5 Steps to a Perfectly Smooth Roller Set on 4C Hair

Avatar • Jan 23, 2014

rollerset4chair

Still from Jouelzy’s 4c roller set tutorial

Ever since a few readers expressed skepticism on whether 4c hair could be smoothly curled and wrapped to a straight/relatively straight style in this article by Chinwe, I have been hunting down the perfect video to showcase that it is indeed possible to smooth 4c hair out with a roller set. My hunt was finally ended today when the perfect video was uploaded by Jouelzy this week!

This level of smoothness was achieved by a stylist but you can replicate the technique at home.

Here are my tips:

1. Patience and Skill

You need a lot of patience and practice to get a perfect roller set. If you have not done a roller set before, I recommend practicing on a small patch of your hair with 4–5 rollers. Once you’ve perfected setting smaller sections,  you are ready to attempt a full head roller set.  It will take hours to put rollers in the first time and slowly with practice, you can whittle down the time.

2. Moisture and Flexibility

The way to a smooth set is to make sure the hair is flexible and soft. In the video, the stylist applied a small amount of hair conditioner which was not rinsed out to get the hair to soften up. Additionally a steamer was used and steamed hair can stretch more compared to wet hair. Roller setting was then done on damp and not soaking wet hair with a setting lotion to help with holding the created curl. Remember that wet hair is one of the weakest states. Therefore, allowing it to partially dry to a damp stage gives you flexibility and some additional strength to prevent breakage. You really do not have to replicate the method used by heart, you can choose to deep condition your hair with heat if that softens your hair or oil rinse or condition for longer etc. It’s best to utilize whatever means that you have found that makes your hair soft and pliable but does not let it snap when wet.

3. Detangling and small sections

The best roller sets rely on many rollers of an appropriate size applied to small sections of hair.  In this video, the dreaded fine tooth comb was used in the final stage of the roller set. It is really important to pick tools that suit your hair texture. If your hair does not lend itself to fine tooth combs, all you have to do is make sure that your hair is really well detangled and the vast majority of strands are not intertwined.

4. Tension and Drying Time

A good roller set relies on tension to smooth out the curl. If your hair looks smooth and taut over the roller, it will set smooth. If your hair is slack over the roller and has curls and kinks, it will set in this way and you end up with a stretched but not smooth style. Small sections and selecting the correct roller type/size will help you with winding hair with the correct tension. Finally hair must be completely dry before taking out the rollers or once more, you will ruin the set.

5. Products

There are some products you should avoid because they will destroy your roller set. Humectants in leave in products can help your hair revert fast! In rinse out products, they are not that much of an issue. You should also avoid using gels and opt for a setting lotion or mousse  if you would like to give your hair extra hold. Gels are perfectly fine for perimeter styling but not for the main hairstyle.

A final note would be to say, that this IS just a style, it is very time intensive and is absolutely going to be affected by humidity or rain.  You do not have to style your hair in a rollerset if you do not desire to, I did, however, want to say that if you want to do it on 4c hair, you can indeed do it successfully.

About The Natural Haven

Scientist on a hairy mission!

Mells39
Mells39

I have 4C hair I figured out how to have bouncy curls. I learned to never style my hair after it is sopping in water or just washed. I wait until my hair is completely dry and style my hair in an afro puff or bun until I am ready to style (a day or two later). I mist my hair with plain water with a spray bottle and rub my hair in a downward motion to stretch my hair. Apply cantu leave in and focus more on the ends. You want the ends to be smooth, not poofy and… Read more »

Mells39
Mells39
Reply to  Mells39

One more thing Ladies, you can also two strand twist your hair tightly then curl.

Jamzie
Jamzie
Reply to  Mells39

I think I’m gonna try the 2 strand twist then set on perm rods this weekend. To set my loose hair I’ll definitely have a stylist help with that. I love how her hair came out, n my hair is tapered just like that n the same length too!

NaturallyNeesh

I loved this vid, I subscribe to her.…but yea I get a smooth set (not THIS smooth though lol) when I use perm rods, it does take patience just like anything else good lol

Amma Mama

I love Jouelzy’s channel.She has great tutorials and product reviews. Her stylist did a great job here.

CB
CB

The lady that did her hair has a YouTube channel. She has the best roller sets, perm rods, finger coils on YouTube.

I think her channel should have been added in this article.

Jc
Jc
Reply to  CB

Drop a link CB!

zyaran
zyaran
Reply to  CB

I do believe this is the link for the stylist and she has other videos of other styles that was created as well.

Video ~ http://www.youtube.com/user/naturalhairnskincare/videos

tina
tina

I’m so tired of these articles

Jesse
Jesse
Reply to  tina

The Natural Haven tends to produce poor articles.

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Jesse

You would say that, Jesse. Still smarting from the information burn the last time you tried to dog out Jc?

I happen to think that The Natural Haven produces informative, useful articles. If you can do better, I’d like to see it.

Zaza
Zaza
Reply to  Jesse

Yet here you are still reading them with nothing positive to say once again. Great article Natural Haven 😉

Mimi
Mimi
Reply to  Jesse

i bet this is the same person(tina and jesse) replying to themselves so it looks like two people are agreeing with each other on this negativity, ever since i read on clutchmagazine that people reply to their own comments, or argue with themselves in the comment section (the admins can see you email so they know), ive been looking at comments with a side eye ever since!

Jc
Jc
Reply to  Mimi

Thanks ladies, don’t feed the troll 🙂

iluvedges
iluvedges
Reply to  Jesse

@Jesse, go in the corner for 5 minutes please…thank you

Miss Elisa K.

I loved her hair!!!! It was really nice. Makes me want to re-visit some rods this weekend!

LBell
LBell

This reinforces the point I made in a comment on Chinwe’s article (the other article Jc references early in this article): Keeping an open mind can be a good thing. 🙂 I can tell you for days that I’ve long been able to get smooth, nearly-straight hair using rollers and a good setting lotion, but hopefully Jouelzy’s video will say a thousand (or more!) words. The interesting thing about this video is that she took the opposite route of the one I took in that the stylist used lots of little rollers rather than fewer, much-larger rollers. However, the things Jc listed… Read more »

HortonHearsA...
HortonHearsA...
Reply to  LBell

Which setting lotion do you prefer?

This stylist uses a specific turning motion when roller setting, it’s one I never thought of. I would like to try this but I need a good setting lotion first. I’m not in the US so can’t buy hers. Her other videos are interesting too although I’m scared of the fine tooth comb. I’m not sure I have the skill to use it.

LBell
LBell

I haven’t done a rollerset in years but when I did I got surprisingly good results with good old-fashioned Lottabody (diluted at least 2 to 1 with water). It’s by Revlon, if that helps…I thought Revlon was pretty much international.

Unfortunately (again, speaking from my experience; others’ may differ) with coily ends that coil up on themselves you need to use a fine-toothed comb or something similar to get them to lay flat on the roller. Proper lubrication is key so that you don’t get (too much) breakage.

Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

I purchased a 4oz sample size of Natural Oasis products this fall. The regimen consists of an ACV cleanse/rinse, followed by oil product DT. The hair is detangled and set with an herbal tea product. The take down is done with another oil product. The final style is glossed with an oil product. The Natural Oasis products smelled lovely and were very elegant, but my roller set lasted less than three days. I truly enjoy the Natural oasis videos, and the rational behind the regimen is sound. The “turning” motion used during rolling produced coiled ringlets in my hair. If… Read more »

K
K

Hmm looks smooth but not that silky smooth darn.

Iva
Iva

Love both these ladies and am subscribed to both!

Are there any options out there for high density hair? I have so much hair that I don’t think all the rollers needed could fit!

Thanks for the great post, JC!

Tasila Mkwayaya
Tasila Mkwayaya
Reply to  Iva

Just make smaller sections.

Faith
Faith

Has anyone tried this with longer hair? My hair is apl and I’d like to try something new but this looks like a lot of work to end up with an abject failure of a style.

Knotty Natural
Reply to  Faith

You can achieve this on APL hair…if you have lots of hair like i do, take your time and be sure to use lots of roller and small sections.

Jackie
Jackie

Love this forum. I’m a little older than most (60+) But I remember doing this set in my late 20s and early 30’s. One tip to mention — try using end papers when using the perm rods. It will help to ensure that your ends are smooth when you take the rods out and style your hair.

OHR
OHR
Reply to  Jackie

I meant thumbs up!!!

lex
lex

I really do hope more type 4 youtubers and bloggers come out especially in the style category, so we can dispel notions like this. I have type 4 hair and although keeping moisture in my strands is like trying to close an overstuffed suitcase, I’ve always been able to do roller sets (just stay away from the velcro ones). I’ll def be applying the tips and testing products from above to get a more effective curl. Although type 4 hair is characteristically dry, I love how my hair is resilient and pliable. Some girls can’t hold a curl. Yet my… Read more »

LBell
LBell
Reply to  lex

Lex, your hair texture sounds similar to mine (wet coils/curls that disappear as the hair dries). If you haven’t already, I strongly suggest you check out cynthiarf’s YouTube videos. Her techniques helped me learn how to better define my small, tight coil pattern on longer lengths.

Dewey

My brother recommended I might lile this website. He
was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
Thanks!

Here iis my weblog … livejasmin creditss hack free (Dewey)

Dorcas King
Dorcas King

what rollers did you use? and what size?

Shakis
Shakis

My curls come out fine but my roots are poofy after I take out my rollers. So I end up with a nice curl but it’s overshadowed by poofy roots. Idk if it’s because my roots are a different texture/type than my ends.

Pat68
Pat68

Is there a reason she used perm rods and flexirods?