The LOG Method for Shiny, Defined and Moisturized Wash and Go’s

Avatar • Feb 6, 2014

by Emily Cottontop of BlackHairInformation.com

The LOG Method For A Shiny Moisturized Wash And Go

I know, I know, I know. Yet another method of doing something for our natural hair and we are practically drowning in acronyms already! Well this was all inspired by LHDC-TV on YouTube, she coined the phrase so don’t kill me!

LOG stands for Liquid, Oil, Gel, and its just a cute way of remembering how she is currently doing her wash and go’s, and quite frankly its kinda cool too!

We loved how dope her wash and go looked at the end of her process but most importantly, it looked so shiny and according to the video she is able to keep her hair moisturized throughout the week using the method.

The difference is that she added an extra step after her co wash but before applying gel. After her hair was detangled, she sealed each section with oil and twisted it up.

She then proceeded to spray the section with water before covering with a plastic cap and sitting under the dryer for 20 minutes then proceeding to apply the gel in sections. Basically it sounds like a cross between an oil rinse and a hot oil treatment on steroids!

In any case the oil/water/hooded dryer combo seems to create an excellent seal keeping her hair hydrated as well as giving her final look that shiny finish. Inspired!

How many times have you done a wash and go only to have it dry out by day three and have to step in the shower to repeat the process? Most of us like the fullness of a wash and go but would like to at least have it last for five days, 7 if we are lucky.
Read the rest at Black Hair Information

Ladies, how do you keep your wash and go’s moisturized and defined?

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

Jaleesa

My hair doesn’t like wash and go’s, but that’s exactly what I’ve been using for most of my braid outs! Water or leave-in conditioner, sheabutter, Eco styler gel. It’s not crunchy at all!

Owls
Owls

This is great~! I have some eco-styler gel that’s been hanging around in my bag that I haven’t used in a while! Do you think you could get the same results using Kinky Curly Coiling Custard instead of the gel? I’ve always wanted to try it out, now I’m just looking for excuses to buy it.

Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere
Reply to  Owls

OWLS, please consider your climate/weather when choosing a gel styler.

Eco styler dries hard for my 4c L‑O cottony coils. Even in humid weather. Kinky curly dries hard in low humidity (winter) weather. Kinky curly remains moist in temperate weather and is a gummy epic fail for my hair in high humidity.

Hope this helps.

NubianPrize
NubianPrize

Shampoo, Knot Today, apply KinkyCurly custard in sections, shake head vigorously & GO ! Takes about 15″ . Spritz with water to refresh, add very lite oil or Qhemet’s BRBC if needed. Lasts about a week

april

Very informative. I would love to try this out when I have time.

Bridget J.
Bridget J.

I have recently been experimenting with this method. I use Giovanni weightless leave-in, argan oil (or jojoba oil) and Eco styler gel. Really helps to keep my hair moisturized longer.

The Mane Captain

lol, the LOG method? what’s next? I don’t do wash n gos or use gels, so i guess this isn’t for me.
themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

Dananana
Dananana

Lately, I’ve been thinking about retrying a wash n go regimen, especially now that my curls are starting loosen due to length. I might have to try this once it warms up a bit. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep hair with a kinkier texture in a wash n go for a week without re-wetting? I can’t retwist every night or use banding because my strands are fine, and I’m at the awkward kind of length where pinappling doesn’t do much :

Trisha
Trisha
Reply to  Dananana

I do a variation of this method..LOGO. Liquid (water), oil, gel, oil. I’m able to get a seven day wash and go without rewetting. After I wash my hair I do not dry, but immediately apply to oil to four sections. Then I smooth in Wetline Extreme gel (protein free/amazing). Then after all the gel is applied I take a quarter amount of oil in my palms and smooth over my entire head with the praying hands method. Then I diffuse.. and voilà, wash and go goodness!

Trisha
Trisha
Reply to  Trisha

To refresh daily wear a loose shower cap in the shower so that the steam plumps up the curls. When out of the shower, shake and go.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Trisha

Thank you so much! Totally going to try this once it’s above 0°C here 🙂

Love JAH
Love JAH

Ummmm k.…I don’t see how this is new…but hey! What do I know?

Dee*
Dee*
Reply to  Love JAH

Okay, so I’m not the only one who thought this.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu

she didn’t coin LOG, its already been around for awhile as an acronym

lablooplah
lablooplah

that’s funny. I wash and go my co-washed hair with just water and coconut oil. I’m a really lazy natural as you can see. but my tiny coils get defined so.

Mayne
Mayne

How is this a wash and go if uou have to twist it up, sit under the dryer, and THEN go?

Am I missing something? Sounds like a twist out to me but what do I know.

Twinkle
Twinkle
Reply to  Mayne

Lol..that’s a damn twistout

Twinkle
Twinkle

This ish is not new. Lol I only know of my puerto rican friends doing some version of this..I would not get caught dead with gel in my hair though..lol

iluvedges
iluvedges

what is the difference between shiny and greasy?

MomofZs
MomofZs

I wash and go like this. I wash then oil rinse and condition in shower. Then when I get out I use leave in, coconut oil, then Eco-styler. My hair is soft, not crunchy, very defined and shiny. My dd skips the leave in and uses coconut oil and Eco-styler only. Ppl always ask us what we do to our hair and then look at us crazy when we say Eco-styler. My ds (2) has very fine hair so I wash like mine but put cantu leave in, then cantu pomade on top of that. That’s plenty to define his curls… Read more »

Cynthia
Cynthia

Am I the only one who can’t use EcoStyler Gel?? I’ve tried it over and over, but It doesn’t agree with my texture and makes my hair dry, flaky, and hard.

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Cynthia

There could be several reasons for this. What kind of Eco are you using? Some (green, gold, clear, brown) have stronger holds than others (pink, blue). Are you applying it on wet, damp, or dry hair? Are you using something underneath it that might be reacting with it, causing flakes? Are you applying it uniformly (no clumps)? Etc. The following is my personal experience; others’ may differ: The only gel (or gel-like product) I’ve ever used that both defines my coils and doesn’t feel crunchy is Kinky-Curly Curling Custard (KCCC) and it works that way only when I use it… Read more »

Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Thank you for posting this! I have 4c L‑O cottony coils and love my gels for WNG styling my tapered TWA, but winter dryness has made them wretched for my hair. I have always found ECO too drying, loved KCCC but it is a gummy mess during high humidity, ditto for Hollywood Beauty curl activator. I had to put MJ Jelly soft curls on hiatus during the winter because of dryness. BTW, love the MJ Jelly Soft curls. It’s fragrant, provides glossiness, has nice slip and dries faster than KCCC. I will try this method with the next WNG — like Dominique… Read more »

anjol35
anjol35

I traded my Ecostyler gel for Wetline Extreme gel and haven’t looked back. Cheap($3.99), easy to find(Walmart) and it contains no alcohol or proteins.

JojoFree
JojoFree

I have only had success with wash and go’s during my 4 year natural journey. My routine is simple. After wash and condition, apply leave in (varies depending on time of year and my mood), oil to seal, and Kinky Curly Custard. I am a avid proponent of doing chunky twists at night and sealing with either some type of butter (usually avocado) or pomade of choice (usually Oyin Burnt Sugar). In the mornings I lightly apply my homemade spritz followed by my beloved Oyin Hair Dew. Sometimes I reapply a little Kinky Curly after day 3 or 4 to… Read more »

Lynette
Lynette

Wetline Extreme Gel is awesome!!!! I got mine at Sally’s under $5.00 for sure. Anjol35 and Trisha isn’t it wonderful!!! I use water and Wetline and I’m good to go.