Should You Oil Your Hair Every Day?

Avatar • Feb 28, 2014

coconut-oil

Oiling hair is an integral , if not almost compulsory part of most natural hair routines. However, not every natural will religiously oil their hair on a daily basis. Daily hair oiling, however could be beneficial for some as:

1. The extra oil layer will help to block moisture loss from hair (J Cosmet Sci, pp 135–145 2007).
2. If you use a penetrative oil like coconut oil, you will have hair that is more resistant to breakage during daily styling or washing (J Cosmet Sci, pp 203–208, 2011).
3. Oil can enhance hair’s feeling of softness.

How to Oil Hair Daily

There are three main ways that you can choose to oil your hair on a daily basis:
— An excess of oil applied to hair overnight which is washed or rinsed off the next day
— A small amount of oil applied to dry hair at the tips (last 3 inches or so)
— A small amount of oil applied to hair as part of a daily moisturizing routine involving water or a water based product as well.

Is Daily Oiling For You?

1. Aesthetics
I could literally dip my hair in a bucket of oil, wipe off the excess and my hair would not look oily even if it is. However, this is not the case for everyone. If your hair looks greasy or becomes more difficult to handle when oily, daily oiling may not be for you. You may certainly still try it paying attention to really using as little oil as possible.

2. Scalp Issues
If you have scalp issues such as dandruff or a generally sensitive scalp, daily oiling may not suit you. There are certain oils such as tea tree or neem oil which may help but in general, most natural oils are not suited to be applied to the scalp if it is sensitive. If you are able to apply a small amount of oil just to the tips of hair and it proves not to irritate, this is perfectly acceptable.

3. Daily Exerciser
If you are active and choose to also wash your hair daily after sweating it out, daily oiling really could make a huge difference to your hair. One study has shown that hair damage and breakage was significantly reduced by pre-shampoo oiling of hair compared to using shampoo alone. The subjects in this study washed their hair daily over a 16 week period (J Cosmet Sci, pp 203–208, 2011). You may have already guessed that coconut oil was the oil of choice in this study too.

Ladies, do you oil your hair every day? Why or why not?

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

dmalikat

I don’t put oil on my hair after I style it. Only when I take down the style or if I re-twist I’ll use oil again on my hands to take down. What I don’t do is put oil all over my hair. I find that when I do this it attracts dirt and small fibers that get caught in my hair and cause additional tangles. I’ll literally see pieces of small dust balls in my hair loss. I’d rather wash / co-wash more frequently than to have longer days that cause more tangles. I included an image of my… Read more »

PMS
PMS
Reply to  dmalikat

I too have found w excess oil I end up w SSKs plus lint in the knots. I can’t do too much oil due to the lint magnet my hair becomes.

Mikey
Mikey

Everybody just does whatever works for their hair without set rules.

I used to follow advice, especially corroborated by tests etc like coconut doesnt work for my hair, neither does oil rinsing, disappointing but oh well,

Am just liberal with my hair these days, sometimes I will oil daily, sometimes not, depends..

Dorian
Reply to  Mikey

I agree. Early in my journey, I used to follow so much advice and then it got too overwhelming. I mean that is the reason I went natural in the first place. I wanted to liberate myself and then I was feeling like my natural hair was holding me hostage. So to answer the question, I just listen to what my hair wants and do it.

JenniD
JenniD
Reply to  Dorian

I don’t understand replies like these two. More information about something never hurts. I have been natural for a while, trust and believe things stop working and sometimes its good to have information somewhere that can help you through a rough patch, literally. One does not have to run out and try everything that is written. Any who back to the topic at hand, I oil every day just about to keep the tangles at bay and to give my hair a shine which it does not have naturally. Its no more than 2 or 3 light drops. As I… Read more »

Mikey
Mikey
Reply to  JenniD

Maybe you are misunderstanding the intent, its more of a disclaimer than anything else, when you see reports supported by scientific evidence, you can believe that there is something wrong with your hair and end up frustrated with it, that has happened to me and I believe to most newbies as well, then after that one starts becoming their own hair guru.. It is more of a disclaimer to other newbies who are reading, just like that other biotin article, some efforts are disastrous, others are not, just because JC is a scientist, give scientific facts and evidence does not… Read more »

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Mikey

Mikey I wrote an article ages back in this same blog stating why it is important to make decisions for yourself based on your hair’s response and the limitations of science — http://bglh-marketplace.com/2011/10/do-you-need-science-to-understand-black-hair/

There is nowhere in this article where I said, you MUST oil your hair daily. It simply is an information based article telling the reader why daily oiling may be beneficial and who may benefit the most.

DiJah
DiJah

I comb my hair everyday, and if I oil my hair, my gel won’t hold my hair, so no..I do not oil my hair every day. Every other day (night) or so. Depends on how my hair is feeling. But definitely not every day.

Dananana
Dananana

I oil my hair daily, but my method differs depending on what my hair is doing that day. If she’s tucked away in a pinned-up loose twist updo, I spritz her with my water/glycerin mix, spray a quarter sized amount of my oil mix into my hands, and pat the oil on top of the style. If she’s out and wild and free, I massage my scalp with lavender/tea tree EO, then I mix a dime size amount of oil with the same amount of leave-in and pat/smooth the mixture on to my ends. I don’t have any serious build… Read more »

Tamia
Tamia

I was reading this and my hair is sooooo dry. I want to co-wash but idk if I want to. I feel as if I don’t now its going to break off any minuet.

Nicole
Nicole
Reply to  Tamia

Tamia, what do you use to oil? Gro aut oil is good to use. Doing a black tea rinse will strengthen your hair. Taking vitamins help also.

Lansky
Lansky

I have braids right now and I just use a bottle of spray with water + olive oil every two days. 🙂 Work just fine. I just wanna make sure my hair under the braids ain’t dry.

LBell
LBell

Funny to see this article because this week, for the first time in a very long time, I overdid it on the oil…or, more specifically, on the whipped shea butter. And once again I learned a lesson about my hair: What works in the frigid north may not necessarily work in the more temperate south.

The frequency with which I oil my hair depends on the style I’m wearing. However, as a general rule, I try to put a little something on my ends every day.

imani
imani

I’ve learned that too much oil reapplication gives me buildup&crazy dandruff issues. I’ve. Learned to reapply oil every 2–3 days very sparingly. I concentrate on the ends. Especialy when I do twist outs,its all abt the last 3inches of my hair. Everybodys different.plus when I use 2 much oil all I get is an oil soaked pillowcase that I rest my face on at night & that’s not good either!

Abby

I think it depends on your hair type. If yours is naturally dry and coarse, then regular oil treatment might benefit in making your texture a bit softer and also come with that shiny finish. But if both hair and scalp can get greasy quickly, then I think it is best to do it a few times in a month.

Aye
Aye

I do not oil everyday because I wear locs and I don’t want buildup in my locs. I should probably oil more than I do, though.

Tyler

Daily oiling sounds excess to me. I think it’s best to leave it for wash day.

Tyler
onelittleblackdress.com

Siboniso Ndlovu
Siboniso Ndlovu

Like others are saying it really depends on your hair and what it responds to. I oil my hair daily with the recipe I got off the internet and it loves it. The only embarrassment is when people just stick their hands into my hair, which I really hate by the way, they come out with oily hands but my hair doesn’t look oily. My hair is loving the oil. I am in Nairobi, Kenya and right now it is hot that my hair needs and loves that oil. I am going to Tanzania tomorrow which is way hotter so… Read more »

chalise
chalise

is there anyone that doesn’t oil theirs at all? lol i feel like such a natchal oddball on this one!

Leslie
Leslie

I frequently find myself oiling little patches of dry scalp because of an extreme case of dandruff. I use BERGAMONT hair grease by Softsheen or Sulfur 8 Medicated because the other oils don’t seem to work. My scalp absorbs it so fast that the next day the dandruff is back again. Because of the harsh winter here in Michigan, I’ve been keeping my hair in 4 large braids under my wigs as a protective style. I don’t want my hair under a wool hat or being pulled out by turtlenecks, or matted on the bottom because of coat collars and… Read more »

aisha
aisha

I have extremely dry hair but my scalp has a dandruff problem.. What should I do?

Ashley
Ashley
Reply to  aisha

Try a pre shampoo oil conditioner treatment using half a knob of ginger juiced or grind up into a lumpy paste (I juiced mine) and 2 TBS of olive oil mixed, leave on hair with plastic cap for 30 minutes rinse with mild shampoo and warm water, followup with deep conditioner (ors olive oil deep conditioner). I let it sit on my hair for 1 hour with plastic cap, then rinse out. I let my hair air dry (no blow dryer), then I flat iron as usual (using heat protection), I use ors heat protection serum. Has been a miracle… Read more »

Rosesaresweet Marie Cooper
Rosesaresweet Marie Cooper
Reply to  aisha

Try using tee tree oil or been oil for the scalp and getting a good natural leave in hair conditioner that is creme or pudding based add extra oil in it and only apply to body of hair while leaving some distance away from scalp while applying. Then just get a leave in daily conditioner spray for your protective styles

Juan Martin

I have to oil my hair DAILY. It is mandatory if I don’t want to see breakage of new growth.

alina
alina

heyloo 🙂 i live in a dry area and warm weather. i had a little thin but very silky hair but in the last year i am suffering from hair loss and my hair got thinner and dried. i almost lost my silkiness. what you recommend to get back my thick hair?
ps- it was a good article though thanks for it.

Sandra
Sandra
Reply to  alina

You should keep your hair moisturized and wear protective hairstyles

Alice Kingsley
Alice Kingsley

Hair growth articles suggest to oil my hair once a week or once a month. I feel that I want to oil my hair every 2–3 nights (mostly the day before or on the day I take a shower.) I watched a video about how I could grow out 3–5 inches in a week and I feel like trying it out to see if it works for me or not. Since I ordered peppermint, tea tree and Castor oil at Target.com and Amazon, I found a mixture that I could use to promote the growth. Not only am I trying… Read more »

Ashley C
Ashley C

I did a pre poo oil conditioning treatment using ginger juice and olive oil (leave on for 30 minutes before washing out). And my scalp has not itched since it’s been 4 days without oiling my scalp because I usually oil my scalp daily or at least every other day. It’s amazing, all I have done is apply oil to my ends and hair shaft (not scalp) and seems to be better for my hair. Instead of washing my hair once a week, I also switched to once every 2 weeks and now my breakage has stopped and my scalp… Read more »

James Neo
James Neo

Hi all !

Coconut oil in particular has been shown to protect you from viruses, bacteria, infection, cancer, thyroid, brain and heart problems… plus beautifies your skin — and even burns fat! http://bit.ly/1Gs336U

raquel
raquel

I have a severe hair loss, I can literally see some bald spots on my head. Im currently leaving in a very hot climate and very salty water. I ve consulted doctors, ayurvedic and tried a lot of products but still the same issue Im facing. At the moment, Im using hair strengtening and hair fall repair oil twice a week. My friend gave me pure coconut oil, is it safe to use daily on scalp overnight or 30 to 1 hour daily? Any suggestions, please.

ShoSho
ShoSho
Reply to  raquel

Use tea bags. I saw this on Naptural85’s youtube channel and recommended to a friend and she said it absolutely work for hair shedding and loss. In the comments of the video everyone seemed to have the same appraisals. Just go to youtube and type in “Naptural 85 tea for hair shedding,” or something similar and it should bring up her video.

Ayda
Ayda

How do I know if my hair is too oily or if I’m oiling my hair too much ?? Are there signs or something??

Ayda
Ayda

And how do I know if a hair regimen is actually working ???