Top Model Bre Scullark: My Natural Hair is Not a Trend

Avatar • Jan 15, 2014

by Bre Scullark

brescullark

For many, the process of becoming natural is new and exciting. There are so many communities that are ready and willing to embrace these newbies.

brescullark2

Having been natural almost my entire life, it was just as much a part of me as the pigment of my skin. There was no separation between the texture of my hair and the skin on my bones. We just were. It wasn’t until I underwent two big chops involuntarily that I hit an emotional bottom. I can clearly remember looking at myself in the mirror and feeling so displeased with my reflection. I was no longer a beautiful conventional commercial/print model. I had absolutely no idea how to view myself. I spent three years repairing my thoughts on beauty and my spiritual connection to authentic happiness. It was in this bottom that many young men and women with relatable testimonies carried me. I received emails, text messages, and phone calls from people who had walked this journey of finding joy from deep down in an untouchable place called soul. This small community saved me from drowning in the world’s ‑and my own- ancient perception of beauty. I cannot thank them enough.

bre

Mainstream media is recognizing the vast ideals of beauty. We no longer have to suffer in front of our television as hundreds of unrelatable characters prance in front of us. Now more than ever, people with stories similar to ours are accessible. In the midst of this enormous change, it is so important to distinguish evolution from fickle trends. Trends come as quickly as they go. It would be counterproductive to have educated and dissected our transformation in front of so many just to have it floating in the wind two years from now.  In honor of all the young men and women who were isolated and made fun of back in the day because their hair swiveled and swirled from their scalp, we must enlighten others on how beautiful and self satisfying it is to enjoy one’s authentic being. The journey of becoming natural without ulterior motives is something like a spiritual awakening; it is a remarkable discovery without a destination. When the media is on to the next, I encourage you to stay strong and remember why you started in the first place.

With pure hearts and open mindedness, I am beyond grateful of the times we are living in. May we protect and nurture this evolution to the next.

Enjoy your natural journey!

Bre Scullark is an American fashion model. She placed third on America’s Next Top Model, Cycle 5. Scullark currently works as a professional model, correspondent, writer, actress and is well on her way to obtaining longevity within the media entertainment industry.  Be sure to check her out on the following sites: Twitter/@MsBreScullark Instagram/@BreScullark Facebook/Bre Scullark www.BreScullark.wordpress.com

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

gapch

love Bre but this has to be one of the most poorly written articles that I’ve ever read. i was left with .… wth?

knetts
knetts
Reply to  gapch

What’s wrong with it? Those are her thoughts and feelings and her reflection on her growth as a person, in HER words. You are entitled to your opinion but there’s no reason to be mean.

Reply to  knetts

its simply not well written or well composed. well written has nothing to do with the feelings she attempted to convey.…

knetts
knetts

I understand.

person
person
Reply to  gapch

could you elaborate on why you think this article isn’t well written or composed please.

nappy99
nappy99
Reply to  gapch

If this was a website for English composition, then, yeah, how well or poorly written the article is would matter. Considering this is a website for natural hair lovers, then the focus should be on the content of the article. I believe that most people pretty much understood what the young lady wrote. Why is it that everything has to be scrutinized to the point where the topic is changed to something totally irrelevant to the subject matter? If you don’t like how the story was written fine, you’re entitled to your opinion, but at least express it, move on,… Read more »

Reply to  nappy99

if it were a forum between exclusively between users you would be correct. its not. its a website that posts articles with a comment section for users to respond. so i expect a higher quality of writing within the articles.… ijs.… i hope that the everyone commenting holds their children to a higher standard with their writings instead of getting so defensive.… its no wonder why Black have such low quality education.…… anytime someone calls a Black person out and says there is room for improvement instead of saying “yes there is.…” everyone gets made at the person for stating… Read more »

Kellz
Kellz
Reply to  nappy99

@Gapch, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you’re going to critique an article on how well-written it is…please write well!

Reply to  knetts

Well I thought it was well written. I mean I didn’t BC, but during transition I had the same reaction to my hair. I wanted to run and get a relaxer it looked so out of whack. When I went out I could have sworn everyone was staring and whispering at me. It literally took my cousin to call me and gave me a good talking to. In the end through her trials and tribulations she found her shine again and that’s all that matters.

Reply to  Tabatha

Oh and gapch, I agree that we should hold our writing a little higher. I find it crazy that they are no longer teaching children cursive. Actually its our entire education system that has taken a tumble for the worst. It so bad when I have a child I’m considering home schooling or sending them to Europe and live with my God parents to receive better education. With that being said maybe in the future you should offer your services to people when they compose their thoughts and experiences, so that you are not exasperated over the article. People aren’t just… Read more »

cacey
cacey
Reply to  gapch

I actually beg to differ. this coming from someone with an eye for poorly written articles- this comes nowhere close.

Reply to  cacey

i would question your eyesight.

cacey
cacey
Reply to  gapch

as i’ve every right to question yours.

iluvedges
iluvedges
Reply to  gapch

umm, I had to read it again, to figure it out…umm, well yes *sigh* poorly written

Reply to  iluvedges

thank you.

people are all in their feelings as if its against Brie. I like her. Shes one of my favs from ANTM. Her, Eva and Tacara are my top 3 but the article is just poorly written. Does that make her a bad person? — No it doesn’t.… Just not the best writer.…

AnonSince87
AnonSince87
Reply to  gapch

Such a gross exaggeration though: “one of the most poorly written articles I’ve ever read”?? Really? I don’t see the difference between how she wrote this and the way many other writers on BGLH have written? You say it so blatantly as if it’s obvious to everyone. Maybe it’s the CONTENT you don’t like, as there is nothing obviously “poor” about how it’s been composed…

Reply to  AnonSince87

its not the content if it were i would say so.… whenever i disagree with a topic i simply say so.…

if someone doesn’t recognize how poorly written this article is then unfortunately he or she probably writes in the same manner.…

Kaci
Kaci
Reply to  AnonSince87

Oh my god, people grow up. So what if writing is not everyone’s strongest subject, they still have the right to speak their mind. So what if the article is not IMMACULATE to you. Black women can be so immature and nit picky, I swear.

Reply to  AnonSince87

@kaci your comment shows your immaturity and lack of ability to take criticism…

Bridget J.
Bridget J.
Reply to  AnonSince87

@gapch You have more than expressed your opinion about the writing. Please let it go so that we can focus on the content of the writing.

Kaci
Kaci
Reply to  AnonSince87

@gapch no it just shows your inability to give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. People have different strengths, weaknesses and points of views, we’re not all destined to be good at EVERYTHING. Give her a break. I enjoyed her writing and find your comments HARD to get through. She is posting on her blog not as a journalist, I think she is free to express herself which ever way she comfortable.

Bruna
Reply to  gapch

I’m late but congrats on a great game on Tuesday almsot had your 1st career triple double. I hope you guys come out with the same kind of intensity on the road and don’t let the crowd get into your heads. You stole a game on the road in Miami last year so I know you can do it again this year.Good luck tomorrow and have a safe flight up to Milwaukee. Play hard and play together. Keep doing your thing and proving the critics wrong.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  iluvedges

I must say I read a paragraph over. Then I stop reading it. I some understood what she was saying. I don’t want to look re-read the article. Seem she loved her natural self until her BC. Anyway, I understand both sides Brie and in regard to the bad writing.
I did not finish the article. Before reading the comments I thought I just got bored with it. Hmm.

Deedeemaha
Deedeemaha
Reply to  Deedeemaha

Sry Bre for spelling your name wrong. : )

Reply to  Deedeemaha

Well I’m sure she won’t go in on you for it. =)

teetee
teetee
Reply to  gapch

It tells nothing she has been natural her whole life but had two big chops why not elaborate? She was introduced to then natural hair community how? Youtube blogs what? I like her though it was just missing important details

Kita
Reply to  teetee

when she first came on the show she (like yaya decosta) had all of her real hair, natural. one of things i liked the most was that it was in its natural state. for modeling purposes they cut it to give her a less “girl next door” look bc she just looked like a pretty girl and not a versatile model

Jax
Jax
Reply to  gapch

Gapch, if this is not a case of the pot calling the kettle black, I don’t know what is. All of your comments here are infested with grammatical errors. You clearly don’t know that ellipses contain three, not four, series of dots. You incorrectly used ‘its’ several times. You couldn’t find a comma if it were hurling towards you, nor do you consistently punctuate the ends of your sentences or bother to properly end one thought before moving to another. Normally I wouldn’t call out grammar in this type of forum, as it’s annoying and unnecessary, but pick up a… Read more »

The obvious camper
The obvious camper
Reply to  Jax

Finally someone said it! I thought I was going to lose my mind. Well put, brava!

Reply to  Jax

as stated before i expect better writing quality within the articles not the informal comments section.… if this were strictly a user forum i would not have commented but is a professional site with “articles” followed by an informal reader comment section

cacey
cacey
Reply to  gapch

clearly you’ve never read an article by CNN or the Huff post or any of those supposedly top dawgs in the writing world. I’ve caught plenty of errors in their writing. BGLH gets a pass from me because i can’t critique them in good conscience (unless they just post some utter crap we can ALL agree is complete hogwash) if sites that exist specifically for writing, or to promote the art/skill of honest-to-goodness journalism, let slip errors of grammatical and orthographic detail. Just sayin’, save it for somewhere else cuz the rest of us just ain’t checkin fuh all dat.

Anna
Anna
Reply to  Jax

Ordinarily I would agree with you. However, in this case I cannot. Gapch didn’t write an article, just comments. Articles should be held to a much higher standard than comments. Blog posts that are found on sites like this one, instead of personal blogs, should be held to the same high standards as magazines and newspapers. This article reads like stream of consciousness writing instead of a well thought-out piece. I appreciate what Bre is saying but I do think that it would be more effective with more thought and organization. Gapch’s original comment could have been said better and… Read more »

Perception.
Perception.
Reply to  gapch

Would you have pointed this out if she was not referred to as a professional writer? I guess the issue some people may be having is that you publicly criticized her work and whether or not it was constructive criticism, some may see this as insulting and humiliating.

Chelsea
Chelsea
Reply to  gapch

Actually gapch, growing up in with an Asian mother and a black father I noticed blacks were overly concerned with superficial and trivial things such as appearance and your problem with this article. It’s not attractive. You’re being an overbearing pain in the ass and not helping anything at all. Let people be themselves sometimes, it is not that serious.

Me
Me

Wasn’t she featured on a box of Dark and Lovely relaxer?

Kade
Kade
Reply to  Me

LOOOOOL!!!!

Reply to  Me

I think he was, but either way it was her job and I guess she didn’t see a reason to say no to it. But in the end it got chopped and now its natural.

Reply to  Tabatha

*She, not he good grief. My keyboard is old.

Lanetta
Lanetta

Powerful article…it challenges us to sustain as individualists who are confident in who we are and in the hair and skin God gave us. There might come a time when being “natural” isn’t so mainstream and popular. I enjoyed Bre on ANTM and am delighted to see her mature into a posed and intelligent young lady.

iluvedges
iluvedges
Reply to  Lanetta

powerful article? no, no, no

AlllSmiless
AlllSmiless
Reply to  iluvedges

Lol! Your name made me laugh 😀

gapch

she’s a gorgeous girl. i believe she was feautured in some garnier fructise ads… idk about dark and lovely

Reply to  gapch

She did their hair color I think.

Joy
Joy

The parts of the article where she talks about her own beauty and self-image are ok, but the beginning of the article was off-putting. It’s annoying when people try to humble-brag that they were natural before it became “a thing.” Why bother distinguishing herself from those of us who are recent naturals? Honestly, it doesn’t matter how or when we got here…let’s just celebrate that we are together now on the natural journey!

Elle
Elle
Reply to  Joy

preach…

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Joy

Right? Not all of us were blessed with caregivers that understood how damaging and unnecessary chemical hair treatments are, and we had to wait until we were on our own before we could embrace our natural beauty. I’m still trying to deprogram my mom from that “straight hair is neater/better” way of thinking.…and she’s (finally) transitioning after watching my journey for the past 4 years.

Zaza
Zaza
Reply to  Joy

I couldn’t agree more Joy. As someone who has been natural all my life and not fully seen the growth potential because of poor practices and down right hair-icide — not moisturising, using products with moisture-blocking ingredients, flat iron abuse (using it while my hair was soaking wet to get it bone dry every WEEK) etc. I wholeheartedly owe the newfound HEALTH, shine, manageability on wash days as I now section off, DC every wash with coconut oil etc, ways to stretch hair without heat, new and innovative hairstyles and most importantly (for me) my drastic length retention to those girls… Read more »

cacey
cacey
Reply to  Zaza

i was a lil different. I was natural growing up til i made the decision myself at 12, against my dear mother’s wishes, to relax my hair. funny thing was that she herself was relaxed until chemo took her hair, and her strength, away. But in any case, my parents knew how to care for my hair, but in a way, i was still in the dark. My parents were of the old school way of thinking, that “Braids make your hair grow”, so owing to staying confined to braids and cornrows for all of my childhood, i made it… Read more »

DYNAMICALLYDELLA
DYNAMICALLYDELLA
Reply to  Joy

So now stating your truth and it makes others feel uncomfortable or insecure it’s humble bragging…good to know
Smh. We wonder why young sisters go about chanting “I don’t mess with females.” Grown woman lessin for the day: Sometimes…it really isn’t about you or “a shot at” you.

DYNAMICALLYDELLA
DYNAMICALLYDELLA

*lesson

Dananana
Dananana

It may be her truth, but she could have stated it in a way that is less condescending: “Before it was trendy, before it became this “new phenomenon”, my natural hair was and still is, who I am. My natural hair is so much more than a break from chemically processed and damaged hair. It is so much more than a liberation from the monotony of long body wave weaves and sleek flat ironed hair. My natural hair signifies my life’s journey and my redefinition of spiritual beauty.” While I get the sentiment she’s trying to give, the wording of… Read more »

hello
hello
Reply to  Dananana

and the use of the word newbie is condescending. that’s the give away.

Jase
Reply to  Dananana

I hate my life but at least this makes it bearebla.

Tabatha

We are in an age where people are offended over everything, so yes apparently so.

nappy headed black girl

I didn’t watch ANTM…was she natural on the show? Does she model her natural hair? I couldn’t follow the timeline of the post.

And I’m confused about the two big chops. She said she felt bad afterward. Was she chopping off heat damage? Did the industry/gigs force her?

Anyway, her testimony was beautiful. It’s nice to see someone in Hollywood speak about rocking their natural texture.

Tabatha

When she first got there she had this beautiful head of poofy goodness. Then Tyra always does make overs and a lot of the time the girls get the opposite of what they originally came in with. Very few models got small makeovers. Any who I believe they gave her a weave. I’m sure she did go through the BC twice due to damage. My Cousin is IN THE BELLY OF FASHION and she was telling me about how models have to basically let whomever is hiring them do to their hair what they want. Most designers will do wigs… Read more »

Poshnera
Poshnera

I thought this was a well written article. It is CLEARLY about HER journey, and how she grew from the experience. She emphasized growing up natural to further emphasize it not being a fad for her. It was and is a part of her being. I feel like if people are going to dissect the article at least try to understand what the author is saying instead of looking for a reason to attack. She wasn’t attacking anyone because natural hair is now popular. She’s telling her experience and encouraging others to see the evolution of natural hair beyond this… Read more »

Keylon
Reply to  Poshnera

I’m grutfeal you made the post. It’s cleared the air for me.

DiJah
DiJah

To start off by saying natural hair is not a trend, and then move on to mentioning your journey to loving your natural hair after having not one, but two involuntary big chops as you put it, hmm…i dunno. Bre, not knocking you at all sis, and I too hate to see people jumping on the natural hair bandwagon as if it is a trend. Meanwhile, the same could be said about any of us. Initially, it might seem as if someone’s following a trend, but let’s play catch up with a few of them in a couple of years,… Read more »

Stace
Stace

Yes she was natural on the show. She was on a second all stars version of ANTM also, and I believe her hair was cut prior to or as part of the show (can’t remember). She was part of an agency at the time, so I would figure it was due to the modeling industry that her hair was cut.

Stace
Stace
Reply to  Stace

^^This was in reply to Nappy Headed black girls comment…I thought I hit the reply button but someone it ended up down here..

Pat
Pat

I agree that my natural hair isn’t a trend and I don’t desire to straighten my hair either. I just look better with it in it’s natural state. It’s a way of life for me.

Hilary
Hilary

Thank you Bre. Beautiful. The article is honest. To my fellow readers, its expected to want more of our contributors on a sight like bglh and there are ways of expressing that without being diminishing and using exaggerated language which when used as an insult is only an insult to one’s own character. Furthermore, the opening line “Before it was trendy, before it became this “new phenomenon”, my natural hair was and still is, who I am…” I believe echoes voices which have appropriated this era of “mass return” for black women and tried to redefine it as something that… Read more »

Hilary
Hilary
Reply to  Hilary

*site

Kwmechelle
Kwmechelle

I’m sorry but I thought this article was very well written. Was it written perfectly & without errors? No. But was it written nicely, with the author’s views & points coming across concisely & accurately? Yes! I enjoyed reading about her journey, the missteps she made, the self-doubt, & maybe even fear that she felt when she had to redefine her definition of beauty. I was encouraged by the community of people who became her support group of sorts, encouraging her to keep going. Yes, she shared that she was natural long before now & how, for her, being natural… Read more »

yipeee
yipeee

AGAIN one sideways comment throws off the whole message behind the article. if you dont like how the article was written from jump , chances are you put a mental block up against it. with that said she is sayin that natural hair should not be a trend but an EVOLUTION she is not dwelling on the fact that she had 2 big chops , and so did not go into detail. additionally for all of u criticizing her writing style ( poetic license girlies!!!) because url app know all the rules of grammar, url shud kno that the last… Read more »

marineblue
marineblue

I don’t see why this article is considered to be ‘poorly written’. She’s talking about her experience in an intelligent manner, we’re not in a psychological magazine so I don’t expect in-depth analysis. I wonder if relentlessness of the critics doesn’t only suggest that someone just wants to be right and see the article as poor no matter what.

Jojo Satoes
Jojo Satoes

This is a blog post from her personal blog, not really “an article”. Secondly, I totally get what she’s trying to say in the first couple of paragraphs. She has always been comfortable with her natural hair. Its who she is. Its like her smile or her skin, its something she inherently loved. It wasn’t until her big chop that she began to doubt her looks and felt insecure. Then she goes on to say indirectly, that the new community of naturals supported and helped to rebuild her sense of self. People are taking her first few paragraphs out of… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Jojo Satoes

THANK YOU for this…I read it the exact same way.

Perhaps if it were written by a “regular person” the comments would be different? Heaven knows there have been far more convoluted and poorly-written articles on this site than this one.

Perhaps if it were the type of article that’s more common on this site, one in which Bre shared her journey, her tips, etc. in a Q&A format, the comments would be different?

Just speculating…

ocru
ocru
Reply to  LBell

Well said. I thought something was wrong with me and I consider my self educated. Any who.…I been natural(currently rocking locs) since 2002 and where I live it was not popular ad well. So I totally get Bre’s point on not letting natural hair be a trend for the newbies. Luv her journey!

Kwmechelle
Kwmechelle
Reply to  Jojo Satoes

Heaven, THANK YOU FOR THIS! When I read that some commenters thought this article was poorly written, my first reaction was, “THIS is what they deem poorly written? On THIS site?!” Really, many articles on this site can hardly get an “A” for proper grammar/punctuation. In fact, many articles on this site could use a good lesson in English 101. But be that as it may, I’d hardly say that her writing style detracts from her message. Some seem to take issue with her writing style, others the content, & others just seem to be speaking from a place of… Read more »

Michelle
Michelle

I know I will get a thumbs down, but Bree has curly hair. I wonder if she had hair with more type 4 strands than type 3 would she have chosen never to relax. I get that her natural hair is not a fad thing..and am glad she feels that way. I think that we need to be honest when saying that when people see a head of curls vs tighter coils that the reaction in the past has been very different. I am very glad that she is natural & there are so many naturals..so that people with hair… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Michelle

I gave you a thumbs up because I thought something similar. Whenever I see/hear someone say “I’ve always been natural,” I’ve noticed that it’s most often coming from folks with looser patterns. Not to say that those with looser curl patterns don’t suffer any pressure to straighten or don’t have a journey to share, but I think it’s fair to say that there are a lot of Black women from the US with kinky hair who never even knew being natural was an option before the movement began.…looser curls are much more accepted here.

HortonHearsA...
HortonHearsA...
Reply to  Dananana

The UK is the same and I would hazard a guess that this is Drew of the whole diaspora.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Bre is an ethereally stunning beauty. Her face and hair are flawless and I personally love the symbolic way she expressed the way she embraces her natural hair. Thanks @Jax for taking the obviously “negative nancy” @gapch to school! LOL She should at least capitalize “I” when she writes! Kettle mean pot…SMH!

bsbfankaren
bsbfankaren

Sigh…maybe it’s just me, but it annoys me that women who have been natural for a specific amount of time have to throw shade by saying their hair is not “a trend” as if the rest of us who have gone natural after them are subject to trends and not simply making a decision for ourselves! Come on, folks. Lighten up! Be happy for yourself and your personal journey, without feeling the need to denegrate anyone else!

Tabatha

I remember looking at her hair on that show and I was like in Awe of it. Especially when they did passports she had her hair in a ponytail and it was all curly and puffy in back and I literally thought, why would Tyra want to change that?! But she didn’t change it all that much in the show. Even with the BC she is stunning.

Sticky
Reply to  Tabatha

Yeah that’s what I’m talking about bai-c-nbye work!

CBCC
CBCC

I sort of understand where Bre is coming from, but I don’t understand this statement “My natural hair signifies my life’s journey and my redefinition of spiritual beauty.” My perspective is that when you were given the gift of life, that is when you claim “I am”, and everything that came with your physical package (body) is as it is. I have also been natural most of my life, except for 1 year when I thought a relaxer would make my hair easier to manage. Talk about being wrong. That is what I call the “year of pain”, because I… Read more »

Mel Stevens
Mel Stevens

Your natural hair is gorgeous girl, Keep it moisturize with the pro naturals argan oil leave-in treatment!

Leah
Leah

wow she said exactly what I said about natural hair being a trend, natural hair to me is not a trend it’s who I am, it’s who we are. It’s a part of us like how Straight hair is a part of white people. Trends come and go this won’t come and go this is who we are this this shouldn’t be a Trend to us. I have no problem with people straightening their hair or putting weaves in but to me those are trends not wearing your natural god given hair.

alasia min
alasia min
Reply to  Leah

not all white people have straight hair though.

Lana

truly agree. I have been natural my entire life. its not a trend. only within last year stopped straightening. i would wear hair curly during monsoon season. for me this is my life. my curly locks will remain long after the trend is over. so will my organic and green friendly life style.

jane seymour jewelry

I found this website while I was looking for cartilage jewelry and
I admit that I was very fortunate for doing so. I think that
this is a very gorgeous post you have there!
Would you mind if I share your blog on my facebook along with the link
and the header of the page:“Top Model Bre Scullark: My Natural Hair is Not a Trend “?

Best Wishes,
The Cartilage Jewelry Crew

Also visit my blog … jane seymour jewelry

hair dryer reviews

nothing keeps hair naturally healthy than natural oils and products: henna, argan oil, olive oil, coconut oil, and so on

Jasmine
Jasmine

I just love Bree. She is enchanting. I was loving her hair before I even realized there was a natural movement going on! Now I’m transitioning, 15 months post.