6 Products that Moisturize and Define Natural Curls

Avatar • Dec 11, 2013

Still getting used to this new hair! On day 3 of my @soultanicals x @tginatural x @kurleebelle #washngo . Loving the fullness! Still over the moon about my #DevaCut from @surgeoh at @devachanculvercity. #naturalhair #sizecheck #naturalhairdaily #trialsntresses #curlkitchen #curlygirlcollective #ilnh #teamnatural_ #kurleebelle #naturalhairuniverse #Soultanicals #tgin

Although I’m not that big on hair typing, for the sake of simplicity, I’ll occasionally write an article that addresses “Type 3” hair. This is one of those articles. If I had to, I’d describe my hair as multi-textured, but for the most part, all of it falls somewhere within the 3 category. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with simplifying/condensing my wash and go product lineup. Normally, I use a leave-in conditioner, moisturizer, sealer, and definer. However, as natural hair product companies get more creative, I’ve been able to scale back on the defining products. There are a host of products that not only hydrate, but they contain butters and oils for nourishing the hair, and some light hold (alcohol free) ingredients as well. Here are 7 awesome products that will help you kill two birds with one stone in your routine:

1. tgin Twist & Define Cream

twist-cream-closedjpg

Based in coconut oil, and infused with Vitamin E and Pro-Vitamin B‑5, this creamy, borderline pudding/custard is lightweight, but great for moisturizing and defining curls. I had my doubts about it at first, but the proof is definitely in the pudding (no pun intended). It left my curls defined, hydrated, and ever so slightly elongated. They were super soft too! I couldn’t stop touching my hair. The fragrance is sweet and slightly floral, and in no way overbearing. Bonus: this product is shea butter and protein-free, for those that don’t care for those particular ingredients.

2. Cream and Coco Gooseberry Aloe Pudding

Gooseberry_Pudding__74432.1385155627.1280.1280

Formerly known as “Curls For Days”, this reinvented defining pudding is loaded with all kinds of curl-friendly goodies. Based in avocado oil, shea butter, and aloe vera juice, this pudding goes on slightly thick, but remains incredibly lightweight. The sweet berry fragrance is a nice touch, but won’t leave you walking around smelling strongly of candy. The pudding left my hair touchably soft, yummy-smelling, and gently defined. It doesn’t have as much hold as some of the other products listed, but it definitely holds its own! Additionally, the Gooseberry Aloe Pudding does not contain coconut oil, making it a great alternative for those who prefer avoid that ingredient.

3. Kurlee Belle  Kurl Defining Crème

tmb-topKurl Defining Creme20130411161751-161

Another one that came as a shock to me was the Kurl Defining Crème. I had this product pegged as simply just a moisturizer, but Kurlee Belle wasn’t going to go out like that! Packed with coconut oil, shea butter, cupuacu butter, and argan oil, this super moisturizing product also defines curls quite well. I had initially set out to layer it with the Jelle Coconut Styling Gel (the two make an awesome pair for even more definition), but I realized that the Kurl Defining Crème was more than capable of doing the job. The Kurl Defining Crème is protein free — for those that may have protein-sensitive hair, and has a gentle, vanilla-like fragrance similar to Soultanicals Fluffalicious Curl Nutricious.

4. Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

A hybrid of butters, oils, and aloe vera, the Aloe Whip Butter Gel is raved about in forums and reviews online. I can’t find it in any Target stores locally (boo), so I’ve settled for ordering it online to see what all the jazz is about. Loaded with aloe, macadamia oil, and avocado oil plus vitamins and extracts. Word on the street is, it defines without crunch, tames frizz and flyaways, and delivers consistent results. I can’t wait to see what all the fuss is about! This product is free of coconut oil, shea butter, and protein.

5. Jane Carter Solution Incredible Curls

Incredible Curls 8 oz

Based in shea butter, jojoba and avocado oils, this incredibly light and relatively new product offering from Jane Carter Solution is great at defining curls and taming frizz. It is not my favorite in terms of fragrance (it has a very strong perfumed, almost cologne-like smell), but the product most certainly delivers. As with most of the products on this list, Incredible Curls works best on wet hair — providing shine, definition, and hold without crunch and dryness. It is also protein and coconut oil free, in case your hair objects to either of those ingredients.

6. Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling Slip

mangodipbottle__13027.1351766784.1280.1280

Okay, so this one is not a pudding, custard, or cream. It is sold by Soultanicals as a detangler and leave-in conditioner. However, I discovered on accident that it makes quite the curl defining product — likely due to the presence of aloe vera juice and flaxseed gel inside. It is loaded with extracts, herbs, oils, and butters, but still manages to be super slippy and lightweight. It distributes easily though the hair, and has a great tropical mango scent. Yes, it works great as a detangler (click here to watch me work with it), but it makes a pretty awesome shea butter, coconut oil, and protein-free curl defining product as well.

What are some of your favorite 2‑for‑1 combo products?

For more from Christina check out her blog, The Mane Objective. You can also find her on Instagram and Facebook.

About Christina Patrice

Born, raised, and living in Los Angeles, Christina is BGLH's resident transitioning expert and product junkie. In addition to loving all things hair, she is a fitness novice and advocate of wearing sandals year-round. For more information on transitioning, natural hair, and her own hair journey, visit maneobjective.com. Or, if you like pictures follow Christina on Instagram @maneobjective.

A
A

nothing moisturizes or defines my coils better than Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé. It has the consistency of gel but it works as a moisturizers and curl definer. It has been the best product I have used for my twist outs and while it does leave my hair oily and slick it does define, moisturize, weigh down, and add shine.

Love this stuff!

Adrienne
Adrienne

My hair is kinky curly for the most part. Eco styler gel provides the best hold and definition for me. But I cannot stand the way it irritates my scalp. My hair is EXTREMELY thick and gets knotty and tangled if I allow my hair to shrink up into an afro puff. Defining my curls helps to lessen the amount of knots I get if I’m feeling too lazy to stretch my hair out. But the defining products found in this article don’t seem to be heavy enough to weigh my hair down like I’d like them to. Does anyone… Read more »

Dananana
Dananana
Reply to  Adrienne

I know what you mean by that “heavy enough” bit, lol. I have a lot of luck with Aunt Jackie’s Knot On My Watch when I’m going for definition. I layer it over my aloe gel/glycerin spritz and seal with Giovanni Direct Leave-in. Some caveats: 1) I haven’t tried this since it got cold because I’m a fall/winter protective styler to the max. 2) Knot On My Watch is based in shea butter and olive oil, but I’m pretty sure it has some ‘cones/synthetic ingredients. My hair doesn’t mind these things in moderation, but I know it might bother some.… Read more »

Adrienne
Adrienne
Reply to  Dananana

I’m glad someone understands what I mean when I say I need a heavy product. Other people usually talk about getting products that wont weigh down their hair. I’m going to look into this because I love shea butter and olive oil.

biancarichards
biancarichards
Reply to  Adrienne

Hi, i have a combination of 3C-4A fine curly/coily hair always in demand of moisture, by trying the Oyin Handmade brand it definitely turned my hair from dry, tangled to define and moisturise hair. I use the Hair Dew then seal with argan, jojoba or ricin (i find ricin super good for the winter) and then apply the Whipped pudding from Oyin. I’m starting to reuse Camille Rose naturals curlaide butter + hair milk it’s really good. Also i prepoo with LUSH Henna jazmine&fluff, it makes my hair much more soft and manageable than the usual handmande prepoo i used… Read more »

kris
Reply to  Adrienne

I Have kinky curly hair too (4a) and I’ve gotten the best shine, definition, hold And softness from Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie with the curling souffle on top. The souffle feels pretty gross when you first apply, but baby (in my monique voice) when it dries it is so soft. Hope this helps

biancarichards
biancarichards
Reply to  kris

i should really try the curling soufflé with the smoothie, because i didn’t really now how to manage it even with a finger tip amount…

Cece Danielle
Cece Danielle
Reply to  Adrienne

Thats so true! I have mostly 4b hair and products that weigh it down are ideal. Tangles and knots are not fun.

Sandy
Sandy
Reply to  Adrienne

Try Qhemet Biologics, It’s a nice thickness.

FroBunni

After trying a wash n go this past weekend, and having horrid results from gel, I pretty much was going to give up on it. But I think maybe a pudding is a better option for my hair (I’ve never tried one before). I am saving this list for the summer where wash n gos are my only option because of the humidity! Plus, I can add 2 new natural hair companies that I have never heard about before (the first two). Thank You BGLH

Teetee
Teetee

Never tried any of the products listed

askvivi
askvivi

Haven’t tried any of those but I will add them to my list! I also recommend argan oil products by Pro naturals, they’re all sulfate and sodium free and are really good for curls.

Courtney
Courtney

For this winter Carol’s Daughter Healthy Hair Butter and Mimosa Hair Honey gives me moisture and definition. Actually all year round it does. Oh and Loc Butter is good too 🙂

MissTiny
MissTiny

wait, type 3 hair needs “curl definition”?!?!…god I love this blog, lol

True2U
True2U

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I give up!! I’m practically a product junkie. I’m not buying hair products why? Because none had EVER WORKED!!!!! No matter what I put in my hair it flakes, and I’m talking about freshly washed hair. ‑_- I just roll with Shea butter and if I want a braid out(Only once have I ever had a success, an I’m 4 years natural)I will make some flax seed gel.

Tabatha
Tabatha
Reply to  True2U

I feel your pain on the successful twist out. I’m still trying to get one myself.

Mac
Mac

I’m not sure of my hair numbers, really. I’m guessing 3c at the crown and nape, 4a in crescents over the ears, and holy stubborn hell at the hairline. What I am sure if is that it desperately wants to wave (tightly) and not spiral, and from scalp to about two to three inches the individual hairs do NOT wish to be friends, but gather up into proper little bundles on the way down after that. I ADORE Kinky Curly Curling Custard — heavy enough, smooths the hairline, moisturizes, and doesn’t contain any funny stuff, and it even contributes to… Read more »

Joy
Joy

I have clumpy, curly hair and I swear by Jane Carter’s Curl Defining Cream. When Incredible Curls arrived at my target, I thought about switching over until I read the ingredients list. It has the exact same ingredients as the Curl Defining Cream, but the curl defining cream has more ounces of product for the same price. Unless you really prefer a squeeze bottle over a jar, I’d highly suggest trying the Curl Defining Cream first!

Tabatha
Tabatha

I used Jane Carter’s and I didn’t like it at all. It didn’t define anything in my hair and it made my hair crunchy and my hair looked ashy. I washed it out the next morning and took it back to the store. So far I have liked EcoGel with Argan oil and As I Am Defining Twist Cream. However with the EcoGel I put a little bit of Almond oil in my hair just in case it wants to get crunchy on me seeing that its a gel.

Natural Me
Natural Me

I mixed Twist and Define Cream for Natural Hair with Milton“s Premium Shea Butter and my hair was popping.

femi ramos
femi ramos

Please write about products for type 4 hair,

Mart
Reply to  femi ramos

Try the sweet coconut butter on this site http://Www.naturalsis72.com

Mrs.Mason
Mrs.Mason

what products are best for perm rod styles?

tink
tink

Not really sure which of these products is best for me? I have naturally curly hair and when straightened it sits just above my bra strap down my back (so you know its not short) but my curls bounce so much they sit on my shoulder which then makes my hair shape triangular! My hair is slightly afro so I do use oils, but nothing weighs my curls down enough so they sit at a decnet length! I’ve tried tons of product! Please help?