How to Use a Curling Wand on Natural Hair

Avatar • Feb 2, 2014

by Diedre of KeepitKinky

Hair curled with curling wand – Source

Curling wands were one of the most popular hair appliances of 2013. The great thing is they can easily be used on natural hair. Now, we don’t support the use of heat on a daily basis, but after getting home from work and having to head out for the New Year’s Eve party, this is a perfect hairstyle that you don’t have to set the night before. Watch the tutorials below to see how you can achieve these beautiful curls with a curling wand in minutes before leaving for your special night out.

Natural Hair curled with Curling Wand – Source

MeechyMonroe also did her own tutorial on YouTube. If the one above doesn’t quite work for you, try Meechy’s tutorial for how to curl natural hair with a curling wand below.

SUGGESTED PRODUCTS

Blow-drying Heat Protectant – Morfose Thermal Guard Serum with Argan Oil

Wand Curling Heat Protectant – IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum

Curling Wand – Any Remington Curling Wand

HAIR CARE TIPS!

• Always add heat protectant before applying any kind of heat to your hair.
  • If your curls start to drop, don’t reapply heat. This can be damaging. Pin curl your hair at night or tie your hair upwards to preserve curls.
  • If you still lose your curls, work with the hairstyle. Do an updo on day two and maybe a loose bun on day three. Remember, regular heat application can be damaging to natural hair and lead to the loss of curl definition and general drying/destruction of the hair structure.
    Ladies, have you tried using a curling wand? What was your experience? Do you have tips to contribute?

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

mangomadness
    mangomadness

I haven’t tried using a curling wand but I want to. I’d use the curling wand on hair stretched via a tenson blow out.

DiJah
    DiJah
    Reply to  mangomadness

Same idea came to mind.

Wanna try this in the spring time or even a summer night when I’m running behind time and didn’t prep my hair the night before

Marva

I’m itching to try! I love the idea of getting these types of curl without preparing overnight or all day!

Mel Stevens
    Mel Stevens

I actually enhance my curls with my karmin g3 clipless curling iron almost every day, it looks pretty awesome!

Love JAH
    Love JAH

Very cute!

Keshia

Great results on both of them! I’ve curled my natural hair with a curling wand before too and gotten beautiful results too!

-Keshia

Angela
    Angela

MeechyMonroe’s tutorial above is what inspired me to start curling my natural hair with a curling wand about a month ago. I usually wash/condition my hair and then stretch it overnight using the banding method. Then i curl in the morning. The curls make my hair appear fuller and full of body. I have worn it down in and different updos. I have only been able to keep this look for 1–2 days only because I workout daily, but its definitely a good style I use about every other week or so.

Marvice
    Marvice

Beautiful hair, I always wondered how that style was done. Thanks for the tutorial.

KingLucy

I tried it yesterday! I loved the results!
    [img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/image‑8.jpg[/img]

Lauren

Very nice, Lucy. I absolutely love using a curling wand. Glad to see there are others out there that love them as much as me…

Lauren

oh, and thanks for the tutorials. Always nice to see some new techniques.

Andiegurl
    Andiegurl

I can’t wait to try this! Luved both of their tutorials.