear her speak about playing Patsey. Her portrayal was gripping and she is SO beautiful! I’m wowed every time I see her. That skin!

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

She is rocking the dresses she wears with elegance and confidence. She will probably get more movie roles and she deserves the recognization.

breanne
breanne

Everything about this woman is absolutely awe inspiring. These images make me wonder (even more than usual) why high fashion designers don’t pick more dark-skinned models. Each and every dress absolutely pops against her dark brown skin. Good lawd.

Mells39
Mells39
Reply to  breanne

I was browsing Nordstrom lately and they featured a dark skin model for the active wear gear. I think there is some progress but you are right.

Cheryl
Cheryl

OMG!!! She is absolutely stunning!!! She makes me so proud to be a black woman and I know she has caucasian women envying her flawless, chocolate skin. She looks amazing…WOW!

Love JAH
Love JAH

She’s beautiful and stunning. I need to see this movie now!

LC
LC

Beautiful skin and color!

Mells39
Mells39

It would be nice to see what her makeup artist used on her skin. I would love to find some of the lipstick shades she is wearing.

making waves
making waves

Love her style and how she styles her cropped natural hair in different ways. Very beautiful.

Viv
Viv

I am totally OBSESSED with Lupita Nyong’o. She’s absolutely stunning, from her hair, to her skin, to her body, to her style choices, to her intelligence and grace. She is a wonderful role model, and I am so rooting for her in life and in career.

OBSESSED!

Jennabel
Reply to  Viv

Thanks for being on point and on tagter!

Lu
Lu

Why is this article putting Mexico in the spotlight and not Kenya? No one cares that she was born in Mexico, she’s Kenyan through and through! Saying she’s Mexican born is so random and misleading, considering that she grew up in Kenya, she’s Kenyan blood, and her family is Kenyan. A Mexican reporter tried HARD to get her to claim Mexico, lol, and she basically said…uh.….I’m Kenyan. lol. She’s a Kenyan gem, and should be recognized as such. Yeah, change that Mexican ish. ‑I’m not Kenyan, btw.

Reply to  Lu

it mentions both, nothing wrong with making both important.

Yonnie
Yonnie
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

That’s the problem. The article does not mention that she’s Kenyan. It gives the impression that she’s Mexican.

miaculpa
miaculpa
Reply to  Lu

Thank you she is Kenyan and similar to any expat child she was born in another country. She is similar to a military kid. She is Kenyan through and through.

Crystal
Crystal

SHE IS STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS AND I WISH I HAD HER FIGURE. GORGEOUS FIT ARMS AND TONED LEGS. SHE IS TRUE BEAUTY.

Jacky
Jacky

Love her style and her hairstyles.She is rocking those looks and bright colours are stunning on her.She gives African women another reason to be proud.

Alivan
Reply to  Jacky

Hello ..Thanks for sharing exlencelt informations. Your website is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal

geri
geri

she is absolutely amazing! amaZING!

courtney
courtney

Her aquamarine Gucci dress is gorgeous on her. She is a beautiful woman and beautiful example for little black girls to see their own reflection and likeness. Proud of this young lady. Her nationality is KENYAN but she was born in Mexico city. So, little black girls, be proud and hold your head high. Those specifically of darker hues. 🙂

JJ
JJ

When Mexicans and Latinos from South America immigrate to the United States illegally and have children we don’t consider there children to be “American”. So if ethnicity and race is a pick and choose on when we want it to mean one thing over another then it’s solely up to what that person believes and says they are.

Sequitta
Sequitta
Reply to  JJ

Actually, if illegal immigrants have a child in the US, the child in fact IS an American…any person born in the U.S. is an American citizen…

JJLIP
JJLIP
Reply to  Sequitta

I agree.

JJLIP
JJLIP
Reply to  JJ

I agree

Froregade
Froregade
Reply to  JJ

I think you’re mixing up Ethnicity/Race with Nationality. So… you may want to look those up real quick.

Reece
Reece

Beautiful!

cassandra
cassandra

She is extremely gorgeous.

Christina
Christina

Her arms are SO toned. Not to mention that s,mile and that skin… The list goes on. Bottomline: gorgeous.

sarafina
sarafina

der r million other africans who hv the same dark skinned tone, same hair do and much more beautiful than her but hv always being made fan off. its abt time dark skinned blacks learn to embrace our blackness n stop mixing creams n lotions to be brighter. ders nothing realy extra ordinary abt her but shes so confident in her skinned, the way she carries herself, excellent, she just so natural and dats golden.

JJLIP
JJLIP
Reply to  sarafina

Shut the hell up she is gorgeous! She has beautiful features like a doll. One could fashion a doll afte her. She doesn’t have the best butt or boobs but face is prettier than most women have.

Sharon J
Sharon J

Gorgeous! She has great style, too.

Laura
Laura

She’s Kenyan, not Mexican. Not cool.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Laura

she was born in Mexico though so you can say she’s Mexican-born

Laura
Laura
Reply to  Jasmine

I was born on an airplane during a flight while it was over the Atlantic ocean…what would you say about me? I belong to the ocean?

SamtheDiva
SamtheDiva
Reply to  Laura

Lol, I think you’d be a mermaid! …I couldn’t resist adding some humor to this because she’s clearly not ethnically Mexican.

Cami
Cami
Reply to  Laura

Nope Laura, you’re a beautiful free spirit!

In fact, I’ll go a step further and give you your own “theme song”. How about Deniece Williams’ classic, “Black Butterfly”?? ;o)

Mere
Mere
Reply to  Laura

She said she’s Mexican herself, a proud Mexican at that…why is there even a debate about this??

Tracienatural
Tracienatural

Not that this hasn’t been debated ad nauseum by now, but I’d like to give my opinion regarding Lupita’s nationality. If Lupita was not famous, there is no way that Mexico would want to claim her, but now that she’s on the red carpet, there is a debate? Anywho, I have read some comments from people who are presumably African-American, presumably descended from African-Americans for a number of generations, who hold the belief that place of birth is so paramount that it must be mentioned along with, if not before, someone’s heritage. (No offense intended, so please don’t take offense).… Read more »

jasmine
jasmine
Reply to  Tracienatural

say ALLLLLL that! so true!

chicagomum
chicagomum

I hope she wins the Oscar for Supporting Actress; as she was amazing in 12 Years a Slave, and I hope to continue so see more of her beautiful self long after all this awards hoopla dies down…

Skyler
Skyler

I love her choices of color and cut in her dresses. They’re so elegant and she looks stunning!!!

Brittany. L

Lupita is something serious i’m telling you!!!

Go check Out http://www.curlskinksfashion.com To see another Lupita look today and also got some fun fashion & hair tips

A. N
A. N

Lupita is a Kenyan Luo, according to Luo customs she takes after the fathers bloodline and is a Luo- Kenyan, but according to the world she is Mexican, African customs don’t matter? I am tired of the world looking down on us as if we are inferior and our customs do not matter. This is the first time a Kenyan and a black African actress has been nominated for an Oscar. Is the rest of the world only comfortable with civil war and poverty that we cannot be allowed to shine? If she was a child dying in a civil… Read more »

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African
Reply to  A. N

If she was a child dying in a civil war, no way would she have been referred to as Mexican.” I’ve been thinking the same thing myself. The media doesn’t keep saying “Canadian-born Justin Bieber,” “Australian-born Cate Blanchett,” each time there’s a news item about them. She went back to Kenya when she was less than 12 months old!

Rho
Rho
Reply to  A. N

Thank you for this. I have been trying to say the same thing. I am Kenyan and I also do feel insulted with the media and some Mexicans trying to claim her as their own. Until Lupita says she is Mexican, she remains Kenyan. She always says she is Kenyan but was born in Mexico. She has never said she is Mexican.

g
g

the first outfit is dead on perfection! like whoa!
she’s beautiful…so elegant. wonderful.

Tyler

Does anyone notice that her hairline changes from photo to photo? She had a “widow’s peak” done on her forehead.

Tyler

Ain't I an African
Ain't I an African
Reply to  Tyler

I had no idea that a TWA was this versatile! A bit embarrassed that my main style is a puff.

Beth
Beth

She’s having some sort of reaction to all the make up she’s had to wear lately, her skin has been looking rough. But left to it’s own devices I’m sure it would return to the perfection that is common with dark skinned Africans.

Brittany Upshaw
Brittany Upshaw
Reply to  Beth

Pretty sure her skin has been as radiant as ever. Have we been looking at the same woman? Lol smh

Ugonna Wosu

I wasn’t crazy about last night’s Oscar dress, but she has established herself as a great dresser and fashion icon. Love Lupita

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

I loved the dress and liked the hair style, didn’t favor the orange-toned lip or muted eye — but that’s me, I always want Black women to go “live” with color instead of stay safe. Wish I could see the shoes.….

Reply to  Elle

I just didn’t feel there was anything new or different about the dress.

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

True. The last time I saw anything different was Diablo Cody or when Trey Parker and Matt Stone showed up, Lol!

Elle
Elle

I understand some of the dissent.…however this may be a cultural misunderstanding. Just my perspective.… In some western countries, North America for instance, we tend to be more politically correct about national/ethnic identity to avoid presumption (i.e. being Canadian or American doesn’t auto-designate ‘White Anglo-Saxon Protestant’) until we know a person’s preference. Publicly we keep in line with the idea of national and cultural inclusiveness, separate from race/ethnicity, religion. Noting someone’s birthplace or their secondary culture is NOT necessarily an attempt to dismiss these things. It’s been an unsolved question for centuries and an ongoing challenge that goes beyond this… Read more »

Pat
Pat

She is beautiful and talented, it’s so refreshing to see a woman of color not ashamed of her hair by hiding it under wigs and weaves. I’m a fan!! Her mother taught her to be proud of herself as she is and that’s a blessing!!

Brianna Love
Brianna Love

She’s so beautiful! 🙂

TMC toronto meetup march 29th

go lupita! I love the outfits where her chest is covered.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Lupita

The Lupita Nyong’o style is better black women why reañ hair ‚I love Lupita , Africa Pride

Tysh

I really do love lupita style,i think through all her apparences on the red carpet i only dislike just one dress but all the dresses that she wore were all excellent choices.The colors were perfect.

I love the Givenchy brown dress… it is so elegant and flawless look.

I just hope that she will last in this industry because it is a taugh one but i believe sincerely she will.

God Bless