Jill // Multi-Texture Style Icon

Avatar • Dec 15, 2013

DSC_0200

Introduce yourself!
J:
My name is Jill Louise B and I’m from the Bay Area (California).

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
J:
I’ve been natural since December of 2009. I can’t even own the decision process. I didn’t “go” natural. It was the holiday season and I was in law school—which I hated—and I needed to eliminate a stressor. I shaved my head, took a deep breath, and got ready for finals and Kwanzaa like the avoider-of-all-things stressful that I am. Time went on, I dropped out of law school, I started drinking a lot of tea and doing a lot of yoga and the hair seemed to go along with the new lifestyle, so I kept it growing.

How would you describe your texture?
J:
When I looked at those letters and numbers I immediately felt the heart palpitations kick in. I had no idea what those meant. Not only that, my hair has the most extreme textural differences I have ever seen on a human being. It looks as though it made its own commitment to diversity and like, it means it. So I probably have a little 6Y, a little 9QHT, and some N101. But if I have to settle on one, I’ll go with 3C…reluctantly. My hair behaves itself for the most part. It’s thick and dense and sort of curly and can really take a lot of neglect and abuse, so it works out.

Describe your styling regimen over the course of the month.
J:
When my hair was longer my monthly hair regimen was intense. Well, probably not to normal people, actually. But for me? Yeah, it was a headache. In the beginning, I woke up, threw some Mane and Tail on my hair in the shower, washed it out, toweled it off a little bit, dug my hands in there and moved them back and forth rather quickly. Then I moved them in a counter-clockwise direction. Then I shook my head a few times. Done. After a while, I started dating a woman who was super into her natural hair and maintaining it/growing it (purposefully)/um…combing it/etc. She took one look at my hair up close and was like, “Seriously, Jill?” Soon, she took it over and started combing and braiding it once a week. Once we broke up I realized I had no idea how to braid hair. What did I do, you ask? Well, of course I made my mom do it. After a few months of that, I realized that dealing with my hair as it was just wasn’t for me. So I chopped it off a few months ago with the help of some scissors, some clippers, and a couple of mirrors. I still comb it regularly (maybe twice a month) and I finger-comb it daily. But no more braids and no more mom. Okay, fine. She cut it that first time. But since then? All me. I use whatever is under my sink. Sometimes it’s Matrix Curl Life. Sometimes it’s Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. And you know what? I still swear by Mane and Tail. If it’s good enough for Mr. Ed, it’s good enough for me.

DSC_0027

What does wash day look like for you?
J:
Wash Day is the worst day ever. I use more cleaning products than hair products because when I’m done there’s hair everywhere. But that’s neither here nor there. Now that I’ve cut my hair, it’s much easier. I use Matrix Curl Life Shampoo and condition with Mane and Tail Leave-In Conditioner. It takes about 45 minutes and I do it in the shower. It’s not the “greenest” activity in the world, but luckily it’s only a couple times a month. When my hair was longer, I washed it a lot, but I didn’t comb it out every time. The result? The greatest fro the world has ever known. Was it basically just one large dreadlock? Sure. But I got so many compliments…

Describe your favorite go-to hairstyle for days when you don’t have a lot of time to style.
J:
I only really have one style these days. When my hair was longer, I’d sometimes sport my comb-out day braids a few extra days if I didn’t have the time to deal with it. I’d wear them all pulled back or a throw a beanie on over them. These days my hair doesn’t really have the option to rebel and it doesn’t take a lot of time.

How do you combat shrinkage?
J:
Shrinkage, huh? I just roll with it. It’s much better now that my hair is shorter, but even before…I didn’t try to fight it. I used the same methods to do my hair and eventually I’d wake up one morning, look in the mirror, and realize, “She’s baaaaaaack.”

What are some of your problem areas (if any) that require special care and attention?
J:
The back of my hair is the most ridiculously textured section. It looks like I stole it from a newborn baby and glued it in. One time my little brother asked me why my hair was young Michael Jackson in the front and older Michael Jackson in the back. In fact, I made the mistake of trying for dreadlocks once. The rest of my hair—no prob. The back of my hair was like, “Sorry, homie. Not in this lifetime.” It unraveled immediately. Right now I’m battling it by simply cutting it shorter than the rest of my hair. It hides the texture and I know it’s time for a cut when I see it trying to curl and act grown. Get it?!

What are 2 do’s for your texture?
J:
2 Do’s for my texture? Always deep condition (especially during a wash) and wear a headband when you exercise. I try to avoid forehead rashes at all costs.

What are 2 don’ts for your texture?
J:
2 Don’ts would be: Don’t pull out all those little knots that show up at the ends of your fro (no matter how fun and deeply satisfying it is), and never go to sleep on wet hair. You’ll wake up looking like Laura Winslow in those later seasons. LAID.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
J:
You can find me on Instagram at: jillisblack. Don’t show up at my house and ask to borrow my Mane and Tail. I won’t tolerate it.

About Meosha

Chaunta Black
Chaunta Black

Wonder if she is using mane and tail condish or shampoo? Seems drying to me but if it works for her that’s fine.

Reply to  Chaunta Black

It’s Mane and Tail Leave-In Conditioner. I use Matrix Curl Life Shampoo. You know, I don’t have any issues with it drying my hair out. I’ve been using it for at least 10 years. Who knows, though? Maybe I’m combating it with other products immediately after getting out of the shower so I don’t even get a chance to notice? I don’t know. It’s like that other Jill says, “Everything ain’t for everybody.”

Chaunta
Chaunta
Reply to  Jill Louise B

Thanks for replying Jill! You are so right everything aint for everybody. Lol. I didnt know mane and tail had so many products. Maybe I’ll check out the leave in. Your hair is pretty!

imani
imani

Love her honesty.wash day is the worst for me.I’m trying everything 2 simply it.I can’t avoid massive tangles no matter how much condish,oils I use .no matter how many setions I part it into,no matter if I wash it lose or in twisits or braids, I get tangles! tangles! tangles! I’m starting 2 accept it…I end up with a tennis ball size of shed hair at the end of every wash day.I used 2 panic but now I shrug it off. It is what it is! And those little end knots? I now carry little scissors in my makeup cae.I.… Read more »

DiJah
DiJah
Reply to  imani

What I’ve notice is, if I detangle prior to washing my hair, I don’t end up with a golf ball size of shed hair. Maybe you could try that

LBell
LBell
Reply to  DiJah

Co-sign…get as much shed hair out BEFORE the water hits your hair. I usually give myself an hour and I put my hair into large sections as I’m doing it. Whatever I don’t get out in that hour comes out during the wash process. And speaking of the wash process…hopefully you’re washing sections in a downward motion and not piling loose hair on top of your head. Let the water help remove shed hair as well…

T.
T.

I liked this interview so much — it made me smile, and I loved the easy-going attitude to your hair.

By the way, Jill, can I borrow some of your Mane & Tail? 😉

Reply to  T.

Your words were very kind…but you still ain’t getting your hands on my 2‑for‑1 Walgreens bottles of Mane and Tail. One must protect those with one’s life! 🙂

Deeds
Deeds

I love your writing style and sense of humor! You should think about being a writer. Your haircut is dope.

CherishBomb

These people with the superhero short wash times are killing me. I WISH it only took me 45 min.

Ellipsis

Super hot free spirit gal. i love interviews like this.…just because we’re natural doesn’t mean we are all militant about our hair

Think Like Linda

Great article, I love your curls :).

silkynaps
silkynaps

Beautiful hair, wonderful personality, funny hairstory!!!

Asana

My spirit animal lol Loved reading this feature. Gorgeous hair and I love your simply regimen. I’m on my second big chop after 3yrs of being natural and I love your simplistic approach. Nice style.

Kita

Wash day for me is literally 30min. I’m trying to figure out what everyone is doing that takes so long lol but Jill’s spirit shines through these words. I smiled while reading lol great hair too!

LBell
LBell
Reply to  Kita

Re wash day: I posted above how I spend no more than an hour removing shed hair and sectioning before jumping under the water (shower head or sink faucet). Once I’m there though, we’re talking 15 minutes at the MOST. Maybe it’s because I pay for the water I use, I dunno. Are the long wash times for people with super-thick and/or super-long heads of hair?

Hey BGLH, can I suggest the following as possible future article topics?
— How Long Is Your Wash Day?
— How To Save Time During Wash Day

Kelcie
Kelcie

Wow!! I wish I lived close to her, I could use some of her “freeness” LOL. When I first read the interview, I thought she was kidding about the hair in the back versus the front. Then when I scrolled down to the pics, saw it and was like Whoa! (in my Joey Lawrence voice). It’s a big difference, but it looks very nice. This made my day already. Great interview Jill!!

Reply to  Kelcie

Riiiiiight?! Everyone who REALLY looks at it is mystified. Here’s an even better visual.
[img]https://bglh-marketplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/image-23.jpg[/img]

Teetee
Teetee

So are these pics current cause she refers to her hair being both long and short however these pictures are a lot of hair. Is the cut very recent

Reply to  Teetee

Most recent picture up there is of me and my mom. I’m donning an obnoxious vegan sweatshirt–as is she. That is what my hair looks like right now at this very moment.

Jasmine
Jasmine
Reply to  Jill Louise B

THAT is you sister! That is NOT your mom!! wow, she is absolutely gorgeous, as you are. 😉

Em
Em

Literally LOLed while reading this. Love the sense of humor and the go-with-the-glow approach. And your hair looks great!

Charon Parker
Charon Parker

I like her hair and personality. Had me cracking up a few times while reading this article. For her wash days, maybe she could use coconut oil by itself or use it together with a conditioner that has a lot of slip as a pre-poo for detangling and softening the hair. Maybe you could use your own mane n’ tail leave-in as a pre-poo but like Jill Scott said, “everything aint for everybody. Coconut oil by itself works wonders for my hair while it does more harm to other women’s hair.

erigirl
erigirl

and never go to sleep on wet hair. You’ll wake up looking like Laura Winslow in those later seasons. LAID.”

:DEAD:

Erica
Erica

So funny!!

My mom and I have that weird patch in the back too. mine is a lot smaller though. My mom used to have locks and her back row of hair was 3 braids haha. That hair refused to lock.

Great personality and perfect for my procrastination break at work ha.

SamtheDiva
SamtheDiva

She is so uber cool (yes, I had to break out UBER). I love her description of her hair texture because my hair is about a 4a/b and 5g in the middle, but I made the mistake of watching one too many hair videos with my aunt. My goal was to inspire her to do her hair…I ended up doing her hair 🙁 What started out as a fair family price turned into slave labor in Bangladesh. I literally cried with 2 hrs of work left because she was so picky and her hair is definitely in the 9 category.… Read more »

LBell
LBell

This is probably one of the funniest BGLH interviews I’ve read in a while. I’ve got to borrow SamtheDiva’s word: Jill, you are definitely uber cool. 🙂

Elle
Elle

Great interview, and yay for the Bay!

Jill’s hair looks so much like mine — including that insane, super-slippery straight section in the back! I’ve only met one other person with that extreme texture difference. And yes, locs, twists, braids are out of the question, even gel won’t hold a style back there. Her stacked ploufy hair in the pic where she’s showing off the ‘enough’ tattoo is my favorite.

PS: I dropped out of law school too, hope it was as right a decision for you as it was for me.

gigi
gigi

Holy diverse-textures-on-one-head batman! 😀 love it! I’ve got something similar happening with mine, but not quite as intense — the back could never stay braided as a kid, and after going back to natural as an adult, it still mesmerizes. During the perm days it seemed like the relaxer would eat it up — always the most embarrassingly broken part of my hair, constantly had to hide my nape… I feel you chica! meanwhile, back to school young lady! 🙂 maybe not law if you don’t want that… something about you seems rather brilliant…

Joy
Joy

It’s official. I have a crush! Not a hair crush…a crush-crush. Jill has great style and doesn’t seem to take herself or her natural-ness too seriously. How refreshing!

Reply to  Joy

Uh-oh! 😉

Joy
Joy
Reply to  Jill Louise B

You did say “ex-girlfriend,” right Jill? 🙂

Reply to  Joy

I did, I did! 🙂

Shantay
Shantay

I like you!!! Lol. You remind me of my younger cousin, so free. I too am not about that all day hair washing affair. Loved your interview.

tina
tina

Stop making your hair sound hard it’s annoying

Reply to  tina

Okay, my hair is REALLY easy to maintain. Now everyone is happy.

Lauren
Lauren

Lol TOO funny. <3

Jacky
Jacky

Your hair is gorgeous and i love your smile

Caramelcurls
Caramelcurls

One time my little brother asked me why my hair was young Michael Jackson in the front and older Michael Jackson in the back.”—-> I CAN’T! lol!!! LOVE this girl’s sense of humor and clever writing, and of course her hair is fab!

StillSuga
StillSuga

Okay Jill is hilarious! I need to find her on Twitter, lol

Camillia
Camillia

I absolutely adore this woman!!!! I enjoyed her interview and her freedom to be herself. Beautiful lady inside and out and I dig her hair too:)