Saturday Night Live Adds First Black Female Cast Member in 5 Years

Avatar • Jan 6, 2014

SASHEER ZAMATA

Saturday Night Live has announced their newest cast member and it’s the talented Sasheer Zamata.

Zamata is the first black female cast member since Maya Rudolph’s departure in 2007. She also is the 5th black female castmember in the history of Saturday Night Live which debuted in 1975.

See some clips from Sasheer’s performances below.

Sasheer will make her first appearance on SNL on the January 18 episode in which Drake is both host and musical guest.

Will you be watching?

About Rinny

Texan by birth, Los Angeleno by situation. Lover of Tame Impala and Shoegaze music. Comedian by trade. Macaroni and Cheese connoisseur by appetite.

greengirl
greengirl

Shoulda been ME!!!

Bianca

I’m so happy for her! I hope her characters are diverse and not all stereotyped as SNL easily falls into! It’s kind of annoying that we finally get a new black female cast member after Kenan and Jay protesting that they will no longer dress in drag, I suppose to SNL producers a black man in drag was just as good for 5 years :/

Deb
Deb
Reply to  Bianca

“I’m so happy for her! I hope her characters are diverse and not all stereotyped as SNL easily falls into! ” LOL this is pretty much why i’m meh about it because I KNOW this is what will happen. This is american TV and on top of that SNL we are talking about here. I even see a few outright racist and very offensive skits that will stir up controversy and anger in the future. I also read they hired 2 black female writers and just pray they don’t get pressured to do the same. I feel like this is… Read more »

MJay
MJay
Reply to  Deb

They also just hired 2 African American female writers! So I don’t think there will be much “shucking and jiving” on the show with her. Thank God!

Deb
Deb
Reply to  MJay

How I hope so…but only God knows the pressure they will get and how easily their opinions will be overruled in concern to skits they write. Also, just because they are black women doesn’t mean they won’t resort to damaging sterotypes. I’m just hoping and praying but I’m just not holding my breath.

David
Reply to  Deb

with the regular pruseerss of a live performance, Rihanna had some redeeming to do. She served up a sexy performance of her latest single, What’s My Name, on SNL, but her debut performance of the

Midwestnija
Midwestnija

I think it’s sad that she had to be picked as the ‘black female’ cast member and not just as a really funny comic, but I’m glad she got the opportunity. *sigh* Affirmative action is still needed in America in 2014.

Valerie
Valerie
Reply to  Midwestnija

good point

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Midwestnija

yes, its sad that it had to be such a big deal. SNL was shamefully lacking in black females.

Nawaz
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

Wait, Val Kilmer’s career was still alive beorfe this?All of the other numbers are about what I expected. Oh, except for the number of dimes no punitive damages?.-= Renb4s last blog .. =-. Reply:May 21st, 2010 at 3:52 pm, Good point. There ought to be punitive damages.

Reply to  Midwestnija

Agree. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to support her in this venture. I will not give my time or viewership to a program that has boldly and happily put black men in dresses rather than be inclusive of black women.
Further, their track record of promoting racial stereotypes and buffoonery is just too strong for me too tune in.
Sorry, Sasheer.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  239

to be fair, they have also put white men in dresses to play white women. They just didn’t have enough women. It wasn’t to disparage black women.

Deb
Deb
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

that’s the point, why didn’t they just HIRE a black woman? They could utilize for her skits with black women and also have a cast member to utilize for other skits. That never crossed their minds until there was an outcry (aka whining for inclusion) and we got thrown a dang bone. It’s 2014 and this is still the only way we can get inclusion in numerous spaces.

juanita617
juanita617

Hilarious ! She’s super funny! I love her type of humor. I will definitely be keeping up with her.

C in Colorado
C in Colorado

I’ll be watching! She’s funny. And I love her gorgeous hair.

Kay
Kay

I respect a show that can admit that their cast is not diverse enough, and then take measures to fix the problem. Big ups to SNL.

mackenzie
mackenzie

OMG!!! After 38 years, a black female is added. I thought this was post racial america?!?!

Nappy4C Rocks
Nappy4C Rocks
Reply to  mackenzie

funny, post-racial America does not and will not exist

Michele
Michele

Very happy for her. She has a show on Youtube called the Pursuit of Sexiness, I love it.

Darlyn D
Darlyn D

Congrats to her! 🙂

Imani
Imani

I had really hoped that she would be one that didn’t play into “black girl” stereotypes and what’s really interesting is that you can tell that she is not like any kind of black girl stereotype in real life, but in her stand-up, she’s making fun of commercials that DO use those stereotypes. But do people not realize that she’s in front of an audience (that’s probably mostly white) and still using those stereotypes to make people laugh? Unfortunately I know it probably has to be like this for many black female comedians. *Sigh* we’ll see what happens though. Maybe… Read more »

Guest
Guest

She is NOT the first black woman on SNL. From the top of my head, I can remember Ellen Cleghorne, who was very funny.

Imani
Imani
Reply to  Guest

Who said that? It says first black woman IN 5 YEARS.

Ugonna Wosu
Ugonna Wosu
Reply to  Imani

more like in 6 years and a few months.

Imani
Imani
Reply to  Ugonna Wosu

Either way, no one ever claimed her to be the first so I don’t know where that’s coming from. But the article DOES say 5 years, whether it’s right or not. You gotta READ sometimes. Lol

C in Colorado
C in Colorado

II remember Danitra Vance too. She passed away in ’94. 🙁

Andrea
Andrea

Congratulations to Zamata as i believe her hiring speaks to the quality of her work but I pray the world will get to a point where people are recognised for their worth rather than the colour of their skin! For example, the headline should read “SNL hires a great writer to its staff” rather than “SNL hires a black writer”…

Jihanpiskac
Jihanpiskac

I have been waiting on a black female cast member on SNL for years. So I was so excited when one was cast. I saw her do stand up on YouTube and I really tried to find humor in it , just wasn’t working for me. Her jokes were kind of dated her jokes were just about making a mockery of black women. I have seen so many funny up and coming black female comedians the ones that make you laugh till it hurts. Why could SNL not find one . I hope this young lady does good but she… Read more »

len