How To Revive An Old Twist-Out

Avatar • Jan 22, 2014

by pRoy of Steel Feather Lace Elephant

Y’all are not going to BELIEVE how I achieved this hairstyle… or maybe you might.  I don’t know how believable it is, but I have video footage to prove it so apparently it works.
Let’s talk about how I said I was going to go the whole week without doing anything to my hair.  My husband laughed and I did too; especially seeing how ridiculous it looked when I laid down without tying it up.
That was day one. (Lighting + IG Filters can have you looking ghost… but I digress.)
By day three, it is still kickin’… might be on its last leg, but it’s kickin’ nonetheless and I’m FEELIN’ IT!  Beyonce got me feeling like a boss so when I wake up and look damn good I just hit ’em with the line of “P Woke Up Like This”.  Boom.  Instant justification.
Alright, enough of me babbling!  I guess I’ll let the the secret out, eh?
Check out how I achieved this style simply by waking up:
Well, it’s ALMOST as simple as just waking up.  I didn’t add any product.  I didn’t even put water in my hair.  I only used one tool:

This hair is a three day old twist out that I will be recording very soon.  New technique, but kinda sorta not really… however you will be able to check it out VERY soon, stay tuned!

Ladies, have you tried this method? What were your results? How do you revive an old twistout?

pRoy is the author of “Through It All: 40 Days of Positive Affirmations and Devotionals” and the blog, steelfeatherlaceelephant.com. You can find her on Twitter (twtitter.com/askpRoy ), Instagram(instagram.com/askpRoy) and YouTube (youtube.com/askpRoy).

About Editorial

BGLH now sells raw and whipped shea butter, cocoa butter and mango butter. Purchase here: bglh-marketplace.com

JENNID
JENNID

Yes I used to do this. Used too. Left me with tiny broken pieces of hair all over my bathroom sink:(. My poor strands cant take that much manipulation. When I need to revive a twist out I simply take a few drops of light oil, rub it between my palms and finger tips, then simply gently massage my scalp to get it to looking flitted out again. I try to touch it very little. The tutorial is good and your hair does look good. If you can survive all that picking and pulling with little broken hairs everywhere go… Read more »

pRoy
Reply to  JENNID

Hey JenniD! Thanks for watching the tutorial. I just wanted to follow-up and let you know that I did not suffer any breakage (little pieces around the sink) from me picking my hair at its roots. I am very careful with my hair and is very well moisturized (hence no product addition). I also do not do this method every day as I do not manipulate my hair daily. And I definitely agree with you — light oil and fingertips work miracles on old twist outs! Just wanted to share how I achieved this particular hairstyle with my fellow curls who… Read more »

JENNID
JENNID
Reply to  pRoy

Its all good pRoy . No shade intended. I actually think your hair looked pretty good to be slept on and three days old lol. If you remember how long did that particular twist out last you? Also just peeped your youtube page tutorial for the faux tapered fro. Nice! 🙂

Jasmine
Jasmine

Wasn’t feeling this at all…

Tracy
Tracy

Well I liked it and I sometimes forget that I can save a hair do without re-twisting at night… I get into the habit of braiding my hair at night which is easier for me now that now that my hair is longer 6 plaits and I’m done.

But, I won’t freak out the next time I’m to tired to redo at night =) Thanks for sharing!

Flynfab
Flynfab

No thanks. My hair would be in knots if I picked it out like that. To revive my twist out I either pineapple at night and let it fluff back out from the shower steam the next morning or I re-twist in 6 large sections before bed.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Flynfab

Yes! The steam in the shower works wonders and adds great moisture.

leneybean
leneybean

Oh. I mean it makes sense I didn’t know this was a technique I already do this when I have an old twist out. I thought it was gonna be some new idea I hadn’t thought of yet to keep it more defined. But that’s cool though! Maybe I’ve just hit a point of where the new techniques aren’t new for me anymore. I know this video can & will help out a lot of other naturalistas though. Loving the lipstick!!

Bridget J.
Bridget J.

Great way to revive your twist out. Thanks for sharing!

Miss Elisa K.

I 99% of the time let my styles last for a week. So however it tends to fro, I just work it out. But I don’t mind shrinkage and I don’t care if my hair looks freshly done or perfect. Great post!

madametj
madametj

Soo…this is supposed to be considered a “technique”?

imani
imani

I doubt the root picking would work for me bc my hairs is too dense &my roots coil 2 much so I feel id likely just be matting my roots with half picked out hair. I will say that I agree with the others abt pineappling my head each night and then using my garment steamer for abt 10m to revive my curls. Id say I add product every other day 2 refresh. Sleeping without my head wrapped??results in random frizzed flat curls that even steam can’t revive so I keep to this method pretty religiously. As a side note:if… Read more »

Bre
Bre

Hm i might try this method! I do a weekly twist out and large twists w/ a spritz of water always works the best for me

Jessica
Jessica

I agree with the young lady. Every head is different. Every method that works for one head doesn’t necessarily work for the other. It also depends on the size of coils of one’s natural hair, as every woman’s hair type and texture is different. She may have thin/fine hair or thick/course hair and her coils can rage from loosely coiled, medium coiled or tightly coiled. If it is tightly coiled and course, it may be extremely difficult to revive her twist out using a pick; whereas someone with loosely or medium coiled hair, they would have little to no problems… Read more »

evangeline
evangeline

Its how I always do my hair. As the days go on I get more and more up do’s.