Ka’Ra // Natural Hair Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 9, 2014

IMG_1289

Introduce yourself!
K:
Greetings my name is Ka’Ra Kersey. I am a singer, mother and Art/Choir/Gardening Teacher for the City of Oakland. Born and raised in the Berkeley, Bay area of California.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
K:
I’ve been natural my whole life. I decided to lock my curly afro when I kept having very visual dreams of having them. They were a part of me, and I was at my highest state of freedom in each dream. I woke up feeling spiritually free and so, I decided that I’d lock up my hair. It’s now been 5 years.

How would you describe your texture?
K:
I have a lot of hair and it is super thick. Its textures differ in certain parts. My crown has looser, thinner curls. The back of my hair is straight AFRAKA. No curl, kinky and very thick.

What method was used to start your locs?
K:
I went to a close friend of mine and she started my locks. She used the twisties method. I’ve never counted my locks. I do not believe in counting them.

521892_10201745338061110_2062506669_n

How do you style your locs?
K:
I usually make a crown on my head. I gather and twirl down about 3–4 of my locks and make a crown on my head. I keep the back of my locks down and out to show a 2 dimensional look. If I’m on the go and don’t have time for the crown I gather two areas of the front of my hair, knot them up into a bun, and let the back down.

What does wash day look like for you?
K:
Wash day consists of applying an all natural henna. The kind in powder form that you mix up. I add vinegar to it to really do a deep cleanse and add moisture. The henna forms into a clay mask and restores my locks. I’ve also noticed how it aids in lint blockage. I keep the henna in for 24 hours and wash it out with water.

While my locks are still wet I apply my homemade oil all over until my hair is drenched in oil. I will then either twist each lock all the way down till there are little buns all over my head, or braid them up to dry. Ingredients for oil: few drops of rosemary essential oil for hair growth, 1/2 cup of all natural coconut oil, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and a couple pinches of shea butter. I mix them all together and depending on the room temperature it can be an oil, or a butter.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
K:
My hair has no problem areas. I just make sure to keep it super moisturized because my locks will get dry.

What are 2 do’s for your locs?
K:
I like to twist my locks at the roots once a month and I love to have them down and free.

What are 2 don’ts for your locs?
K:
Don’t over twist my locks to prevent thinning at the roots and no more dyeing my locks with chemicals!

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
K:
SoundCloud.com/kara_kersey
Instagram: karakersey
Tumblr: kara_kersey

About Meosha

Brianna
Brianna

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a cute baby!!! 🙂

youngin girl
youngin girl

The 5th and 12th photos makes you look like a shining angel. Your locs totally define you and compliment every ray of sunshine that shines in your pictures and in reality. I think your maintenance with it is what sets it. Locs are totally you and you rock them by being a ray of sunshine and you have cute features. Your baby is adorable. I like the neckalace in between your eyes and the purple scarf. Your so efficient and bright with your style;so cool.

Kay
Kay

best example of expressed individuality that i’ve seen on this site in a while.. maybe ever.

Elle
Elle

Breathtaking! The photo w/the microphone is gorgeous, SHE and her hair are gorgeous.

Kate

You’re truly an inspiration to all. IMHO everyone should express their individuality through style and beauty. You did an amazing job Ka’Ra!

Love these pics, they look vintage 🙂

Kate

Aj
Aj

I thought I was the only one who hennaed on wash day! Ha! Henna is a great cleanser.. I loved this, I wish my dreams would speak to me too..

Brittany. L

I like her style it’s different i’m getting a bohemian dope vibe from her lol.

Go check out http://www.curlskinksfashion.com to see some stylish tressinistas and more

LaNeshe

She is just beautiful!

willo
willo

you look like a beautiful goddess or a forest faerie :)))

Aushlee
Aushlee

all I can say is WOW and how awesome it is to see a lady with locs on here. Herconfidence is inspiration. Go, girl. Excellent post on Ka’Ra.

G
G

Wow! You are gorgeous and your hair is amazing! I’m considering locs myself and this was such an inspiration. I’ve actually been having lots of dreams about mine too… Thanks for sharing!

alt-K
alt-K

You are very beautiful!

trackback

[…] Ka’Ra // Natural Hair Style Icon | Black Girl with Long Hair http://bglh-marketplace.com/How do you style your locs? K: I usually make a crown on my head. I gather and twirl down about 3–4 of my locks and make a crown on my head. I keep the back of my locks down and out to show a 2 dimensional look. …. 3 Must-Read DIY Beauty Tips. 4 Products Every Natural Girl Needs. How To Whiten Your Teeth for Less Than $1. The BEST Hair Weave Before and Afters. How To Straighten Hair Without A Straightener. The 15 Biggest Beauty… Read more »

Ms. Vee
Ms. Vee

I love locs! Beautiful woman and child.

Dee
Dee

I knew her back when we were teens. She really is a good soul

trackback