Jessica // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Feb 25, 2014

IMG_0865

Introduce yourself!
J:
My name is Jessica Fraser also known as Thee Shopaholic.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I have been natural since January 1, 2012. I went natural because I wanted a new look. I didn’t experience a bad relaxer, I didn’t experience breakage, and I didn’t do it because it was the latest trend. I went natural because I wanted a hair cut! I had a short relaxed haircut three years prior, and I didn’t like the look. (I have a really big head lol) so I decided to do the short natural look in hopes of having a more voluminous short coif to match my voluminous forehead lol.

How would you describe your texture?
J:
I have never really considered formal “hair typing” but if I had to describe my texture I would say it is a combination of all the 4’s. The back of my hair is super defined and curly and the middle section of my hair is more kinky/wavy. Almost like the definition you would get on day one after a twist out. And the front of my hair has yet to be determined… due to color and heat damage :(. My hair is quite fine, but I have a lot of strands. When my hair is freshly washed it isn’t very big at all, but has the potential to be a huge fro with lots of help from my trusty Afro pick.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
My hair changes far too much for me to have a distinct regimen, but my go-to style when I am wearing my hair out is a flat twist out. I wash my hair with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo if my hair requires shampooing, which I haven’t done in about 8 months… Aside from after taking down my braids. I mostly co wash with As I Am and currently Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Co-Wash. When I first went natural and had a TWA I would deep condition every Friday night, overnight and then Saturday was wash day. But now that I have a bit more length I deep condition less frequently than I should. My favorite leave in conditioner of all time is Koils by Nature Shealoe Leave-In Conditioner, but it is quite pricey at 22 dollars, plus I have to order it online.

IMG_9815

My leave-in of convenience is Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream. I seal with whatever oil I have on hand whether it came in a curlBOX or was picked up at a random natural hair event. I have yet to get my hands on a jar of coconut oil, but it is on my list of things to do. My go to butter is Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter. It has a great smell (I’m big on smells, which is also why I like the Koils by Nature Leave-In) but I have recently fallen in love with Oyin Handmade Hair Dew this winter. In terms of styling, I love the look of a perm rod set, and if time permits that’s usually my first choice. I set my hair with Entwine Couture Creme Jelle Styler. But if I don’t have a lot of dry time (I air dry ALWAYS) I will go for the flat twist out using just the Moisture Butter from Beautiful Textures and I will place the ends on a perm rod and set with Miss Jessie’s purple Curly Pudding.

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
J:
My go to style is the flat twist out, and in an emergency I will spritz with water and twist with the Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter and let that set for a minimum of 4 hours. But the colored part of my hair has decreased porosity and takes the longest to dry.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
I don’t really experience much shrinkage and am quite good at retaining length with my twist out. Thankfully my curls aren’t super tight and I’m grateful. Because of this I try not to use gels when styling because I find they elongate my curls too much and make it hard for me to maximize volume.

Tell us about your hair color?
J:
My hair color was done in a Dominican hair salon so I am not sure about the particulars due to the secrecy of these hair stylists nowadays. Not to mention the language barrier. I pointed to a shade of blonde in a book and hoped for the best. My hair was processed once and rinsed out. The lift of color has definitely changed the texture of my hair and it was noticeable almost immediately. Since I only colored a small portion of my hair in the front where my texture is the straightest already it’s almost as if I relaxed my hair in the front. Some would argue that it may be a combination of heat damage from the two/three times I straightened my hair since my big chop. But it definitely changed mostly because of the color treatment.

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
The front of my hair requires the most attention when it comes to drying time, frizz and loss of definition. To maintain a style I almost always have to reset and/or retwist my hair in the front. The colored parts require the most care, but thankfully I don’t have problems with moisture.

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
Hair Do’s: Leave in conditioner is a must! Co washing is a must! My hair loves the moisture! My satin bonnet is a must! Lol my hair will turn into a parched, flat, tangled mess if I forget to put a bonnet on, forcing me to add an immediate wash day regimen if this happens. Wide tooth comb detangling in the shower only is a must! I’m working on mastering my finger detangling skills.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
Hair Don’ts!: Do not shampoo unless it is absolutely necessary! Do not use combs or any form of styling tools when my hair is completely dry… I spritz with water before attempting to detangle in between washdays. Do not go to sleep without a bonnet! After my twist out or rod set is completely dry and picked out DO NOT TOUCH! That goes for me as well. Lol

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
I have a YouTube channel: Thee Shopaholic and a blog: www.theeshopaholic.com and you can find me daily on Instagram: thee_shopaholic. Pretty much the theme here is “Thee Shopaholic” lol hope you enjoyed!

About Meosha

Tyler

You better rock those curls, girl!

Tyler

Proud Sarcastic
Proud Sarcastic

Stop making funny faces, it makes you look horrible.

saige
saige

Guess people can’t have a lil personality :/

JaimieE
JaimieE

Really? I’m loooooooovin those faces! Shows that she doesn’t take herself too seriously. Keep doin you, Jessica!

chalise
chalise

maybe if she had posted more it would have brightened your day a lil, cuz you suuuure could use it, CRABBY!

Proud Sarcastic Too
Proud Sarcastic Too

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as well.
Now if I say, ” But your hair looks great!”, do I get a pass?
And I love your lipstick colors.

chalise
chalise

i like the faces. means she’s okay with letting loose and not taking herself too srsly or thinks every single picture has to be a cutesy or sexy pic with the smoochy lips lol i get tired of those sometimes, so i find hers refreshing ^^

Tia
Tia

Great style!

Proud Sarcastic
Proud Sarcastic

Being very naughty so for the ugly comment.

ja
ja

Love your style. The baby pic was priceless 🙂

Rj
Rj

Please take all that makeup off,you look better without it.

Andie
Andie

What is with all the hate? Let’s try being supportive, loving, and encouraging! Beautiful pics, sis 🙂

Rj
Rj
Reply to  Andie

What hate?Do you want me to say please put on makeup you’ll look better?

chalise
chalise
Reply to  Rj

you’re mean. i think she looks fine with and without it. i can’t help but wonder what YOU look like without makeup. HMMMM?!?

lockstress
lockstress
Reply to  Rj

You’re one of those azzholes that masquerades “keeping it real” for rudeness. Shut the hell up jerk
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Surprise_No_One_Cares.jpg[/img]

Shannon
Shannon

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Redseouls
Redseouls

You have beautiful hair!

Brianna Love
Brianna Love

BEAUTIFUL hair and Woman! 🙂

Karen
Karen

Love the gold eye and pink lip look! And I LOVE that double braided top knot.

Stace
Stace

Wish there were more pictures of your hair un-manipulated. The braids and up do’s look good, though.

Unmanipulated shade
Unmanipulated shade
Reply to  Stace

We are the only race that condem our sisters for styling hair using the term manipulation as if its some mildly evil, molestation, or masking of our hair fibers. Not counting the late 60s — 70s era, other races have blown out, applied electrical heat, chemical, teased and not bear the lash of it being suggested they were unnatural, manipulated. They have the freedom to style. I however loved the range and style you showed, definitely appreciated. If someone have 10 photos of unstyled hair, It would be tasteless as well to suggest they should post more styles for my liking.… Read more »

chalise
chalise

i know! that violet lippie is too cute. she is pulling off all her lipstick so well. people like myself hafta work hard at it and still have it not always turn out right

Indigo
Indigo

I think they are just saying they want to see more pictures unmanipulated because they would like a better idea of what her hair texture looks like. I don’t think they were trying to condemn her.
Personally, it helps me to see the hair so i can understand how it’s similar or different than mine, and gauge what kind of success I’d have with whatever styles or products they use.
But anyway, I also thinks she looks great and I see absolutely nothing to hate on!

meeka
meeka

gorgeous !!! and i love all the lippies you are wearing!i will be running to MAC asap lol

Elle
Elle

You do the prettiest ‘ugly faces’, ever! Love the blue lip and all the styles, lovely baby photo as well, thanks for sharing!

AnonSince87
AnonSince87

Great hair! But…

I am not sure about the particulars due to the secrecy of these hair stylists nowadays. Not to mention the language barrier. I pointed to a shade of blonde in a book and hoped for the best.”

That made me quiver lol. Sounds like a ‘My hair fell out’ nightmare waiting to happen. Secrecy? Language barrier? Pointed & hoped for the best? *clutches pearls* luckily it worked out fine in the end! Lol.

Jessica
Reply to  AnonSince87

Lol it wasn’t as bad as it sounds the master colorist at the salon is Spanish. My stylist speaks fluent English and spoke for me but you know sometimes things can get lost in translation. Thanks for your kind words. They are appreciated!

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha

I notice that sometimes when people have full lips they push their mouth out and make little funny cute faces. My daughter does that as well. I tell her to Remember that people pay big bucks to get those beautiful full lips. Angelina Jolie. I enjoyed reading your page. Stay funny, happy, proud, and cute. This world will try to pull you down just give them that look in picture #2.

Youngin girl
Youngin girl

It does wonders for me and I do like her juxtaposes.

Amma Mama

Keep on being fabulous and stylish <3

nya
nya

Us Brits love a character. Love you and your lush bright and very full lips. People pay good money for those. Your endearing character shines throughout the interview and your photos. As for the description of your colour job, *knock me down with a tail feather*.…I love your colour. Keep pouting, duck facing and stay blessed. Love from the Uk.

saffron33
saffron33

I agree let’s support each other turn that negative energy into something positive

Proud Sarcastic
Proud Sarcastic

God Damn people stop saying shit that isn’t true to that girl.

Gerpha
Gerpha

The “Thankfully my curls aren’t super tight and I’m grateful.” bit is a bit disconcerting.