Néhémie // 3C/4A Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 22, 2014

bglh00

Introduce yourself!
N:
Hello Beautiful people! My name is Néhémie Nelcidor, born and raised in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. I now reside in South Florida 🙂

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
N:
I have been natural for most of my life really. I had a texturizer that lasted for a couple of years and went right back to my natural state. I’ve always loved my hair and wanted my frizzy curls back. After high school graduation and on my 18th Birthday, I decided to get a perm/texturizer, which did not last long. I had dry, brittle hair and split ends up to my roots lol. I refused to trim them at the time because I was close to reaching bra strap length. It took me 18 years to grow that hair and for someone to come and chop it all off to me was ludicrous.

My hair started to change color and I was shedding like a puppy No Bueno! So I went along with the “trim” which by the way was inarguably a HAIRCUT. I looked like everyone else with straight hair that only reached neck length. I was not pleased with the cut and I turned to extensions and wigs for comfort. That’s when I started to transition. The more my hair grew, the harder it was for me to run a comb through it. I was frustrated with my hair so I looked for a pair of scissors and… Let’s just say I knew how Brittney Spears felt that day haha. Could have shaved it off, luckily there were no clippers in sight. That was summer 2010; I have not gone through any major crisis of that sort since.

How would you describe your texture?
N:
Hmmm my hair has its own mind I have to tell you. Some days I can see curls and waves, other days I’m looking like models from a Garnier Fructis commercial in desperate need of some sleek and shine serum lol. My hair looks coarse, but it’s really fine. It curls up after I wash it and I have to use tons of curling products if I want to keep those curls for a night out. I think my texture may be a combination of 3c and 4a. I may be wrong, but all I know is that we are blessed with gorgeous locks and we should embrace every single strand.

5image

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
N:
I wear my hair up a lot mostly in buns unless I’m going somewhere “fancy” lol. I’m so used to keeping my hair pinned back and off my face because of my job (the military) that I don’t care much to let it out. I also have no time to sit home and detangle away, so I keep my hair in protective styles with braided or tucked ends.

What does wash day look like for you?
N:
Ha! Where do I start? lol I believe wash day should be a holiday because the process can take up to an entire day for me. I start by parting my hair in 4 sections to deep condition. I like to try different kind of deep conditioning regimens, but my personal favorite is a DIY coconut milk and honey mixture. I pour both the coconut milk and some honey in a closed container, shake it vigorously to mix them well then apply a generous amount to my dry and thirsty mane. I let it sit for half an hour or so then rinse it out section by section. I leave it in for 15 minutes then apply Herbal Essences Totally Twisted (if I want a curly look) Bioinfusion or Organix Keratin Therapy for extra strength, (so the labels say lol) Head & Shoulders or Pantene just because they smell great and they are always on sale 🙂 I towel dry my hair and while my hair is still sectioned I heat up shea butter and Haitian castor oil for a hair therapy session. I enjoy washing my hair because it is a form of meditation for me. My favorite part is when I get to massage my scalp right before I braid my hair. I either let it air dry in the braids or put it up in a bun if I need to go somewhere.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
N:
Buns or wigs solve all my problems. I wear my wigs for absolute emergencies; having cornrows in training for instance. If I want to keep my braids for the next day, but have to go out the night before, my wigs are coming out lol.

How do you combat shrinkage?
N:
My hair is always in a protective style. I don’t worry much about shrinkage unless I’m checking for growth, but it does stretch out the next day when I braid it at night.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
N:
The back of my head. It’s always dry and hard to detangle. I finger detangle that section with lots of leave in conditioner.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
N:
1. MOISTURIZE! When in doubt, moisturize. I mix water with Haitian castor oil and leave-in conditioner in a spray bottle. That stuff works miracles. 2. Braid/Twist and tie it at night. Hair milk and hair lotion leave my hair feeling and looking soft in the morning.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
N:
1. Wash and go. I make sure I allow extra time to style my hair and protect my ends. 2. Leaving braids in for a long period of time or getting sew-ins. The braids don’t usually protect my hair as I lose a lot of hair after I take the braids out.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
N:
The one and only Facebook lol — Néhémie Nelcidor: https://www.facebook.com/nnelcidor?fref=ts.

About Meosha

sue
sue

your hair is giving me life

LovingMe2
LovingMe2

Beautiful hair, beautiful woman! Thank you for your service to our country!

Karen
Karen

Beautiful thick hair and such a lovely face. Go on with your bad self Haiti lol

Brianna Love
Brianna Love

STUNNING! Beautiful hair girl!!! 🙂

youngin girl
youngin girl

Military style icon! I want to see more Military women featured on here. This would be a great start.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

how does Haitian Castor Oil stack up against the Jamaican one? Beautiful girl and hair by the way.

Néhémie
Néhémie
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

I honestly do not know the answer to that question. All I can say is when it comes to castor oil, I stick to what I know. For the first 12 years of my life in Haiti, I’ve used noting but castor oil made by my grandmoother mixed with blue magic hair pomade. I’m sure there isn’t much of a difference. With so many different oils out there, I refuse to be a product junkie lol

sb
sb

your ‘fro is the business!

jjac401
jjac401
Reply to  sb

Yep! The absolute biznasss! Loving your Fro!

Lana
Lana

A little off topic but I thought braids/cornrows etc weren’t allowed in the military.

Denisha
Denisha
Reply to  Lana

They aren’t.

Caught me off guard when I saw that.

Denisha
Denisha
Reply to  Denisha

I’m sorry. I take that back! They are! But they’re supposed to go straight back and can’t be wider then a certain width. The braids with the bun she has is definitely a no no.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Denisha

isn’t she from Haiti anyway? I’m ignorant about these things, but maybe y’all shouldn’t expect the rules to be the same there.

Kita
Reply to  Denisha

as someone currently in the military (air force so it could be drastically different from army) braids are allowed, even microbraids and box braids but the width/dimensions of the braids have to be within regulation. her braids in the front with the bun aren’t wrong but each installation has its types of hair it likes to pic on. locs aren’t allowed at ALL but some bases don’t care while others will command direct you to shave all of your hair off or face repercussions. it truly depends but the military TRULY cares about a neat and professional appearance at the… Read more »

Aaliyah
Aaliyah

YEAH!!!! Military AND Ayisyen !!!

Néhémie
Néhémie

Forgive me but according to the Army Regulation; AR 670–1 http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf (page 3) “MANY HAIRSTYLES ARE ACCEPTABLE, as long as they are neat and conservative. It is NOT possible to address every acceptable hairstyle, or what constitutes eccentric or conservative grooming. It is the responsibility of Leaders at all levels to exercise good judgment in the enforcement of Army policy. Extreme, eccentric, or trendy haircuts or hairstyles are not authorized. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative. DREADLOCKS (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes… Read more »

Aquarius
Aquarius

What Nehemie said is absolutely correct, I assume most of the women here are not Active Duty therefore are only speculating about rules and regulations. I’m currently deployed now and all I see are beautiful naturalista’s wearing cornrows, even the ones that go into the bun.

This brings me to another question, the water here in horrible! Do you use these same products while you’re deployed?! I feel like the products I used state side hold no weight here!

Thanks 🙂

Néhémie
Néhémie
Reply to  Aquarius

Lol thank you! I had received enough crap about my hair in basic training for me not to comply with the regulations. I braid the front of my hair when I don’t have time to cornrow because it keeps hair off my face from removing my head gear So many times & I can’t just brush my hair back because the hat won’t fit lol something’s gotta give… Water and pomade or oil (if they have any) will work. Stay away from hair gel or you won’t come back with edges lol Don’t wash them too often may sound gross… Read more »

angie
angie

Beautiful! I’m from the DR and have your same texture, so I guess I could use some of your advices 🙂 .

The only thing I dont agree with is that the wash and go is a No-no for this kind of hair. Wash and go is my main style (Im kinda lazy. Lol) and haven’t had any trouble with it, but when I braid my hair while is wet and let it dry like that I find that cause my a lot of sheeding.

Néhémie
Néhémie
Reply to  angie

My wash n go never last more than a day lol which means back to detangling and another washing process I go. I used to love it in my “college days” lol when I first BC. now I have to wake up early n all & the hair has gotten a lot longer and fuller I have no time to detangle so I hop in the shower hoping for a hair miracle lol as a result, I start to shed 🙁 the oils I use to braid my hair after I towel dry keep it from falling out. I experience… Read more »

angie
angie
Reply to  Néhémie

Brillo! LOL
Well, I’ ll give it a try and see what happens. Thanx! 🙂

Cayce
Cayce

Yay! I love seeing military naturals! Me being active duty Air Force the struggle can be real sometimes but I rock my natural proudly (and within regs of course) lol! I feel you about our edges though, constantly pulling our hair back can sometimes take a toll so I usually twist or braid up the front of my hair as well, then pull the rest into a bun/ponytail. Works for me and my leadership hasn’t ever had a problem with it. Sidenote: braids/cornrows are definitely authorized as long as they’re not worn faddish.

Asana

Wow my Haitian sisters are beautiful! …and their thick hair(it must be the castor oil (I love it too!) lol) Love this feature!

whatshetaughther.blogspot.com

Amma Mama

Beautiful hair and skin.

Tyler

This hair looks REALLY healthy.

Tyler

Yas
Yas

Who cares about regulations? Your twists and fro are the bizness girl! I wish I could get my twists to look like that. 🙂

g
g

she is very beautiful and her name as well

Betty Eliacin
Betty Eliacin

I just got some castor oil (lwil maskreti) today from Haiti, the best oil irs good for everything: pain, headache, hair, GI etc lololol

chalise
chalise

outta curiosity, how do you pronounce your name? it looks like it sounds beautiful but i’m really bad with french accent marks. is it pronounced like “Nah-hay-mee”?

lockstress
lockstress

I’m Haitian as well and if I’m not mistaken the castor oil is made the same as the Jamaican castor oil…only difference is the nationality. Lol.

Sak Passe Haitain princess.
Thank you for your service.

Janikah
Janikah

I am Haitian too! Our hair seems very similar and btw you are so beautiful!

Karjiana
Karjiana

I’m Haitian too. My mom is from Port-au-Prince.